WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
From the little research I’ve done it’s not very hard. It just takes a lot of money. 30 million gets you a 2 man vessel that can go 30k+ ft deep.

Musk could have a 6 man sub built within a year I bet for 60-70 million. Add another 30-40 million for a legitimate research vessel and charge 500k a seat. It would be profitable within a year I bet.
What will happen now, is much more oversight in development that drives up cost for certification. It's not all that bad IMO, but it will limit the people who can afford that research to the super wealthy.

This sub worked, it had visited the Titanic many times and also a few times at that depth not finding the ship. What I think they missed is the repeatability of the structure at that depth, time and time again. Not sure if they will ever find out how it failed.

Bajastu

Reaction score
With an experimental sub that takes tourists on board, you would think that a government agency would get involved with required licensing, testing, and certification safety standards.

Blue Oval

Reaction score
I had a customer tell me today that this is all a smoke screen. The rich people have been kidnapped and they don't want to leak it to the press. They are trying to find them. OK, this is not me talking. I just said really, I find that hard to believe.

hallett21

Reaction score
What will happen now, is much more oversight in development that drives up cost for certification. It's not all that bad IMO, but it will limit the people who can afford that research to the super wealthy.

This sub worked, it had visited the Titanic many times and also a few times at that depth not finding the ship. What I think they missed is the repeatability of the structure at that depth, time and time again. Not sure if they will ever find out how it failed.
When I learned that James Cameron’s sub shrunk 3” at 35k ft it puts things in perspective. I wouldn’t want to be the second guy to go in that sub lol.

I get the vibe that the CEO was a little bit of a cowboy. I know that financially successful people want to bend the rules of safety.

I’m all for taking the rules right to the limit. But once you exceed them you should expect the worst.

Elon is a perfect example of bending the rules. I’d say he takes everything to the limit but he doesn’t just blatantly ignore his engineers and scientists.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1687469008319.jpg
FB_IMG_1687469071289.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
I had a customer tell me today that this is all a smoke screen. The rich people have been kidnapped and they don't want to leak it to the press. They are trying to find them. OK, this is not me talking. I just said really, I find that hard to believe.
Can we talk about the titanic being an inside insurance scam now? 😁

hallett21

Reaction score
So a legitimate question is what happened to those souls who went down in 1912. Obviously sea life has gotten to them. But their bodies must have been crushed once they hit the bottom?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
With an experimental sub that takes tourists on board, you would think that a government agency would get involved with required licensing, testing, and certification safety standards.
Why? as long as no one is misrepresenting things (which would be a legal issue anyway) why do we need gov oversight of this? Seems to me everyone knew what they signed up for...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For the Titanic researcher, and maybe even the Ocean's Gate guy, it may not be the worst way to go out. The well off tourist types may not have had the same connection as someone who's life was really intertwined with the subject of the expedition.

Regardless, I think I admire going out doing something cool, than have some illness or old age take me. I find it odd that some find humor in it. If a motorsports competitor dies, everyone here feels bad for them. What's the difference, aside from one's knowledge or interest? The only way to stay "safe", is to stay locked away from the outside world. That's really no life to live.

Well said

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So a legitimate question is what happened to those souls who went down in 1912. Obviously sea life has gotten to them. But their bodies must have been crushed once they hit the bottom?
No, you can't compress a liquid remember, once the air is out of your lungs and digestive tract there really is no other part of your body that is going to massively deform other than maybe your eyeballs.

hallett21

Reaction score
Why? as long as no one is misrepresenting things (which would be a legal issue anyway) why do we need gov oversight of this? Seems to me everyone knew what they signed up for...
I think there’s an attraction of the ultra wealthy to people who are “Captain Roning” it.

They spend their work days listening to people come up with 10,000 reasons why they shouldn’t do something. Then finally someone says “fuck all that, they’re a bunch of whiners and hypochondriacs”.

So they hear what they want and move forward. Problem is that works for certain stuff but not for diving over 2 miles below the ocean.

Look at Jordan Belford on Wolf of Wall Street. They really did sink that yacht. All based upon a rich guy telling the “expert” it’ll be fine.

Belford could have grabbed a PJ to make his destination but “knew better” lol.

hallett21

Reaction score
No, you can't compress a liquid remember, once the air is out of your lungs and digestive tract there really is no other part of your body that is going to massively deform other than maybe your eyeballs.
So these guys were made into pancakes because of the hull crushing on them?

Bajastu

Reaction score
Because they are representing themselves as experts and professionals to the public and uninformed. Once you involve the public, the rules change. Just like the aircraft industry and the FAA. There needs to be a safety measure for all forms of transportation when the company is selling a form of transportation to the public. Your kid can't even ride on a school bus without the proper safety measures put in place and the proper licensing.

Even in racing, NASCAR, F1, offroad racing, etc all have safety regulations and strict inspections and governance before they can compete.

This company did not participate in safety inspections. Material fatigue was the Achilles’ heel on this disaster.

Safety is the backbone of any well ran businesses that involves the lives of the public.

Bajastu

Reaction score
So these guys were made into pancakes because of the hull crushing on them?
Edit, I didnt realize you were talking about the people on the Titanc,

With over 5,000 psi, their bodies would have been obliterated. The pressure difference between the inside of the vessel vs the outside and the time it takes to implode, they became instant fish food for even the smallest fish.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Because they are representing themselves as experts and professionals to the public and uninformed. Once you involve the public, the rules change. Just like the aircraft industry and the FAA. There needs to be a safety measure for all forms of transportation when the company is selling a form of transportation to the public. Your kid can't even ride on a school bus without the proper safety measures put in place and the proper licensing.

Even in racing, NASCAR, F1, offroad racing, etc all have safety regulations and strict inspections and governance before they can compete.

This company did not participate in safety inspections. Material fatigue was the Achilles’ heel on this disaster.

Safety is the backbone of any well ran businesses that involves the lives of the public.

You don’t know that material fatigue caused this..

rrrr

Reaction score
This sub worked, it had visited the Titanic many times and also a few times at that depth not finding the ship.
Three times, in 2021, 2022, and now. One of those didn't find the ship.

Bajastu

Reaction score
You don’t know that material fatigue caused this..
It would be the main reason. In 2020 the vessel was reported to have cyclic fatigue that needed repairs.

Last edited:

beerrun

Reaction score
If that’s true, then it was instant, on the way down. I’d rather die like that than sit there thirsty, starving and knowing I was gonna die when the air ran out.
If its true then why were they dragging this out keeping everyone on the edge of their seat. Oh that's right because hunter pled guilty to some BS and got his hand slapped

rrrr

Reaction score
It would be the main reason.
I suspect there is very little if any public research on the behavior of sealed cylindrical carbon fiber structures repeatedly stressed to over 5,000 PSI.

While OceanGate may have done engineering analysis that informed construction of the sub with what they thought was an adequate safety factor, the reality is that without running extremely sophisticated computer programs and performing actual prototype testing, there was no way to accurately predict the effects of cyclic fatique at those pressures.

Did OceanGate spend the money to do it? Nothing I've seen indicates that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I suspect there is very little if any public research on the behavior of sealed cylindrical carbon fiber structures repeatedly stressed to over 5,000 PSI.

While OceanGate may have done engineering analysis that informed construction of the sub with what they thought was an adequate safety factor, the reality is that without running extremely sophisticated computer programs and performing actual prototype testing, there was no way to accurately predict the effects of cyclic fatique at those pressures.

Did OceanGate spend the money to do it? Nothing I've seen indicates that.

FEA isn’t that expensive.. but I suspect you are right.

Mototrig

Reaction score
I’d rather die like that than sit there thirsty, starving and knowing I was gonna die when the air ran out.
I agree. My guess is the loss of comms was the result of the thing imploding. I have nothing to back this up, just my opinion. I'd rather think they died instantly early on rather than a slow drawn out death

BabyRay

Reaction score
For myself I know how frustrating it can be to pair a cell phone to AirPods, Bluetooth speakers or my truck.

I wouldn’t bet my life on a $35 controller. Even if you had 8 of them on board. What about the receiver on the other end?

KISS comes to mind when you are playing with such dangerous territory.
I agree. I don’t understand why anyone would trust their life to a bluetooth connection. That’s just nuts!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Why don’t they replicate the Trieste? Seems like that was a successful deep diving submersible.
I'm sure they can take the pros and leave the cons behind.... Being encapsulated by fuel for buoyance is not something i think they would want to duplicate, lol. But there are some design ideas that they can reuse and not totally re-event the wheel.

cofooter

Reaction score
If its true then why were they dragging this out keeping everyone on the edge of their seat. Oh that's right because hunter pled guilty to some BS and got his hand slapped
The general public didn't need to know, what were the going to say, we heard a bang, and leave everyone to speculate and jump to conclusions? I'm sure the search team knew and used that in their search strategy.......

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Listening to the press conference and some dipshit actually shouts out and asks if they're searching for the bodies.

What else could cause an implosion of the hull?
Right?
I was reading where he refused to refund people in other failed expeditions.
The look through sphere was not rated beyond 4500'.

At 12,000 down feet the pressure is 365 times greater than on the surface. All the banging herd is interesting but coming from a carbon fiber submarine, not likely.
Perhaps why the CG could not confirm it was the sub. At that pressure the human body would be compressed into a bowling ball sized sphere.

rrrr

Reaction score
As expected. It was near US Territorial waters. Who knows our listening capabilities for enemy subs, top secret no doubt.

In this case, seems they suspected the event, but I guess you can’t be sure.
More geekery from me. I don't know why I know this stuff when I can't remember why I entered into a room. Maybe it's because I grew up during the Cold War.

The US Navy began deployment of a wide area underwater listening system to detect Soviet submarines in the 1950s. By 1960 it covered most of the North Atlantic, and by 1970 extended around the world.

It's almost certain the system's present capabilities would have easily detected the implosion.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Experts have said that the bones will decompose away due to ocean water, that is why you only see shoes scattered around the Titanic. Those shoes were attached to people, but over time the bones dissolved and the shoes will forever stay.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many seals were used in this sub that sealed the main cabin from the outside? Meaning, was this sub completely solid with only the view port having a seal? Or were there several seals around the sub? There must be lots of wireless technology going on.

Last edited:

Bajastu

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many seals were used in this sub that sealed the main cabin from the outside? Meaning, was this sub completely water solid with only the view port having a seal? Or were there several seals around the sub? There must be lots of wireless technology going on.
I'd imagine the only seals were on the porthole and the rear hatch.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Experts have said that the bones will decompose away due to ocean water, that is why you only see shoes scattered around the Titanic. Those shoes were attached to people, but over time the bones dissolved and the shoes will forever stay.

Forever🤔

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
More geekery from me. I don't know why I know this stuff when I can't remember why I entered into a room.

The US Navy began deployment of a wide area underwater listening system to detect Soviet submarines in the 1950s. By 1960 it covered most of the North Atlantic, and by 1970 extended around the world.

It's almost certain the system's present capabilities would have easily detected the implosion.

Watched a documentary recently about a Soviet nuclear sub that had a catastrophic failure and sank pretty deep in the North Pacific in the early 60's.

The US had these microphones placed around the Pacific and were able to triangulate exactly where the sub blew up underwater by the noise it made, and located it on the ocean floor before the Russians could figure out what happened.

The CIA repurposed a drilling ship and built a keel that opened from the bottom, built a claw contraption that would lower from the bottom of the ship, land on top of the section of submarine that they wanted to raise, then used hydraulic arms to grab the section like one of those coin op claw machines that grab stuffed animals in the glass box at arcades.

The idea was that they would set the ship over the wreck, lower the claw and grab the sub to bring back to the surface. They would then bring it up inside the ship and do what they wanted with it, without any one from the outside knowing what was going on.

They were actually able to grab a 50 some foot long section of submarine that contained nuclear ordinance and started raising it. They got it about half way up when the thing shifted, the majority of the section broke apart and fell through the claw contraption. They were still able to bring a section up through the bottom of the ship to inspect it.

The Russians were also looking for the sub, but could never locate it. They saw the drilling ship and hung around it for a few days harassing it, then eventually left and the CIA got to work.

Pretty interesting story from a bunch of old civilian engineers who built the ship. They show photos of the claw contraption being built in San Diego, then building a floating hangar over it and towing it out to Catalina where they loaded it up on the drilling rig ship and headed out to the wreck.

cofooter

Reaction score
Watched a documentary recently about a Soviet nuclear sub that had a catastrophic failure and sank pretty deep in the North Pacific in the early 60's.

The US had these microphones placed around the Pacific and were able to triangulate exactly where the sub blew up underwater by the noise it made, and located it on the ocean floor before the Russians could figure out what happened.

The CIA repurposed a drilling ship and built a keel that opened from the bottom, built a claw contraption that would lower from the bottom of the ship, land on top of the section of submarine that they wanted to raise, then used hydraulic arms to grab the section like one of those coin op claw machines that grab stuffed animals in the glass box at arcades.

The idea was that they would set the ship over the wreck, lower the claw and grab the sub to bring back to the surface. They would then bring it up inside the ship and do what they wanted with it, without any one from the outside knowing what was going on.

They were actually able to grab a 50 some foot long section of submarine that contained nuclear ordinance and started raising it. They got it about half way up when the thing shifted, the majority of the section broke apart and fell through the claw contraption. They were still able to bring a section up through the bottom of the ship to inspect it.

The Russians were also looking for the sub, but could never locate it. They saw the drilling ship and hung around it for a few days harassing it, then eventually left and the CIA got to work.

Pretty interesting story from a bunch of old civilian engineers who built the ship. They show photos of the claw contraption being built in San Diego, then building a floating hangar over it and towing it out to Catalina where they loaded it up on the drilling rig ship and headed out to the wreck.
That's cool do you remember what it was called?