WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

rrrr

Reaction score
There really is no “best”. The installation is far more important than the sticker in the box. For the most part everyone is using similar components and packaging them up differently. There are different levels of equipment Low end to high end, but it’s not really determined by brand.

Just look at this picture. The installer forgot to put the brand sticker of what the customer was sold.
View attachment 655296

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeezus, that photo is one big fail.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Made this on the fly yesterday.
19.5 in offset

You made that in the field out of straight duct?

Well done, hard to do without looking like hammered dog shit.

I really miss my days knocking tin.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Jeezus, that photo is one big fail.

That’s just one photo of the install. This customer went with this contractor over us over $500. We were $3k into fixing it after the installing contractor stopped returning their calls.

dezertrider

Reaction score
Had a job walk today. The building next door was growing weed. The installations were epic

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
The tape piping/conduit enclosures and shipping pallet roof curbs are outstanding, as are the exhaust elbows.

Looks like the rolled on white paint was stolen from the LA street coating crews that are saving the planet. :D

Last edited:

Dalton

Reaction score
that mini split brand, "Chigo" is very popular in Afghanistan haven't seen it in the states much tho

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Izzit just me or do quite a few techs throw another capacitor at a problem instead of actually fixing it?

The other capacitor is a hard start kit. But yes the majority of “techs” aren’t really techs and are parts changers instead, who just throw parts at a problem till they get lucky and change the right part.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
is it legal to mount the disconnect on the unit?
Yes it is. In 95% of cases in a commercial application it is mounted directly to the RTU and the unit is designed for it to be there.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The other capacitor is a hard start kit. But yes the majority of “techs” aren’t really techs and are parts changers instead, who just throw parts at a problem till they get lucky and change the right part.

If you need a hard start kit, you have a problem with the unit or your electoral supplied too it. Either way you need too fix it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If you need a hard start kit, you have a problem with the unit or your electoral supplied too it. Either way you need too fix it.

Not always. In many cases in high ambient conditions, a hard start is necessary. Also I’m older compressors it helps them start better and last longer. It’s not always reasonable to replace a compressor when a hard start will extend the life of it.

The hard start wasn’t what failed on this unit [emoji6]

PVHCA

Reaction score
Once again D.A.S. did a fine job at our home, Ethan is a nice youngster that assured me his work would match my expectations and he came through. Thanks again Bill and Ethan, check should clear on the 3rd attempt.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Still waiting on my red "Make Air Cold Again" hat when they go through production :)

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Once again D.A.S. did a fine job at our home, Ethan is a nice youngster that assured me his work would match my expectations and he came through. Thanks again Bill and Ethan, check should clear on the 3rd attempt.

Imagine how happy you would be if we sent a good tech out to your place :D:D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just a little reminder evidence for those,inmates that dont,deal with this on the regular, capacitors don't always have physical signs of their failure when they do fail. As you can see, this cap looks fine. Really nothing wrong with it. But when you put a meter on it.... It tells a different tale.
0808180847_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Today we are repairing 2 140 ton chillers that we’re the victim of copper theft.

IMG_0284.jpg

This place is crazy. Hopefully we get some time to explore.

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Today we are repairing 2 140 ton chillers that we’re the victim of copper theft.

View attachment 674243

This place is crazy. Hopefully we get some time to explore.

Our bread and butter..... good ol' McQuay/Daikin AGZ chiller. Great systems. Plate in frame exchanger?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Our bread and butter..... good ol' McQuay/Daikin AGZ chiller. Great systems. Plate in frame exchanger?

This is a York from what I saw. All that other stuff, you got me [emoji23] This is Brian’s wheel house.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
How much copper did they steal? Been a while since I have see that happen. Lots of heroin addicts now, not meth.

dezertrider

Reaction score
How much copper did they steal? Been a while since I have see that happen. Lots of heroin addicts now, not meth.
They god the big stuff off one chiller and just vented the refrigerant of the one we got up and running. They wouild of made more money recovering the refrigerant and turning it in. 500#s lost. One chiller is a total lost and needs to be replaced

dezertrider

Reaction score
They got the big stuff off one chiller and just vented the refrigerant of the one we got up and running. They wouild of made more money recovering the refrigerant and turning it in. 500#s lost. One chiller is a total lost and needs to be replaced

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
They god the big stuff off one chiller and just vented the refrigerant of the one we got up and running. They wouild of made more money recovering the refrigerant and turning it in. 500#s lost. One chiller is a total lost and needs to be replaced
Are you guys replacing it? 500 lbs of 22?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This is a York from what I saw. All that other stuff, you got me [emoji23] This is Brian’s wheel house.

Ahh shit. Now that you say that, the side by side filter driers give it away as a York.
Is that the building that Conagra was in as well?
Without seeing the entire chiller, Im gonna guess its probably only around 40 to 50 lbs a circuit with 2 circuits.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
The old trinity broadcast network building. Off the 405 in Costa Mesa.

Is it a ghost town or still up and running? I forget with all of them who is in jail and who isn't, even in their peak driving by that place was spooky, and yet another great example of people being convinced they can pay money to get to "heaven" and that money then being used on big hair, bad clothes, and a palace fit for Liberace.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
If they could find the tweeker that vented it I’m sure they would have a talk with him. [emoji23][emoji23]

Does it matter which one? Cause they all would have done it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Is it a ghost town or still up and running? I forget with all of them who is in jail and who isn't, even in their peak driving by that place was spooky, and yet another great example of people being convinced they can pay money to get to "heaven" and that money then being used on big hair, bad clothes, and a palace fit for Liberace.

Ghost town. Vacant but there are buyers on the hook.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Ghost town. Vacant but there are buyers on the hook.

That’s gotta be a pretty narrow pool for someone to occupy existing building. I see scraping it off the surface of the earth and putting something else, but am very curious who is coming in :)

dezertrider

Reaction score
Are you guys replacing it? 500 lbs of 22?

We only repaired and recharged one chiller. The other one is KIA. Coils are all rotted also so its not worth fixing

The chiller we repaired they nicked several lines to get rid of the refrigerant. One of the lines was the oil line inbetween compressors. Im sure they guy got an oil bath when he did it. We repaired the cuts, vacuumed and recharged with 200# of R-22. They are luck the price went down from last year. There is a huge be hive and several wasp nests around this thing. We killed all the wasps and left the bees alone. The bees may have saved the chiller from totally being gutted

This one day job made for a great sales day. Bronkzilla felt it

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
We only repaired and recharged one chiller. The other one is KIA. Coils are all rotted also so its not worth fixing

The chiller we repaired they nicked several lines to get rid of the refrigerant. One of the lines was the oil line inbetween compressors. Im sure they guy got an oil bath when he did it. We repaired the cuts, vacuumed and recharged with 200# of R-22. They are luck the price went down from last year. There is a huge be hive and several wasp nests around this thing. We killed all the wasps and left the bees alone. The bees may have saved the chiller from totally being gutted

This one day job made for a great sales day. Bronkzilla felt it
So I assume that she is being dropped off on monday! lol

dezertrider

Reaction score
So I assume that she is being dropped off on monday! lol
I had lunch with Richer and they are making room for her in the shop. This time up front where she easily get out and goto the next stop. The major projects get placed in back where they are not in the way

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This was a fun, damn near alk day maintnance..... This is 4 of the 5 140 ton water cooled McQuay/Daikin screw compressors along with their associated cooling towers and pumps at Firestone Walker brewery.
0914181316.jpeg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk