WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

COST of EVERYTHING is going thru the ROOF

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Regardless of your station in life whether you own a Yacht or a canoe , The looming overarching question is Are you better off today than your were 4 years ago ? 🤷‍♂️
Whenever I hear that, I hear it in Obama's voice...🤬 He said that running for reelection, and I most assuredly, was not better after his first 4.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Regardless of your station in life whether you own a Yacht or a canoe , The looming overarching question is Are you better off today than your were 4 years ago ? 🤷‍♂️
Yes

My second house is paid off. my cancer is in remission. my money has been earning 5% with no risk. grandchild number five is on the way.

The turtle wins every time.

Maybe he never has a DCB but I can live with that.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
YES……. Absolutely. No question about it. My stock portfolio has quadrupled. I sold my previous boat for 40k more than I paid for it. I sold my Arizona Investment properties for prices I never imagined. My home doubled in value. Our household income has increased greatly. Gas prices have lowered. Banks are literally throwing money at me. I really don’t care if I work or not. I no longer have to wear a face diaper in public. And…….I am married to a very skilled attorney. Life is real good.

I apologize for not being doom n gloom. I’ll try to change ………. I am going to go beat my dog now. lol

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
YES……. Absolutely. No question about it. My stock portfolio has quadrupled. I sold my previous boat for 40k more than I paid for it. I sold my Arizona Investment properties for prices I never imagined. My home doubled in value. Our household income has increased greatly. Gas prices have lowered. Banks are literally throwing money at me. I really don’t care if I work or not. I no longer have to wear a face diaper in public. And…….I am married to a very skilled attorney. Life is real good.

I apologize for not being doom n gloom. I’ll try to change ………. I am going to go beat my dog now. lol

As always, D's only care about themselves...................... 🤣

"Gas prices have lowered"

"I no longer wear a face diaper"

Biden did that?!!! 😆

EmpirE231

Reaction score

While you are doing well, and most of us here are happy to see you doing so…. You can’t really think most of the country is in the same boat. Most people do not have a 401k let alone investment properties and boats.

I think that is what this discussion is about. My $32 michelada is not something I have to worry about, and neither do we about the increased costs in gas or grocery bills… but I am aware that most people are not in the same boat. So I can’t just turn a blind eye to what’s really going out there, just because we’re doing fine.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Some of you have never been poor and it shows.

You don't eat fast food three times a day when you're poor, you don't go to sporting events, you don't go to the river. You might get lucky and go out to eat at McDonalds and get a small fry and a cheeseburger. You don't get coffee at Starbucks, you don't drink super big gulps.

When you're poor you stay home and fuck.

BNAG!!!

But I NEED a new F350 and a DCB to keep up with all the cool kids on RDP!

If I can make the payment, it's good yeah???

________

RETAIL prices are through the roof, but you also have to use the brain god gave you, yes?

Yesterday...

I went to the Costco outlet store and picked up this UPS for 99 bucks.

Like @Tank said, stop paying the crazy azz prices, and the will come down!!!

Screenshot_20240918_123631_Google.jpg

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I'm much better than I was four years ago. Better than eight years ago. Better than 12 years ago. And guess what, better than 16 years ago when I first started my business at 25. I'm consistently better each year, relying on myself, my decisions, and my moves. And not relying on my government to help me. It's a pretty simple concept.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
While you are doing well, and most of us here are happy to see you doing so…. You can’t really think most of the country is in the same boat. Most people do not have a 401k let alone investment properties and boats.

I think that is what this discussion is about. My $32 michelada is not something I have to worry about, and neither do we about the increased costs in gas or grocery bills… but I am aware that most people are not in the same boat. So I can’t just turn a blind eye to what’s really going out there, just because we’re doing just fine.
It was a baited question designed to reinforce a narrative. I just thought I would counter it, since I like to shine a positive light on things.

Now I am off to get a $21 Bacon Cheeseburger backed up with a couple of $7 Coors Lights. Ouch (does this sound more in line with the thread? I am trying to adjust to the reader)

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
@C-Ya , I pondered your last post...well, the one ending with beating your dog (which I hope is a euphemism).

Interesting really. My "net worth", as it were, is actually substantially higher now than it was 4, 8 and even 12 years back. I make substantially less, and things cost more...but this math is a bit tricky. I have no debt, and I own my property. My property was bought at a good time, and cheaply, but has gone up at a stupid rate. That said, I have gained an enormous amount when coupled with not carrying debt.

Holy shit! RD's right, I'm a 5%'r 🤣

(We'll just leave aside the threat of taxes on unrealized gains...f'k that;))

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I'm much better than I was four years ago. Better than eight years ago. Better than 12 years ago. And guess what, better than 16 years ago when I first started my business at 25. I'm consistently better each year, relying on myself, my decisions, and my moves. And not relying on my government to help me. It's a pretty simple concept.

Same here. I have increased my income 2.5 to 4% every year since I started working at 15 years old. 25 years with one company made it somewhat simple. When a small merit increase wasn’t enough for me I dusted off my contractors license and got busy with my side hustle.

24 years under republican presidents and 20 under dems… didn’t make a difference

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Same here. I have increased my income 2.5 to 4% every year since I started working at 15 years old. 25 years with one company made it somewhat simple. When a small merit increase wasn’t enough for me I dusted off my contractors license and got busy with my side hustle.

24 years under republican presidents and 20 under dems… didn’t make a difference

I think what some are grossly overlooking is the income might have gone up but the inflation has gone crazy and it’s nothing like the stats they are putting out.

I’d wager prices have gone up like 250-400% in the last three years across most goods.. gas is finally coming down but even with that it’s up from
A 1.89 to 3.00 currently?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I think what some are grossly overlooking is the income might have gone up but the inflation has gone crazy and it’s nothing like the stats they are putting out.

I’d wager prices have gone up like 250-400% in the last three years across most goods.. gas is finally coming down but even with that it’s up from

I have had to make lots of adjustments at different times in my life due to economic ups and downs. I wake up everyday felling blessed and lucky to be alive. That’s what’s great about America. I don’t give that much credit to any president when it comes to the economy. Can I still remain a lifelong registered republican?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
@C-Ya , I pondered your last post...well, the one ending with beating your dog (which I hope is a euphemism).

Interesting really. My "net worth", as it were, is actually substantially higher now than it was 4, 8 and even 12 years back. I make substantially less, and things cost more...but this math is a bit tricky. I have no debt, and I own my property. My property was bought at a good time, and cheaply, but has gone up at a stupid rate. That said, I have gained an enormous amount when coupled with not carrying debt.

Holy shit! RD's right, I'm a 5%'r 🤣

(We'll just leave aside the threat of taxes on unrealized gains...f'k that;))
You will be happy to know that I have no pets. I was just being funny.

Now I am off to bbq my neighbors cat………

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
How many members from these boards, that you did not know, have you taken boating? Mic drop

I know yore kind and like to keep things positive, that's not in question. Taking people boating has absolutely NOTHING to do with the question at hand.

We're discussing the cost of goods, the economy in general and most importantly, the impact it's taking on the people of our nation.

You keep trying to justify yore side's handling of it by reiterating how great things are for YOU and that tells us NOTHING..........except you fit the stereotypical mold of a white elite liberal. 🤣

The nation is not in a good place and all the fairies and unicorns you want to muster out of that ass of yore's, will not change it.

1726695751366.jpeg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Yes @regor , things aren't all coming up roses. We can't always keep down in the dumps though, that's how the human mind fractures. Keeping some levity can keep the monotony of impending doom from doing that. We can't pull the Rockhound thing and "embrace the horror" just yet.
6xraat-38388666.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Biden is president of both Hawaii and California. I don't buy that. Hawaii has always had the highest in the nation due to their lack of proximity to the mainland. But now, CA is higher. That isn't because of the president.
Been this way for a bit of time. But stop expressing it Angie!! Hawaii will now raise the price in Hawaii. 😬 😬 😬 $120 yesterday to fill up the truck

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Yes @regor , things aren't all coming up roses. We can't always keep down in the dumps though, that's how the human mind fractures. Keeping some levity can keep the monotony of impending doom from doing that. We can't pull the Rockhound thing and "embrace the horror" just yet.
View attachment 1430265

I get all that monkey, but the Unicorns and Rainbow BS is an insult to people who are struggling, many of whom are on this site.

If C-Ya wants to state the obvious and say it's rough out there, BUT I'm fortunate to be doing well, due to my previous actions and investments, then so be it, but trying to sell his bag of BS without acknowledging the truth..................is hilarious.

You know me, I have fun and like to laugh at the madness, but point out the obvious.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
View attachment 1430265
The voices in my head, tell me to go home and clean… in my best Gilda Radner voice “never mind”🤣

702sandman

Reaction score
Those in the construction field, has home building costs come down ? When I built my current custom home in 19-20 i remember I was shocked at how much prices had went up from my last one I built in 11-12 time frame. I think it was roughly 150K more. So I’m curious how have prices done since 19-20 compared to know…I do remember I just missed a HUGE lumber increase that would have caused me another $40K plus.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Those in the construction field, has home building costs come down ? When I built my current custom home in 19-20 i remember I was shocked at how much prices had went up from my last one I built in 11-12 time frame. I think it was roughly 150K more. So I’m curious how have prices done since 19-20 compared to know…I do remember I just missed a HUGE lumber increase that would have caused me another $40K plus.

Lumber is down to pre covid prices. But a lot of stuff isn't.

The vinyl floor I use a lot is $2.19 it peaked at $3.79 but was $1.79 pre covid.

I am on the final stages of a 800 sq ft ADU raised foundation build. $240K just the building no hardscape or driveway. No permit fees. He had bids in the 3-400k range. Gave him a break as he has done my HVAC for 25+ years.

Doing a 600 sq ft addition around $200K not including permits or fees.

Bathrooms I used to bid at 18k pre covid are 32k. And I have customers getting bids in the 50k range that don't want to wait.

Roofs are crazy priced 11-1500 a sq for composition.

Your ad here

Reaction score
On housing I am because I established "rent control". My 401K is doing well but that's because I have one and was educated on it. However 4 years ago a 3/4 full shopping cart of groceries was $100. Now a 1/3 full cart of groceries is $100. A breakfast meal at McDonalds was like $5. Now it's $8-$9. Huevos Rancheros plate could be bought for $1.99 with coupon. Now it's a $8.99 plate and no coupons exist anymore. I was able to fill my truck up for $55. Now it's $80+. Fortunately I'm making more than I was 4 years ago but if I wasn't and was making the same, every dollar earned now won't buy me the same quantity as it did 4 years ago and I'm talking needs that you can't "rent control". Going broke safely sucks.

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
All I know is I bought a quart of PVC glue today and it was $37.00 😳WTF…..and that was the best price I could find on the interweb.
Everything is definitely more expensive and the packaging is smaller. Years ago when they started bending us over the price stayed the same but the package shrank. Now that they are going in dry not only is the packing smaller the prices are near double or more.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

People don’t know how to manage money longer than a day.
They certainly don’t know or understand the concepts, to be rich, and life time inflation.
You have to have money in the bank, and an income larger than your monthly bills to be anything other than an idiot (and there are a lot out there).

Government has a per diem we use to base the cost of a day on the road. For Phoenix it’s $59 a day for meals, and $159 for lodging.

That’s $6500 a month to live a decent life, without transportation in Phoenix.

There is also a transportation schedule, to help plan those expenses.

Anything left out of that goes into savings/investments/entertainment.

You can budget tighter, and save more, increasing your monthly income.

By the time you hit 65-70 y/o, you should have 10 times your monthly expenses in retirement savings to have a successful retirement, and should cover most expenses, including medical/Dental.

Of coarse you need to be healthy to enjoy it. 😮😁👍

NicPaus

Reaction score
All I know is I bought a quart of PVC glue today and it was $37.00 😳WTF…..and that was the best price I could find on the interweb.
Everything is definitely more expensive and the packaging is smaller. Years ago when they started bending us over the price stayed the same but the package shrank. Now that they are going in dry not only is the packing smaller the prices are near double or more.
Huge mark up on it. It's $27 at the supply house. Bought it through my Pro account on a price submit order and it goes down to $16. I bought a small bottle earlier its $8 and change.

I bought 18 can lights, some romex and a few other things in the morning. $1124. Shorty 6" cans are $27 and regular are $15.

Went back and got a toilet and a few other things $370.

End of the day. Went to floor and decor and got some off color subway tile for a backsplash $810.

Last stop after dinner I needed 6 miscellaneous things a occupancy sensor light switch and humidistat fart fan switch $186.

That's a average day for jobs so big orders.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
BNAG!!!

But I NEED a new F350 and a DCB to keep up with all the cool kids on RDP!

If I can make the payment, it's good yeah???

________

RETAIL prices are through the roof, but you also have to use the brain god gave you, yes?

Yesterday...

I went to the Costco outlet store and picked up this UPS for 99 bucks.

Like @Tank said, stop paying the crazy azz prices, and the will come down!!!

View attachment 1430210
The path to the New F350 and DCB is through your construction business and creative accounting.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
$28.00 ea for 8" steel fence post @ home depot
Needed a short piece of 1"pvc shoot over to ace it's close and $14.00 for 4'

Tell me it's good?

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Some of the responses in this thread remind me of Biden when he was talking about inflation he said something to the effect that yes prices are too high but people can afford it. Just because you can afford to pay exorbitant prices doesn't make it ok. I can afford to pay $5 for diesel but why should I have to? Because my asshat Gov. thinks he's saving the planet? But then blames the oil companies for "price gouging". This is the mindset that pisses me off because for every one that can there are 100 that are having to decide whether to put that $50 in their tank or if they should spend it elsewhere. There are hard decisions having to be made in order to strike a balance between food and fuel and shelter. And why? The boogie man that is "climate change". These fucks who cause this don't even drive and they get rich off the system/government and we all pay for it.

DWRAT

Reaction score
Does anyone actually know C-ya?
I am just wondering if he really is the big baller he says he is.
I offered to get him the phone number for the home he says he wants to buy but he never responded.
I have no idea, that's why I am asking.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
If you are in your 20s or 30s remember these dissucussions. I guarantee 20 years from now prices will be even higher regardless of politics. What you do now will determine your financial future.

On the plus side a bunch of us gen Xers will be dead, so we won’t be around to say I told you so…

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Not sure why this has turned into a pile on C-ya thread. He is a real person. RiverDave and others know him personally, from what I've picked up on here over the years.

Not sure I see the fault with C-ya. People like him are well off enough to keep spending while everyone else pulls up the reins. So he doesn't out right say he recognizes the struggles going on in the economy. I'm sure he does, but rather than dwell on it, he keeps a positive attitude and open wallet to buy overpriced burgers and beer, which in turn helps keep the working class employed.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone actually know C-ya?
I am just wondering if he really is the big baller he says he is.
I offered to get him the phone number for the home he says he wants to buy but he never responded.
I have no idea, that's why I am asking.
I ignored you based on some of your posts. The above post reinforces my decision. I have no desire to interact with you on any personal level. Sorry for the negativity.

boatnam2

Reaction score
You will be happy to know that I have no pets. I was just being funny.

Now I am off to bbq my neighbors cat………
We'll let me enlighten you, bag of food at Costco $70 bucks(maybe 2 weeks worth), groom 2 doodles $220 with tip(every 6 weeks), going to Hawaii, dog sitter for 7 days $1400, vet teeth cleaning $800 bucks, got insurance so that don't hurt to bad, dog insurance about $900 a year X2.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I buy dog food at Costco. It's cheaper than the pet store but not really. Went the other night for just dog food. $269 later. My other 2 dogs eat sams club dog food. So left Costco and hit Sam's. $300. So 2 bags cost me $569. But it's like 30$ less per bag than petsmart.