WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Hereā€™s a real deal sub with port holes.

What an unadulterated pile of crap! I read the whole thing and that POS doesnā€™t have a single X-box controller or grab handle from the discount bin at camping world. Who the fuck do they think they are fooling? Limiting factor my ass, should be called ā€œlimited budgetā€

rivergames

Reaction score

4Waters

Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Some of the comments here have me scratching my head. Hopefully they come out of it alive. After watching some specials about the Kursk a month ago it settles in that they are in a shitty situation, something to not really make fun of. Just like the Kursk they set off on an adventure/event expecting to return to the surface... shit happened and some suffered for awhile before dying a painful, scary, and hopeless death.

Honestly thatā€™s kind of how I feel about it.. I donā€™t see the humor in the memes

4Waters

Reaction score
Sounds like they heard something and are staggering recovery equipment in case they find it. Notice I said ā€œrecovery equipmentā€ and not ā€œrescue equipmentā€?
Oh yeah, I completely agree it's gonna be a recovery

Singleton

Reaction score
Sounds like they heard something and are staggering recovery equipment in case they find it. Notice I said ā€œrecovery equipmentā€ and not ā€œrescue equipmentā€?

100%.
I think they will find it (or the US Navy already know where it is), but recovering will take time and not enough air is left to save those crazy enough to do this type of adventure.

hallett21

Reaction score
Does anyone know why they bolt it from the outside? I would think you could achieve the same seal on the inside?

rivergames

Reaction score
Real bummer. This venture is no different than that of Musk & Bezos & Branson chasing flight into space. There will undoubtedly be tragedies and loss of life through the development of technologies for civilian space travel.
Civilian Space Travel worries me. I hope I'm long gone before I see that go down!

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Theyā€™re going at in the wrong direction.
Drag a couple lifting bags down there with the ROV, snatch it. Pull the pin and get the fuck out the way.

Have to be some really strong bags. Imagine the expansion from 5000psi to ambient! Bags would get larger as they get shallower, and the sub would be accelerating towards the surface.

May be able to sell it as a 2 for 1, visit the Titanic, and become an astronaut all in one day!

rrrr

Reaction score
Lol
Well, we recently fished a $2 million BHA string out from 16,400ā€™. 7ā€ cased to 11,000ā€™, open hole (6 1/8ā€) from 11,000ā€™ to the top of fish.
String was differentially stick so we ran a free point log and shot it off, then went in with an overshot and hyd jars.
You sound like the guy on the Retrocabulator video.

šŸ˜

Richard.E

Reaction score
Real bummer. This venture is no different than that of Musk & Bezos & Branson chasing flight into space. There will undoubtedly be tragedies and loss of life through the development of technologies for civilian space travel.
I would say this particular event and the work SpaceX has been doing isnā€™t in the the same conversation..
Trial and Errorā€¦. Learn thru mistakes. Rather be bold and take risks. Typically what spurs innovation and change.

Not to mention itā€™s not like NASA didnā€™t kill a bunch of people in multiple incidents over the years.

rrrr

Reaction score
Does anyone know why they bolt it from the outside? I would think you could achieve the same seal on the inside?
Because the joint has to resist pressure above 5,500 PSI at depth. The exterior of the titanium hatch is machined with bolt pads around the circumference, and there are threaded titanium inserts formed into the carbon fiber hull. The sealing surface looks to be at least five inches wide.

There's no way the required clamping force could be accomplished using an internal fastening scheme.

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

So they can get it open in the event of a recovery operation is my guess ā˜¹ļø

hallett21

Reaction score
Iā€™m
Because the joint has to resist pressure above 5,500 PSI at depth. The exterior of the titanium hatch is oversized with bolt pads around the circumference, and there are threaded titanium inserts formed into the carbon fiber hull.

There's no way the required clamping force could be accomplished using an internal fastening scheme.
does the outside pressure not ā€œwork with youā€ to maintain the seal?

pronstar

Reaction score

Based on the limited info thatā€™s been posted, it seems this sub has a bit of blatant disregard for accepted safety standards.

I mean, the whistleblower engineer was unseccessfully sued by the company for violating the NDA.
Some of the reported equipment ratings were for 1/3 the depth.
And it seems that destructive testing that other subs go thru was willfully not done, and they relied onā€the scienceā€

Iā€™m no expert on this stuff, just from what Iā€™m reading over the last few days.

Nordie

Reaction score
There might not be one single cable that long but you could splice cables together.

Between two winches you could alternate winding them in while the other winch feeds out the last used cable. Coil the cable on the deck or throw it overboard as they come up.

I did the math on if that submersible was at the Titanic, and a 1" cable. That's 260,000kish pounds. That's a lot of weight to move around to make any kind of connection. Also dropping it straight down it would probably still be thousands of feet off.

I want to hope for the best, but I think this submersible is now a tomb.

pronstar

Reaction score
Because the joint has to resist pressure above 5,500 PSI at depth. The exterior of the titanium hatch is machined with bolt pads around the circumference, and there are threaded titanium inserts formed into the carbon fiber hull. The sealing surface looks to be at least five inches wide.

Rolex uses a similar mechanism for the ring lock on the Deep Sea, methinks.

Worst-case and grim, everyone dies but the watch would survive. Rolex had James Cameron affixed to the outside of his sub to prove the depth rating.

C-Ya

Intā€™l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I just hope that the mystery of the missing submersible gets solved.

It is highly likely that we will never know what happened. 20 years from now, they wonā€™t know any more than they know today.

Its an interesting mystery that I would like to know the final outcome of, sooner than later.

It sure would be interesting if the submersible is found in the future, sitting un-imploded, on the bottom, miles from the Titanic. Once the found submersible would be pulled back onto ship, we could then see what these guys wrote or did, once they knew it was all over. That would be an interesting conclusion.

4Waters

Reaction score

It is highly likely that we will never know what happened. 20 years from now, they wonā€™t know any more than they know today.

Its an interesting mystery that I would like to know the final outcome of, sooner than later.

It sure would be interesting if the submersible is found in the future, sitting un-imploded, on the bottom, miles from the Titanic. Once the found submersible would be pulled back onto ship, we could then see what these guys wrote or did, once they knew it was all over. That would be an interesting conclusion.
This very well could be the flight MH370 of the ocean, it's been almost 10 years and we still don't know what happened to that plane and likely never will.

poncho

Reaction score

Me and a co worker were just discussing this. I wouldn't watch but it would be interesting to know the human dynamics when 5 people know their fate.
Assuming there is some sort of recording device onboard.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This very well could be the flight MH370 of the ocean, it's been almost 10 years and we still don't know what happened to that plane and likely never will.

I watched a pretty good documentary on it, it pretty much looks like the pilots purposely crashed it.

They followed all the known flight data and the pilots purposely turned the plane the wrong direction then made the ATC calls for the hand-offs into other airspace, and purposely flew right along the demarcation lines between 2 or 3 international airspace bodies so that each of the sectors would assume they were being directed by the other ATCs.

4Waters

Reaction score
I watched a pretty good documentary on it, it pretty much looks like the pilots purposely crashed it.

They followed all the known flight data and the pilots purposely turned the plane the wrong direction then made the ATC calls for the hand-offs into other airspace, and purposely flew right along the demarcation lines between 2 or 3 international airspace bodies so that each of the sectors would assume they were being directed by the other ATCs.

I'll try to remember to watch that

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I would say this particular event and the work SpaceX has been doing isnā€™t in the the same conversation..
Trial and Errorā€¦. Learn thru mistakes. Rather be bold and take risks. Typically what spurs innovation and change.

Not to mention itā€™s not like NASA didnā€™t kill a bunch of people in multiple incidents over the years.
Like the dude trying to launch himself in some home built rocket.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Have to be some really strong bags. Imagine the expansion from 5000psi to ambient! Bags would get larger as they get shallower, and the sub would be accelerating towards the surface.

May be able to sell it as a 2 for 1, visit the Titanic, and become an astronaut all in one day!
No because lift bags are open on the bottom. The sub would have some kind of bladder to maintain neutral buoyancy

cofooter

Reaction score
Was thinking that as well, the ocean is a huge place. The technology to explore large areas does not yet exist........

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
I love that guy. Trolled flat earthers and got them to donate to his rocket. He was going ā€œproveā€ the earth was flat.

Hell of a final ride lol
I remember when he was on Tosh.0, funny shit... šŸ˜„ RIP Rocket dude šŸ‘

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Absolutely..

If that Sub is currently intact how much would it weigh being pressurized and all?
The people alone are probably 1000 pounds.
5 guys at 200 each more or less?
The thing probably weighs more than that? Add in drag and itā€™s like pulling in a flat dumpster lid.
The logistics are stifling.
Even if they knew exactly where it was, and went straight down and latched on to it (assuming itā€™s not being pushed all over the ocean floor) then your looking at retrieval while drifting as to decrease weight and drag coefficient its basically impossible in a limited time frame.
Worst case scenario is if it did not implode, best case is they imploded and died instantly.
Unless of course they are bobbing around somewhere, Iā€™ve been wrong before, it wouldnā€™t be terrible to be wrong now.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Keep in mind the weight in water is equal to its weight out of the water minus the weight of the amount of water displaced. You have to know the weight of the displaced water which is simply the number of liters times its density, 1 kg per liter.