WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Did it short due to chafing where it penetrated the wall ? People often overlook just how much structures can vibrate.

No it ended before the penetration. Not sure what happened. I think the customer jammed a metal rack against it and that pas what caused it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
No it ended before the penetration. Not sure what happened. I think the customer jammed a metal rack against it and that pas what caused it.
I can't tell you how many times we have condensate issues due to customers pinching lines with pallets or bending them by putting too many packages underneath them. The delivery drivers are the WORST!!

dezertrider

Reaction score
Crane operator said watch that side and tell me if it continues to sink. I said how about we reset onto solid ground
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444160232.569184.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444160247.986490.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444160263.787326.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444160275.074666.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
How big a unit is on the end of the hook, and is this how you guys have to do all roof mounted units?
Package unit on the roof = crane 99% of the time no matter the size. I'd be HIGHLY suspect of a company trying to get it on the roof any other way.

Hammer

Reaction score
Package unit on the roof = crane 99% of the time no matter the size. I'd be HIGHLY suspect of a company trying to get it on the roof any other way.

You mean you wouldn't use a genie lift? Lol [emoji12]

cola

Reaction score
Customer I quoted a couple weeks ago. Pulled the trigger on their new system, but we can't get them in for over a Week. No big deal until their old system took a dump today. They have two small babies. So with some quick thinking. Dynamic now offers temporary AC to those customers awaiting an install with us. ;) the customer was beyond happy when I told him I had a solution for him and would be there in about 30 minutes.

View attachment 414416
View attachment 414417

One of the co. we work with has some of the temp units like this. After a couple of water damage repairs or the we ended up going with another co. and what loaner unit they put a stop to it.
Same co. that got sued by a city inspector because he fell off the customers extension ladder doing the inspection on a new unit. He also sued the home owner and the city. Everyone paid and he is still a city inspector.
By the way I set stuff on your units all the time.
Mike

dezertrider

Reaction score
We just had an inspector refuse to climb a extension ladder even though it was set up to OSHA standards. It's a sketchy roof no doubt! I told the homeowner he is going to have to rent a high lift if he wants to close the permit lol

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We just had an inspector refuse to climb a extension ladder even though it was set up to OSHA standards. It's a sketchy roof no doubt! I told the homeowner he is going to have to rent a high lift if he wants to close the permit lol

Can't film or take a pic for him? Works for us sometimes

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
One of the co. we work with has some of the temp units like this. After a couple of water damage repairs or the we ended up going with another co. and what loaner unit they put a stop to it.
Same co. that got sued by a city inspector because he fell off the customers extension ladder doing the inspection on a new unit. He also sued the home owner and the city. Everyone paid and he is still a city inspector.
By the way I set stuff on your units all the time.
Mike

We actually have pans made that the units sit in so in the event they spelled or overflow it goes in to catch pan

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Question for you experts, how much are these commercial units worth to tweekers? the shopping center by me had 14 units stolen 2 weeks ago roof mounted individual lessees are responsible for replacement.:thumbsdown

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Question for you experts, how much are these commercial units worth to tweekers? the shopping center by me had 14 units stolen 2 weeks ago roof mounted individual lessees are responsible for replacement.:thumbsdown

The scrap is worth about $20-50 per unit.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

They probably get like 80 bucks at the recycling center?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've never taken one in before but, I just took in a pure aluminum (no other metals such as copper or anything) coil that was about 4' long and 8" wide. Weighed 13 pounds and I got $4. So I can't imagine a hole unit is worth much as scrap. Lol!

dezertrider

Reaction score

We get 30-50$ per unit from our scrapper. He probably makes 50-80$ per unit probably. Total cost to replace all 14 units 50-75k.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Scrap prices are low right now only $130 a ton where it averages $150 and in the peak several years ago was $330 when metal was getting taken everywhere had my temporary job site fences stolen and recycled. Copper and aluminum are what pays out of units.

The last 2 roof top units was $240 in scrap with scrap prices low. A few years ago around $180 a unit. My ac buddy saves them for one of my guys who recycles. On crane jobs with more than one unit I bring a dump trailer and have them dropped in. We then roof in the curb while we are there for him for $350 a unit. Waiting on a 22 unit job that is for another friend. Any of you doing jobs by Torrance send the old units my way.

dezertrider

Reaction score
I tried separating the metals once. The pay was much better fore sure but so was the labor cost to pay my guys to separate it. Now we just don't have the man power. Here is the mess we created

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446143523.533956.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446143715.700525.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446143755.534375.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
It makes a hell of a mess. Oil, rusty metal and a bunch of self tapper screws to end up in your tires. Not worth it for most but my guy has a dedicated truck and a area to break them down. My AC guy hates to haul them off site in his truck so he calls and asks. The dump trailer no need to worry about scratches or damage just drop them in with crane and I dump them at his spot so he can break them down.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
It makes a hell of a mess. Oil, rusty metal and a bunch of self tapper screws to end up in your tires. Not worth it for most but my guy has a dedicated truck and a area to break them down. My AC guy hates to haul them off site in his truck so he calls and asks. The dump trailer no need to worry about scratches or damage just drop them in with crane and I dump them at his spot so he can break them down.

we have a scrap guy that picks up the smaller equipment from our shop. Pays a little better than Adams steel and we spend no labor to take it there. The large equipment goes to Adams or picked up at the job site by one of our scrappers.

yz450mm

Reaction score
We are doing a commercial tenant improvement in Sacramento, taking down a bunch of steel stud walls. If the scrapper doesn't show up to remove the metal pile, I just push it out the back door with the skid steer and it's gone by morning, guaranteed. The tweakers are always watching....

dezertrider

Reaction score
1969 furnace we just pulled out. Check out the the screw. They had to drill a hole with a electric power drill then hand screw in the flat head screw. I did a roof top package unit in the Orange circle a few years ago where all the roof top sheet metal was done this way. Must of taken forever to do

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447346221.105704.jpg
Cast burner tubes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447346240.089822.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447346279.261114.jpg

Dalton

Reaction score
No EPA in Afghanistan! Blow and go just throw a good vacuum and charge with gauges and a scale. That's a fancy charging rig for Afghanistan

It stays locked up in a container out here [emoji41], I must say though these things don't last long in these conditions. One cool thing though, if I'm somewhere that doesn't have power I can plug it into the power source on the truck.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

westair

Reaction score
1969 furnace we just pulled out. Check out the the screw. They had to drill a hole with a electric power drill then hand screw in the flat head screw. I did a roof top package unit in the Orange circle a few years ago where all the roof top sheet metal was done this way. Must of taken forever to do

Everything was union then so time was not a factor:D ....... I've run into those screws before too, just thinking ....wow

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

View attachment 446988
Cast burner tubes
View attachment 446989
View attachment 446990
I did a tune-up and inspection on a furnace in a 110 year old home and the furnace was from 1973. Inspected that heat exchanged with a fine tooth comb.... no cracks. I was shocked for how old it was.

dezertrider

Reaction score
I did a tune-up and inspection on a furnace in a 110 year old home and the furnace was from 1973. Inspected that heat exchanged with a fine tooth comb.... no cracks. I was shocked for how old it was.

We thought this was cracked also. Normally on a clam shell heat exchanger they are spot welded together and all the dimples were separated where they are normally spot welded together. This was so old that they made it out of thick ass Steele and had no cracks even though the burners were clogged with rust. They made the old stuff well

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We thought this was cracked also. Normally on a clam shell heat exchanger they are spot welded together and all the dimples were separated where they are normally spot welded together. This was so old that they made it out of thick ass Steele and had no cracks even though the burners were clogged with rust. They made the old stuff well
Ya, seen a few of those. The heat exchanger weighs probably 60lvs by itself. Lol!

dezertrider

Reaction score
These find gentleman were trying to sell me a bottle of refrigerant on the five freeway at 80 miles an hour
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449251073.431767.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449251114.579896.jpg

Wayn-o

Reaction score

Pulled some old gravity furnaces out of Laguna Beach that used real steel burners like that. I used to keep all the of the old thermostats with bellows in them just for kicks. Filled a small vodka bottle with Mercury from many years of old T stats. Now I just have a bottle of Haz Mat!