WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We can travel thousands of miles into space….but can’t go 2 miles under water!😎
Pushing the limits is hard on life.

The sea might as well be on a foreign planet we haven't explored 80% of the oceans floors.

How many test flights with dogs,monkeys,etc have gone bad. How many have gone bad where we didn't even know 50 + years ago. We are where we are because people pushed boundries.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1687457612128.jpg
FB_IMG_1687457503045.jpg
FB_IMG_1687457711798.jpg

500bbc

Reaction score
Thank God the builders held course and didn't hire any 50 year old white guys...
I wonder if they told the passengers that was their MO?

May they rest in peace.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Pushing the limits is hard on life.

The sea might as well be on a foreign planet we haven't explored 80% of the oceans floors.

How many test flights with dogs,monkeys,etc have gone bad. How many have gone bad where we didn't even know 50 + years ago. We are where we are because people pushed boundries.
30+ years ago, junior high, had a science teacher that said "we know more about the surface of the moon, than the bottom of our oceans. Considering more than half the planet is covered by water, it means we really don't know much"

He was a little crazy, but in some respects, pretty accurate. As a kid, I had no concept of the pressures at depths, nor containing atmosphere in a vacuum.

PlanB

Reaction score
Debris found near the bow of the Titanic (1600 feet away) is from the submersible per the CG right now.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
They said they are still operating ROV's in the area to collect more information.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I'm no scientist, engineer, sub captain, etc. but I would think the first thing you'd bring along for a 2.5 deep dive without some type of attachment to the surface... is an ROV capable of reaching 2.5 miles down.

This just seems like pretty basic planning 101.

Hey, if something happens, send the ROV down to the Titanic's location and look around for us. We either imploded or were stuck on some shit. But at least you'll have an idea of where we are pretty quickly. The you have 3 days of oxygen to attempt a rescue.

Instead they went down saying "Eh, if we get stuck and the emergency ascent system doesn't work... we're screwed. We'll have to spend 2.5 of the 3 days worth of oxygen waiting for an ROV to show up and find the issue hours after the oxygen runs out."

They basically never had a chance unless it surfaced. Now the taxpayers get to foot an insane bill to discover an imploded sub.

I'm guessing the deep water ROV was outside the OceanGate budget...

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
At least they might have seen what they paid to see.
trip was a success to some.

They way i read into it is they lost all communication with the sub around half to 2/3rd the way down to the wreck site. So it's possible that it imploded then and way before they could get a visual on Titanic. I doubt they saw Titanic at all. I'm sure we'll find out more in the future.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
They way i read into it is they lost all communication with the sub around half to 2/3rd the way down to the wreck site. So it's possible that it imploded then and way before they could get a visual on Titanic. I doubt they saw Titanic at all. I'm sure we'll find out more in the future.
Id say that when comms were lost the sub had imploded. Gotta hope that was it because it would have been instant vs the alternative..

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Listening to the press conference and some dipshit actually shouts out and asks if they're searching for the bodies.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Likely the US govt will fund the recovery efforts. OceanGate Expeditions was/is a US Company based in Everett WA. Founder and CEO, Stockton Rush was a passenger on the mini sub. The initial surface support vessel for the Titan was the Polar Prince, a Canadian flag vessel. It was built in 1959. That’s old for a ship. The vessel which brought the recovery ROV to the site, Horizon Arctic, was also Canadian. It is a much newer vessel. BTW, that 307 x 78 foot vessel was hauling ass taking the ROV out there. Was that ROV flown in to St John’s. Probably? It’s 435 nm from St John’s to the site. The Horizon Arctic covered that in short order. Thanks to all involved in the effort. Implosion was suspected by most from the beginning. But, you have to try and continue to hope.

Attempting to carry paying tourists, in that environment, is not prudent. Fortunately, there’s been no associated injuries or deaths related to these rescue efforts.

hallett21

Reaction score

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I'm no scientist, engineer, sub captain, etc. but I would think the first thing you'd bring along for a 2.5 deep dive without some type of attachment to the surface... is an ROV capable of reaching 2.5 miles down.

This just seems like pretty basic planning 101.

Hey, if something happens, send the ROV down to the Titanic's location and look around for us. We either imploded or were stuck on some shit. But at least you'll have an idea of where we are pretty quickly. The you have 3 days of oxygen to attempt a rescue.

Instead they went down saying "Eh, if we get stuck and the emergency ascent system doesn't work... we're screwed. We'll have to spend 2.5 of the 3 days worth of oxygen waiting for an ROV to show up and find the issue hours after the oxygen runs out."

They basically never had a chance unless it surfaced. Now the taxpayers get to foot an insane bill to discover an imploded sub.

I'm guessing the deep water ROV was outside the OceanGate budget...

All the "Shit" the Taxpayers do pay for, at least this group is a majority of Americans and Not some Foreign Country where the Leader and his buddies, steal a majority of the $'s before it is used for the intended purpose.:rolleyes:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
For the Titanic researcher, and maybe even the Ocean's Gate guy, it may not be the worst way to go out. The well off tourist types may not have had the same connection as someone who's life was really intertwined with the subject of the expedition.

Regardless, I think I admire going out doing something cool, than have some illness or old age take me. I find it odd that some find humor in it. If a motorsports competitor dies, everyone here feels bad for them. What's the difference, aside from one's knowledge or interest? The only way to stay "safe", is to stay locked away from the outside world. That's really no life to live.

alohajeff

Reaction score
RIP

Here's the lawsuit between David Lochridge and Ocean Gate. Ocean Gate hired "the best" and then fired "the best" when that person told them their submarine presents "a safety risk to personnel"

Skip the legalese and jump down to Page 10.

Aloha

Deckin Around

Reaction score
That company’s assets better be liquidated to pay toward the Navy, Coast Guard and private party responses. I don’t want to pay for that shit. My tax dollars are appropriated for offensive weapons systems only.

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
RIP... Not sure about the CEO but those others probably had no clue the risk they were taking... No excuse, they should know better but a terrible way to go none the less....

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm sure the ones on board knew the risk... You singed what could happen to you. They took that risk and unfortunately it ended in tragedy.

I hope this sparks new design ideas on deep dive personal subs. I've always been fascinated on what's at the bottom of the ocean.

When do you think Musk will make one...

rrrr

Reaction score

hallett21

Reaction score
I'm sure the ones on board knew the risk... You singed what could happen to you. They took that risk and unfortunately it ended in tragedy.

I hope this sparks new design ideas on deep dive personal subs. I've always been fascinated on what's at the bottom of the ocean.

From the little research I’ve done it’s not very hard. It just takes a lot of money. 30 million gets you a 2 man vessel that can go 30k+ ft deep.

Musk could have a 6 man sub built within a year I bet for 60-70 million. Add another 30-40 million for a legitimate research vessel and charge 500k a seat. It would be profitable within a year I bet.

hallett21

Reaction score
The gaming controller didn't cause the sub to implode, and it's really not an indication of poor engineering.

Functionally identical WiFi and Bluetooth controllers are used to dock multimillion dollar yachts, operate cranes, and perform dozens of other uses.

YachtController-DualBandPlus-Features3.jpg

For myself I know how frustrating it can be to pair a cell phone to AirPods, Bluetooth speakers or my truck.

I wouldn’t bet my life on a $35 controller. Even if you had 8 of them on board. What about the receiver on the other end?

KISS comes to mind when you are playing with such dangerous territory.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

Why don’t they replicate the Trieste? Seems like that was a successful deep diving submersible.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Seems like a very expensive beta field trial.

Whelp, I guess we are going back to the feasibility stage gate, at least we don't have any negative voice of customer feedback.