WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Is that a ford van? Always wondered how they were to work out of.

Awesome. They did a really good job with these bands and it has ton of features that make working out of them very nice. This one has the eco-boost motor as well.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I haven't forgotten about you. I'm thinking we go attic fan step 1. And see where that takes us. Then we re duct if needed.

Sounds good start "cheap"'er and then see if we need to fire both barrels at it, hate to think so, but what is necessary is NECESSARY, its pretty rough. People helping people :D Is it 5:00 yet......... :drink

dezertrider

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433561153.112447.jpg
I'm trying to get a few good photos for the new web page coming soon. The van and trailer look good together

dezertrider

Reaction score
Is that a ford van? Always wondered how they were to work out of.

I'm jealous of this van. I probably spent 10-15 years working out of the old Econlines vans. The new can you can walk into and stand at 6' tall. The Ecobooost has tons of power and 13-14 MPG now. The van can carry twice as much and the side door opens to 4'. We will see how it holds up but the Fords have never let me down

westair

Reaction score
They wanted to know why they needed a new AC unit just after a few years ...... it's called coastal livin ...lol
IMAG0342 (1).jpg

westair

Reaction score
Did they call for a second opinion?

Well this was just today so well see, but it could be the least of their problems ....they had this 25ton unit installed no more than 5 years ago and the coils are just falling apart .... I haven't said anything about this yet, I know they paid big $$ for it ...... don't know why the company that installed it didn't get the coils coated, right on the coast in Encinitas.
IMAG0337 (1).jpg
IMAG0242 (1).jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Well this was just today so well see, but it could be the least of their problems ....they had this 25ton unit installed no more than 5 years ago and the coils are just falling apart .... I haven't said anything about this yet, I know they paid big $$ for it ...... don't know why the company that installed it didn't get the coils coated, right on the coast in Encinitas.
View attachment 411865
View attachment 411866

Great account to have for you.

westair

Reaction score
Great account to have for you.

Yes, looks like more than just routine maintenance on this one!

Because they wanted to come back in 5 years and replace it again !!

I bid that replacement to them 5 yrs ago and they went with someone out of OC ..... so I'm not going to feel to bad when I give em the news..

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I bid that replacement to them 5 yrs ago and they went with someone out of OC ..... so I'm not going to feel to bad when I give em the news..

The difference in bid was probably the cost of coated coils. Lol.

rrrr

Reaction score

As you said, epoxy condenser coil coating that is done in the factory is the absolute best way to avoid damage like that in the photos you have posted. I don't remember what it costs, it's been a while since I retired so I imagine the cost has gone up. One of the last data center large jobs I did had six 500 ton air cooled chillers. I think it was around $4,500 to dip the coils for each unit, but a 500 ton unit has a lot of condenser coil surface area.

Another cause of corrosion like this is washing the coil with foaming cleaners like acid based Acti-Brite or alkaline based Acti-Klean. These cleaners are supposed to be diluted with water 4:1. It is also important to rinse the stuff off completely.

I've seen A/C techs spray it on full strength and wash it off in a half assed manner because it's too much trouble to haul water or string a hose up to the roof of a 35' tall tilt up warehouse building. If the cleaners aren't rinsed correctly it takes just a few weeks for the residue to attack the fins and destroy them. The combination of these chemicals with the coastal salt environment is a killer for aluminum condenser fins.

It looks to me that's what happened to the unit you posted. You can see the clean and discolored surfaces in a vertical row next to each other on the left side of the second photo. A tank sprayer with a cleaner like I mentioned above that isn't rinsed correctly will leave that sort of condition.

I'm curious if you have an idea as to what percentage your service calls are related to either incorrect service methods or misdiagnosis by other contractors. It's probably a big number.

View attachment 411865

View attachment 411866

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
How do u like the organic rockstars?

I like them tried it for the first time a couple days ago. And like the fact that there isn't the assortment of chemicals and crap like the others. Energy drinks as a whole aren't healthy. But figured it's at least a healthy-er option.

westair

Reaction score

As you said, epoxy condenser coil coating that is done in the factory is the absolute best way to avoid damage like that in the photos you have posted. I don't remember what it costs, it's been a while since I retired so I imagine the cost has gone up. One of the last data center large jobs I did had six 500 ton air cooled chillers. I think it was around $4,500 to dip the coils for each unit, but a 500 ton unit has a lot of condenser coil surface area.

Another cause of corrosion like this is washing the coil with foaming cleaners like acid based Acti-Brite or alkaline based Acti-Klean. These cleaners are supposed to be diluted with water 4:1. It is also important to rinse the stuff off completely.

I've seen A/C techs spray it on full strength and wash it off in a half assed manner because it's too much trouble to haul water or string a hose up to the roof of a 35' tall tilt up warehouse building. If the cleaners aren't rinsed correctly it takes just a few weeks for the residue to attack the fins and destroy them. The combination of these chemicals with the coastal salt environment is a killer for aluminum condenser fins.

It looks to me that's what happened to the unit you posted. You can see the clean and discolored surfaces in a vertical row next to each other on the left side of the second photo. A tank sprayer with a cleaner like I mentioned above that isn't rinsed correctly will leave that sort of condition.

I'm curious if you have an idea as to what percentage your service calls are related to either incorrect service methods or misdiagnosis by other contractors. It's probably a big number.

Its about 500.00 or so per unit in the 2 to 5ton range to have coated, both Carrier and Rheem send them out to a company called Luvata. You can even buy spray cans of this coating and do it in the field onsite, its about 10.00 per can and does a pretty good job, of course not near as good as factory but I've used it when we had to.
We don't do a lot of service or maintenance type work, mostly installation but what I've seen over the years is maintenance on an ac unit by others usually amounts to a quick filter change and a lot of times without the correct size filter, so I would say most units we replace have not been maintained properly.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Its about 500.00 or so per unit in the 2 to 5ton range to have coated, both Carrier and Rheem send them out to a company called Luvata. You can even buy spray cans of this coating and do it in the field onsite, its about 10.00 per can and does a pretty good job, of course not near as good as factory but I've used it when we had to.
We don't do a lot of service or maintenance type work, mostly installation but what I've seen over the years is maintenance on an ac unit by others usually amounts to a quick filter change and a lot of times without the correct size filter, so I would say most units we replace have not been maintained properly.

That's interesting I have seen the spray on stuff but never knew if it worked well.

I agree with you on the maintenance part I'm actually on my way to a building in El Centro right now for a board member. He was paying for quarterly maintenance on this building and the last time the filters were changed were April 2013. $6000 in repairs on nine units and his maintenance contractor told him the units were junk and needed replaced They are only six years old.

BasilHayden

Reaction score
View attachment 413157

Have a job visit in el centro. Would be a shame to not just keep going to the river. lol.

See I knew this would work out for you! When Wes was out a week ago to do the roof he did it the same way, hey maybe I should get a discount for encouraging a river trip! But seriously did you get the email that your guys did too good a job and now its tooooooo collllddddd in suite A. Whats up with that? I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. Thank Bill for getting the job handled for me. Have a great weekend.:drink

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
See I knew this would work out for you! When Wes was out a week ago to do the roof he did it the same way, hey maybe I should get a discount for encouraging a river trip! But seriously did you get the email that your guys did too good a job and now its tooooooo collllddddd in suite A. Whats up with that? I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. Thank Bill for getting the job handled for me. Have a great weekend.:drink

Yah. I was laughing when I read that.

It took me way out of my way to come down here but I wanted to make sure that everything was perfect so we don't get any calls. [emoji106] you know how I am [emoji6]

westair

Reaction score
That's interesting I have seen the spray on stuff but never knew if it worked well.

I agree with you on the maintenance part I'm actually on my way to a building in El Centro right now for a board member. He was paying for quarterly maintenance on this building and the last time the filters were changed were April 2013. $6000 in repairs on nine units and his maintenance contractor told him the units were junk and needed replaced They are only six years old.

I was unsure about the spray on stuff too but have seen some of the coils we did a couple years later and they still look good ....we just tried some from Sigler called Totaline Fin Protector, not sure how it is yet but it sure went on well, has a blue tint .... its all better than nothing I guess

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Yah. I was laughing when I read that.

It took me way out of my way to come down here but I wanted to make sure that everything was perfect so we don't get any calls. [emoji106] you know how I am [emoji6]

I know it did Bill, hope you know how much it's appreciated. Thanks again!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
There isn't even enough there to scrap...that compressor looks as old as the unit.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
There isn't even enough there to scrap...that compressor looks as old as the unit.

Someone took all the copper including every strand of wire. The suite has (or had) 2 units. And one side always got hot. This is what we saw. I'm assuming it's been that way a Long time based on how rusted everything is.

72Hondo

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434407316.287297.jpg

A job I'm having done at work.

One 4 ton until and two 1 ton spilt units.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Do all the big HVAC companies recycle? I helped on a few jobs lately and had the crane drop the old units in my dump trailer so one of my guys could recycle them. He has a 20 unit job in the future and thinking of bringing my equipment trailer for all the old units.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Those look like Dakin mini splits. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I can't wait to put one in. We just switched over to that line because of all the positive reviews

There very good. Love the wireless thermostat.

Two one tons for about 5K installed.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Do all the big HVAC companies recycle? I helped on a few jobs lately and had the crane drop the old units in my dump trailer so one of my guys could recycle them. He has a 20 unit job in the future and thinking of bringing my equipment trailer for all the old units.

we don't recycle per sey...we have a recycle company that we call to take all the old equipment...they show up with a crew and trucks and remove everything and when it is all done gives a cut of the pie...couldn't work out better for either of us.