WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

dezertrider

Reaction score
Those filter doors are such a pain in the ass to get off!

Same design for 20 years. I hate them too

Now for the weekend
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455329511.021898.jpg

JRS1939

Reaction score
8bd719888bd4887661ce101a01ade249.jpg

Hello common return and missing unit panels!

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Same design for 20 years. I hate them too

Now for the weekend
View attachment 466077

Those Carrier units have been around awhile and were always a pain to do maintenance. Especially if it was side discharged ducting. The drain line being in between the side duct openings made it next to impossible to get to.
I was told Carrier invests money in one line of equipment for a few years and then moves on to another line to upgrade. Takes them awhile to get back around.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Those Carrier units have been around awhile and were always a pain to do maintenance. Especially if it was side discharged ducting. The drain line being in between the side duct openings made it next to impossible to get to.
I was told Carrier invests money in one line of equipment for a few years and then moves on to another line to upgrade. Takes them awhile to get back around.
Screw carrier, they just announced they are closing a plant in the US and moving 1400 jobs to Mexico.

dezertrider

Reaction score
Screw carrier, they just announced they are closing a plant in the US and moving 1400 jobs to Mexico.

Daiken is completing on of the largest AC manufacturing plants in the US. You must be able to make a good profit and keep it is the US

dezertrider

Reaction score
Some people think that you do not need a lifted work truck but it sure comes in handy at times. It's a pretty good mobile platform
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456434903.684716.jpg

DCBEXTREME24HP

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1454108809494.jpg

I work on the big stuff. Here's a 4,000 ton CDHF Trane Duplex. This plant has 2 of these piped in series for 8,000 tons of cooling for a power plant

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
View attachment 468604

Here's 2 1,250 ton Trans chillers at a local university. Nice clean chiller room.
That is a nice equipment room.

When NBC sold the Burbank studios M. David Paul (the current owner) wanted a set of current piping schematics for the studios. It was my job to trace them all out and draw them in CAD. If I recall correctly they had 4 800 ton chillers in a room 1/2 that size along with all the associated chilled water and condenser water pumps and piping. Tracing out that bundle of snakes was soooo much fun!! Lol!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 468656

This was a trip. I went to Danny's (badblown572) parents house the other day because they want us to relapse their other system. and realized that this was the first residential Dynamic Air Services ever did. Still looks good after all these years. I'm gonna have the guys update a few things but have to say I'm still proud of the work we did. [emoji106]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
View attachment 468656

This was a trip. I went to Danny's (badblown572) parents house the other day because they want us to relapse their other system. and realized that this was the first residential Dynamic Air Services ever did. Still looks good after all these years. I'm gonna have the guys update a few things but have to say I'm still proud of the work we did. [emoji106]
You gonna update that condensate trap and the gas flex going through the cabinet? Lol!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Question for the AC guys. I have 80k sq ft. building that we are upgrading the fire sprinklers that was built in 1973. Standard wood purlins and glulamb beams. The owner had to hire a structural engineer to make sure the roof will hold up the new pipes. The owner asked me to forward the new AC units location that will be on the roof to the engineer so he could calculate the weight / load of the AC units. The engineer wants $2k more in addition to the 13k he is already paying him. My question is this price within reason and does the AC guy need the structural calcs when he submits his plans for permits. The building is in Cerritos, CA.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Question for the AC guys. I have 80k sq ft. building that we are upgrading the fire sprinklers that was built in 1973. Standard wood purlins and glulamb beams. The owner had to hire a structural engineer to make sure the roof will hold up the new pipes. The owner asked me to forward the new AC units location that will be on the roof to the engineer so he could calculate the weight / load of the AC units. The engineer wants $2k more in addition to the 13k he is already paying him. My question is this price within reason and does the AC guy need the structural calcs when he submits his plans for permits. The building is in Cerritos, CA.

Yes. Structural will be needed for the AC.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how critical the structure and unit locations are on a commercial roof. Remember, they have to cut some pretty big holes in the roof itself as well as have the framing and support underneath the curb to carry that weight down and out and with wood purlins, engineering is definitely required to verify the wood can carry that additional load or where that additional load needs to be. Definitely not something 95% of A/City companies can do.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how critical the structure and unit locations are on a commercial roof. Remember, they have to cut some pretty big holes in the roof itself as well as have the framing and support underneath the curb to carry that weight down and out and with wood purlins, engineering is definitely required to verify the wood can carry that additional load or where that additional load needs to be. Definitely not something 95% of A/City companies can do.

Yea the engineer did tell me if the units would be better off near a glulamb beam then a purlin. They have to beef up the roof for our mains. Now he will have to include the new AC units.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Sometimes work just isn't too bad. My view today.....

uploadfromtaptalk1456862931504.jpg

Sbarry

Reaction score
You actually will be seeing me. My guy got called into jury duty so instead of rescheduling you I'm gonna go out and run it.

Sounds good... I'm gonna try haul ass to get down there as soon as possible but may not be until 1pm. If Saturday morning is better for you, I'm good with that too.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good... I'm gonna try haul ass to get down there as soon as possible but may not be until 1pm. If Saturday morning is better for you, I'm good with that too.

I will be up in big bear Saturday. I will plan to be there around 115-130

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

Anytime units weighing over 500 lbs will need structural calcs.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Thanks..Good to know. I think these are 450 lbs.

You need to make sure you include the unit weight, any accessories like outside air hood or economize plus the roof curb...it's the total weight not just the unit. I'm sorry I should have been more clear earlier.

dezertrider

Reaction score
:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear:swear $%^$##%@#$#

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
That part of the 405 attracts total automobile assholes. Must have something to do with their shitty job in a big boy building, so they roll down Jamboree and jump on in a lane they know ends and then purposely cut you and slam the brakes. :thumbsdown

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Anytime units weighing over 500 lbs will need structural calcs.

Many cities are now requiring structural calcs for units the same weight or even lighter. Their comment is that it may not have been right in the first place. I guess its just another way to create revenue.