WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who is the best engine builder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
In all of your opinions, who would you say is the best marine engine builder in Southern CA?

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure all the folks that have been in business for sometime are likely doing something right. My opinion is it really is who you can deal with to match your needs and time constraints. Most name brand builders use premium parts these days. So I guess the best may be more of a compatibility subject and dedication subject

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Tony Costantino - Aha Quin - builds some sick shit! :thumbsup

PLACECRAFT20

Reaction score
I have never had a chance to try Boost Power, but I have had great luck with Teague and his parts department. My last one was built by Dustin Whipple and it was a screamer. I have also seen some of the Gt Performance engines run and I would not hesitate to use Gary. I think Gregg Olsend is testimony to that.
In my area, Leon Derreby is supposed to be the shit. His big guns have not out run any off us with west coast power.
I would love to try a Carson Brumlett turbo setup.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
There are plenty of great builders. but I would have to say it would be hard to beat a Carson motor. Teague and boostpower seem to be up there also.

Hallett

Reaction score
Carson Brummett or Pfaff gets my vote.

Last edited:

Director...
Reaction score
Tom Brown Aero/Speed/Marine gets my vote...:thumbsup

Dudley.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I understand the question was So Cal. BUT.. Larry Peto, Tucson, gets my vote. Big reliable power. Larry doesn't let his ego effect the bottom line either. Predator uses him as well.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Different builders for different applications

I/O'S : GT / TEAGUE proven reliability

Jets: while no one here owns one apparently, Mike Miller, Dave Ebbert both hard to beat. Lance Oster can build a clean one too.

Vdrive, Brummett is a proven top choice

Director...
Reaction score

Jets: while no one here owns one apparently, Mike Miller, Dave Ebbert both hard to beat. Lance Oster can build a clean one too.

JBB.....Jetboat Owner....:thumbsup

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If we're talking "new" high performance (over 500HP) engines, the options for a California purchase narrow very quickly -- only Mercury Racing, Ilmor and Teague have CARB compliant/certified engines. Hope some of the other builders wake up and get it done. On January 1, 2013 all high performance marine engines must also be EPA compliant so the rule encompasses all 50 states, not just California. Our beloved Governor Brown just vetoed the Dutton bill that would have made the testing/certification process much easier and less costly. That's our business-friendly state for you!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Brummett Hands down, his attention to detail is unmatched, ever part, every fitting, every bracket, etc has all been custom one off made for a specific purpose, when you open an engine hatch with a Brummett Motor inside it's like opening the box of an expensive swiss watch.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have a fire truck that needs a lift kit. Ya think Brown can do it for me?

kiwi77

Reaction score
Various brackets made in house by Brummett

P1010378.jpg
[/IMG]

Little D

Reaction score
Lew and Carson. At least they actually build it themselves.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Like some have said here, depends on your use and desire. IMO if an engine has to be opened up and serviced in a short period of time, under 50 hours, seems like it's too much espense and work for me. I'd rather have a nice powered engine that can get the mail and is reliable just like a crate motor from Mercury. When I had my engine built I wanted good power and reliability and that's what I got from B & G Racing Engines in Yucaipa. Cory and Garey are excellent.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Dave Ebbert built an engine for me. Great motor and really stand up guy. I'm going to build something new this winter and highly thinking about going back to him.

Where's Mike Miller at? I've heard that name several times.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Pete Fleming. Hands down, no BS and builds some serious power.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Brummett Hands down, his attention to detail is unmatched, ever part, every fitting, every bracket, etc has all been custom one off made for a specific purpose, when you open an engine hatch with a Brummett Motor inside it's like opening the box of an expensive swiss watch.

I'm smart enough to know that Racey knows his shit when it comes to stuff like this :thumbsup

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Send a PM to Ultra23 at PB, or Cyclone, or any of the top jet guys at NJBA.

DNE is great, but Mike is a one guy program, who also boats regularly at Lost Lake, ie: you have your support on holidays if you're down there.
Very low key, has a long history of great engines and great personal success with his own Daytona at NJBA. Lance helps him out at Ming and is an accomplished builder as well. Haven't been around him in awhile but still hear regularly a lot of his engines are winning brackets and classes at NJBA.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
The guy who built these, 191 mph, LOTO Top Gun, non-professional , 2 years running! :D

Attachments

• 137668816.hXBmSxB5.IMG_0846.jpg
    137668816.hXBmSxB5.IMG_0846.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 677

toon

Reaction score
Mike's user name on Pb is Red Rocket if you want to pm him. He built the motor for my lake boat.

Bense

Reaction score
I'd talk to Mike Miller for sure. He's stand up guy and very helpfull. Shit he's helped us in pits w motors that werent built by him. Find me a builder who does that.

Constantino builds nice stuff too.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Dave Ebbert built an engine for me. Great motor and really stand up guy. I'm going to build something new this winter and highly thinking about going back to him.

He is a one man shop. He works out of his home in Murrieta/French Valley. He lives down the street from me. He builds some REALLY NICE pieces!

Mike

Hustler

Reaction score
Mike Miller is your man!! He built Morgans motor, also just redid CS19's motor and he does all the motors for John D he has also done alot of other NJBA racers stuff. The plus side with Miller is if you plan on using this in your Ultra he will be ALOT of help in setting the hardware for that boat.

Other than that you have Pfaff.

BTW: I have a DNE motor in my boat and love it.

Last edited:

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Send a PM to Ultra23 at PB, or Cyclone, or any of the top jet guys at NJBA.

DNE is great, but Mike is a one guy program, who also boats regularly at Lost Lake, ie: you have your support on holidays if you're down there.
Very low key, has a long history of great engines and great personal success with his own Daytona at NJBA. Lance helps him out at Ming and is an accomplished builder as well. Haven't been around him in awhile but still hear regularly a lot of his engines are winning brackets and classes at NJBA.

Thanks I will hit one of them up.

Dave is also a one man show (well once in a while he has an asst, but they never last long). I know engine builds sometimes take much longer with a one man show but as this is a winter build I don't really care if it takes a few months.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
To the rest of you regarding Mike Miller. Thanks for the contact info and advice. I'll defiantly call/PM him up soon. I'd really like to stick with an engine builder that is very familiar building engines for jet boats. Sounds like Mike is another great place for me to start. I have a certain performance and obviously price goal and IMO, only a guy experienced with jet boats is really going to be able to deliver what he promises. Ideally I want to build a pump gas single carb N/A 572 deal that would make around 800+hp and would be capable of a nice 300 shot. This is a river boat, not race boat.

RaceTec

Reaction score
To the rest of you regarding Mike Miller. Thanks for the contact info and advice. I'll defiantly call/PM him up soon. I'd really like to stick with an engine builder that is very familiar building engines for jet boats. Sounds like Mike is another great place for me to start. I have a certain performance and obviously price goal and IMO, only a guy experienced with jet boats is really going to be able to deliver what he promises. Ideally I want to build a pump gas single carb N/A 572 deal that would make around 800+hp and would be capable of a nice 300 shot. This is a river boat, not race boat.

Let me know if you need pistons, we still have the RDP discount!

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Mike Miller is your man!! He built Morgans motor, also just redid CS19's motor and he does all the motors for John D he has also done alot of other NJBA racers stuff. The plus side with Miller is if you plan on using this in your Ultra he will be ALOT of help in setting the hardware for that boat.

Other than that you have Pfaff.

BTW: I have a DNE motor in my boat and love it.

Which one of Morgans boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.