WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

beerrun

Reaction score
Screensho(2).jpg

wallnutz

Reaction score
The people alone are probably 1000 pounds.
5 guys at 200 each more or less?
The thing probably weighs more than that? Add in drag and it’s like pulling in a flat dumpster lid.
The logistics are stifling.
Even if they knew exactly where it was, and went straight down and latched on to it (assuming it’s not being pushed all over the ocean floor) then your looking at retrieval while drifting as to decrease weight and drag coefficient its basically impossible in a limited time frame.
Worst case scenario is if it did not implode, best case is they imploded and died instantly.
Unless of course they are bobbing around somewhere, I’ve been wrong before, it wouldn’t be terrible to be wrong now.
That’s a possibility, they could have floated to the top and are bobbing around and can’t get out. Who knows how far they could have drifted.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Seems this Oceangate Expedition operation was shooting from the hip from their very beginning. Not necessarily a bad thing. That’s because there are no stipulated relegating bodies, ABS, BV etc. For sure not the USCG. It’s the Wild West of Deep Sea Diving with humans onboard.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If that sealed vessel, only able to be opened from the exterior, had somehow made its way to the surface, would it then be able to take on fresh air, while it remained sealed? Sad deal.

Mikes56

Reaction score
An attorney representing the family’s is going to have a field day with the construction and deployment of this submersible. I’m thinking Oceangate is done. I checked their website and they are looking for engineers and operators. Umm hell no!

arch stanton

Reaction score
on average 150,000 people die on this planet every day like has been said we all are going to die
i drive the freeway every day like most of you and if one of us dies on the highway tomorrow it’s unlikely the news media will cover it
maybe being famous is what they wanted ?
Congratulations you will be a footnote in history and a trivial pursuit answer

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Challenger Deep, the deepest known areas of our oceans is nearly 36k feet deep. Humans first successfully went there back in 1960. As yet, tourist visits to this location have not occurred.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Anyone have a countdown clock going for the estimated time they run out of oxygen? IF they all stayed alive?
Im hawking the time clock.... fascinating situation. Im starting to think about what will be outcome of this
1. They never find it
2. They find it imploded on sea floor
3. They bring her up and 5 dead
4. They bring her up 5 living.

Wild stuff.... morbid to think of but I just hope if its not a good outcome the media handles well. Fat chance

welldigger00

Reaction score
Lol
Welldigger understands it!
Ive run over shot many times, both in a cased well and open hole. Mind you nothing more than 800ish feet. I can see how it’s gotta be a bitch getting on the fish at that depth, you’ve long since lost feel. And you must circ every joint, so it don’t load up? If so, what a pain in the ass. I had a few different strings of jars for my cable tool, I’m sure hydraulic jars work under the same concept, other that youve got no rope to feel what’s happening. Nothing like getting a bulldog trip spear set hard into a string and start whacking at it with the jars, and she aint coming. That’ll test your patience. Number one rule with fishing, don’t run anything down hole you can’t retrieve. Or mill up😉

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I don't know. The insane pressure at that depth obviously involves specialized knowledge. Can you imagine the force of 5,500 PSI acting on a joint that's maybe seven or eight feet in diameter? It has to be incredible.
Which makes the reported collaboration with NASA “it’s built to aerospace standards” all the more puzzling to me.

The vacuum of space and the depths of the ocean are very different things.

Collaborating with the navy makes a lot more sense to my pea-sized brain.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
on average 150,000 people die on this planet every day like has been said we all are going to die
i drive the freeway every day like most of you and if one of us dies on the highway tomorrow it’s unlikely the news media will cover it
maybe being famous is what they wanted ?
Congratulations you will be a footnote in history and a trivial pursuit answer
Yep
43 people have been killed in Chicago in the last 21 days, not counting natural deaths.
Can anyone here name one of them?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Ive run over shot many times, both in a cased well and open hole. Mind you nothing more than 800ish feet. I can see how it’s gotta be a bitch getting on the fish at that depth, you’ve long since lost feel. And you must circ every joint, so it don’t load up? If so, what a pain in the ass. I had a few different strings of jars for my cable tool, I’m sure hydraulic jars work under the same concept, other that youve got no rope to feel what’s happening. Nothing like getting a bulldog trip spear set hard into a string and start whacking at it with the jars, and she aint coming. That’ll test your patience. Number one rule with fishing, don’t run anything down hole you can’t retrieve. Or mill up😉
Lol
I’ve ran bull dogs on cable rigs!
It’s tedious.
On deep jobs it’s all about accurate tally and differential psi.
When your close you establish a set circulating rate and psi.
When your overshot goes over the fish you can see a slight increase in psi.
I’ll have 1 foot lines on the pipe from the connection on the last calculated joint. So when the tally says I’m there, and I see that diff increase I know I’m at the top.
If circ psi is let’s say 800 psi at minimum rate, and I can verify say a 300 pound increase 2-3 times repeated, it takes the guesswork out of it.
Then we’ll just go down from there to max fishneck length (usually a couple feet) and actuate the dies.
Typically with right hand torque with these tools.

4Waters

Reaction score
How quick can you say, Oh Fuck! And does it really matter? Lives have likely been lost. There’s nothing funny about that.
That was kinda my point, would/did that system help. My guess is they were around 8k feet at the time they lost contact, if it alerted them and they initiated every system they had to surface I don't think it would have helped. The hull is compromised and the pressure wants in. I think it was just a "You're fucked" alarm

rrrr

Reaction score
Which makes the reported collaboration with NASA “it’s built to aerospace standards” all the more puzzling to me.

The vacuum of space and the depths of the ocean are very different things.

Collaborating with the navy makes a lot more sense to my pea-sized brain.
Indeed.

I had to look this up to confirm my memory. During the Mercury-Gemini-Apollo era, US spacecraft were pressurized to 5 PSI. The space shuttle was and International Space Station is pressurized to 14.7 PSI, the same as Earth at sea level. Making spacecraft substantial enough to resist the vacuum of space is child's play compared to operating a manned vehicle at the 5,500 PSI environment of the Titanic's depth.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Indeed.

I had to look this up to confirm my memory. During the Mercury-Gemini-Apollo era, US spacecraft were pressurized to 5 PSI. The space shuttle was and International Space Station is pressurized to 14.7 PSI, the same as Earth at sea level. Making spacecraft substantial enough to resist the vacuum of space is child's play compared to operating a manned vehicle at the 5,500 PSI environment of the Titanic's depth.
With the early cabin pressures being maintained so low, it seems like that would be hard on the crew's respiratory function.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't know. The insane pressure at that depth obviously involves specialized knowledge. Can you imagine the force of 5,500 PSI acting on a joint that's maybe seven or eight feet in diameter? It has to be incredible.

I don’t think hatches are nuclear subs are that big.. let alone this little guy..

rrrr

Reaction score
Seems this Oceangate Expedition operation was shooting from the hip from their very beginning. Not necessarily a bad thing. That’s because there are no stipulated relegating bodies, ABS, BV etc. For sure not the USCG. It’s the Wild West of Deep Sea Diving with humans onboard.
It had to be a shoestring operation.

The French explorer knew the risks, he had been there before. It seems unlikely the British billionaire, the Pakistani multimillionaire, and his 19 year old son made a sober and detailed assessment of the danger they signed up for.

When you think about how much money should have been spent to assure a vessel meant to withstand the demands of diving 2½ miles under the ocean's surface was reasonably safe, the $1,000,000 the four passengers were charged for their adventure was laughably cheap.

First there's the engineering and construction costs to build the sub. Add paying for the land based facilities along with their operating costs, the support ship, and the personnel required to staff the operation. Then there's the maintenance, seasonal, and weather limitations on how many missions could be accomplished per year. Two? Maybe.

You guys run businesses. It's easy to see a million dollars per mission couldn't build and operate the organization unless everything was done cheaply.

One would think intelligent and serious businessmen that had dealt with risk evaluation their entire careers might have had better judgement.

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score
I don’t think hatches are nuclear subs are that big.. let alone this little guy..

The hatch or door on this sub is not really a door. It's the whole front nose cap they unbolt, you get inside and they bolt it back on. So what ever the diameter of the sub is the size of the "door". To me this sub doesn't have any door, they just unbolt a wall, put you inside and put the sub back together.

rrrr

Reaction score
With the early cabin pressures being maintained so low, it seems like that would be hard on the crew's respiratory function.
They were breathing pure oxygen. That would have kept oxygen saturation levels at 100%.

Kfabe

Reaction score
Real bummer. This venture is no different than that of Musk & Bezos & Branson chasing flight into space. There will undoubtedly be tragedies and loss of life through the development of technologies for civilian space travel.
I respectfully disagree I don’t think that any of the gentlemen you mentioned are buying parts for their space shuttles from camper world or controlling the craft with a $20 dollar X-Box remote control. Also it’s been said that the OceanGate CEO skimped out on testing and that several former engineers warned of a catastrophic outcome. Musk for example has been testing his rockets for years. In fact I’d be willing to bet that all of the three gentlemen that you mentioned have PLENTY of 50 year old whites working for them. 🧐

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It had to be a shoestring operation.

The French explorer knew the risks, he had been there before. It seems unlikely the British billionaire, the Pakistani multimillionaire, and his 19 year old son made a sober and detailed assessment of the danger they signed up for.

When you think about how much money should have been spent to assure a vessel meant to withstand the demands of diving 2½ miles under the ocean's surface was reasonably safe, the $1,000,000 the four passengers were charged for their adventure was laughably cheap.

First there's the engineering and construction costs to build the sub. Add paying for the land based facilities along with their operating costs, the support ship, and the personnel required to staff the operation. Then there's the maintenance, seasonal, and weather limitations on how many missions could be accomplished per year. Two? Maybe.

You guys run businesses. It's easy to see a million dollars per mission couldn't build and operate the organization unless everything was done cheaply.

One would think intelligent and serious businessmen that had dealt with risk evaluation their entire careers might have had better judgement.

So weirdly enough…. I know a lot of rich guys.

There’s some that are crazy smart in life.. and there’s some that are crazy smart in business.

It’s about an 80:20 business vs life.. someone said it earlier that a lot of these guys think their skills transcend all things. That pretty much nailed it.

I can literally hear some people I know bragging about how they spent 500k to take their kid down to the titanic and never even thinking something bad would happen to them..

The I think about guys like say @Go-Fly That would take one look at that operation on arrival and say fuck that.

When I was younger I used to jump in just about every fast skater you could imagine.. shit 13-14 years ago hanging out with Vern etc if you weren’t running 160+ you weren’t shit.

It took one hang over where I sent hammer and he almost died.. and one really terrifying ride in a DCB m35 for me to realize just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you know what your doing. I’m super super selective as to what boats I will ride in anymore..

Not that long ago I was in a decent sized center console and everytime the guy turned it was hopping all over the place and generally unhappy. I told the guy the boat isn’t happy and he should listen to it. He said that’s the way the boat is.. I said Jon Cosker would never release a boat that handles like this.. I gave him a piece of advice to maybe back the trim off about 50% of where it was at.. low and behold.

I had my son in that boat.. boat ran 90mph. My tolerance for bullshit is on the short side in that scenario.

Should he noted it never got so outta shape I was concerned.. it just was unhappy.

On another note though I wouldn’t think twice to jump in one of Randy’s Nordic ski race boats with him and prop it up to see what it would do.. or go run some small boat endurance record in the ocean..

Or jump in with Gary smith or chip Romer for a 180-200’ish mph ride. I wouldn’t do it in a shootout but I’d do it on a lake day.

Inversely though.. I have watched what is regarded as some of the most respected people in the industry.. and they couldn’t dock a boat if it had a one of those new Merc joysticks on it. Lol.

Shits crazy in this industry. Generally boat racers are the worst fucking drivers you have ever seen.

Sorry got on a tangent..

To get back to the point.. I don’t get the point of getting in a sub to watch it in a video screen. If I was gonna do that I’d just watch it on YouTube (as we all can) save 500k and not jeopardize my life in the process.

RD

Cdog

Reaction score

There’s some that are crazy smart in life.. and there’s some that are crazy smart in business.

It’s about an 80:20 business vs life.. someone said it earlier that a lot of these guys think their skills transcend all things. That pretty much nailed it.

I can literally hear some people I know bragging about how they spent 500k to take their kid down to the titanic and never even thinking something bad would happen to them..

The I think about guys like say @Go-Fly That would take one look at that operation on arrival and say fuck that.

When I was younger I used to jump in just about every fast skater you could imagine.. shit 13-14 years ago hanging out with Vern etc if you weren’t running 160+ you weren’t shit.

It took one hang over where I sent hammer and he almost died.. and one really terrifying ride in a DCB m35 for me to realize just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you know what your doing. I’m super super selective as to what boats I will ride in anymore..

Not that long ago I was in a decent sized center console and everytime the guy turned it was hopping all over the place and generally unhappy. I told the guy the boat isn’t happy and he should listen to it. He said that’s the way the boat is.. I said Jon Cosker would never release a boat that handles like this.. I gave him a piece of advice to maybe back the trim off about 50% of where it was at.. low and behold.

I had my son in that boat.. boat ran 90mph. My tolerance for bullshit is on the short side in that scenario.

Should he noted it never got so outta shape I was concerned.. it just was unhappy.

On another note though I wouldn’t think twice to jump in one of Randy’s Nordic ski race boats with him and prop it up to see what it would do.. or go run some small boat endurance record in the ocean..

Or jump in with Gary smith or chip Romer for a 180-200’ish mph ride. I wouldn’t do it in a shootout but I’d do it on a lake day.

Inversely though.. I have watched what is regarded as some of the most respected people in the industry.. and they couldn’t dock a boat if it had a one of those new Merc joysticks on it. Lol.

Shits crazy in this industry. Generally boat racers are the worst fucking drivers you have ever seen.

Sorry got on a tangent..

To get back to the point.. I don’t get the point of getting in a sub to watch it in a video screen. If I was gonna do that I’d just watch it on YouTube (as we all can) save 500k and not jeopardize my life in the process.

RD

I race in the same formula car group as Chip Romer. Dude knows his craft. He races a P1. I'm in a FE2.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Sorry got on a tangent..

RD

There is a picture that "pops" up in here once in a while of you riding in the back of someone's boat and it showed "NO FEAR" whatsoever!!, and "Cool As A Cucumber!!😀

Actually, "Out Like A Light!!🤣