WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

outboard_256

Reaction score
Off Camber Industires video of Nick's rock crawling trip. They do a quick test drive and say their initial impressions. Rest of it is Nick and the group crawling in the rocks.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Nick is down a front boot in baja it looks like.
IMG_5376.jpg

attitude

Reaction score
I like the Speed logo on the sway bar link, little touches like that go a long way.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Looked like they put an "overboot" over it and kept going.

You’re right and It’s a bitch to sort through his editing and catch this stuff.

People have to remember his business is views and likes. The subject matter means nothing. The viewer is the product and somehow the viewers can’t recognize this.

Like @rivermobster said… a spotter… really lmao

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I just think the Speed car did not look or perform as good as the other cars they had. Allot of clinks and squeaky stuff. 4 WD didn’t look like it worked, belt over heating etc. I think they were being very nice on their comments.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You’re right and It’s a bitch to sort through his editing and catch this stuff.

People have to remember his business is views and likes. The subject matter means nothing. The viewer is the product and somehow the viewers can’t recognize this.

Like @rivermobster said… a spotter… really lmao

It's kinna hard to see but...

Is there even a circlip on the end of the splines? Why did that inboard joint pop out of the diff?

No way that should Ever happen! 😱

Chew gots sum splain'n to do Lucy...

Last edited:

702sandman

Reaction score
Looked like they put an "overboot" over it and kept going.
The cv pulled out again 5 miles later so they pulled the front axle and used the outer stub to just continue in 2WD, Wes and Nick said the car had no other issues rest of trip.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It's kinna hard to see but...

Is there even a circlip on the end of the splines? Why did that inboard joint pop out of the diff?

No way that should Ever happen! 😱

Chew gots sum splain'n to to Lucy.

Most the sxs I have had you can pull the axle out of the trans if the hub is off etc. They just slide in.

702sandman

Reaction score
Most the sxs I have had you can pull the axle out of the trans if the hub is off etc. They just slide in.
They said there is a cir clip at the end of the splines but it is very small and seems to have wore down so it wouldn’t hold the axle in place no more That’s why it was pulling out of the diff.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
They said there is a cir clip at the end of the splines but it is very small and seems to have wore down so it wouldn’t hold the axle in place no more That’s why it was pulling out of the diff.
Should be a simple fix

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Nope...

What you're looking at is a standard constant velocity axle design. Same Design they use in almost every front wheel drive car on the road.

If the axle isn't held in place Properly (by a retaining clip on the end of the splines at the differential end) you would see this exact scenario happening on every car out there, it would just fall apart! The axle ends (cages) Have to be held in place, so the center shaft can "float" as the suspension moves up and down, or the front wheels steer left and right. It's a design that's been around for decades.

If that clip broke for whatever reason, now it's floating around inside the diff/trans and the whole thing needs to come apart to remove the broken pieces.

This is a decent illustration of what I'm referring to...

Screenshot_20230807_062258_Google.jpg

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I’d be curious to see that. All the axles I’ve ever replaced in sxs they just slide in and out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nope...

What you're looking at is a standard constant velocity axle design. Same Design they use in almost every front wheel drive car on the road.

If the axle isn't held in place Properly (by a retaining clip on the end of the splines at the differential end) you would see this exact scenario happening on every car out there, it would just fall apart! The axle ends (cages) Have to be held in place, so the center shaft can "float" as the suspension moves up and down, or the front wheels steer left and right. It's a design that's been around for decades.

If that clip broke for whatever reason, now it's floating around inside the diff/trans and the whole thing needs to come apart to remove the broken pieces.

This is a decent illustration of what I'm referring to...

View attachment 1261737

So how would ya get to that clip to get the axles out?

counterpart7

Reaction score
I’d be curious to see that. All the axles I’ve ever replaced in sxs they just slide in and out.
This can’t possible be true Dave. Every sxs back to the rhinos has had a groove and cir clip at the end of the inner splines to retain the axle inside the diff. Rhinos, all RZRs, and X3s have been this way. They don’t just slide in or out, they require a good push or pull to release the clip.

If that cir clip is really wearing down after 500-1000 miles, they’ve got some serious metallurgy issues going on in China. Easy fix, but what will the failure rate be of the completed cars?

Albacore

Reaction score
I don’t wanna say I’m 100% sure but I know that the speed axles are different in the way they are installed and designed and patented as compared to your normal CV’s that are average out there. I believe they are using the same design that they had developed for the wildcat xx which is where these pictures are from.
IMG_2149.jpeg
IMG_2148.jpeg
They have an adjustment screw that pushes on an inner pin that then pushes out the ring that retains it in place there used to be a video. I can’t find it but you can kind of see it in these pictures.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

Just like every other CV axle in cars, trucks, etc. Sometimes they are a bitch to get out (big pry bar, hammer, etc), sometimes they can pop out with just normal pressure by hand.

sandshark1

Reaction score

All axles on a SXS have the circa clip or they will fall out. Polaris had this issue with the 2017 Turbo and also the Turbo S front axles pulling out due to issues with the circa clip.

sandshark1

Reaction score

You yank on the axle really hard and they pop right out if the axles splines are greased. If the splines are not greased they usually get stuck and when you yank on the axle the CV pops off and then the fun begins.

Albacore

Reaction score
I found this video it’s not the one that RG had done for some reason those videos are private now maybe it had something to do with the lawsuit with arctic cat nevertheless, here is another video at five minutes and 30 seconds. You can see the explanation

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don’t wanna say I’m 100% sure but I know that the speed axles are different in the way they are installed and designed and patented as compared to your normal CV’s that are average out there. I believe they are using the same design that they had developed for the wildcat xx which is where these pictures are from. View attachment 1261795 View attachment 1261796 They have an adjustment screw that pushes on an inner pin that then pushes out the ring that retains it in place there used to be a video. I can’t find it but you can kind of see it in these pictures.

Interesting design. 👍🏼

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
If speed is the wildcat design, still has a cir clip and a locking mechanism too.

Either way all axles have this.

Sandcar axles are different in that they bolt to the cup on the transmission. Speed doesn’t appear to have that design

Albacore

Reaction score
Interesting design. 👍🏼
These are what Max has been racing with in the arctic cat for sometime and they are very easy to change in the field, although if that ring/circlip does wear down, it’s not gonna hold and you got to have another one to install.

So far I’m hoping that whenever I get my Diablo, I’m gonna buy a few extra those and a water temperature sensor as these seem to be the two little nuisance issues I have seen a few times.

I hope I’m not leading you all down the wrong path but I am pretty sure this is more in line with the reality than the videos and pictures that were posted above for the other brands and your typical 930 CVs, which are the most widely used.

counterpart7

Reaction score
I don’t wanna say I’m 100% sure but I know that the speed axles are different in the way they are installed and designed and patented as compared to your normal CV’s that are average out there. I believe they are using the same design that they had developed for the wildcat xx which is where these pictures are from. View attachment 1261795 View attachment 1261796 They have an adjustment screw that pushes on an inner pin that then pushes out the ring that retains it in place there used to be a video. I can’t find it but you can kind of see it in these pictures.
I believe this design is only on the rear axles. That’s how my XX is.

EPL

Reaction score

They all have a C clip on them that is what holds them in . That is why when you remove them you have to give them a quick hard snap to get the clip to compress to come out. They don't just pull out because there is play in the shaft to not pull on them,

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
These are what Max has been racing with in the arctic cat for sometime and they are very easy to change in the field, although if that ring/circlip does wear down, it’s not gonna hold and you got to have another one to install.

So far I’m hoping that whenever I get my Diablo, I’m gonna buy a few extra those and a water temperature sensor as these seem to be the two little nuisance issues I have seen a few times.

I hope I’m not leading you all down the wrong path but I am pretty sure this is more in line with the reality than the videos and pictures that were posted above for the other brands and your typical 930 CVs, which are the most widely used.

This is not a unique speed problem. All cir clips and grooves wear out eventually. It maybe a speed problem if in fact they are wearing at 500-1000 miles. If it broke, that happens too and is likely a 1 off problem.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

It's an interesting design concept for sure...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
FF to 4:20. And no I'm not joking on the time! 😁

Well that's exactly the way I removed them.. LOL. Give it a yank and it slides out. I was thinking more like a c clip or something when you were typing earlier, and I was asking myself "how would ya get to it to remove the clip?"

RD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well that's exactly the way I removed them.. LOL. Give it a yank and it slides out. I was thinking more like a c clip or something when you were typing earlier, and I was asking myself "how would ya get to it to remove the clip?"

RD

Oh I gotcha!

Yeah, it's just a circlip, not a snap ring that you need pliers for. 😊

Screenshot_20230807_092529_Chrome.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
All axles on a SXS have the circa clip or they will fall out. Polaris had this issue with the 2017 Turbo and also the Turbo S front axles pulling out due to issues with the circa clip.
These sort of mechanical issues are the exact reason many of us, like myself, are waiting for a couple years for the real world, normal use issues to come up and be addressed. Saving a few thousand dollars to be the test mules isn't worth mine or my families recreational time. I want to jump in, throw in a cooler, some tools and go rip.

Looking at the timeline pragmatically, Once they have these things pretty much perfected, there will be another shiny object to distract all of us. Perhaps the Can Am, perhaps the RZR. Or could there be some surprises from the second tier manufactures? Why not KTM/Husky?

Regardless, very interesting times in the SxS game.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
That's really cool. Looks like they are going to try and do Sand Sports show deliveries again this year. Really hope the cars get here in time. Would really be cool to see people getting their cars at the show.
I don't think they can actually deliver at the SSSS, they could probably do some sort of mock delivery.

I'm an AZ customer, so I can't take delivery in Cali anyway.