WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

4Waters

Reaction score
The amount of money spent by the CIA on that escapade to extract a very small portion of that sub 20 years later was about the biggest boondoggle of federal spending ever. At least Hughes made some bank on the whole ordeal though...
I believe it was about six years later

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
This whole deal with the Navy and the implosion info being withheld sucks. They never suffered as they were gone in a 1/4 second but allowing the drama and false hope to continue just speaks Government. Perhaps closure once the debris was found was the hopeful end game here?

My buddy's son flying in a C-130 for days on end Grid searching in a converted flying gas can to families hanging on some positive update for days, for me also difficult to understand.

May they all RIP

sprintcvx

Reaction score
FzRyaAHXsAMMA7t.jpg

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Govt also tried to cover it's ass by planting articles in Popular Science and other technical publications at that time in advance of the mission referencing the new mining breakthrough.
Remember reading about it in Jr. High.

"The decoy story was the ship was built to mine seafloor manganese nodules IIRC. That didn't fool the Soviets, they had a ship within spying distance"

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The amount of money spent by the CIA on that escapade to extract a very small portion of that sub 20 years later was about the biggest boondoggle of federal spending ever. At least Hughes made some bank on the whole ordeal though...

At the time the story put out it was, oh schucks - we had it, but we dropped all but a little of it, so we’re leaving now. Ya, right.

bentprops

Reaction score
I feel a new saying coming on. In stead of "what ever floats your boat", what ever sinks your sub? I feel the sub you be imploding in. Dont count your air supply until the implosion is over.
RIP

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
There seems to be significant interest here about ocean exploration. Much of it is conducted quietly for various reasons; wealth, national Security, science, historical verification etc etc. Some has been done on a shoe string budget. Check out the Mel Fisher musuem in Key West. He did very well, but it was always a struggle. I know people who still live in KW who worked for Fisher. They made out well. So did some of their parents, who were original investors and stood behind Fisher. Most other exploration contractors conduct vastly expensive operations. Some may receive govt funding, due to the nature of their work. Others, super rich billionaires, do it on their own. Check out the late Paul Allen and his R.V. Petrel. They discovered over 20 military wrecks of various significance. Odyssey Marine Exploration was once a popular place TV series of documentaries. Believe they’re no longer on TV. But, they continue to exist, often conducting operations on behalf of various countries.

There’s been mention of condition of artifacts, even bones on the bottom of the ocean. If interested, check out the Black Sea. Ancient artifacts have been found on that bottom in amazing condition. Human remains (?).

Last edited:

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
With an experimental sub that takes tourists on board, you would think that a government agency would get involved with required licensing, testing, and certification safety standards.
careful what you ask for... you just might get it. at some point personal responsibility has to come into play. the Gubment cant save us all. they will try if you let them.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The titanic victims didn't experience explosive decompression, but I can imagine what trapped gas in the bodies did as they sank... 🤢

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For the person driving lickity split... Absolutely! I do feel sorry for the passengers, they didn't sign a waiver indicating the driver was going to try and race...

You do know that lickity split was barely doing a 100 when it crashed…. I’m not even sure why it’s brought up in this thread.

RD

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
The titanic victims didn't experience explosive decompression, but I can imagine what trapped gas in the bodies did as they sank... 🤢
Isn't it more like explosive compression? Those bodies aren't trapping anything.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Isn't it more like explosive compression? Those bodies aren't trapping anything.
I think of it as a diesel engine. Humans and remaining oxygen become fuel essentially. I read that this morning on a science website along with... at 12k feet down its the weight of the empire state building built out of solid steel pushing on that largely composite vessel.

Hull implodes compressing everything inside. The compression ( like a diesel) causes a violent explosion.
This all happens in a 1/4 of a second which is faster that you can feel a burn on your fingertip from a hot pan for instance.
The crew never suffered as they were basically vaporized. There are no human remains to collect.

This is the better of the horror choices the founding idiot could have put them all through. Remember the viewing port was only certified for 4500 ft.

The crew never knew their life was ending as there was no time to process anything.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Still looking

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1501724615830.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501724615830.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 91

rrrr

Reaction score
Govt also tried to cover it's ass by planting articles in Popular Science and other technical publications at that time in advance of the mission referencing the new mining breakthrough.
Remember reading about it in Jr. High.
I remember that. There were illustrations of an undersea craft lighting the ocean floor and dozens, if not hundreds, of large roundish dark rocks that purportedly contained millions of dollars of manganese.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess I got that exactly backwards, and I was thinking about people sinking in/around the Titanic.

Your ad here

Reaction score
You do know that lickity split was barely doing a 100 when it crashed…. I’m not even sure why it’s brought up in this thread.

RD
Post 202 is what I'm referring to. Read the first sentence. I don't see any difference between the Titan sub accident and the Lickity Split accident. Per that post though the Lickity Split accident should be viewed the same as the Titan accident, as well as any accident from a hobby or related that is expensive. Just some well off people with an ego that get what their poor judgment and decision making granted them. In this case both suffered loss of life, by an accident, of what I'm guessing are good harmless people. People should be judged by character, not wealth.

arch stanton

Reaction score
if this
if this pick is real and not photoshopped holly shit you dumb fxzs you need a few 50 year old white guys that have seen picks of the dumb ass upholstery guy screwing through the hull of a boat into the bunks on the trailer not the 25 year old college grad with no real life experience that ran the screw gun