WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Albacore

Reaction score
You're definitely not alone...

People get stuck in the past sometimes is all.

Looks don't mean jack. How something works is what's important.
You're definitely not alone...

People get stuck in the past sometimes is all.

Looks don't mean jack. How something works is what's important.
It’s been done before someone said BMW or somebody has something but you don’t see it because it’s under the hood or a fender. Here’s a picture of something more off-road like. I guess we could all say we don’t see it widely used in off-road racing.
IMG_2163.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
lol. I built one earlier. Spare carrier and ratchet strap is right on the accessories page. I added to my build sheet.
1Carl, you lose. Your gamble didn’t pay off. Hope you have 7 kids to drive all your cars

As much as that guy is nails on a chalk board.. you won’t know that until it’s sand sports show

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It’s been done before someone said BMW or somebody has something but you don’t see it because it’s under the hood or a fender. Here’s a picture of something more off-road like. I guess we could all say we don’t see it widely used in off-road racing. View attachment 1268014

BMW does some funky lower ball joint stuff on the 7 Series. They use 2 joints and 2 arms on the bottom of the spindle.

Kept the tire flat on the ground, regardless of the steering or cornering angle.

They also used electronic controlled hydraulic sway bars on that car.

The car, and tire, were flat to the road at all times.

You're driving a big ass car, but it feels like you're driving a shifter kart! 😜

It was fun doing alignments on them.

Reactions: DWC

702sandman

Reaction score
Would have been cool if they went the X-travel route. A lot more moving parts on the x-travel set up.
The only down side of the X Travel is the amount of heims they use and how often those are needing to be changed out. On the pro R it almost numbs the feed back with all the heims. We have had great success with the stock arms modified by lone star and their upper arm.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
The only down side of the X Travel is the amount of heims they use and how often those are needing to be changed out. On the pro R it almost numbs the feed back with all the heims. We have had great success with the stock arms modified by lone star and their upper arm.
Ya it uses 20 uniballs in the system. However they do seem to last a decent amount of time. I have 1000 miles on my kit so far and they are all tight still, yes I know thats not racing. But they did say they get at least 1000 miles out of most of them when racing and there is only a few of them that need to be changed more often than others. On trucks you are changing almost every heim/uniball every race also.....but I could see why this wouldnt be a great option for an OEM setup selling these to the public with that much maintenance.

I had the Lone Star upper arm on mine and it was nice to have adjustability but it still had a ton of feedback. I don't know why anyone would race without the Xtravel kit honestly its so night and day.

702sandman

Reaction score
Ya it uses 20 uniballs in the system. However they do seem to last a decent amount of time. I have 1000 miles on my kit so far and they are all tight still, yes I know thats not racing. But they did say they get at least 1000 miles out of most of them when racing and there is only a few of them that need to be changed more often than others. On trucks you are changing almost every heim/uniball every race also.....but I could see why this wouldnt be a great option for an OEM setup selling these to the public with that much maintenance.

I had the Lone Star upper arm on mine and it was nice to have adjustability but it still had a ton of feedback. I don't know why anyone would race without the Xtravel kit honestly it’s so night and day.
The feedback has a ton to do with offset of the wheel and your caster and camber settings. before each race we have lone star double check our settings and it work’s awesome 🤷🏼‍♂️ and it’s Way Way cheaper than X travel. Sims also doesn’t run the X travel and is usually on the podium. (Not V2R though) 🙃

Fishd00d

Reaction score
The feedback has a ton to do with offset of the wheel and your caster and camber settings. before each race we have lone star double check our settings and it work’s awesome 🤷🏼‍♂️ and it’s Way Way cheaper than X travel. Sims also doesn’t run the X travel and is usually on the podium. (Not V2R though) 🙃
Have you driven a Pro R with the X-Travel kit?

EarpRider

Reaction score
If you click their best bundle it shoots the price to 61k pretty quick.

I clicked that and added an emergency kit and one other thing and it was 62 and change

(Top left hand corner) View attachment 1267570
It's kind of funny how much everyone talks about the price of a Speed or a Can Am , and which one is worth $40,000 or $$70,000. But meanwhile average Joe's are buying $300,000 wake surf boats and that's not an eye opener?
Screenshot_20230822-113804_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's kind funny how much everyone talks about the price of a Speed or a Can Am , and which one us worth $40,000 or $$70,000. But meanwhile average Joe's are buying $300,000 wake surf boats and that's not an eye opener?
View attachment 1268054

Not an option...

No way is that fitting in a toy hauler.

👎

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Had two friends with long travel kits on their Commanders. One drove like a maniac and would kill axles and the other was much more reserved and never had issues. They were sketchy to drive with all the steering feedback and lack of power steering back then.

The first generation Maverick with long travel was a cv killer.
i was a maniac driving mine with long travel. broke plenty of axles and cv's. dont get me started on belt lol.

702sandman

Reaction score
And your car handles the same and the steering is the same with just the Lone Star upper arms?
The X travel definitely Numbs the feedback more. For US it’s not worth the extra 6K 🤷🏼‍♂️ we have over 3,000 race miles now on hers and on my new one I will have the exact same set up. If it was a big deal the factory cars would have this also, but instead Steve was telling me the other day on those cars they run the upper lone star arm also…..James from Xtravel is a friend and we believe his system works, he has tried to get us to run it for 2 years now even on my race pro XP, but haven’t jumped over yet lol

Fishd00d

Reaction score
The X travel definitely Numbs the feedback more. For US it’s not worth the extra 6K 🤷🏼‍♂️ we have over 3,000 race miles now on hers and on my new one I will have the exact same set up. If it was a big deal the factory cars would have this also, but instead Steve was telling me the other day on those cars they run the upper lone star arm also…..James from Xtravel is a friend and we believe his system works, he has tried to get us to run it for 2 years now even on my race pro XP, but haven’t jumped over yet lol
Right on haha! Ya the feedback is the biggest difference to me. Makes it so you can drive the car a lot longer without as much fatigue. Honestly I would never expect the factory cars to run it because they are suppose to be "Factory" race cars, I am surprised they even run the Lone Star upper, I think they take the sticker off to hide it haha.

702sandman

Reaction score
Right on haha! Ya the feedback is the biggest difference to me. Makes it so you can drive the car a lot longer without as much fatigue. Honestly I would never expect the factory cars to run it because they are suppose to be "Factory" race cars, I am surprised they even run the Lone Star upper, I think they take the sticker off to hide it haha.
Without going into detail…. having adjustable caster and camber is key and wheel offset.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
ill be honest it looks like this car is going to haul the mail, and no belt at 110 mph is to me a HUGE deal….we got some catching up to do for sure

We’ll said. Can-Am has been plagued, or had a stigma, of being problematic blowing belts at those speeds. This car is going to compete in a big way if it lives up to what it appears to be.

DLC

Reaction score
We’ll said. Can-Am has been plagued, or had a stigma, of being problematic blowing belts at those speeds. This car is going to compete in a big way if it lives up to what it appears to be.
I didn’t know about can am and belt issues…
Could you expand on that? Is it just at High speed?

Last ride I had my car over 90 w/ NO belt issues, also driven 75-85 for some time and no belt problems

Same ride buddy had his turbo S at 90 and he popped a belt and blew out part of his case…

riverroyal

Reaction score

Last ride I had my car over 90 w/ NO belt issues, also driven 75-85 for some time and no belt problems

Same ride buddy had his turbo S at 90 and he popped a belt and blew out part of his case…
I have just over 3000 miles on mine, no broken belts. Which means no issues. I have a spare and the quick tool, never used them on the trail.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

There’s no science behind it but we’re always joking with the guys we race with with Canned Hams that they smoke us in the straights (Turbo S) but we’ll pass them during their belt change.

Like I said, there’s no science, but they do blow belts more frequently when in the go fast sections for extended periods of time.

99% of the people on this forum are weekend warrior riders so it’s nothing to worry about. It appears the belt is gone for good anyways so the belt issue is now history.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
The X3 are also very bad at eating up CV boots especially in long straights like a highway section in a race. On the Trail Of Mission I did with 13 of them in Baja a couple months ago over 5 days every day multiple of them had to change axles cause of the boots at the end of each day. They also blew belts on highway section a few times. These new boots/cv look bigger I believe?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Who has the turbo s lol

Wasn’t me hahah

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Ive got close to 6,000 miles on my 2018 can am max, no broken belts or CV boots. I change the belt once a year in my maintenance routine

I did break/ Crack the upper transmission mount and crack the rear trailing arm….

both were easily fixed.

sandshark1

Reaction score
The X3 are also very bad at eating up CV boots especially in long straights like a highway section in a race. On the Trail Of Mission I did with 13 of them in Baja a couple months ago over 5 days every day multiple of them had to change axles cause of the boots at the end of each day. They also blew belts on highway section a few times. These new boots/cv look bigger I believe?

Strange they would be eating CV boots on highway section. Belts on a highway section I can see if they are hauling ass for extended periods without fluctuating the throttle. Belt staying in the same position on the clutch faces is going to heat up.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Strange they would be eating CV boots on highway section. Belts on a highway section I can see if they are hauling ass for extended periods without fluctuating the throttle. Belt staying in the same position on the clutch faces is going to heat up.
Ya its the heat and the boot sitting in the same position the whole time I guess. They were having people swerve back and forth now and then to keep the boot flexing a bit also.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Ya its the heat and the boot sitting in the same position the whole time I guess. They were having people swerve back and forth now and then to keep the boot flexing a bit also.
How many miles of road was this?

Fishd00d

Reaction score
How many miles of road was this?
They are having the issues during the rallys they do mostly where there is long transfer sections before and after the special.....Dakar and etc. Longest we had was around 50 miles at a time on our trip. I dont know if they failed during that section or just during the day but everyday on our trip at least 1-3 canams was changing axles with cracked boots at the end of the day.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
They are having the issues during the rallys they do mostly where there is long transfer sections before and after the special.....Dakar and etc. Longest we had was around 50 miles at a time on our trip. I dont know if they failed during that section or just during the day but everyday on our trip at least 1-3 canams was changing axles with cracked boots at the end of the day.

Nobody makes better (aftermarket) boots for these things??

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Here is a Speed for sale at the sand show for MSRP + Accessories........

Like I said its gonna be hard to flip these for much more than MSRP!

Attachments

• IMG_5679.JPG
    IMG_5679.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Wow

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Here is a Speed for sale at the sand show for MSRP + Accessories........

Like I said its gonna be hard to flip these for much more than MSRP!
He's most likely not asking his original MSRP, but todays MSRP, which is a considerable amount of difference in price. 54 is a great price still I think, as the ProR is around this price, and probably doesn't have near the accessories he's added here.

FWIW, I got an email today regarding my pick up date, and I can pick it up at the SSSS if I want, I think I'm going to pick up Sunday, head to the River, put some quick miles on it, and head back home Monday night.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
He's most likely not asking his original MSRP, but todays MSRP, which is a considerable amount of difference in price. 54 is a great price still I think, as the ProR is around this price, and probably doesn't have near the accessories he's added here.

FWIW, I got an email today regarding my pick up date, and I can pick it up at the SSSS if I want, I think I'm going to pick up Sunday, head to the River, put some quick miles on it, and head back home Monday night.
Ya of course hes making $$ cause he was an early buy, but people who thought they were going to be selling these for 70K are gonna have good luck trying to do that when ones are selling for MSRP at the sand show!

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Ya of course hes making $$ cause he was an early buy, but people who thought they were going to be selling these for 70K are gonna have good luck trying to do that when ones are selling for MSRP at the sand show!
I agree, I think that 60K+ ship sailed after the review with Nick and now the new CanAm.

1Carl

Reaction score
I paid $1375 for speed key but now they’re $2500. Stereo and light bar costs more also.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I’d say the bandit is worth way less just seeing the new can am 2 seater showed up. 4 seater should still be able to get the current MSRP no problem plus the savings on the extras going up in price.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
I have Speed email today that my RG Bandit is coming in. Has $9221 is accessories/deposit. This is first Bandit listed for sale. Desert riding season coming up fast. Get it before it’s gone.

Like a carnival barker. LOL

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I have Speed email today that my RG Bandit is coming in. Has $9221 is accessories/deposit. This is first Bandit listed for sale. Desert riding season coming up fast. Get it before it’s gone.
Carl is goin to make bank...:D

Singleton

Reaction score
I got 20k cash.. that is my best and final offer