WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Those look like Dakin mini splits. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I can't wait to put one in. We just switched over to that line because of all the positive reviews

You will like them for sure. We use the shit out of their VRF systems. I just got 130,000 square feet design build that we are using Daikin VRF.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
we don't recycle per sey...we have a recycle company that we call to take all the old equipment...they show up with a crew and trucks and remove everything and when it is all done gives a cut of the pie...couldn't work out better for either of us.

That's the same thing we do. On our small stuff the guys bring back to shop and out scrap guy comes by once a week and picks up larger jobs the guys meet us on site

NicPaus

Reaction score
That's the same thing we do. On our small stuff the guys bring back to shop and out scrap guy comes by once a week and picks up larger jobs the guys meet us on site

That seems to be what most do. I figure it takes up to much space for old units and its a mess breaking them down. They used the same guy here forever who recently got to old and the guy taking over does not kick back $$. I have 3 trailers that barely get used and my worker has 2 3/4 ton trucks and already does scrap on the side. Thinking about hitting up all the local AC guy's I know and seeing what it will take to get the old units from them on a regular basis.

dezertrider

Reaction score
That seems to be what most do. I figure it takes up to much space for old units and its a mess breaking them down. They used the same guy here forever who recently got to old and the guy taking over does not kick back $$. I have 3 trailers that barely get used and my worker has 2 3/4 ton trucks and already does scrap on the side. Thinking about hitting up all the local AC guy's I know and seeing what it will take to get the old units from them on a regular basis.

Find a guy driving around in a Toyota Dually and you have a new scrap guy. My office manager flagged down the local scrap guy a few weeks ago and said he paid more than normal. I told him that's not our regular guy and he said they all look alike

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Saw one of u guys on the 405 near Culver around 8 ish this morning

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Most likely me. That's the way I take to work in the morning

Yup I was waaay over in the exit lane to get off or I would have blasted the air horn and flipped u off. :D Was heading to my first stop in Irvine.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Keeping bankers hours these days I see.

I wish it's was bankers hours, usually I'm down in south OC by 6 am. Been trying to get back to the gym but it seems like I workout for two days then I'm out for a week with this back injury . [emoji107]

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Here are a few pics I took this morning of a 300ton cooling tower, pumps, boilers, plate heat exchanger for a 12 story condo project we are finishing up in Long Beach...

Edison Plant.jpg Edison Plant 2.jpg Edison Plant 3.jpg Edison Plant 4.jpg

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Here are a few pics I took this morning of a 300ton cooling tower, pumps, boilers, plate heat exchanger for a 12 story condo project we are finishing up in Long Beach...

View attachment 414190

I see in the last pic, that you HVAC guys are together in using the customer's new equipment as your work bench....

Fuckers...

As an Owner's Representative, that shit pisses me off more than the equipment not working right.

C

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I see in the last pic, that you HVAC guys are together in using the customer's new equipment as your work bench....

Fuckers...

As an Owner's Representative, that shit pisses me off more than the equipment not working right.

C

Yah Lynch.....wtf?

River Lynchmob

Reaction score

Fuckers...

C

Carl...you need to do a little more of what your avatar shows...the flange is ours the rest is the plumbers things. Now take a deep breath and repeat after me "life is too short to sweat the little things"

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I learned it by watching you!

If I'm selling something that's such poor quality that a tool can't be set on it without being damaged. The problem isn't with the tool on the unit but with the piss poor quality product. I have no issue setting tools on our units because if me setting something on it damaged it, I would be searching for a different product to sell my customers.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
If I'm selling something that's such poor quality that a tool can't be set on it without being damaged. The problem isn't with the tool on the unit but with the piss poor quality product. I have no issue setting tools on our units because if me setting something on it damaged it, I would be searching for a different product to sell my customers.

Well I can tell you that the boiler that is allegedly being used as a "work beach" is probably built more sturdy than 98% or work benches...haha

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Bill,

You've most the point entirely. The equipment nor the tool is the problem...it's the tool that set his tool on the customer's equipment. It's called pride in workmanship.

Ask Billy B if he lays tools across the recently painted deck of a customer's boat. Ask Rattle Can Lou if he puts tools on a recently painted car in his shop. Ask 2FF if he puts tools on a newly installed marble counter. Ask RD if he puts tools on the deck of the Schiada.

Pride in workmanship is a lost and dying breed of individual.

Carl

PVHCA

Reaction score
Bill,

You've most the point entirely. The equipment nor the tool is the problem...it's the tool that set his tool on the customer's equipment. It's called pride in workmanship.

Ask Billy B if he lays tools across the recently painted deck of a customer's boat. Ask Rattle Can Lou if he puts tools on a recently painted car in his shop. Ask 2FF if he puts tools on a newly installed marble counter. Ask RD if he puts tools on the deck of the Schiada.

Carl

You are comparing apples to oranges CC.

You are talking about metal that's outside in the elements not a "Kustom" paint job, easy Francis.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Bill,

Carl

I got the point you were trying to make. Just don't agree with it. You are comparing a very delicate easily damage surface to something that is designed to handle abuse elements and be very tough. So....like I stated. If I'm selling something that is going to be outside and constantly under attack of the elements animals etc. and it is damaged by me putting a tool on in that particular item will not be sold to my customer. Apples to oranges here buddy.

Now if you were making the same statement because there was a picture of tools being placed on a delicate surface, say four example customers wood floors, walls, counters or anything that would be easily damaged then I would be 100% agreeable .

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I got the point you were trying to make. Just don't agree with it. You are comparing a very delicate easily damage surface to something that is designed to handle abuse elements and be very tough. So....like I stated. If I'm selling something that is going to be outside and constantly under attack of the elements animals etc. and it is damaged by me putting a tool on in that particular item will not be sold to my customer. Apples to oranges here buddy.

Now if you were making the same statement because there was a picture of tools being placed on a delicate surface, say four example customers wood floors, walls, counters or anything that would be easily damaged then I would be 100% agreeable .

I can promise you that any tech (yours, Lynch's or anybody else's) that will set tools in the wrong place on job A will do the same on job B...they're called habits and habits are a product of pride in workmanship.

Take your car/boat/truck to a mechanic that opens every drawer in his tool box and they each look the same (greasy, screwdrivers mixed with sockets) to find a tool or take it to a mechanic that wipes down and places tools into the designated drawer after each and every job?

Which mechanic do YOU use?

Hammer

Reaction score
Carl has a point guys, that shit wouldn't fly on my projects. The clients I work with would shit a brick if they saw something like that.

It is bad practice, at least put something down on the new equipment prior to setting tools/parts on it during installation.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I can promise you that any tech (yours, Lynch's or anybody else's) that will set tools in the wrong place on job A will do the same on job B...they're called habits and habits are a product of pride in workmanship.

Take your car/boat/truck to a mechanic that opens every drawer in his tool box and they each look the same (greasy, screwdrivers mixed with sockets) to find a tool or take it to a mechanic that wipes down and places tools into the designated drawer after each and every job?

Which mechanic do YOU use?

Well I guess it depends on the definition of "wrong place".

Once again. Your comparing apples to oranges with the tool box reference. I'm one of the most organized techs you Will meet. My "toolbox" (my truck) is extremely organized in fact people will often be amazed at how organized our "tool boxes" are. But I will have no issue whatsoever placing my drill my gauges or any tool I'm using a top a condenser, on the flip side you will find me using floor protection, booties, etc to prevent any damage to delicate surfaces in the home.

I would have to say that based on the quantity of high end installs we do, we must be doing something right. No one ever picks us because we are the "low bidder". ;)

rt614

Reaction score
I know my fieldpiece meters and gauges were designed to hang off the side of equipment by magnet or hook. Maybe the HVAC industry is just doing it all wrong.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I know my fieldpiece meters and gauges were designed to hang off the side of equipment by magnet or hook. Maybe the HVAC industry is just doing it all wrong.

They must be......

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I think you guys will argue about anything lol

God forbid a bird shits on it or a drop of Fukushima laced acid rain lands on it.

All I saw was a badass job site that looked way more sano than 99% of construction projects out there.

Hammer

Reaction score
You are honestly telling me that if your customer Walked into this scene right here, during an install....they would shit a brick?
View attachment 414248

Or this during a service call?
View attachment 414249

I'd get an email for sure asking me why my subs are using "their" new equipment as a work bench. I'm just as guilty because I've done the same for years before I jumped to the GC side. You'd be amazed at what people complain about.

Service call not so much.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'd get an email for sure asking me why my subs are using "their" new equipment as a work bench. I'm just as guilty because I've done the same for years before I jumped to the GC side. You'd be amazed at what people complain about.

Service call not so much.

They better pay you a lot. lol.

The first pic that started this was because we were at a maintenance on a system we installed years ago. A drill was sitting on one of the units. Hardly a "work bench" but I guess no matter what you do someone will find a negative. I'm glad I deal with the clientele I do. Lol.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
You know people come on this site to showcase their boats, work, projects, hobbies or things they enjoy. I read posts of things I don't agree with or things that aren't my taste. Most of the time I will give a thumbs up or just say nothing. If you don't have something nice to say or a thumbs up...keep your comments to yourself...it's pretty easy...so many on here want to be critical but don't have a clue on what it takes to get things done...so as your mom probably told you growing up...if you don't have something nice to say...don't say anything...pretty easy.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
You know people come on this site to showcase their boats, work, projects, hobbies or things they enjoy. I read posts of things I don't agree with or things that aren't my taste. Most of the time I will give a thumbs up or just say nothing. If you don't have something nice to say or a thumbs up...keep your comments to yourself...it's pretty easy...so many on here want to be critical but don't have a clue on what it takes to get things done...so as your mom probably told you growing up...if you don't have something nice to say...don't say anything...pretty easy.

Sorry John...

Hammer

Reaction score

The two of you come highly recommended, my post wasn't in regards to the quality of work you put out. I apologize if it came across that way.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I've seen guys get fired for placing tools on people stuff [emoji2]little prep work maybe some plastic whatever goes a long way [emoji106]

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen guys get fired for placing tools on people stuff [emoji2]

I probably would've quit long before that.....We have built a very solid business and an impeccable reputation, so it would be hard to argue that we are "doing it wrong"

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I probably would've quit long before that.....We have built a very solid business and an impeccable reputation, so it would be hard to argue that we are "doing it wrong"

No one said doing it wrong. There's always room for improvement that's all. I'm great at what I do and part of the reason is because I'm always learning. The guys that are stuck in their ways and think their way is the only way, they are the ones who run into trouble. I've had my ass chewed a number of times for placing a drill on a desk in an office im patching or dumb stuff like that. An apprentice was resting drywall on a stair handrail on the roof of north ridge hospital. Rail was beat to shit way before we got there. Emails and phone calls for days after someone snapped a pic

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
No one said doing it wrong. There's always room for improvement that's all. I'm great at what I do and part of the reason is because I'm always learning. The guys that are stuck in their ways and think their way is the only way, they are the ones who run into trouble. I've had my ass chewed a number of times for placing a drill on a desk in an office in patching or dumb stuff like that.

I agree.....if I walked in a house and my techs didn't take every measure to protect the customers home, I would lose it. Setting a drill ontop of a unit that is designed to be tough. Non issue.

RSoscia

Reaction score
I agree.....if I walked in a house and my techs didn't take every measure to protect the customers home, I would lose it. Setting a drill ontop of a unit that is designed to be tough. Non issue.

I'm glad I stayed out of this one, Riverbound I know we have disagreed on a lot of things in the past. Sometimes I need to keep my mouth shut. Everybody has the right to do as they please. I with ya on this on Apples to Oranges. The top of a condenser is very sturdy, its outside and it is not and will never be a boat. Sorry about all that other crap we need to all get along were in the same business.