WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who is the best engine builder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra26 # 1

2007 Ultra 26 Shadow
Reaction score
To the rest of you regarding Mike Miller. Thanks for the contact info and advice. I'll defiantly call/PM him up soon. I'd really like to stick with an engine builder that is very familiar building engines for jet boats. Sounds like Mike is another great place for me to start. I have a certain performance and obviously price goal and IMO, only a guy experienced with jet boats is really going to be able to deliver what he promises. Ideally I want to build a pump gas single carb N/A 572 deal that would make around 800+hp and would be capable of a nice 300 shot. This is a river boat, not race boat.

Should be fun in your Ultra.

chevy

Reaction score
Back in the day, Bob Sebring ( Torrence Service Center ) built some killer engines

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well are you asking who's the best or who can build a mild jetboat motor that will last for the right price? That's two very different questions.

RD

500bbc

Reaction score
Darell

[video=youtube;AaYdfPchd_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaYdfPchd_M[/video]

RaceTec

Reaction score
Back in the day, Bob Sebring ( Torrence Service Center ) built some killer engines

Is Bob still around? I used to deal with him all of the time when I was at Art Carr in F.V.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i grew up walking around jeff blosdale's shop when i was a kid. him and my dad were old high school buddies. awesome guy. too bad he's gone.

anyone had a motor built by jeff?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
i grew up walking around jeff blosdale's shop when i was a kid. him and my dad were old high school buddies. awesome guy. too bad he's gone.

anyone had a motor built by jeff?

Yes. :thumbsdown
I have a "Skinny" Pete Flemming motor in my Howard right now with 2 summers on it. Zero problems.:thumbsup
I also had a QMP "Quarter Mile Performance" and had zero problems on it in the 5 years.:thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Pick me!!! I know the answer to this question...

Attachments

• IMG-20110929-00127.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00127.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG-20110929-00126.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00126.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG-20110929-00123.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00123.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG-20110929-00119.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00119.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG-20110929-00121.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00121.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG-20110929-00117.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00117.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG-20110929-00116.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00116.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG-20110929-00115.jpg
    IMG-20110929-00115.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG00176-20100327-1703.jpg
    IMG00176-20100327-1703.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 439

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
They just got a go-pro camera. First vid ever of a pull from today...

[video=vimeo;29813021]http://vimeo.com/29813021[/video]

Riodog

Reaction score
Engine builder/driver of the Priceless boat.

http://www.gn-racing.com/GN_29_MKBY.php

Owner of JMS Racing, Mike Johnson. 35 years of building race engines.
You're slow. I set Riverbound up with JMS about 10 years ago. He's done more than a few of my motors and I have not had to wait 3 months to get um.

I won't talk trash but I've had a motor or two built by some of the above mentioned persons and I'd go to JMS, Barry (OB0000001), Bob Teague (who else would do some machine work for me on new years day?)

Don't tell um RD sent you cuz it might ruin my reputation..
lol
TURBO DOG-> formerly known as RIO.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You're slow. I set Riverbound up with JMS about 10 years ago. He's done more than a few of my motors and I have not had to wait 3 months to get um.

I won't talk trash but I've had a motor or two built by some of the above mentioned persons and I'd go to JMS, Barry (OB0000001), Bob Teague (who else would do some machine work for me on new years day?)

Don't tell um RD sent you cuz it might ruin my reputation..
lol
TURBO DOG-> formerly known as RIO.

I've been good friends with Mike at JMS for maybe 15 years, and have know him Way longer than that!

Him and I are actually going to be doing a business partnership real soon. We will have some good things in store for ya all.

:D

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
kaOtyk's post about Jeff Blosdale brought back old memories. Jeff always accused me of getting him hooked on high performance marine engines. I first met him in the early 1970s when he was operating a mobile mechanic business out of his pick-up truck in Marina del Rey and Redondo Beach doing basic repair and service for boats in the marina. Jeff was always a drag racer at heart -- gave him a shot at building a new 468 c.i. Chevy for my offshore race boat in his garage at home. Won a lot of races and championships with that engine and a couple of others that Jeff built for me later. Hard worker and was always more than fair. Always made a point of stopping by and seeing him at his shop in Havasu. Sorry that he passed so young.

Blown Hallett

Reaction score
Well if you want a real engine builder for early Chyrsler Hemis, there is none better on this earth than Gene Adams in Far Nor California, he is currently redoing my 392 after 25 years of service. He is the motor guru who maintains the A/F Nostalga dragster for Kin Bates, 230+ in a 392 Chrysler, oh this one is a billit Alum thing, but he has held records in many classes for the past 5 decades. You can't go wrong with the master !!!

Mike:D:D:D

chevy

Reaction score
Is Bob still around? I used to deal with him all of the time when I was at Art Carr in F.V.
Googled his name a while back and came up as in Lomita Ca, built some killer motors for my brothers flat back in the late 70's:thumbsup

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Googled his name a while back and came up as in Lomita Ca, built some killer motors for my brothers flat back in the late 70's:thumbsup

Service Center is still around. It's right around the corner from my house. I've only been in there once though. Parts are a lot cheaper from Summit or Jegs.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
On a serious note, has anyone here ever considered a motor from someone out of state? I was very close to getting one from Steve Schmidt but Wilkes was able to give me a little better deal since I got all my extra accessories from him too. My friend bought a turn key sbc from Schmidt for his Camaro and that thing is sick. 434 incher and make I believe 702 hp with a single carb. Nasty sounding fucker too. His prices are surprisingly cheap for the parts in his motors and they even give you a 1 year warranty.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
On a serious note, has anyone here ever considered a motor from someone out of state? I was very close to getting one from Steve Schmidt but Wilkes was able to give me a little better deal since I got all my extra accessories from him too. My friend bought a turn key sbc from Schmidt for his Camaro and that thing is sick. 434 incher and make I believe 702 hp with a single carb. Nasty sounding fucker too. His prices are surprisingly cheap for the parts in his motors and they even give you a 1 year warranty.

It happens quite often. That engine in the dyno vid I posted, will be going to Hawaii when its wraped up. Depends on the rep of the builder I guess. I know Mike ships stuff outa state all the time.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
It happens quite often. That engine in the dyno vid I posted, will be going to Hawaii when its wraped up. Depends on the rep of the builder I guess. I know Mike ships stuff outa state all the time.

Ya I figured that. Just don't hear about it here very often. I was very close to pulling the trigger on that Schmidt motor but after adding up the extras like v-drive oil pan, magnaflow water pump, and exhaust, Wilkes ended up being able to cut me a deal on the whole setup and the install for a price that was pretty reasonable. And it's kinda nice since he's close by in case (God Forbid) I ever have a problem with it. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ya I figured that. Just don't hear about it here very often. I was very close to pulling the trigger on that Schmidt motor but after adding up the extras like v-drive oil pan, magnaflow water pump, and exhaust, Wilkes ended up being able to cut me a deal on the whole setup and the install for a price that was pretty reasonable. And it's kinda nice since he's close by in case (God Forbid) I ever have a problem with it. :D

A good warranty is a huge plus...

:thumbsup

Boat Potato

Reaction score
George Striegel at Clay Smith. He's like a guru. Great people too.

77charger

Reaction score
Mike miller would be the guy to talk too as you have seen.Lew larsons a great guy as well for guys in so cal.

steveo143

Reaction score
Well if you want a real engine builder for early Chyrsler Hemis, there is none better on this earth than Gene Adams in Far Nor California, he is currently redoing my 392 after 25 years of service. He is the motor guru who maintains the A/F Nostalga dragster for Kin Bates, 230+ in a 392 Chrysler, oh this one is a billit Alum thing, but he has held records in many classes for the past 5 decades. You can't go wrong with the master !!!

Mike:D:D:D

Jim Shewbert is no slouch when it comes to hemi's or any other brand for that matter. Barry has done 2 BBC's for me, very happy!

fmo24

Reaction score
There are a lot of great names being put out here. But I keep going back to what BoostPower initially posted about it being a personal relationship and who you are comfortable working with.

New to boating

Reaction score
If you are ever planning on selling the boat, the reality is anything but Mercury Racing will be viewed as "Billy Bob"

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Most will agree:thumbsup

Banks,

FNN_bluemotor1.jpg

I don't think Banks will even talk on the phone about marine turbocharged engines anymore.

I did learn an awful lot from Wally Cartwright about engine building when I worked there in the late 70's.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don't think Banks will even talk on the phone about marine turbocharged engines anymore.

I did learn an awful lot from Wally Cartwright about engine building when I worked there in the late 70's.

Late 70's? When the were on San Gabriel Blvd?? I took the very first motor I ever built there for them to dial it it. Seems like another lifetime ago!

Also fo note: JMS did all the machine work for Gale Banks for ages. Not sure if they are still doing it though. Minor issue a few years ago! Too much to type on my phone. ;)

Hustler

Reaction score
Which one of Morgans boats?

I know for sure 000, I'm not sure about the deck boat. There is a race at Ming the weekend of the 15th. Mike will be out there along with all the boats he has done motors for. No better place to talk to existing customers and see what his motors are doing:thumbsup

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I had Larry Peto do some set up on a blower motor. I've had Mercury Racing in a boat. Two boats with Bob Teagues motors. I had a Gary Teague quad rotor. And two boats with Ilmors. Not one has ever lost a motor, or had any mechanical issues. I'd say any of them put together good motors. Ilmor and Merc Racing are more factory IMO. The rest are custom builders IMO.

Thing is, none of them are cheap, and all of them offer a warranty.

I do have another list of builders that I'm not going to post.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I had Larry Peto do some set up on a blower motor. I've had Mercury Racing in a boat. Two boats with Bob Teagues motors. I had a Gary Teague quad rotor. And two boats with Ilmors. Not one has ever lost a motor, or had any mechanical issues. I'd say any of them put together good motors. Ilmor and Merc Racing are more factory IMO. The rest are custom builders IMO.

Thing is, none of them are cheap, and all of them offer a warranty.

I do have another list of builders that I'm not going to post.:rolleyes:
Come on, your tuff enough say who it is:D:D

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Pfaff is now owned by Strut, a company that sells plastic bling bling grills. I feel the name pfaff will be going down hill.

wrighton

Reaction score
There are a lot of great names being put out here. But I keep going back to what BoostPower initially posted about it being a personal relationship and who you are comfortable working with.

Very Well Said: Nothing like starting out as a phone call and email to an engine builder from a friend recommendation, and becomes an acquinatenance, becomes an engine builder for you, and becomes a friend at the end of the deal. :thumbsup

Barry(Obnoxious) has done an excellent job at building something that will exceed my performance goals while being concience about my budget as well.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I know for sure 000, I'm not sure about the deck boat. There is a race at Ming the weekend of the 15th. Mike will be out there along with all the boats he has done motors for. No better place to talk to existing customers and see what his motors are doing:thumbsup

I really want to attend the races but I'll at a bachelor party. Isn't Irvine that same weekend?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Pfaff is now owned by Strut, a company that sells plastic bling bling grills. I feel the name pfaff will be going down hill.

Nothing plastic or cheap about a 5+K grill.. Lol. Why would they go down hill? They have sharp business men, they are well funded and they have Gordy. I'd say if anything they are in a great position to go up, not down.

RD

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Nothing plastic or cheap about a 5+K grill.. Lol. Why would they go down hill? They have sharp business men, they are well funded and they have Gordy. I'd say if anything they are in a great position to go up, not down.

RD

Just my opinion. Doesn't seem like strut is that great, nor is their product. I'm sure they sell a shit load of grills and make a huge mark up. But why would they get into the engine building biz, has nothing to do with grills, I can see how it would taint the Pfaff name/product.

Its just my opinion.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Just my opinion. Doesn't seem like strut is that great, nor is their product. I'm sure they sell a shit load of grills and make a huge mark up. But why would they get into the engine building biz, has nothing to do with grills, I can see how it would taint the Pfaff name/product.

Its just my opinion.

:fsakes

Really? Exactly how? The same guy that ran Pfaff before is still there...

Status
Not open for further replies.