WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I know this is a boating site but can we please get a good snowmobile thread going???

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
For those that have not done it you have to give it a try. It is a blast!!! Going to West Yellowstone with about a. Group of 15 for an annual trip that goes back witht he group about a decade. I was lucky to be invited several years. This year we will be there from Feb 8th-12th. I am thinking about driving the truck up there from Havasu with our son and possibly stopping a place out two to go snowboarding.

View attachment 1183338 View attachment 1183340 View attachment 1183342

View attachment 1183334 View attachment 1183335 View attachment 1183336 View attachment 1183337

This is something I've had on my bucket list forever.

I'm curious about the costs involved?

How long were you there, and roughly, what did the Whole thing cost all together?

Thanks for the help! 👍🏼

JD D05

Reaction score
This is something I've had on my bucket list forever.

I'm curious about the costs involved?

How long were you there, and roughly, what did the Whole thing cost all together?

Thanks for the help! 👍🏼

I personally would avoid Yellowstone they have a speed limit and only allow 4 stroke. If you just want a calm trail ride that's fine but there are a lot of places to do that. If you want more of a back country experience on the new mountain sleds with some basic riding instruction there is a number of places to go. My good friend here in Utah does this and can guide in Utah & Idaho.

https://mountainslayerz.com/#

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I personally would avoid Yellowstone they have a speed limit and only allow 4 stroke. If you just want a calm trail ride that's fine but there are a lot of places to do that. If you want more of a back country experience on the new mountain sleds with some basic riding instruction there is a number of places to go. My good friend here in Utah does this and can guide in Utah & Idaho.

Yeah but you're big time into this and I've never done it before! 🤣

I love Yellowstone and would love to see it in the winter. Such a beautiful place.

I don't Think I'd be bored, but I also don't want to let the adrenaline junky out in me doing something I'd probably get hurt on! 😱

I'm ok with just the bunny slopes for now.

Maybe I'll give your friend a call though. Thanks!

JD D05

Reaction score
Yeah but you're big time into this and I've never done it before! 🤣

I love Yellowstone and would love to see it in the winter. Such a beautiful place.

I don't Think I'd be bored, but I also don't want to let the adrenaline junky out in me doing something I'd probably get hurt on! 😱

I'm ok with just the bunny slopes for now.

Maybe I'll give your friend a call though. Thanks!
Totally get that! My buddy takes out people all the time that have never rode. I took the USC cheerleaders with him a few years ago. Don't be a pussy.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
I'm Just Saying

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1667348838703.jpg
    FB_IMG_1667348838703.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 65
  • FB_IMG_1666838823794.jpg
    FB_IMG_1666838823794.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 67

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

\We do West Yellowstone. There are some areas with Speed limits. If you go into Yellowstone park you have to go on a tour and it is SLOW.

We go with About 15-20 guys so the costs of hotel and car rental are split up. Yukon XL from $800-$2k. The bummer thing is that we typically don’t use the vehicles much. We will walk or ride sleds in town. Hotel is about $200-250 a night but can sleeps 4-6. Sleds are about $1k for the 5 days. Then you have air. We are flying out of Vegas into Idaho Falls or Bozeman.

Let me know if you want more info. It is a blast of a guys trip and if you are interested you should go once.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Not a big fan of snow, especially since most of my time in it has been spent putting chains on 18 wheelers, but this looks like a blast. I think I could enjoy living in the snow like this. 😊

RCDave

Reaction score
Thinking about a sled. Stock and for 2. What is the best sled? Not experienced but rode motocross when I was younger. Now I'm 57

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
\We do West Yellowstone. There are some areas with Speed limits. If you go into Yellowstone park you have to go on a tour and it is SLOW.

We go with About 15-20 guys so the costs of hotel and car rental are split up. Yukon XL from $800-$2k. The bummer thing is that we typically don’t use the vehicles much. We will walk or ride sleds in town. Hotel is about $200-250 a night but can sleeps 4-6. Sleds are about $1k for the 5 days. Then you have air. We are flying out of Vegas into Idaho Falls or Bozeman.

Let me know if you want more info. It is a blast of a guys trip and if you are interested you should go once.
My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail... 😅😅😜

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Thinking about a sled. Stock and for 2. What is the best sled? Not experienced but rode motocross when I was younger. Now I'm 57
You can go up to McCall and rent them from a few places. Brundage Resort runs guided trips into Burgdorf and other places, or go over to Sun Valley or Stanley and do a one day guided trip before you buy a sled. They're solid fun.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
are you going to ride groomed trails only? Or a Mixture? Crossover sleds are about the only option for two, and its extremely weight dependent...unless you go with something like a trail only grand touring. I went through this Delima because of MaK..for now she's harnessed to me, and Im guessing in 2 seasons I'll haver her on her own 120.

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Probably mostly trail with a little mixture thrown in.

Good suggestion Dave. I saw that. Seems they run then out of tamarack too

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail... 😅😅😜
Feb 8th-13th This coming year. You are welcome to join in the festivities. Should have a couch to sleep in or you can spoon our son. Was thinking about driving but looks like we will be flying for several reasons. One of those reasons is NOT that it sounds like SouthWest has their act together. LOL

rebelmark75

Reaction score
I also collect and tinker with cabooses and vintage sleds , one of which is heading down to @LuckyStrike one of these days.

My restored show sled is a 1969 Ski Doo Olympic 320as which resides in my game room and only comes out for vintage sled shows.

The last 4 pics is of when i pulled the 2 ski doo nordic 440e and the ski boose out of an old mans shed. I was planning a a full restoration but i passed them on to a buddy for a father son project.

I will get in to my snowmaking operation another day :D
View attachment 1184043 View attachment 1184044 View attachment 1184045 View attachment 1184046 View attachment 1184047 View attachment 1184049 View attachment 1184050 View attachment 1184051 View attachment 1184052
I grew up riding a 1971 Skidoo Olypiqye 399!!!! Wow great memories

DarkJuJu

Reaction score

I don't know what model this is but I would want the sled at the 12:45 mark

Andy B.

Reaction score
Yamaha 338 back in Wisconsin we had 12 acres and farm land all around us early 70's.

Track Man

Reaction score
You guys are the village where is it gonna kill me. Actually they’re better in the tree than getting buried in the snow. I put my address on one so yes they are my address sign. It helps with UPS and others in the summertime. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people that stop and cake pics. We just got massive amounts of rain and then 3 to 4 feet of snow. Riding today was awesome.
30D7D859-07C2-4599-8A6C-BD78F83B7CF1.jpeg

fast99

Reaction score
Haven't ridden in 20 years but wore out 3 new sleds. Used to take one trip a year to Yellowstone. This was back when you could make a complete loop. It was absolutely awesome the first time, after that forget it.

There is good powder all around the area outside the park. Only limit is fuel, and it wouldn't be particularly wise to be very far out at night.

From talking to friends yesterday's sleds were junk compared to what is available today. Even 20 years ago it was expensive. Probably much more so today.

We found the cheapest way to go is rent one of the condos a few miles outside the town. Don't know if that is still available.

4Waters

Reaction score
We call him big your Mike. I wish I would’ve put a snow cat and the Raptor in there. Maybe next time .People think we get bored up here but never. View attachment 1183935
Send it!!

Looks like my sled is sold so I will be ordering a G5. Thinking I want to do this on the new one.

View attachment 1184157 View attachment 1184158
That's good for you this year, we'll unless I have you mixed up with another inmate, didn't you hurt yourself a few weeks back

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Last riding day this trip….skies were clear and we went to the top of sugarloaf in WA. This is over 7500 feet, and earlier I was on the fence about length for the new sled...165 is going to be what I go with I think. My current 154 was good, but I did bury it in a spot that I didn't think I would have. Looking forward to having a turbo sled next season at these elevations.

I have tried to get to this place 3x over the years, and either it was white out conditions and we turned back, or we got stuck with heavy snowfall and whiteout conditions. The ice formation on the trees and sign were really cool..

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3418 2.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Feb 8th-13th This coming year. You are welcome to join in the festivities. Should have a couch to sleep in or you can spoon our son. Was thinking about driving but looks like we will be flying for several reasons. One of those reasons is NOT that it sounds like SouthWest has their act together. LOL
Honestly I'd love to come but I'm 99% sure I'm gone for a conference part of that, and then we are supposed to be in whitefish for valentines day...but we may cancel that trip so Bri can save her PTO days for WA in March. I'll be in town this weekend, and will text you.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Honestly I'd love to come but I'm 99% sure I'm gone for a conference part of that, and then we are supposed to be in whitefish for valentines day...but we may cancel that trip so Bri can save her PTO days for WA in March. I'll be in town this weekend, and will text you.
We are on the road this weekend to help one of our last set of friends from Hawaii childhoods moving to Northern NV. Will have to meet up on the next trip. 👍

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
ECC12CF0-3158-44CA-9E28-ACBE85BF727F.jpeg

Unfortunately that’s a wrap..to the WA peeps i didn’t get to see, I’ll catch you in march when we come back. Special thanks to Shawn (I can’t think of his screen name atm) for your help with receiving UPS for me!

If anyone in az wants to do some rides lmk…I’m open to weekend trips

Track Man

Reaction score
This was my view all day yesterday. We got hit with a great storm 3 to 4 feet of powder and more on the way. Sure hope all the storms were getting fills up the lakes in Northern California. we’re off to a great year so far.
061F30F3-BC2A-4F9B-B382-AD1C756E7839.jpeg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
View attachment 1185659
Unfortunately that’s a wrap..to the WA peeps i didn’t get to see, I’ll catch you in march when we come back. Special thanks to Shawn (I can’t think of his screen name atm) for your help with receiving UPS for me!

If anyone in az wants to do some rides lmk…I’m open to weekend trips
That's a slick setup. Is the deck hydraulic?

4Waters

Reaction score
It went good. The bicep tore right at the connection point. They say that is good since they could anchor it with the whole tendon. Now it's just time.
Awesome, glad to hear it

poncho

Reaction score
Sold my last one 6 years ago - did 1,100 miles/year, in 5 days for 13 years, never got kicked off or hit, figured it was time.
My last ride landed on my lid after fucking up a jump and corkscrewed it, miss riding them though.

poncho

Reaction score
I might be a bit interested now seeing as we just bought a house where it snows. 😉
View attachment 1183271
You guys moved to snowmobile country, incredible trail system up there. Most everyone I know goes up there to ride, Mass sucks because the liberals get every thing closed to any kind of off road but not the "Live Free or Die" state.

With over 7,000 miles of snowmobile trails in NH, winter is the best time to enjoy an outdoor adventure. Groomed trails link key destinations and services in New Hampshire. Enjoy a multi-day snowmobile trip across the entire state. Ride locally from your home or enjoy a vacation.

sml

Reaction score
The northeast states definitely have trail systems/grooming dialed in. Since i moved away from northern AZ and “free riding”, that is where all my riding is now. Fortunately we can ride from our place. I’m used to riding and not seeing anything or anyone else all day but here it is destination riding from town to town/gas station to gas station//bar to bar which by April i’m over it and ready for boating season!

poncho

Reaction score
The northeast states definitely have trail systems/grooming dialed in. Since i moved away from northern AZ and “free riding”, that is where all my riding is now. Fortunately we can ride from our place. I’m used to riding and not seeing anything or anyone else all day but here it is destination riding from town to town/gas station to gas station//bar to bar which by April i’m over it and ready for boating season.
For my Wife the town to town riding was perfect, with the boys stay up in the hills.

Reactions: sml

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
That's a slick setup. Is the deck hydraulic?
That would be nice 🤣🤣, but It uses an extending aluminum ramp..I’ll post some detailed pics when I get back to AZ this weekend. This deck extends out to the sides to hold two sleds.

C83C5FA9-D97E-4971-8984-F10F73AF0ACE.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Well, that's definitely a lot more simple... lol I wonder how often those sleds go into the back window
Most decks have an integrated headache rack and you would have to hit it very hard but it's possible. I pretty much roll 2-3sled lengths at low throttle, get my skis onto the deck, then stop, lightly bump the throttle while lightly holding the brake and I just kind-of inch it forward till my ski's are against it. I'm still learning how to the use the deck honestly and its a lot of trial and error/practice...which I'm doing lol. More likely though is people who make textbook mistakes (goosing the throttle, not holding their brake etc while loading....or those who look backwards and turn inadvertently when backing off and roll the sled off. Foot placement etc makes a big difference too.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Most decks have an integrated headache rack and you would have to hit it very hard but it's possible. I pretty much roll 2-3sled lengths at low throttle, get my skis onto the deck, then stop, lightly bump the throttle while lightly holding the brake and I just kind-of inch it forward till my ski's are against it. I'm still learning how to the use the deck honestly and its a lot of trial and error/practice...which I'm doing lol. More likely though is people who make textbook mistakes (goosing the throttle, not holding their brake etc while loading....or those who look backwards and turn inadvertently when backing off and roll the sled off. Foot placement etc makes a big difference too.

Lol that’s what I was imagining

stingray11

Reaction score
Hell yeah!! Other than family and friends that I do not see as much as I would like. I miss riding sleds. @JD D05 I am spending a lot of the winter in your neck of the woods. Renting a place for 3 months to ride my snowboard but hope to catch up with on day you are riding.

So my snowmobiling flat lined after I moved to CA when I was 18. My father @nanu and his friends sold all of the snowmobiles. Over the years my brother has had a few but does not ride so when I am home I unfortunately do not get to ride anymore.

Growing up on a large lake in northern country that froze over the men snowmobiled. That was the recreation other than ice fishing which I had zero interest in. My dad, his neighbor and best friend and a whole group of guys would go out Friday after work and bar hop on their snowmobiles, race etc. There where like 10 places on the lake that catered to sleds. Sundays where family day. Head out at 9 / 10am and ride to different places for lunch. Smokey bar rooms to get wings and get warm. Shoot pool with the other kids tagging along with their family. The men would stay in a little longer and have a few rounds and all the kids would get bored and head out and race each other in front of the bar. Had to be in sight of the parents if something happened. Mom and Dad would come out and head to the next place. Home before dark and ready for work and school in the morning. Wash, rinse, repeat all winter until the snow and ice melted away.

My dad would get a new sled every year. Better suspension, technology, speed. Basically like boating - bar racing. He gave me my first snowmobile, a 1978 Yamaha 440. It was lite and fast for the time. This had to be 1985 so it was still pretty new. I have a younger sister and brother so Dad took sister and mom had my little brother. That left me and the only way we were all going out was to put me on my own. Guys at this point I may have been 50 pounds at most 6 or 7 YO. My dad had to pull start it (no electric start yet) because I was not big enough. I was barely strong enough to steer it, basically it was tracking in their tracks (I followed third behind my mom). When I did I would use two hands on one side of the handle bars to change course. I loved riding.

A year or two down the road I wanted to ride after school. The days are cold and short and honestly not much to do. I wanted to be outside so I asked my dad if he would let me. His reply was " first and foremost you have to be able to cold start it yourself and do not get stuck or hurt away from home". He did not get home from work until 7 most days. The last thing I wanted to do was have to walk home and then have my mom call him to bail my ass out. That first time I fired the sled myself I will never forget. Two hands on the handle - foot braced on the running board and gave it everything. Two stroke air cooled was popping and in mind you could hear it for miles. I was on my own. I rode that thing until my right thumb was frost bitten. Being on a lake you could pin it in any direction like boating but it is different. I would take that thing all over, we would pull each other with a ski rope and an orange actual plastic sled strapped across our knees (before there was knee boarding). Best times. I lived and it was better than sitting inside playing Atari.

Over the years the snowmobiles got faster and nicer. Electric start (fuck that pull start forever...) it was a feature for the women and children. Heated hand and thumb grips, any guy that say they don't need it is just plain lying to you. They have that turned up on high. Like everything they have gotten prohibitively expensive. The ones @JD D05 have posted I barely recognize. They are straight hill rockets.

A couple of images pulled from internet. View attachment 1183435 View attachment 1183436

I use to own one of them, it was fast with no suspension.

hman442

Reaction score
Those were the days. I bought one of these brand new in 1981, after getting tired of my '77 Rupp Nitro burning down whenever it felt like it.
81eltigre_5.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

Exactly - fast and light. Running on a frozen lake you did not need as much suspension as on trails.

Those were the days. I bought one of these brand new in 1981, after getting tired of my '77 Rupp Nitro burning down whenever it felt like it. View attachment 1186242

Classic - we had one of those Cats too. Great memories.

RCDave

Reaction score
What do the snowmobile experts think about Yamahas?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
What do the snowmobile experts think about Yamahas?

Let the bashing begin!!! LOL The long and short of the Yami is that unless you are strictly a trail or lake rider, or you have a HP addiction, they aren't the sled for you..

I am a Yami fan boi, but I am also a HP addict. I still have my turbo/propane Nytro that if I want to go up hill fast, I will ride it for the day. I will say, after a day of riding it, I damn near have to take the next day off. As the 2S turbos have closed the gap on HP per pound, I find myself riding it less and less, but there is NO replacement for how hard a big turbo 4S pulls!

1672936664667.jpeg

I tried the CAT thing for a while as well but wasn't really my thing. Ran good just didn't pull as hard as the Nytro.

1672936823746.jpeg