WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Icky

Reaction score
Had two friends with long travel kits on their Commanders. One drove like a maniac and would kill axles and the other was much more reserved and never had issues. They were sketchy to drive with all the steering feedback and lack of power steering back then.

The first generation Maverick with long travel was a cv killer.
I don't know about Charles but I never broke one axle or cv on mine.
Here's a picture of the stock arms just cause I took one the other day to put them up for sale.
20230819_162003.jpg

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
It seems like the CanAm took what wind was left out of the SpeedUTV's sails.

Were the guys who said "the Speed cars will be outdated when it is finally released" right?
In my opinion, the Can Am did sway a couple people into selling, but in reality, not very many.

For the 4000+ direct to consumer deposits, I think you're seeing what, maybe 10 Speed's for sale? Or, around .25% or sales, not even 1% of total sales.
I'd guess around the same percentage of brand new used PRoR's for sale.

As far as outdated, I'm still sticking with not completely outdated, I think the trans and motor might now be outdated, but all of the manufactures still sell a 1000cc motor, turbo and non, so is it really outdated?

The rest of the car is not outdated at all yet, suspension, chassis are never going to be outdated. Shocks do not need to be electronically controlled, that's a nice to have or maybe for the folks who need an "Oh Shit, I don't know how to drive", and the Speed has incredible shocks. Tech, It seems it's probably on par with the ProR and the new Can Am, as far as dash/screens. Interior wise, seats are much better in the Speed, harnesses are better.
Looks, i could be biased, but I still think it's winning in the looks department.

So besides motor and trans, what exactly is outdated?

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I agree with most things you stated but........ This one is stretching it. There is always improvements in these areas for any car, they WILL become outdated over time.
I would compare the chassis and suspension design to a Class 1/Class 10 car, we haven't really seen any design improvements in those cars over the last 10 years, and there doesn't appear to be anything coming that is game changing or will outdate the current cars. You may see some small gains in shock technology, but not much more.
As far as Chassis, a well designed chassis that is properly triangulated will probably never be outdated either.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The Speed cars look Awesome. I love the white ones!

From watching the vids, the suspension looks dialed.

The people that have high number cars, at the original price, are gonna score.

Patience is definitely a virtue. 👍🏼

sandshark1

Reaction score
In my opinion, the Can Am did sway a couple people into selling, but in reality, not very many.

For the 4000+ direct to consumer deposits, I think you're seeing what, maybe 10 Speed's for sale? Or, around .25% or sales, not even 1% of total sales.
I'd guess around the same percentage of brand new used PRoR's for sale.

As far as outdated, I'm still sticking with not completely outdated, I think the trans and motor might now be outdated, but all of the manufactures still sell a 1000cc motor, turbo and non, so is it really outdated?

The rest of the car is not outdated at all yet, suspension, chassis are never going to be outdated. Shocks do not need to be electronically controlled, that's a nice to have or maybe for the folks who need an "Oh Shit, I don't know how to drive", and the Speed has incredible shocks. Tech, It seems it's probably on par with the ProR and the new Can Am, as far as dash/screens. Interior wise, seats are much better in the Speed, harnesses are better.
Looks, i could be biased, but I still think it's winning in the looks department.

So besides motor and trans, what exactly is outdated?

Speeds biggest issue will be the after purchase support - dealer network, parts, and warranty.

The chassis is solid and as is the suspension. I would not say Speed is outdated just behind on the technology that the Pro R and new Can Am offer. RG was saying he was years ahead of the others, which might of been true when he first announce the Speed UTV.

I think you will see more Speed UTVs go up for sale if Speed does not get a good chunk of cars delivered to customers over the next few months.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Speeds biggest issue will be the after purchase support - dealer network, parts, and warranty.

The chassis is solid and as is the suspension. I would not say Speed is outdated just behind on the technology that the Pro R and new Can Am offer. RG was saying he was years ahead of the others, which might of been true when he first announce the Speed UTV.

I think you will see more Speed UTVs go up for sale if Speed does not get a good chunk of cars delivered to customers over the next few month

What technology are you referencing?

outboard_256

Reaction score
What technology are you referencing?

Some stuff on the new can-am I saw that speed didn't have tech wise. Different driving modes (normal, sport, sport+ with turbo antilag), different suspension modes, navi with option to track other can-am's on your map, smart lights (turn with the steering wheels, get brighter when you go faster, etc), telescoping and tilting steering wheel, touch screen buttons for accessories, separate speedo from big touch screen, steering wheel controls for touch screen.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Some stuff on the new can-am I saw that speed didn't have tech wise. Different driving modes (normal, sport, sport+ with turbo antilag), different suspension modes, navi with option to track other can-am's on your map, smart lights (turn with the steering wheels, get brighter when you go faster, etc), telescoping and tilting steering wheel, touch screen buttons for accessories, separate speedo from big touch screen, steering wheel controls for touch screen.
Those are all definitely more techy. Some I'd say are totally un-needed, like the following and autolights, not one true Offroad race car uses those, and they travel at much higher speeds. Now if they could do an auto-dust feature that lowered the lights when you hit dust, that would be cool, rather than shutting off the upper lights manually. Tilt and telescoping wheel is super cool if different people drive the car, or you're huge, or short like me.
GPS with follow me is cool, if everyone else has it.
Drive modes are sweet, especially since it seems like this thing rips.
Suspension modes, not really needed with properly designed and valved shocks, but cool for some people.

I'd love to drive one these CanAms, I'll bet they are fun as shit, but then again, I'd love to drive a Speed car also, LOL

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

I think you will see more Speed UTVs go up for sale if Speed does not get a good chunk of cars delivered to customers over the next few months.
I think its only natural for someone who has waited patiently to perhaps jump ship, now that a car that looks like it has impressive performance. They will see people out enjoying them, and are available at a dealer, ready to buy.

sandshark1

Reaction score
I have Speed email today that my RG Bandit is coming in. Has $9221 is accessories/deposit. This is first Bandit listed for sale. Desert riding season coming up fast. Get it before it’s gone.

Desert season is coming and so is Christmas, but your Speed Bandit won't be. LMAO!!!

sandshark1

Reaction score
Those are all definitely more techy. Some I'd say are totally un-needed, like the following and autolights, not one true Offroad race car uses those, and they travel at much higher speeds. Now if they could do an auto-dust feature that lowered the lights when you hit dust, that would be cool, rather than shutting off the upper lights manually. Tilt and telescoping wheel is super cool if different people drive the car, or you're huge, or short like me.
Suspension modes, not really needed with properly designed and valved shocks, but cool for some people.

I'd love to drive one these CanAms, I'll bet they are fun as shit, but then again, I'd love to drive a Speed car also, LOL

Have you ever seen the Rigid Industries Adapt lights? They would adjust to speed. They worked pretty well. Same concept with the Can Am lights. An ability to change from clear to an amber light for dust with a push of a button would be really awesome.

Live valve shocks have gotten a lot better. The Pro R stuff works really well and the new version of the Can Am is supposed to be equally as good. Being able to hit a button and switch the shocks on the fly is really nice. Well tuned shocks are amazing. The shock tuners can still do their magic with the live valve.

Last edited:

jesco

Reaction score

All total valid points and I agree, specially the part about really wanting to drive one!!Hahahah, and thats both the new CanAm and Speed car. A neighbor out at the river should have his Speed car now or really soon, cant wait to check it out.

Fishd00d

Reaction score

Heres the main difference between the Speed and the Pro R that I know of:

Motor and trans are clearly ahead on the Pro R, they don't break belts, have more power stock and much more room to build if you want to.

The Hubs on the Pro R are also better I feel.

The Brakes are clearly better.

The Ride Command system is a bit better, it includes a GPS that works by its self without needing a phone connected and you can see where your buddies are in a RZR without a phone or if they have a phone you can see anyone if they use the app and have service. The Speed has a few options that are cool like tire pressure and such but overall I think the Ride Command is better, not by a ton but it is ahead.

The shock modes are better. They actually make a BIG difference on the Pro R, its pretty rad going from soft to firm and a big jump with the push of a button. RG shocks are "good" but they do not work the same in all conditions. The oh shit button comes in handy even when you are a smart driver.

The steering on the Pro R is way better, it has different modes for that also for more and less assist. There is no where near the feedback in the wheel as the Speed either.

The Throttle modes on the Pro R are handy as well, it also makes a big difference between them.

The steering wheel tilts and telescopes in and out, I don't think Speed does both right? (I could be wrong on this)

The Plus I would give to Speed over the Pro R would be:

Seats, Belts, Cage, Suspension Geometry, Chassis frame build/weld quality. Honestly I cant think of much other......

The Speed is still the best LOOKING car out of all of them.

grumpy88

Reaction score
That Yamaha is crazy ! This new breed of sxs is insane . I will be Debbie downer here though . Medivacs are going to be busy ! 95 mph through open public terrain is going to get a lot of people wadded up .

sandshark1

Reaction score
That Yamaha is crazy ! This new breed of sxs is insane . I will be Debbie downer here though . Medivacs are going to be busy ! 95 mph through open public terrain is going to get a lot of people wadded up .

Have you not been to Camp RZR in Glamis? They will just wade it up in more spectacular form. LOL!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I though I read ''no hand steering'' or did I read that on the Schiada forums about hydraulic steering?

sure looking like a lotta monkey shine going on with the steering wheel.

sandshark1

Reaction score
I though I read ''no hand steering'' or did I read that on the Schiada forums about hydraulic steering?

sure looking like a lotta monkey shine going on with the steering wheel.

Did you not see him land with one hand on the wheel?

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Heres the main difference between the Speed and the Pro R that I know of:

Motor and trans are clearly ahead on the Pro R, they don't break belts, have more power stock and much more room to build if you want to.

The Hubs on the Pro R are also better I feel.

The Brakes are clearly better.

The Ride Command system is a bit better, it includes a GPS that works by its self without needing a phone connected and you can see where your buddies are in a RZR without a phone or if they have a phone you can see anyone if they use the app and have service. The Speed has a few options that are cool like tire pressure and such but overall I think the Ride Command is better, not by a ton but it is ahead.

The shock modes are better. They actually make a BIG difference on the Pro R, its pretty rad going from soft to firm and a big jump with the push of a button. RG shocks are "good" but they do not work the same in all conditions. The oh shit button comes in handy even when you are a smart driver.

The steering on the Pro R is way better, it has different modes for that also for more and less assist. There is no where near the feedback in the wheel as the Speed either.

The Throttle modes on the Pro R are handy as well, it also makes a big difference between them.

The steering wheel tilts and telescopes in and out, I don't think Speed does both right? (I could be wrong on this)

The Plus I would give to Speed over the Pro R would be:

Seats, Belts, Cage, Suspension Geometry, Chassis frame build/weld quality. Honestly I cant think of much other......

The Speed is still the best LOOKING car out of all of them.
Good points, I would love telescoping/tilt wheel, Speed does not offer that, it does have a collapsing column though, which is nice for that one time when you need it.
I'm not sold on live valve shocks, they might be for some people, but not for me.
I've always thought the ride command was cool as shit that Polaris had once I figured out what it was.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Good points, I would love telescoping/tilt wheel, Speed does not offer that, it does have a collapsing column though, which is nice for that one time when you need it.
I'm not sold on live valve shocks, they might be for some people, but not for me.
I've always thought the ride command was cool as shit that Polaris had once I figured out what it was.
For racing I am not sold on the Live Valve either and I am working on getting a Pro R to race and we will run Kings on it. But for a prerunner/play car the Live Valve are badass. What part of them are you not sold on?

Last edited:

702sandman

Reaction score
For racing I am not sold on the Live Valve either and I am working on getting a Pro R to race and we will run Kings on it. But for a prerunner/play car the Live Valve are badass. What part of them are you not sold on?
Not sure why your not sold on them for racing Austin? they work amazing, Sierra loves hers and I use mine a lot on my race turbo R. Both zero issue and it’s nice being able to change modes on the fly

702sandman

Reaction score
I'm gonna play devils advocate, not because I'm waiting on my Speed car, but because this dude, from all of his videos and pics has never been an offroad guy. Every thing he posts comes off as he's never owned or driven offroad nor owned a car.
That being said, this didn't inspire me to own my deposit.
So you have to have off road experience to own it ? That’s not going to work out good than beacause A LOT of non off-roaders go out and buy toys like this. 🤷🏼‍♂️

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure I heard a Long time ago, that if you didn't Know what you were doing, you were gonna have issues with the trans?

As far as I can tell...

This was Never a car designed for a novice.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Not sure why your not sold on them for racing Austin? they work amazing, Sierra loves hers and I use mine a lot on my race turbo R. Both zero issue and it’s nice being able to change modes on the fly
I feel like its just one more thing to go wrong during a race situation. I dont feel like you would even change modes during a race. I would just run it in Baja mode the whole time anyways so why even have more stuff to fail?

702sandman

Reaction score
I feel like it’s just one more thing to go wrong during a race situation. I dont feel like you would even change modes during a race. I would just run it in Baja mode the whole time anyways so why even have more stuff to fail?
so Far we haven’t had any issues with it during a race. Knock on wood lol. I had fox set mine up for a good happy medium so I can hit the oh shit button if needed, and that is the same as my race mode. But on a course like the Cali 300 or the mint I’d leave in that mode. But on a course like Parker, Laughlin, silver state and V2R I race in my softer setting and use the oh shit button.