WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OUI Checkpoint yesterday

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Never thought they would set one up on the southside of the lake. Huge dealio, tons of popo, most standing around doing absolutely nothing including not helping in any way to keep your boat from banging into the docks from the waves. I had to back my boat in to the slip (that was my first drunk test). All of my passengers were holding the boat off the dock from the wind driven waves including me. Close to 10 officers surrounding my boat and nobody will help in any way. The good news is I got my blue wristband for being a sober operator.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
What a shame. You can't even get drunk and drive your boat around the south end of the lake anymore. What is this world coming to?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bunkrepair

Reaction score
i was amazed how they had that no wake zone set up and in the late afternoon people were not letting up at all, so they shuffled you all the way to the game and fish docks?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
i was amazed how they had that no wake zone set up and in the late afternoon people were not letting up at all, so they shuffled you all the way to the game and fish docks?

Yeah, they had a line of buoys all the way back to the fish and game docks. It was in such a wide open part of the lake that some people didnt stop. Those that didn't got popped by more popo waiting at the beginning of the no wake zone.

bunkrepair

Reaction score
Yeah, they had a line of buoys all the way back to the fish and game docks. It was in such a wide open part of the lake that some people didnt stop. Those that didn't got popped by more popo waiting at the beginning of the no wake zone.

i slowed down and idled thru there and thought i was gonna get ran over by a few boats coming north on the lake, i didnt see a cop one in the couple hours i was out yesterday

HBCraig

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about Havasu Springs? Were they are the docks? Launch ramp?

bunkrepair

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about Havasu Springs? Were they are the docks? Launch ramp?

no about a half mile out side of thompson bay and the docks are along side highway 95 kinda back in a mini cove

HBCraig

Reaction score
no about a half mile out side of thompson bay and the docks are along side highway 95 kinda back in a mini cove

Random stops? Just curious why ONE A DAY was stopping at these docks.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We counted 60 plus cops on the docks, probably 25 more or so in boats and sea doos.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nope it wasnt random, every single northbound boat got sent in.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
crazy! how long were you stopped?

5 minutes, check for fire extinguisher, life jackets and throwable, and that was it. I was supervising 5 drunk nurses on my boat so I was slamming back waters all day.

NoDoz

Reaction score
Smooth sailing for me yesterday :D
Except when the wind picked up and it turned in to the pacific ocean :thumbsdown

6 Dollar Boat

Reaction score
I was heading south at 8:45 AM, and I think I snapped a rope they were using to set up the buoys.

One State Patrol boat was pulling a line across the lake.

The boat that had the other side of the rope was not very close to the patrol boat. So I went between them..... they were not very happy.:p

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Yep , got pulled in , checked everything including me , sent us in our way with a wristband ...

Duffster

Reaction score
I was heading south at 8:45 AM, and I think I snapped a rope they were using to set up the buoys.

One State Patrol boat was pulling a line across the lake.

The boat that had the other side of the rope was not very close to the patrol boat. So I went between them..... they were not very happy.:p

Sounds like a serious hazard putting a rope across the lake.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
What a fokking joke..........seriously:thumbsdown

charlyox

Reaction score
Sounds like they are not taking this lightly.:(

HEY YOU

Reaction score
wtf???

and not even a holiday weekend??? was there some event goin on out there? thats nuts!!!
They can't do these type of sting's or what ever they call them on holiday weekend's because they bring in cop's from everywhere.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
How would you find out about the stats? How many OUI arrested if any, etc?

dirtracer

Reaction score
I wonder how they justify the money that is spent on all those cops - half of them probably getting paid overtime. Has anyone heard how many arrest they made? All the reports I've heard is that OUI arrest have been declining sharply for 5 years now - I do not think it is a bad problem anymore. it all sucks!:thumbsdown

WTDecker

Reaction score
Never thought they would set one up on the southside of the lake. Huge dealio, tons of popo, most standing around doing absolutely nothing including not helping in any way to keep your boat from banging into the docks from the waves. I had to back my boat in to the slip (that was my first drunk test). All of my passengers were holding the boat off the dock from the wind driven waves including me. Close to 10 officers surrounding my boat and nobody will help in any way. The good news is I got my blue wristband for being a sober operator.

They don't care about your boat! I would have gave them their Gay wrist band back:fingers:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I wonder how they justify the money that is spent on all those cops - half of them probably getting paid overtime. Has anyone heard how many arrest they made? All the reports I've heard is that OUI arrest have been declining sharply for 5 years now - I do not think it is a bad problem anymore. it all sucks!:thumbsdown
Real easy, all they have to say is that "if they just save one drunk driver from hurting someone it's worth all the money in the world", and if you speak out against that mentality you sound like a real asshole and you will be ridiculed to no end.

That operation probably costs about 25k-30k a day to run between all the officers' salaries, the fuel/maintenance etc for all the boats. If you have 60 cops and they are all making $200 (i'm guessing this is conservative, i bet their whole package including beni's is worth probably about $400 each they are working) it's $12,000 right off the bat, and like i'm saying, i think $200 a day for the cop's entire package is a way light estimate.

dirtracer

Reaction score
Real easy, all they have to say is that "if they just save one drunk driver from hurting someone it's worth all the money in the world", and if you speak out against that mentality you sound like a real asshole and you will be ridiculed to no end.

That operation probably costs about 25k-30k a day to run between all the officers' salaries, the fuel/maintenance etc for all the boats. If you have 60 cops and they are all making $200 (i'm guessing this is conservative, i bet their whole package including beni's is worth probably about $400 each they are working) it's $12,000 right off the bat, and like i'm saying, i think $200 a day for the cop's entire package is a way light estimate.

Your are right - they hide behind the mask of "Public Safety" while they squander away tax money, get paid overtime, and play on the water - all in the mask of "public safety" - this does suck! :grumble:

WTDecker

Reaction score
Your are right - they hide behind the mask of "Public Safety" while they squander away tax money, get paid overtime, and play on the water - all in the mask of "public safety" - this does suck! :grumble:

Isn't that the truth!!

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
These deals are about saftey grants and O.T.......... Union Bargining BS. Fock them. :thumbsdown

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

WTF
One of the tests for checking for being drunk was to back the boat into the boat slip? Shit thats a hard just being sober. What about the v-drives.

Last edited:

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score

I gotta take exception to this post.

First, I will say I am no fan of check points of any kind. I believe that they are an infringement of our basic constitutional rights against unlawful search... But the U.S. Supreme Court has a different opinion on this.

Second, I have been sucked into a check point and thought for sure I was going to jail. Ended up blowing a .042 and was sent on my way with a very polite be careful. Took all of five minutes.

But here's were I have a problem with your quote, if you think that those guys are having fun, or "playing" as you call it, while wearing a uniform working in that hot Arizona sun while dealing with drunks all day, you are way off base.

Is it squandering money away? I doubt it. How many people have a designated driver these days and what is the decrease in percentages of drunk driving related fatalities. I doubt anyone can really make an argument that the water isn't safer today than it was ten years ago. Besides the money spent is recovered in the court rooms across america to be reintroduced and spent somewhere else. It all goes around...

Flame suit on!

thumbs

Reaction score

Yes, OUI arrest have been declining for the last 5 years. It's not a coincidence that they have been doing these check for about five or six years. It works. If you stop having them the problem will probably come back. I have no issue with the stops whatsoever.

As far as having 60 cops standing around doing nothing seems a bit too much.

thumbs

Reaction score
But here's were I have a problem with your quote, if you think that those guys are having fun, or "playing" as you call it, while wearing a uniform working in that hot Arizona sun while dealing with drunks all day, you are way off base.

Is it squandering money away? I doubt it. How many people have a designated driver these days and what is the decrease in percentages of drunk driving related fatalities. I doubt anyone can really make an argument that the water isn't safer today than it was ten years ago. Besides the money spent is recovered in the court rooms across america to be reintroduced and spent somewhere else. It all goes around...

Flame suit on!

:thumbsup

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Never thought they would set one up on the southside of the lake. Huge dealio, tons of popo, most standing around doing absolutely nothing including not helping in any way to keep your boat from banging into the docks from the waves.

I left Steamboat right behind you but was probably an hour behind after we wake boarded the kids. They were very easy going with me but I did have some nice marks on the hull from the boat rubbing on the dock. Fortunately they came out with some wax and a bit of elbow grease.

2Driver

Reaction score
WTF
One of the tests for checking for being drunk was to back the boat into the boat slip? Shit thats a hard just being sober. What about the v-drives.

That is just focking insane. Like backing into a slip in the wind is what everyone does several times a day in Havasu. Gee I guess if I suck at parallel parking my Tundra I am DUI. :fingers:

I hope every OUI was caught and locked up but the goofy shit government comes up with sometimes doesnt exactly builld respct.

Ultra26 # 1

2007 Ultra 26 Shadow
Reaction score
Would have been nice to have had one of these out the weekend the Fountain killed the man on the PWC or the weekend when Sara was killed.

Flame away

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I gotta take exception to this post.

First, I will say I am no fan of check points of any kind. I believe that they are an infringement of our basic constitutional rights against unlawful search... But the U.S. Supreme Court has a different opinion on this.

Second, I have been sucked into a check point and thought for sure I was going to jail. Ended up blowing a .042 and was sent on my way with a very polite be careful. Took all of five minutes.

Flame suit on!

Hot AZ Sun? Pleeeez,dealing w/ drunks? News flash, that's the job description,don't like it, find a new profession. I'm sure the guy sucking ass-waste from porta-potties anywhere in the world, even Alaska,would gladly trade places w/ those unfortunate heat exhausted revenue generating water cops any day......

kevnmcd

Reaction score
A breathalizer or a quick looksee?

Craig - They just made Kurt blow into the LEO's hand while he sniffed for any alcohol. We had a drink at lunch at the Springs and waters the rest of the day so it wasn't an issue for us.

I left Steamboat right behind you but was probably an hour behind after we wake boarded the kids. They were very easy going with me but I did have some nice marks on the hull from the boat rubbing on the dock. Fortunately they came out with some wax and a bit of elbow grease.

Yeah, my elbow grease! :grumble: Small price to pay for being the boat bitch all day, I guess. :D

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Craig - They just made Kurt blow into the LEO's hand while he sniffed for any alcohol. We had a drink at lunch at the Springs and waters the rest of the day so it wasn't an issue for us.

Yeah, my elbow grease! :grumble: Small price to pay for being the boat bitch all day, I guess. :D

I figured you chime in on this comment. :D
Thanks for all of your help as usual. Good weekend!:thumbsup

HBCraig

Reaction score

Hmm. Interesting.

shueman

Reaction score
A lot of "talk", but no PIX...:blah: I wanna see shots of the 60 cops on the docks...:eek: Sounds like theiy're getting things ready for Memorial Day..

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
Hot AZ Sun? Pleeeez,dealing w/ drunks? News flash, that's the job description,don't like it, find a new profession. I'm sure the guy sucking ass-waste from porta-potties anywhere in the world, even Alaska,would gladly trade places w/ those unfortunate heat exhausted revenue generating water cops any day......

No doubt. I totally agree...but it's work, not play, which is what I was refering to. We all have a choice where we want to go to work and make as much (or as little) as we want.