A day in the life of an HVAC technician

dezertrider

Reaction score
I found a good tile guy, even drives a navigator

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440537490.155019.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440537502.289082.jpg

westair

Reaction score
Can someone give me a budget number on the going rate per unit on preventive maintenance of rooftop package units, mainly 5ton and under .... 4x per year.... replace filters, belts as needed, clean coils (once a year), overall check. We mainly do commercial installs and service pretty much only what we install, now we are being heavily persuaded to include preventive maintenance agreements as part of our bid packages.
Not something I really wanted to get into but here I am ..... anything to be made because everything we will be maintaining will be fairly new.

jet496

Reaction score
Can someone give me a budget number on the going rate per unit on preventive maintenance of rooftop package units, mainly 5ton and under .... 4x per year.... replace filters, belts as needed, clean coils (once a year), overall check. We mainly do commercial installs and service pretty much only what we install, now we are being heavily persuaded to include preventive maintenance agreements as part of our bid packages.
Not something I really wanted to get into but here I am ..... anything to be made because everything we will be maintaining will be fairly new.

$30 to $40 per unit every quarter is fair price if your doing multiple units. Higher if it's just one or two units. Unfortunately one unit would be a short load charge of 1 hour plus filters & belts (I include belts in all PM, but most people don't) & annual coil washing.

HotRod82

Reaction score

When I sold my HVAC biz three years ago, for basic rooftop applications I would bid 15 minutes per unit at my normal street rate of $125/ hr plus the cost of the filters. (per quarter) Don't get sucked into the trap of giving away maintenance, it took me a long time to get my 250 plus maintenance agreements above water after I sold most of them too cheap while trying to build a client base.

westair

Reaction score
$30 to $40 per unit every quarter is fair price if your doing multiple units. Higher if it's just one or two units. Unfortunately one unit would be a short load charge of 1 hour plus filters & belts (I include belts in all PM, but most people don't) & annual coil washing.

When I sold my HVAC biz three years ago, for basic rooftop applications I would bid 15 minutes per unit at my normal street rate of $125/ hr plus the cost of the filters. (per quarter) Don't get sucked into the trap of giving away maintenance, it took me a long time to get my 250 plus maintenance agreements above water after I sold most of them too cheap while trying to build a client base.

Thanks! ....that's just what I was looking for:thumbup:

Joker

Reaction score
Speaking of A/C, what is a way to shut off vents in certain parts of the house to push the air elsewhere? Even with the vents closed, the amount of air getting through is enough to cool a room. We tried those magnetic deals but the air pushes them right off.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of A/C, what is a way to shut off vents in certain parts of the house to push the air elsewhere? Even with the vents closed, the amount of air getting through is enough to cool a room. We tried those magnetic deals but the air pushes them right off.

Don't.......

Most residential air is already short on Aairflow so closing Vents doesn't push air elsewhere it actually just cause the system to run less efficiently and will result in bigger problems down the road shortening system life.

For those people that do close vents down to "push" air to other areas please write my number down as you
will be a consistent source of revenue for my company. [emoji6]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Don't.......

Most residential air is already short on Aairflow so closing Vents doesn't push air elsewhere it actually just cause the system to run less efficiently and will result in bigger problems down the road shortening system life.

For those people that do close vents down to "push" air to other areas please write my number down as you
I always love the look on people's faces when I tell them that same thing.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

When doing 10 or more 5-ton and below we are about $55 to $60 per unit per quarter. If doing two or three about $65 to $70 each. That is change filters check belts for tension and wear and coil cleaning at least once a year. BE careful some of the new units have started using more filters of a smaller size. New 7.5-ton Carrier uses four 16x16 at $6 each used to be one 20x25 that was about $4.

Joker

Reaction score
Don't.......

So is there a decent way to get the air to the back of the house as the unit is 3/4 of the way to the front?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
So is there a decent way to get the air to the back of the house as the unit is 3/4 of the way to the front?

If you're having problems getting Air to certain rooms of the house the problem actually is in the duct design. Most likely some modifications to the ducting system will be needed in order to get proper air flow to all rooms.

dezertrider

Reaction score
Well, At least this copper thief knew the condenser was made out of aluminum and saved it for us. Normally they take those also

9cceb599-50b2-434f-85e1-ff451cf9e2e0.jpg
d6c46839-adb5-406a-b819-b190a6f03468.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440781025.505098.jpg

Inspector called for a leak down test. Caught the note in the prints.

Pop quiz. How do you seal exposed duct and make it look aesthetically pleasing?

How would you seal the duct?

TCHB

Reaction score
Don't.......

How about closing the door to the room that you do not use??

X Hoser

Reaction score
View attachment 430252

I don't get it? It's not like leaked air will be escaping into unconditioned areas? I'm sure someone with a better understanding will shed some light on it. Any way to seal from the inside?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You don't need to seal exposed duct...your inspector is an idiot!

View attachment 430252

I didn't think you had to either. But I've been away from commercial HVAC for a while now. If you HAVE to seal it, I'd suggest some foil backed tape. I like the butyl (sp?) Tape myself as it seals really nicely. But it's pretty expensive.

HotRod82

Reaction score
If the exposed duct does not serve any other areas, you can call the inspector's supervisor and explain the situation, he will sign off on it.

dezertrider

Reaction score
Lynch is correct. There are to many title 24 rules for these inspectors to remember

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Some engineers/owners would like the exposed duct sealed because they don't like to see the blow by that will accumulate over time. If that is the case we buy DP1010 in tubes and run a nice thick bead on the inside of the raw end of the duct and when you place the crimped end in and screw it off you have a seal that isn't aesthetically offensive.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
View attachment 430252

All the room they have in this space and the duct guy still has to run their ducts next to the fire sprinklers. :bash: :p

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
All the room they have in this space and the duct guy still has to run their ducts next to the fire sprinklers. :bash: [emoji14]
It's a HELLUVA lot cheaper and easier for FLS to run their main off to the side and run longer branches than it is to offset 36x20 duct mains for a 2" pipe. Can't tell you how many times I got into it with a GC and/or a FLS foreman cause they want to run their main right in the middle of a hallway that's 4' wide and we had a 30" supply main running through that hallway.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
It's a HELLUVA lot cheaper and easier for FLS to run their main off to the side and run longer branches than it is to offset 36x20 duct mains for a 2" pipe. Can't tell you how many times I got into it with a GC and/or a FLS foreman cause they want to run their main right in the middle of a hallway that's 4' wide and we had a 30" supply main running through that hallway.

If you look at the picture the sprinkler pipes are painted white. I'm sure the pipes have been there for a while. The dumbass HVAC detailer probably didn't bother to come to the job site and survey the existing conditions. ;) :D Happens all the time. We just get paid to move our pipes as you can tell in the picture with the new black pipes. :thumbup:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you look at the picture the sprinkler pipes are painted white. I'm sure the pipes have been there for a while. The dumbass HVAC detailer probably didn't bother to come to the job site and survey the existing conditions. ;) :D Happens all the time. We just get paid to move our pipes as you can tell in the picture with the new black pipes. [emoji106]
These are exposed duct usually it means the ARCHITECT & engineer decide where the duct runs for aesthetic reasons.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If you look at the picture the sprinkler pipes are painted white. I'm sure the pipes have been there for a while. The dumbass HVAC detailer probably didn't bother to come to the job site and survey the existing conditions. ;) :D Happens all the time. We just get paid to move our pipes as you can tell in the picture with the new black pipes. :thumbup:

And the cock-off begins....lol

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
These are exposed duct usually it means the ARCHITECT & engineer decide where the duct runs for aesthetic reasons.

Thats right I forgot you guys don't do your own drawings. Hang it where ever they say without regard to the other trades. :rolleyes :p

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thats right I forgot you guys don't do your own drawings. Hang it where ever they say without regard to the other trades. :rolleyes [emoji14]
If you only knew. Your the type of foreman that even after the GC, architect and all would tell you to run your main elsewhere you'd still run it down the middle and I'd be happy to come in with my Sawzall and drop it. Done it before.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Thats right I forgot you guys don't do your own drawings. Hang it where ever they say without regard to the other trades. :rolleyes :p

That's because we are better than all the other trades. We get paid the most and work the least. Everyone else has to work around us. [emoji383][emoji383][emoji38][emoji38][emoji106][emoji106]

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Most of the time the FS is design build...all other trades are drawn, coordinated, submitted and approved before the building goes up or the space is built out. FS typically doesn't look at any other drawings and just draws theirs as if its a big open space with no one else in there. Then they get pissed because they pre fab all there pipe and send it out as an erector set and get upset when it doesn't fit...I know heads have to go in certain locations but you would think after a time of two knowing there are other trades they would do an overlay and coordinate with the other trades...just my .02...we rarely have issues because we try and be in before FS.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
If you only knew. Your the type of foreman that even after the GC, architect and all would tell you to run your main elsewhere you'd still run it down the middle and I'd be happy to come in with my Sawzall and drop it. Done it before.

Actually I'm a estimator not a foreman any longer. Using a sawzall. I can tell by this statement what kind of worker you are. :thumbsdown Most jobs that we do you would be kicked off first and if it happened again with someone else your company would be gone. GC's don't put up with that type of work. :rolleyes

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Most of the time the FS is design build...all other trades are drawn, coordinated, submitted and approved before the building goes up or the space is built out. FS typically doesn't look at any other drawings and just draws theirs as if its a big open space with no one else in there. Then they get pissed because they pre fab all there pipe and send it out as an erector set and get upset when it doesn't fit...I know heads have to go in certain locations but you would think after a time of two knowing there are other trades they would do an overlay and coordinate with the other trades...just my .02...we rarely have issues because we try and be in before FS.

This is only half true. On the bigger jobs we do we use B.I.M. and have many conference calls with all the trades. I have been a PM on many jobs where we have to lay over our plans and all trades have to agree and sign the plans BEFORE we can fab. Now a T.I. we cut all the pipes in the field. As far as not looking at your drawings is BS. I look at drawings all a day about 50% of the time there is no MEP drawings.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Actually I'm a estimator not a foreman any longer. Using a sawzall. I can tell by this statement what kind of worker you are. :thumbsdown Most jobs that we do you would be kicked off first and if it happened again with someone else your company would be gone. GC's don't put up with that type of work. :rolleyes
When the GC gave me the OK to do it, the only person that was kicked off was the sprinkler Foreman.

I spent a lot of time in pre-coordination meetings with all the trades and AL and the only trade that would hardly ever cooperate were the sprinkler guys. Just cause you're in charge of installing the squirt guns don't mean you can't adjust your pipe and accommodate other trades for the benefit of all.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
That's because we are better than all the other trades. We get paid the most and work the least. Everyone else has to work around us. [emoji383][emoji383][emoji38][emoji38][emoji106][emoji106]

Would you like to compare my foremans hourly rate with benefits to your foremans. :)

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
This is only half true. On the bigger jobs we do we use B.I.M. and have many conference calls with all the trades. I have been a PM on many jobs where we have to lay over our plans and all trades have to agree and sign the plans BEFORE we can fab. Now a T.I. we cut all the pipes in the field. As far as not looking at your drawings is BS. I look at drawings all a day about 50% of the time there is no MEP drawings.

You must do residential because a building is not built without MEP drawings...at least no project I work on unless its design build, if that's the care then all of the drawings are done and permitted before work starts...like I said I don't have problems with other trades because of either prior coordination or we make sure we get in first.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
When the GC gave me the OK to do it, the only person that was kicked off was the sprinkler Foreman.

I spent a lot of time in pre-coordination meetings with all the trades and AL and the only trade that would hardly ever cooperate were the sprinkler guys. Just cause you're in charge of installing the squirt guns don't mean you can't adjust your pipe and accommodate other trades for the benefit of all.

Thats because we have the fire department is on our side. :p We get along with all the trades down here in SoCal. Seems like the AC guys are dicks up north. Oh to be back in the field and have to deal with guys like you.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thats because we have the fire department is on our side. [emoji14] We get along with all the trades down here in SoCal. Seems like the AC guys are dicks up north. Oh to be back in the field and have to deal with guys like you.
This was in LA. As long as your heads are in the right place, you have the correct slope of runs and operation of the system, your pipes can go wherever. Just like the Sparky's conduits. Do some design work where you actually HAVE to read other plans and coordinate and all, then you'll have an idea of what actually goes on in the design stage.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You must do residential because a building is not built without MEP drawings...at least no project I work on unless its design build, if that's the care then all of the drawings are done and permitted before work starts...like I said I don't have problems with other trades because of either prior coordination or we make sure we get in first.

No we don't do residential. I said the majority of the jobs "I" bid don't have MEP drawings. We have 5 different estimators at my company. Some only estimate new construction that does have complete drawings. One only does inspection and repairs. I mostly do T.I.'s, expansions, retro-fits, movie studios and special systems. We are on the list for fire sprinklers in a bunch of high rises in downtown and Century City. Hope this explains what I meant about the drawings.