WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a gas card and a company car. A scale sucks for the over achiever. If you were paid so well you wouldn't be doing side jobs.

Any how you are fucking up a good HVAC thread. Lol

Also untrue [emoji57] I do side work to enjoy my lake house and boat. How is EXTRA money a bad thing. Main job bought that stuff side work let's me take time off and enjoy it [emoji106]

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Who is your GC? I always end a full set of prints to the subs... I don't like extras or change orders. [emoji12]

Pick one. They all do the same for budgets. The new thing in Tenant Improvment jobs is called White Box or Market Ready. Basically they demo all the existing floor, walls, ceilings, MEPs and make the floor look like core and shell again. More and more tenants like the open look these days. So the building owners are showing them this look. Most of the buildings are 20-30 years old and need a upgrade anyway. Lot of new bathrooms, corridors and elevator lobbies.

What GC do you work for Hammer.?

dezertrider

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440797319.881563.jpg
Boom

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thats the plans the land lord or designer gives the GC. The GC is making you do all the work and saving on the MEP costs. I hope you charge him for design

We don't do any designing / engineering unless we get the job. I'm only going to give a sq. ft. price for this budget. Usually if the price is good for all the trades. The land lord will have the Architect proceed with more plans. Sometimes I will get 3-4 new drawings thru-out the bid process. Usually you start put at 20% drawings then 50% then 80%. Once it gets to 100% they are ready to finnalize the pricing. Yes its a pain.

Hammer

Reaction score
Pick one. They all do the same for budgets. The new thing in Tenant Improvment jobs is called White Box or Market Ready. Basically they demo all the existing floor, walls, ceilings, MEPs and make the floor look like core and shell again. More and more tenants like the open look these days. So the building owners are showing them this look. Most of the buildings are 20-30 years old and need a upgrade anyway. Lot of new bathrooms, corridors and elevator lobbies.

What GC do you work for Hammer.?

We are doing TI's right now(exactly what you described), just finished up 30 something de commissions (demos) making them market ready up north.

Hammer

Reaction score
Thats the plans the land lord or designer gives the GC. The GC is making you do all the work and saving on the MEP costs. I hope you charge him for design

^^^^[emoji106]🏻 I try not to do that. Really hard to get sub walk approval pre bid sometimes. Timeline is impossible to schedule and the client expects you to bid off the prints. Then they bitch about change orders and additional costs on a retro fit/TI.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Shit this thread is like sitting in a weekly GC coordination meeting. I,m site utilities so I get set of to the side and listen while everyone argues for space...BORING [emoji1]

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
As a Worker you have a ceiling pay scale wise. You will never get paid more than your journeyman co worker. You can out perform him in every aspect of your trade, you still get paid equally.

If I went Union, it would be in local 104 or whatever Union commercial HVAC/refrigeration service is. Controls is the job to have in the HVAC business IMO. Travel around in a laptop and do start up and diagnosis. No hard labor..

Don't kid yourself Hammer, even when you are union the good guys get more, I do.[emoji6]

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I have a gas card and a company car. A scale sucks for the over achiever. If you were paid so well you wouldn't be doing side jobs.

Any how you are fucking up a good HVAC thread. Lol

Yep gas card and truck. I'm an over achiever and it has worked out well. [emoji12][emoji106][emoji41]

dezertrider

Reaction score
Just strip down to your underwear and change right in front of the donut shop ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441137733.800186.jpg

dezertrider

Reaction score
Another river trip and they found me again when there AC stopped working ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441497319.111997.jpg

PVHCA

Reaction score
Be careful out there AC techs, now crazy MoFo's are holding you guys hostage.

Jimmy

Reaction score
As a Worker you have a ceiling pay scale wise. You will never get paid more than your journeyman co worker. You can out perform him in every aspect of your trade, you still get paid equally.

If I went Union, it would be in local 104 or whatever Union commercial HVAC/refrigeration service is. Controls is the job to have in the HVAC business IMO. Travel around in a laptop and do start up and diagnosis. No hard labor..

So the job to have is electrician [emoji41] ?

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
If I knew then what I know now. It would go elevator guy, union electrician, union pipe fitter, union tin knocker, union carpenter [emoji4]

Wow Vic, you don't reach very high for the stars do you?[emoji12] Local 12 here, didn't even make it on your list but then again union operator doesn't even belong with that crowd.[emoji1]

mbrown2

Reaction score
You can't be considered "baller" until you have framed pictures of your yachts (yes plural) racing.

View attachment 432812

And this is your view from your vacation home. The boats in the picture are across the canal they don't have enough dock space to keep them at our house so they keep them across the channel.

That's ballin considering he rented or has a copter just for that shoot! Lido looking towards the yacht club...nice!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Wow Vic, you don't reach very high for the stars do you?[emoji12] Local 12 here, didn't even make it on your list but then again union operator doesn't even belong with that crowd.[emoji1]
Not to many operator jobs and if it rains....:p

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

You're right I forget about 12 i would love to be a man lift operator. Seems like a lot of stress though running those big machines

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Not to many operator jobs and if it rains....:p

Plenty of jobs for the good ones and I don't miss any days for rain since I'm a foreman but we will see when El Nino shows up.[emoji106]

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
You're right I forget about 12 i would love to be a man lift operator. Seems like a lot of stress though running those big machines

Man lift operator would be boring. Look at it this way with the big machines. They are no different than running small ones, the seat and the controls are the same size. The only difference are that the mistakes you make are a lot bigger[emoji23]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Man lift operator would be boring. Look at it this way with the big machines. They are no different than running small ones, the seat and the controls are the same size. The only difference are that the mistakes you make are a lot bigger[emoji23]

Rdp in a man lift all day [emoji3] goooooood

Jimmy

Reaction score
If I knew then what I know now. It would go elevator guy, union electrician, union pipe fitter, union tin knocker, union carpenter [emoji4]
[video=youtube_https;mViO9mnCTBo]https://youtu.be/mViO9mnCTBo[/video]
Language warning on this one lol

Cray Paper

Reaction score

Hmmm, even though I am a salaried Superintendent for a Union GC I still pay my dues to the carpenters union. If you want to make big money get in to the elevator trades union. If you want to be a fucking pain in everyone else's ass and make 30% less money than elevator installers but more than the other trades AND work less than other trade on the job get in the electricians union.

Cray Paper

Reaction score

When we put operators in manlifts or freights it's like punishment. They are locked in that box for 10+ hours a day. Yea, the money is good but it takes it toll on them. Best gig for some one who really likes to work is tower crane operator. 7 days a week, 10-18 hours a day. Start complaining about the hours or asking for time off and your down the road. Zero tolerance for that, take the job and it's assumed your ass is in the seat until the jobs done. That's the way it works for those guys. People want to bitch about what they make but seriously, if your work said you had to work very day for the next year and a half (take the days off as dumb luck) and 10 - 18 hours a day most people would say no, no matter what the pay is. Not to mention you have peoples lives in your hands with every pick.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
When we put operators in manlifts or freights it's like punishment. They are locked in that box for 10+ hours a day. Yea, the money is good but it takes it toll on them. Best gig for some one who really likes to work is tower crane operator. 7 days a week, 10-18 hours a day. Start complaining about the hours or asking for time off and your down the road. Zero tolerance for that, take the job and it's assumed your ass is in the seat until the jobs done. That's the way it works for those guys. People want to bitch about what they make but seriously, if your work said you had to work very day for the next year and a half (take the days off as dumb luck) and 10 - 18 hours a day most people would say no, no matter what the pay is. Not to mention you have peoples lives in your hands with every pick.

I don't care how much you like to work....what sane person wants to work 10-18 hour days and no day off? That's just stupid.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I don't care how much you like to work....what sane person wants to work 10-18 hour days and no day off? That's just stupid.

That's what what's in the job description if you want to be a union crane operator. Same type of expectation if you want to be a union carpenter. Bet most f the union bashers wouldn't make that commitment, they like random days off and 8 hour a day or less shifts. That's not the case in the union trades, your ass belongs to the job your on. When that one is done it belongs on the next one. Like I have said before, idiots that bitch about trade unions have obviously never worked in one. Yea, the pay is good but it isn't coming easy.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The up and down business has been pretty good to me!
I had a friend that was in the up and down business. Was real good to him too. He passed away a couple weeks ago from an accident on the job.

minijeep

Reaction score
I had a friend that was in the up and down business. Was real good to him too. He passed away a couple weeks ago from an accident on the job.

Sorry for your loss! it's actually one of the most dangerous trades based on hr worked only second to iron workers.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss! it's actually one of the most dangerous trades based on hr worked only second to iron workers.
Thanks. He was a fellow boater as well. Lost a good one. I can definitely see how it could be very dangerous.

Dalton

Reaction score
Testing some of my work aka break time

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442405510.346713.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
howdy... i think it was you unless you put stoker boat stickers in the back window of all your trucks?

12028671_10153284827369833_4658141732520582226_o.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Did it short due to chafing where it penetrated the wall ? People often overlook just how much structures can vibrate.