WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Heard stories from some of the UTV racers that they wash the belts in hot soapy water, then break them in, then place them as a spare....

Not sure if it's just extra steps or if it actually helps, but i doubt it hurts anything.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
New belt every season, regardless of hours. oem

New washed and broken in brand new spare belt in a sealed food saver bag. oem

Two slightly used belts on board for friends, strangers who own a gayzer, and just in case. oem

Don't waste your money on non oem belts. fyi

Yea, sand.

That was the same for me.. Get it serviced every season, change the belt no matter what.. Take the previous belt keep it in the car and throw the year before on the other side.. Never kept a car that long, but if I did the year previous to that I'd throw away or keep in a tool box then throw away.. LOL

I've never had good luck with aftermarket belts.. OEM for me as well.

RD

EdoublE

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 2.09.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 2.09.42 PM.png

JM21

Reaction score
Logistics seem to be handled.
If you catch it at the end of the video he has obviously made a deal to get space from Jeff Pont at one of his warehouses in So cal. Prolly having Robby build him a 1 off car for trade on space plus $$$. Pure speculation but pont has a hell of a collection and I am sure it will include a sick speed car soon.

JM21

Reaction score
That was the same for me.. Get it serviced every season, change the belt no matter what.. Take the previous belt keep it in the car and throw the year before on the other side.. Never kept a car that long, but if I did the year previous to that I'd throw away or keep in a tool box then throw away.. LOL

I've never had good luck with aftermarket belts.. OEM for me as well.

RD
What do they get to service these at a dealer? I just bought a used 2020 XP4 turbo with 70 hours on it and did front diff, rear diff/trans, motor oil/filter, air filter, plugs, and a “clutch service” and it took me about 2 hours on my garage floor, taking my time. I’m repacking all the wheel bearings next (waiting on tool) but what else is there?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What do they get to service these at a dealer? I just bought a used 2020 XP4 turbo with 70 hours on it and did front diff, rear diff/trans, motor oil/filter, air filter, plugs, and a “clutch service” and it took me about 2 hours on my garage floor, taking my time. I’m repacking all the wheel bearings next (waiting on tool) but what else is there?

I’d have to go back and look.. but it’s kinda pricey….

RD

riverroyal

Reaction score
If you catch it at the end of the video he has obviously made a deal to get space from Jeff Pont at one of his warehouses in So cal. Prolly having Robby build him a 1 off car for trade on space plus $$$. Pure speculation but pont has a hell of a collection and I am sure it will include a sick speed car soon.
Why is the video flipped? Like looking at a mirror reflection. Backwards numbers

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Why is the video flipped? Like looking at a mirror reflection. Backwards numbers
If you watched the video, he was having trouble getting his camera from selfie mode back to camera, so he just turned it around.
Be careful throwing stones...
No worries here, this shits been pointed out about every single thing wrong with the Speed.

Santee_Native

Reaction score
Someone has to have the story here. This supposedly happed at the Havasu dealer event today.

PlanB

Reaction score
No worries here, this shits been pointed out about every single thing wrong with the Speed.
I have not talked shit about the Speed cars at all. Just saying, shit is going to break on every brand of car out there. From what I have read, the above car is one of the ones that has been a test rig. It already has some hard miles on it. I replaced all of the known weak points on my X3 before I ever drove it, including the lower from A-arms. I think these new cars will be much better out of the box than the X3 but there will still be weak points.

sandshark1

Reaction score

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I have not talked shit about the Speed cars at all. Just saying, shit is going to break on every brand of car out there. From what I have read, the above car is one of the ones that has been a test rig. It already has some hard miles on it. I replaced all of the known weak points on my X3 before I ever drove it, including the lower from A-arms. I think these new cars will be much better out of the box than the X3 but there will still be weak points.
Nothing was directed at anyone individual, but this forum has been a Speed/RG hating topic for quite some time, with every single failure/setback pointed out.

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out that, yes, shit breaks, every single thing.

sandshark1

Reaction score
Article says they hit the right front tire and it exploded. Replaced tire and continued on. Didn’t say anything about the arm breaking on the drivers side. 🤷🏻‍♂️
He said it had a tiny bend in it and they continued on after replacing the tire.

When the X3 was released I met Can am out in Glamis to test ride it for a few hours. The dealers had their day the day before. There were several smashed up X3s from them rolling them on Olds. 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_9250.png
    IMG_9250.png
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 100

Fishd00d

Reaction score
For your spare belts check out these cases, they are pretty badass cause there is a bunch of different ones you can get that fit tools or first aid or all kinds of stuff. They keep the belt out of the sun/mud and it fits around the outside ring of the inner case. I have this one sitting on my passenger floor with first aid and tools to change the belt.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
For your spare belts check out these cases, they are pretty badass cause there is a bunch of different ones you can get that fit tools or first aid or all kinds of stuff. They keep the belt out of the sun/mud and it fits around the outside ring of the inner case. I have this one sitting on my passenger floor with first aid and tools to change the belt.

Those are pretty nice, wish there was a way to mount it in the spare of the Speed, but it has the locking mechanism holding it down in the center of the wheel.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Those are pretty nice, wish there was a way to mount it in the spare of the Speed, but it has the locking mechanism holding it down in the center of the wheel.
Ya it wont work on that setup, but maybe you could fit it on the rear seat floor or somewhere else? Mine is on the rear floor under the cooler.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No bias there. Lol!

You guys are unbelievable..

See other thread for that “slightly bent” lower an arm.. that is actually pretty clearly sheered off and paper thin.

On quads...

They would use the tie rods as sheer points. One, so you wouldn't break your wrists if you hit something hard, and you only had to replace an inexpensive part.

Using a lower a-arm as a sheer point? Sound pricey, but if everything else that could possibly break is even More money, then it's not that bad of an idea.

The best idea is to try to not hit stuff!

But we all know that sometimes shit happens...

Especially when you invite a bunch of Writers out to test drive an off road car! 🤣😜

pixrthis

Reaction score
Speed threads have taught me that you can’t point out the strengths of something without talking shit about something else. Robby is really bad at that which has brought on the much of the negative speed comments. The general public would be bigger cheerleaders for the Speed car if he wasn’t bashing the cars they own.

stonehenge

Reaction score
"Married? yes married, sheesh"

Washed, yes washed, sheesh

For you hard pack monkeys, disregard any and all advice that the sand crowd uses, you guys seem to go for millions of miles and thousands of hours on the same belt. I'm happy for you, really I am.

But the sand is a whole different ball game, the speed owners will soon see how magical a beer/belt stop is when they eventually get their rides.

I digress, according to many belt manufactures, during the process of producing the belt they use chemicals to help remove the belt from the mold. Allegedly these chem's can easily be removed with hot soapy water and air dried. It is suppose to add to the longevity of the belt. Why the manf. doesn't give them a rinse, I suppose cost, and perhaps its total bs? But I do know literally hundreds of utv owners that swear by wash & break in your spare & break in your primary.

Now of course the true ballers and racers that have unlimited resources could give a rats ass about any of this hooe'y, when you have more money than god and boxes and boxes of belts that you can go through like no care in the world, why bother, right?

The reality is this, your on a dune ride (hence dune, i.e. soft sand, hard packers ignore) and someone, lets say you, blows a belt. Everyone stops, you proceed in removing the cover, you pray it didn't grenade and throw very flammable pieces of rubber and material into every f-n orifice of the cvt compartment. You spread your secondary, slap the new belt on, (hopefully without burning your little fingers because the clutches are smokin hot) leave it uncovered, you know to let any pieces you missed fall out. Jump back in the car... and mash it! The leader is really on the gas cause you wasted 5 minutes of his precious time changing a belt, so he is on the gas. The new belt goes from a nice comfy life that it spent inside an over priced belt specific bag, into the gates of hell and is being spun up like a crack head given a bag of rock for free. And BAM, within hours or perhaps days that new belt blows, and you scratch your head asking "why santie claus, why?"

Or.... have a washed and broken in belt in that over priced belt specific designer bag to replace the blown belt, and all your troubles are solved.

yea, yea..yea, hardpacker never had to deal with this issue, but I bet a racer or two have.

Last edited:

Groper

Reaction score

For you hard pack monkeys, disregard any and all advice that the sand crowd uses, you guys seem to go for millions of miles and thousands of hours on the same belt. I'm happy for you, really I am.

But the sand is a whole different ball game, the speed owners will soon see how magical a beer/belt stop is when they eventually get their rides.

I digress, according to many belt manufactures, during the process of producing the belt they use chemicals to help remove the belt from the mold. Allegedly these chem's can easily be removed with hot soapy water and air dried. It is suppose to add to the longevity of the belt. Why the manf. doesn't give them a rinse, I suppose cost, and perhaps its total bs? But I do know literally hundreds of utv owners that swear by wash & break in your spare & break in your primary.

Now of course the true ballers and racers that have unlimited resources could give a rats ass about any of this hooe'y, when you have more money than god and boxes and boxes of belts that you can go through like no care in the world, why bother, right?

The reality is this, your on a dune ride (hence dune, i.e. soft sand, hard packers ignore) and someone, lets say you, blows a belt. Everyone stops, you proceed in removing the cover, you pray it didn't grenade and throw very flammable pieces of rubber and material into every f-n orifice of the cvt compartment. You spread your secondary, slap the new belt on, (hopefully without burning your little fingers because the clutches are smokin hot) leave it uncovered, you know to let any pieces you missed fall out. Jump back in the car... and mash it! The leader is really on the gas cause you wasted 5 minutes of his precise time changing a belt, so he is on the gas. The new belt goes from a nice comfy life that it spent inside an over priced belt specific bag, into the gates of hell and is being spun up like a crack head given a bag of rock for free. And BAM, within hours or perhaps days that new belt blows, and you scratch your head asking "why santie claus, why?"

Or.... have a washed and broken in belt in that over priced belt specific designer bag to replace the blown belt, and all your troubles are solved.

yea, yea..yea, hardpacker never had to deal with this issue, but I bet a racer or two have.
Hahah...and it's precious time cuz we're in a hurry to get to the swing set, drink shaken to death CL's to watch idiots jump their cars :D

Last edited:

dirtslinger2

Reaction score

The reality is this, your on a dune ride (hence dune, i.e. soft sand, hard packers ignore) and someone, lets say you, blows a belt. Everyone stops, you proceed in removing the cover, you pray it didn't grenade and throw very flammable pieces of rubber and material into every f-n orifice of the cvt compartment. You spread your secondary, slap the new belt on, (hopefully without burning your little fingers because the clutches are smokin hot) leave it uncovered, you know to let any pieces you missed fall out. Jump back in the car... and mash it! The leader is really on the gas cause you wasted 5 minutes of his precise time changing a belt, so he is on the gas. The new belt goes from a nice comfy life that it spent inside an over priced belt specific bag, into the gates of hell and is being spun up like a crack head given a bag of rock for free. And BAM, within hours or perhaps days that new belt blows, and you scratch your head asking "why santie claus, why?"

Sounds like an easy to do thing for possibly a wives tale, possibly not. I've done other harder things that probably do nothing, so why not.

sandshark1

Reaction score

The reality is this, your on a dune ride (hence dune, i.e. soft sand, hard packers ignore) and someone, lets say you, blows a belt. Everyone stops, you proceed in removing the cover, you pray it didn't grenade and throw very flammable pieces of rubber and material into every f-n orifice of the cvt compartment. You spread your secondary, slap the new belt on, (hopefully without burning your little fingers because the clutches are smokin hot) leave it uncovered, you know to let any pieces you missed fall out. Jump back in the car... and mash it! The leader is really on the gas cause you wasted 5 minutes of his precious time changing a belt, so he is on the gas. The new belt goes from a nice comfy life that it spent inside an over priced belt specific bag, into the gates of hell and is being spun up like a crack head given a bag of rock for free. And BAM, within hours or perhaps days that new belt blows, and you scratch your head asking "why santie claus, why?"

As a duner I can tell you washed or unwashed it does not matter. The ability to control your right foot and having clutches that are aligned and functioning properly is the key to belt life in the dunes.

In our group there are guys that blow belts at will and others the belt last for seasons.

I have only blow one belt in the hardpack and that was doing over 90mph across a dry lake bed. That belt had over 1500 miles on it when it went.

stonehenge

Reaction score
Sounds like an easy to do thing for possibly a wives tale, possibly not. I've done other harder things that probably do nothing, so why not.
I wash my ass and it only takes a few seconds, so washing a belt is easy. But the break in with a couple of heat cycles makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

stonehenge

Reaction score
As a duner I can tell you washed or unwashed it does not matter. The ability to control your right foot and having clutches that are aligned and functioning properly is the key to belt life in the dunes.

In our group there are guys that blow belts at will and others the belt last for seasons.

I have only blow one belt in the hardpack and that was doing over 90mph across a dry lake bed. That belt had over 1500 miles on it when it went.
This is somewhat sound advice.

I agree the foot dictates the belt life, along with your life.

But I'm a firm believer in wash & break in's.

But in her gayzer she also runs a temp gauge and a 500cfm nascar proven brake & tire thermal management cooling blower into her cvt compartment. She really doesn't like changing belts in the dunes, especially at night. lol

600cfm.jpg

sandshark1

Reaction score
This is somewhat sound advice.

I agree the foot dictates the belt life, along with your life.

But I'm a firm believer in wash & break in's.

But in her gayzer she also runs a temp gauge and a 500cfm nascar proven brake & tire thermal management cooling blower into her cvt compartment. She really doesn't like changing belts in the dunes, especially at night. lol

View attachment 1274945

It does not take much time to wash them.

I have never run a belt temp gauge. I don't want to stare at it or change my driving. Been pretty good at not breaking lots of belts. Also try to change out the belt every 1,500 miles.

sandshark1

Reaction score
Sandcraft makes a nice belt back that holds all the tool needed.

PRP makes one as well

Both should fit under the seat or in one of the storage boxes Speed sells.

77charger

Reaction score
All that hassle to make a belt last in the dunes lol.

Yeh some don’t realize how hard the sand is on them. Add too much tire like I see on a lot too something has to slip to make them go and it ain’t tire spin.

I know some who ran hardpack never an issue.