WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who is the best engine builder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
:fsakes

Really? Exactly how? The same guy that ran Pfaff before is still there...

What happens when he is gone? And to say there will be zero changes in a buyout situation as they have gone trough is bullshit.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just my opinion. Doesn't seem like strut is that great, nor is their product. I'm sure they sell a shit load of grills and make a huge mark up. But why would they get into the engine building biz, has nothing to do with grills, I can see how it would taint the Pfaff name/product.

Its just my opinion.

When is the last time you were down there? ;) I'm just saying a lot of people create theories about this sort've stuff without knowing all the ins and outs.

What happens when he is gone? And to say there will be zero changes in a buyout situation as they have gone trough is bullshit.

There's always going to be changes, but I would imagine the changes of being better funded and adding a rigging shop wouldn't be a bad thing?

RD

TFH

Reaction score
My hats off to GT Performance, they built the motor in my vector twin turbo EFI it was dyno at 1086HP but would kill 1300HP boats Gary told me it was all about set up. I sold the boat to Gary H co-driver and he said it would kill garys boat. The boat was a monster just ask Dave

sdpm

Reaction score
I wonder if "Famous"Amos Satterlee is still building engines??? He was one of the best

You mean this old guy? ;)

amos1.jpg

He sure does.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Pfaff is now owned by Strut, a company that sells plastic bling bling grills. I feel the name pfaff will be going down hill.

I was over at the shop last weekend. Simon helped me out with a fitting I needed in a pinch. All the same staff is still on hand. They were all there on a saturday and had zero room for any other projects and still took time to track down a used fitting to keep us on the water for the day.

Simon is a class act!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When is the last time you were down there? ;) I'm just saying a lot of people create theories about this sort've stuff without knowing all the ins and outs.

RD

This is why I posted some pics from JMS, so ya all can see what IS going on right now. They always have work in that shop.

Hey Barry, thanks for the PM. We need to meet real soon.

:beer

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

RD

Oh come on. That sort of stuff never happens around here. :D

Riodog

Reaction score
I've been good friends with Mike at JMS for maybe 15 years, and have know him Way longer than that!

Him and I are actually going to be doing a business partnership real soon. We will have some good things in store for ya all.

:D

Kool, keep us posted as to what it is and you've got got my support.

On another note.... Boy Scouts.... Anything, everything, collectables, any and all. I have MUCH that I want to donate to a worthy organization or person including my original 1935 Eagle Scout medal. Help me out here as I do not want to see these items go for not.
Turbo Dog -> formerly known as Rio

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

On another note.... Boy Scouts.... Anything, everything, collectables, any and all. I have MUCH that I want to donate to a worthy organization or person including my original 1935 Eagle Scout medal. Help me out here as I do not want to see these items go for not.

Not to get side tracked but how were you an eagle scout in 1935? As well what is up with this turbo rio?

RD

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Wow. Sending you a PM right now.

Thank you!!!! :champagne:

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I've been drinking tonight. But did pass a sobriety check point !!! I have raced boats with several great engine builders. Raced with my mentor Mert Littlefield ( blower guy ) he was my best friend and taught me most of what I know about machine work and engine building.

I have never had a bad experience with all of the major engine builders. I believe if your are honest and tell them the application, they can taylor to your application. Started in the late 70's with George Striegle ( Clay Smith Cams ). I cannot remember a failure endurance racing with his motors.

In the early 80's raced with Bud Cornelius ( TEAM C ) Very smart man and probably the most H.P. per cu. in. of any motor builder. He made stupid fast horsepower, and is a legend with Bad Moon Rising.

Circle raced with injected PHAFF motors with out a failure and great customer support.

Retired from racing, and spent many years on the beach. Built a play Biesemeyer in 2001, and had one of my Idols from drag racing build a big one carb motor. Tony Ervolina ( Fasination , and Dago Red ) Really drove the crap out of it, and then raced it in several circle boats without a failure.

Had a giant Gary Teague/ Richard Lee turbo motor with great performance and reliablity.

Most of the motor problems are from the owners who don't know how to tune or manitain performance motors in the first place.

Went back circle racing jet sprint boats a few years ago. Just by accident purchased a motor from Barry O. Obnoxious 001 on this site. Barry new the application and set us up with a odd combination. Not trying to brag, but we put it into a proven boat, and kicked but for the season.

If I could afford to go racing tomorrow I would contact Barry first. We were accused of cheating all season and passed tech inspections every time. Great guy, service and product. :champagne:

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
If we're talking "new" high performance (over 500HP) engines, the options for a California purchase narrow very quickly -- only Mercury Racing, Ilmor and Teague have CARB compliant/certified engines. Hope some of the other builders wake up and get it done. On January 1, 2013 all high performance marine engines must also be EPA compliant so the rule encompasses all 50 states, not just California. Our beloved Governor Brown just vetoed the Dutton bill that would have made the testing/certification process much easier and less costly. That's our business-friendly state for you!
We have always been known as a custom builder in which produces one off custom engines. For the masses, we are in process of
Carb compliance. Its all done less the paperwork. It Is a must for Ca and soon to be other States then Federal. We have our entire line less the competition engines ready. We actually are awaiting till Jan 1 to finalize our deal. Since the California market is our smallest, we have chosen to put a bit more time in preparing our products and warranties for compliance along with a specific entity that deals with completed engines vs. Engine kits to keep the paperwork clean. There is way more to it then just the Cert. We have been dealing with foreign countries for a long time and have seen the pattern for years. Our 2012 production engines will be FLEXFUEL compatible on some and we will be offering alternate fuel engines as well for the Clean Air Act. All certification is done in house with our equipment so we can endurance test each engine so we do not have a need to amend our output numbers like others may. For sure takes a lot of time and efforts. But our concern is to do it once properly. We have mastered running the engines leaner and have been working with marine converters with BORLA to make our product final when it is
Complete. It should be exciting, however if the California boat market stays down all this effort will be mute for a while. Thank G we send a lot abroad!

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I am sure all the folks that have been in business for sometime are likely doing something right. My opinion is it really is who you can deal with to match your needs and time constraints. Most name brand builders use premium parts these days. So I guess the best may be more of a compatibility subject and dedication subject

Good input. I think also you can add location. One reason I went with Bob Teague is that he is two miles from my house.;)

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Good input. I think also you can add location. One reason I went with Bob Teague is that he is two miles from my house.;)

Yes, if he is close that is great. He does great work as well. If your ever in our area-stop over. We have only 2 shipping locations across the state and they are small for heavy parts going to far locations. All our rigging and engine production is in Newbury Park, likley an hour from you. Enjoy

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Amo's shop is across from ours, he will be building motors till the day he dies, period. Consumate gentleman:thumbsup

OGShocker

Lion Hunter
Reaction score
B&D Marine!.... If you care about longevity!
:thumbsup

matt

Reaction score
alexi @ Boostpower! & Brummet!

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I think the real question is...Who's the best engine tuner?

Parts are parts and just about every shop, or person can put together a motor (for the most part). What separates the top notch guys from the rest is their ability to tune the motor they build.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think the real question is...Who's the best engine tuner?

Parts are parts and just about every shop, or person can put together a motor (for the most part). What separates the top notch guys from the rest is their ability to tune the motor they build.

Tuning is all about using the right combination of parts in the first place. You cant tune a bad combination of parts!

Cam grinds, compression, cyl head flow rates, valve sizes, intake and exhaust systems, ignition curves, and everything else in between have to be designed to work together.

Knowing how all the components will or not work together, comes from years of experience.

Anyone can assemble an engine. Knowing what parts to use, and having a dyno to test em all on is key.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Tuning is all about using the right combination of parts in the first place. You cant tune a bad combination of parts!

Cam grinds, compression, cyl head flow rates, valve sizes, intake and exhaust systems, ignition curves, and everything else in between have to be designed to work together.

Knowing how all the components will or not work together, comes from years of experience.

Anyone can assemble an engine. Knowing what parts to use, and having a dyno to test em all on is key.

Right. So it's all about the tune!! You can buy all the best parts from a list the most professional guy gives you. But if you don't set the timing right, or set the fuel pressure right, or set the carbs up right, or set the fuel curve right it won't work for shit.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, it takes a level of experience, talent, a great understanding of the hardwares limitations along with software/etc capabilities and of course understanding clients goals for us to make a decent package. We always say that their are a lot of folks that build good product, however they may not be able to apply it to the boat correctly etc. So with that said, if you follow a good recipe someone recommends, I am sure the meal will be good n close but usually not as good as the originator of the meal. A good cook never reveals a 100% of the recipe! The other subject to likely discuss would be the installations. Enjoy

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Gentlemen, it takes a level of experience, talent, a great understanding of the hardwares limitations along with software/etc capabilities and of course understanding clients goals for us to make a decent package. We always say that their are a lot of folks that build good product, however they may not be able to apply it to the boat correctly etc. So with that said, if you follow a good recipe someone recommends, I am sure the meal will be good n close but usually not as good as the originator of the meal. A good cook never reveals a 100% of the recipe! The other subject to likely discuss would be the installations. Enjoy

Absolutely. This takes years of experience and knowledge to get it right the first time.

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. This takes years of experience and knowledge to get it right the first time.

Yes not to mention the grind, all nighters and the expenses of endurance testing the parts! 

Riodog

Reaction score
Not to get side tracked but how were you an eagle scout in 1935? As well what is up with this turbo rio?

RD

Sorry bout the time lapse. Haven't been feeling up to it lately.
YOU called me "TURBO" awhile back so I just adopted the name. lol
As for the Eagle in 1935. I made Eagle in 1964 and the Badge that I was presented was from a family friend that also made Eagle in 1935. It meant a lot that he gave it to me as he had 2 daughters and no sons. Back then they were silver and completely engraved on both sides unlike these of today. I would like to pass it on to someone that would appreciate it. I also haven't any son to leave it to.
I have not forgotten about you Joe and when I get some energy I'll give you a call and set up a meet. I have lots of stuff if you and your son are interested.
Rio-> Turbo-LOL

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sorry bout the time lapse. Haven't been feeling up to it lately.
YOU called me "TURBO" awhile back so I just adopted the name. lol
As for the Eagle in 1935. I made Eagle in 1964 and the Badge that I was presented was from a family friend that also made Eagle in 1935. It meant a lot that he gave it to me as he had 2 daughters and no sons. Back then they were silver and completely engraved on both sides unlike these of today. I would like to pass it on to someone that would appreciate it. I also haven't any son to leave it to.
I have not forgotten about you Joe and when I get some energy I'll give you a call and set up a meet. I have lots of stuff if you and your son are interested.
Rio-> Turbo-LOL

Very interested. Hope your feelin better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.