ChrisV

Reaction score
Off to coat in the morning.
55E6CD95-91D4-40B8-B219-621DACA5E208.jpeg
EC56A0CA-F7BA-4D14-969C-E8B73746CAF5.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So I have a question.

Why did you build the trailer with leaf springs and not torsion bars? Aren’t torsion better? I would assume they are, but this is why I’m asking.

ChrisV

Reaction score
So I have a question.

Why did you build the trailer with leaf springs and not torsion bars? Aren’t torsion better? I would assume they are, but this is why I’m asking.
$800 x 3 for torsion.
$200 for 3 axles built by me.

I gotta be cheap for certain things. Once boat is in Havasu, it literally goes 1 mile to the ramp.

Plus having multiple hobbies really fucks yah.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
$800 x 3 for torsion.
$200 for 3 axles built by me.

I gotta be cheap for certain things. Once boat is in Havasu, it literally goes 1 mile to the ramp.

Plus having multiple hobbies really fucks yah.
Gotcha. I too see no reason for the added cost if the trailer isn’t going anywhere.

What I don’t understand is how you have all the time to do this stuff. Damn.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Gotcha. I too see no reason for the added cost if the trailer isn’t going anywhere.

What I don’t understand is how you have all the time to do this stuff. Damn.
I don’t drink or watch tv. Literally just work, hang out with the fam and projects. Plus I only sleep 5hrs a night. So that helps.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the outcome of this trailer!! I love watching your builds and seeing your talent! 💪

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Make spare lines. Those fkn things ALWAYS leak! I switch to that style hose as well, but still had one start seeping!

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I always have spares, usually replace 1-2 p/year.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I always have spares, usually replace 1-2 p/year.
I’ll keep the old ones. I gotta do the steering lines next. Those seem old and brittle. After what happened to the red Daytona 22. Shit got me spoooked

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I need to get the polishing wheel for my bench grinder. I’ll probably do it when I get the power steering lines also.
Can buy a buffer fairly cheap 100-120, bench grinder is a higher rpm. I got a 3/4 arbor if i ever get a new one, I’d just like to get longer shafts.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Never calibrated the trim card. Was way off. When I went 109 it was at zero. So probably could be a little better.
C6BD6E5B-B6C7-4D99-93E2-32A20E7C221F.jpeg
C64296FC-1180-47B3-963B-892806C9ABEC.jpeg
E26AD6B5-42F6-4BF8-9C32-39DA4D294281.jpeg

ChrisV

Reaction score

Backlash

Reaction score
Yeah im not trying to tweek out on the polisher. Shit makes a mess and fades quick. That shit looks good though.
Thank you I appreciate the compliment! Means a lot coming from you!

Backlash

Reaction score
You killed those, what’d you do for a sealer? I’ve tried different processes etc also what wheel type did you use?
The clear coat on these rims had started to peel and there was some corrosion between the aluminum and the clear coat. Some places had minor pitting so I had to get as much of that out as I could. I sanded these suckers down starting with some 80 grit, then 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000. Once I was satisfied with the finish thus far, I switched over to the Zephyr line of wheels and bars. I use an adjustable speed Milwaukee buffer and vary the speed based on the compound and wheel I'm using. I finish it off with the Zephyr Pro40 sealer which looks good to me. I haven't installed tires on these yet, but I've used this same process for other wheels and it's worked out well. I hope that answered your question. Sorry for the thread derail Chris!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The clear coat on these rims had started to peel and there was some corrosion between the aluminum and the clear coat. Some places had minor pitting so I had to get as much of that out as I could. I sanded these suckers down starting with some 80 grit, then 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000. Once I was satisfied with the finish thus far, I switched over to the Zephyr line of wheels and bars. I use an adjustable speed Milwaukee buffer and vary the speed based on the compound and wheel I'm using. I finish it off with the Zephyr Pro40 sealer which looks good to me. I haven't installed tires on these yet, but I've used this same process for other wheels and it's worked out well. I hope that answered your question. Sorry for the thread derail Chris!
That’s hard core!!
And it’s not a derail, it just tells him what he’s getting into. I’ve never ran on a hand buffer, but i as well use most all Zephyr products. Living my vented wheels, and planning to go after my stainless fenders this winter.

Backlash

Reaction score
That’s hard core!!
And it’s not a derail, it just tells him what he’s getting into. I’ve never ran on a hand buffer, but i as well use most all Zephyr products. Living my vented wheels, and planning to go after my stainless fenders this winter.
Are you running the Zephyr wheels on a bench grinder/polisher? If so, how does that hold up for you? My Milwaukee does a really good job and I like the fact you can adjust the speeds based on the needs.

These wheels were a shit-ton of work and there were a number of times that I was questioning my sanity. I have been picking them up as I spotted them on eBay, and managed to acquire a set of five for a relatively inexpensive price. In total, I think I spent less than $350 for five Ford wheels made by Alcoa. A pretty good deal when you realize they no longer make them in 15" and when you look at what a single new Alcoa wheel costs.

I am slowly putting a trailer together and I started that entire project with the wheels. Reverse engineering I suppose. I knew I wanted these wheels because of the quality and I love how they look. If this project turns out the way I imagine it in my mind, the end result should be pretty badass. Fingers crossed!!

ChrisV

Reaction score
oh I don't care. Post away. I'm always down to learn something.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Are you running the Zephyr wheels on a bench grinder/polisher? If so, how does that hold up for you? My Milwaukee does a really good job and I like the fact you can adjust the speeds based on the needs.

These wheels were a shit-ton of work and there were a number of times that I was questioning my sanity. I have been picking them up as I spotted them on eBay, and managed to acquire a set of five for a relatively inexpensive price. In total, I think I spent less than $350 for five Ford wheels made by Alcoa. A pretty good deal when you realize they no longer make them in 15" and when you look at what a single new Alcoa wheel costs.

I am slowly putting a trailer together and I started that entire project with the wheels. Reverse engineering I suppose. I knew I wanted these wheels because of the quality and I love how they look. If this project turns out the way I imagine it in my mind, the end result should be pretty badass. Fingers crossed!!
Yea i run a vented wheel on one side and a cotton pad on the other on my 9” buffer 5/8 arbor polisher. But i also have an hand buffer but have never thought to use it with that’s type pad, I’ll definitely be doing that this fall however.

Backlash

Reaction score
Yea i run a vented wheel on one side and a cotton pad on the other on my 9” buffer 5/8 arbor polisher. But i also have an hand buffer but have never thought to use it with that’s type pad, I’ll definitely be doing that this fall however.
Right on! I'm no professional by any means.....I'm just really persistent. 🤣 I'd love to see your machine just so I have something to reference. I'd like to put together a nice home hobbiest machine dedicated to polishing. Something on a mobile base that I could roll out of the garage so I can do the work outdoors and try to keep my garage a little more clean.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Patiently waiting for the trailer…

Means other things getting done.

Adding two 10” subs. Not sure the power or specs cause my neighbor is doing all the math. So far it’s coming out nice. This will be in the front bow between the sponsors. Will be adding 30lbs so hopefully won’t slow down the boat much.

D25B243C-6AF3-4363-8D6D-BA3F7294D3FD.jpeg
B338DC36-4D5F-4E8C-9903-80E8023B4E7E.jpeg

lenmann

Reaction score
Patiently waiting for the trailer…

Means other things getting done.

Adding two 10” subs. Not sure the power or specs cause my neighbor is doing all the math. So far it’s coming out nice. This will be in the front bow between the sponsors. Will be adding 30lbs so hopefully won’t slow down the boat much.

View attachment 1273515 View attachment 1273516
Looks like nice work using quality materials. I still see shops putting MDF sub enclosures in boats...

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
looks fkn rad!

That boat was bitchen when you bought it, and you’ve done nothing but make it better!

Backlash

Reaction score
Just like everything else you've posted on this site...... INCREDIBLE!!! 💪