WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud……….

I wonder how much longer the air would last if I were to euthanize my other 4 passengers?

Desperate times call for desperate measures! Lol

I am thinking the air would now last 4 times longer.

When faced with imminent death, there’s always one person in the crowd who “would fuck anything that moves”.

Meanwhile, everyone else’s plan is to remain perfectly still 😂

4Waters

Reaction score
What if it is all dudes? Redefine circle jerk.
It is all dudes in that sub

MissingSubmersible_v02_DG_1687301254715_hpEmbed_4x5_992.jpg

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
This reminds me of some of the Apollo missions, especially 1 and 13. Lots of unknowns and a feeling of helplessness if something were to go wrong, hope there is a miracle, but RIP to those guys likely. What a way to go........

bonesfab

Reaction score
Drop a big magnet down and pick it up. Only problem with all the shrapnel from the Titanic it would come up looking like a magnet dropped in the bottom of a lathe.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Drop a big magnet down and pick it up. Only problem with all the shrapnel from the Titanic it would come up looking like a magnet dropped in the bottom of a lathe.
It’s carbon fiber and stainless steel.

calkid

Reaction score
If the emergency systems worked as designed and brought the vessel to the surface, would it be visible or be floating below the surface. I can't think of a worse case scenario then to be floating just below the surface and there are 14 fucking bolts installed from the outside "to keep me safe". Either way, they still run out of oxygen.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
That is if the sub has an eyelet to hook to but the winch will take hours to haul it up
Seemed strange, but one report I heard was that there are no winch cables that long. I am sure there is a limit to the diameter of the winch itself when the cable is fully retracted. Anybody know about this stuff?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
If the emergency systems worked as designed and brought the vessel to the surface, would it be visible or be floating below the surface. I can't think of a worse case scenario then to be floating just below the surface and there are 14 fucking bolts installed from the outside "to keep me safe". Either way, they still run out of oxygen.
14 because 13 wasn't enough, and 15 too many haha

4Waters

Reaction score
Seemed strange, but one report I heard was that there are no winch cables that long. I am sure there is a limit to the diameter of the winch itself when the cable is fully retracted. Anybody know about this stuff?
They had one long enough on the Abyss 🤣

IDK if there is one long enough? I'd be surprised if there wasn't but where in the world is it located, what are the chances it's local to the north eastern US coast and how would you get it to the location before time runs out if it's in India. I figure if they locate the sub intact it will be a recovery operation.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I went down the rabbit hole of watching some of the Oceangate videos on youtube last night. They have done many dives and have some crazy good 8k footage of the wreck, but it was just a matter of time with that harbor freight sub. Being bolted in the sub without an escape is a hard no, even if it surfaces you are still at the mercy of rescue finding you in time.
Good info. Thanks. Have not had time to search thru Utube about how many dives that tank has been thru. Again,also the stress of transport back & forth to dive sites.

hallett21

Reaction score
There might not be one single cable that long but you could splice cables together.

Between two winches you could alternate winding them in while the other winch feeds out the last used cable. Coil the cable on the deck or throw it overboard as they come up.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
There might not be one single cable that long but you could splice cables together.

Between two winches you could alternate winding them in while the other winch feeds out the last used cable. Coil the cable on the deck or throw it overboard as they come up.

Yeah, we use 1000ft sections of fiber optic cable at my work and they are on small spools, waist height.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I'm going to throw this out there, did anyone call Sea Tow or Tow Boat US ? I'm not sure that a prop change will be valid at this time.

I hate to say this but it's ironic that these five guys all put faith in an experimental sub that reaches depths beyond anything else out there. How could someone in their right mind say, “Seems like a great idea, here’s 250k, take me”. I’m sure that these individuals make calculated business decisions every day to create wealth, but their lack of common sense hindered their decision on this one. It’s not hard to be insensitive on topics like this where we are dealing with an uncertified prototype and marketing it to wealthy individuals to fund your adventures and trills.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It ain’t that simple.
As far as length and drum size, the “cable” would be staged in sections, not just one long cable.
Also, you’d be fighting North Atlantic currents that would probably take 50% more “cable” than strictly vertical depth.
When a tethered submersible goes under it has the ability to steer itself around and not just be dead weight on the line. I don’t know what those tethers look like or what they are composed of, but I doubt they are able to just drag a payload up from 12,000’. especially when adding the weight of the cable itself and the rescue vehicle attached to it.
On the 200’ dragger I worked on, pulling the full nets was the most dangerous part of the operation. The net, with its cables, and the currents (gulf of Alaska) could EASILY pull the boat over. It used a computerized stability system to run the multiple winches so the boat didn’t roll. And it was not that deep.
@poncho knows more about vessel stability and retrieval than most I suspect.

Basically, to have a cable strong enough and long enough to accomplish this would likely take months of preparation and a topside vessel on par with like the biggest salvage type vessel in existence?
I know I’ve seen documentaries where they’ve pulled subs off the ocean floor, but it took years of planning and even then they weren’t sure it would work.
While this thing may seem seem small, imagine pulling in an anchor line at 12,000’ deep and laid out at a 45* angle in North Atlantic currents. You’re going to face seemingly insurmountable challenges.
They’re dead before you even get the vessel fueled up, let alone rigged and positioned.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Id bet @wasthatguy could get them back up. I’m sure he’s fished for busted shit that deep. Same pressures, same blind fishing job that’s “theoretical”. Theyre going about this the wrong way. You need a redneck, not a scientist to retrieve busted shit.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I'm going to throw this out there, did anyone call Sea Tow or Tow Boat US ? I'm not sure that a prop change will be valid at this time.

I hate to say this but it's ironic that these five guys all put faith in an experimental sub that reaches depths beyond anything else out there. How could someone in their right mind say, “Seems like a great idea, here’s 250k, take me”. I’m sure that these individuals make calculated business decisions every day to create wealth, but their lack of common sense hindered their decision on this one. It’s not hard to be insensitive on topics like this where we are dealing with an uncertified prototype and marketing it to wealthy individuals to fund your adventures and trills.

I can't say what they were thinking. But Oceangate has been successful in previous trips to Titanic. So, it's not like it was the first time they have gone and that's good enough for some people. Some people are obsessed with Titanic. To some it would be a big feather in their cap to say have been to Titanic. Similar to Everest..

Bajastu

Reaction score
I can't say what they were thinking. But Oceangate has been successful in previous trips to Titanic. So, it's not like it was the first time they have gone and that's good enough for some people. Some people are obsessed with Titanic. To some it would be a big feather in their cap to say have been to Titanic. Similar to Everest..
Undersatandable. I guess in my mind, the feather is not worth the risk.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Damn WTG! I new you did this kind of thing! You were typing your post same time I did mine!
Lol
Well, we recently fished a $2 million BHA string out from 16,400’. 7” cased to 11,000’, open hole (6 1/8”) from 11,000’ to the top of fish.
String was differentially stick so we ran a free point log and shot it off, then went in with an overshot and hyd jars.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I read that on one previous dive, they lost comms with the sub for over 2 hours?

Scary shit

poncho

Reaction score
It ain’t that simple.
As far as length and drum size, the “cable” would be staged in sections, not just one long cable.
Also, you’d be fighting North Atlantic currents that would probably take 50% more “cable” than strictly vertical depth.
When a tethered submersible goes under it has the ability to steer itself around and not just be dead weight on the line. I don’t know what those tethers look like or what they are composed of, but I doubt they are able to just drag a payload up from 12,000’. especially when adding the weight of the cable itself and the rescue vehicle attached to it.
On the 200’ dragger I worked on, pulling the full nets was the most dangerous part of the operation. The net, with its cables, and the currents (gulf of Alaska) could EASILY pull the boat over. It used a computerized stability system to run the multiple winches so the boat didn’t roll. And it was not that deep.

Basically, to have a cable strong enough and long enough to accomplish this would likely take months of preparation and a topside vessel on par with like the biggest salvage type vessel in existence?
I know I’ve seen documentaries where they’ve pulled subs off the ocean floor, but it took years of planning and even then they weren’t sure it would work.
While this thing may seem seem small, imagine pulling in an anchor line at 12,000’ deep and laid out at a 45* angle in North Atlantic currents. You’re going to face seemingly insurmountable challenges.
They’re dead before you even get the vessel fueled up, let alone rigged and positioned.
Yep,
You would go out with an anchor vessel and barge would be my guess, the rigging alone would take several days and that's if everything you need is already in the yard. Everything is staged with crane picks and that takes a lot of time, once your geared up the travel isn't very fast towing a barge,
Things like this we would already be gearing up for a salvage and not a recovery unfortunately.
When something goes down that deep it's not interfering with navigation so there's no economical reason to go after it. It would take compassionate governments working together to do it simply because there are people on board.

The first dragger I worked on had a first time Captain onboard, unbeknownst to me. Before we hauled the bag I would work with the wheelhouse and find out how many tons were in it and what side of the trawl alley he planned to pull it up on. I had 4 huge fuel pumps that I would trim the boat to counter the tonnage coming aboard.

This fucking idiot proceeds to haul it up on the wrong side and layed us over bad, I'm on the radio screaming at him turn the fucking boat, I can't move fuel fast enough to counter the list. My one and only trip with that guy.

Funny side note to that, we stared at each other when I got onboard both knowing we knew each other somehow and not in a good way. Turned out I had gone to a party at his house in high school with a mutual friend. It was a sausage fest and when I mentioned that to my friend the Captain overheard me and said then leave, my answer was make me. 🤣

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Think there are any survivor side deals going on? Whispering of course.

hallett21

Reaction score
It ain’t that simple.

How about we tie the cables to an aircraft carrier and yell hit it! It’ll look like a 400lb water skier coming out of the water

4Waters

Reaction score

This sub is nothing like what James Cameron built to go down to titanic, Cameron's is top notch

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Lol
Well, we recently fished a $2 million BHA string out from 16,400’. 7” cased to 11,000’, open hole (6 1/8”) from 11,000’ to the top of fish.
String was differentially stick so we ran a free point log and shot it off, then went in with an overshot and hyd jars.

Speak engrish prease

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I can't believe every comment is I would never...... I couldn't afford it but I would.

I would rather live to 50 then die at 100 having never lived.