WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where's Doug????

dougiebear111

Reaction score
It has been awhile since my last post. I am going to try to keep an updated journal of my travels and tows. Hence the name, Where's Doug? Since my mishap in April, I have traveled over 70,000 miles with a boat hooked to the back of my truck. Everything from Rob Blair's 38' Fountian to an 18' Kona jet boat has been hooked to my truck. I have traveled as far as S. Florida and as close as So. Cal. These pics are from my tows last month. The first one is a 2013 Mastercraft that came form California Skiier in Lake Elsinore. Delivered it out to Havasu. While it was in Havasu, I called Dave to come take some pics of it since it was the first of the "new" style I had seen. Dave took the pics and posted them here and got some pretty good feedback. Only wish the tower were up.

mstrcft2013.jpg

This one is also a Mastercraft. This one went to Valdosta Ga.. It was purchased from a private party in Corona. Notice the excellent shrink wrap job. I had to give a big thumbs up to Fear at Eliminator, he really did a great job on that boat, tower and Bimini. The bimini was basically permanent so it too had to be wrapped separately. From Ga. I blasted up tp Elkhart In. to pick up a Hurricane at the factory for delivery to Horizon Motorsports in Lake Havasu City Az.. They are a dealer for these very popular deck boats. Horizon Motorsports has kept me very busy delivering sold boats as well as picking up boats they have purchased. Preston is one of the good-guys. Anyone in the Lake Havasu area should stop by and say, hello.

mstrcft cass.jpg
hcane.jpg

This beautiful Howard was delivered to Lake Havasu to a very excited family. It seems the Safeway parking lot is a great place to deliver a boat. Not only is the Notary close, but the popularity and amount of traffic afford a major amount of attention, albeit a Howard alot of people stopped and asked about this boat. Good job Gene.

hwrd.jpg

Back to California Skiier for this nice X-15. Delivered this one to Lake Powell. No, not Wahweap, took this all the way to Bullfrog Marina on the North side of the lake. What a beautiful drive and with sunrises like this, it is no wonder Lake Powell is my all-time favorite lake.

mc1.jpg IMG-20121024-00385[1].jpg

Picked this Bad-Ass Eliminator up in Havasu to deliver to Menace Marine in Valencia Ca. for service. Menace Marine is located in the back of the Howard factory. Dustin is the owner and is very personable. I have been told that he used to work for Gary Teague at GT Performance. Every time I am at Howard Boats, Dustin seems to have alot of work. Hope the word gets out, he seems to be making a strong go of it.

orange elimnator.jpg

After dropping of some parts for Tom of Pro-Marine of Lake Havasu at VP Polishing/Cutting Edge Propellers in Santa Ana, I headed down to DCB to pick up a very nice M-35 headed to Havasu. I really enjoy pulling those M series boats. People just look at them in amazement, and always drive off with a smile on their faces.

m-35.jpg

Picked up this absolutely perfect M-31 in Broken Bow Ok.. The story on this one is; the guy is trading it in on another M-31. This one has Merc 700s w/NXT drives. Apperantly the new M-31 will have the Merc 1350 packages powering it. I guess 140 MPH++ is just not fast enough for some people. I will probably be towing the new boat back out to Oklahoma when it is completed. Can't wait to see it.

m-31 perfect.jpg

I will be down for a week or so as my truck is under repair. It seems that Rudolf decided to escape the tyranny of the Santa Claus regime. And in doing so decided that using the front of my truck to commit suicide was the answer. I wish I could sue Santa for the repairs, but that will never happen. So, my insurance will have to happily deal with it. Thanks for reading, look for my next installment of "Where's Doug" in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 206

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Awesome Doug!! Looking forward to watching the travels of gilligan around the country into the future! Especially seeing some of these bad ass boats in different locals! :)

RD

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Super cool man! Thanks for sharing your adventures!:thumbsup:D

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Cool thread, you get to see the boaters best two days (depending who you talk to).
I do have a question. How many spare tires do you carry? Seems, when I towed a couple hundred miles I always had a blow out.
Tires were always properly filled and within 2-3 years old.

Stay safe and I look forward to your next post.:thumbsup

fmo24

Reaction score
Great thread Doug. Looks like your keeping very busy. :thumbsup

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Cool thread, you get to see the boaters best two days (depending who you talk to).
I do have a question. How many spare tires do you carry? Seems, when I towed a couple hundred miles I always had a blow out.
Tires were always properly filled and within 2-3 years old.

Stay safe and I look forward to your next post.:thumbsup
In 3 years I have had 3 blow-outs and 1 axle failure. Most trailers have spares. The customer is only a phone call away. I give them the option of buying new tires or just putting on the spare. Never really been an issue.

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Awesome Doug!! Looking forward to watching the travels of gilligan around the country into the future! Especially seeing some of these bad ass boats in different locals! :)

RD
Thanks Dave, and thanks for the help.

shueman

Reaction score
Very cool Doug...:thumbsup Some fond memories back when I was haulin' for Bob & Fear...;)

FreeBird236

Reaction score
This is very cool, I hope you keep this thread going, and Happy Travels..:thumbsup

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Hey Doug,

So happy to hear that you are back up to speed and recovered from your "Ordeal":D

Really looking forward to following your travels on this thread!

I can absolutely say from personal experience to anyone who needs a boat moved that you will NOT be dissapointed with Doug's services.....he's the best:thumbsup:thumbsup

For our part no more moving boats down a "Burro Trail" as we have moved to LHC full time and there will always be a cold one for you and your lovely wife at our place.....all the best!!

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Hey Doug,

So happy to hear that you are back up to speed and recovered from your "Ordeal":D

Really looking forward to following your travels on this thread!

I can absolutely say from personal experience to anyone who needs a boat moved that you will NOT be dissapointed with Doug's services.....he's the best:thumbsup:thumbsup

For our part no more moving boats down a "Burro Trail" as we have moved to LHC full time and there will always be a cold one for you and your lovely wife at our place.....all the best!!
That "burro Trail" was cool. most definatly an adventure. My wife still talks about it. Glad to hear you are in LHC. We have moved to LHC also. Still getting house set up as its only been a couple of weeks. We will have to have dinner sometime.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Yup.....sounds great. We started unpacking October 3rd so we're not that far ahead of you.

Let's do the Taco Thursday/cruise night thing soon.

We're heading to CA later this week through Turkey day .....let's get together sometime after that.

Cheers!

dougiebear111

Reaction score
So. while I have been sitting around while my truck is in the shop I got to thinking. In the past 2 years which brand of boat has spent the most time behind my truck? The answer is pretty interesting. I will tell you that I have pulled 36 different brands in the past 2 years. Lets see if someone can guess the brand with the most hitch time.

rivergames

Reaction score
So. while I have been sitting around while my truck is in the shop I got to thinking. In the past 2 years which brand of boat has spent the most time behind my truck? The answer is pretty interesting. I will tell you that I have pulled 36 different brands in the past 2 years. Lets see if someone can guess the brand with the most hitch time.

Great story and my guess is a DCB

Once I year I drive the truck and race trailer back east to go racing. It gets pretty sketchy driving at night and the early morning with deer jumping left and right infront of my truck. I am 90% sure I am going to put a heavy duty protection bar on the front of my truck to take out any deer in my path.

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Great story and my guess is a DCB

Once I year I drive the truck and race trailer back east to go racing. It gets pretty sketchy driving at night and the early morning with deer jumping left and right infront of my truck. I am 90% sure I am going to put a heavy duty protection bar on the front of my truck to take out any deer in my path.
DCB would be a great guess and for this year the right guess. I did not pick up DCB until the beginning of this year. As far as a big bumper, I have been looking at them since the suicide. Its kind of hard to justify though as, last year I did 180,000 miles and this year since June I have done 70,000 miles. Thats alot of miles with no kills. My last truck had deer whistles in the grille. I will probably get some for this truck. By the way the DCB count for this year so far is 11.

rivergames

Reaction score
DCB would be a great guess and for this year the right guess. I did not pick up DCB until the beginning of this year. As far as a big bumper, I have been looking at them since the suicide. Its kind of hard to justify though as, last year I did 180,000 miles and this year since June I have done 70,000 miles. Thats alot of miles with no kills. My last truck had deer whistles in the grille. I will probably get some for this truck. By the way the DCB count for this year so far is 11.

Other than DCB, I have no idea. Just seams like you are towing a DCB around whenever I open your threads :D:thumbsup

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of used Eliminators moving about the country..

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Yes Dave Mastercraft takes the cake. I have towed 18 Mastercrafts in the past 2 years. the list is as follows:

18 Mastercraft
17 Hallett
16 Howard
12 Cobra
11 DCB
8 Eliminator
6 Hurricane
4 Donzi, Bayliner
3 Magic, Ultra, Extreme Trailers
2 Fountian, Cobalt, Commander, Sea Ray
1 Nordic,Campbell, Tige, Rinker, Hondo, Mirage, See Doo, Rogers, Kona, Baja, Sleek, Miller, Malibu, Centurion, Bently Crownline, Bryant, Sea Swirl, Grady White, Shamrock

It has been an adventure and am looking forward to the next couple of years. Should prove to be interesting.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Yes Dave Mastercraft takes the cake. I have towed 18 Mastercrafts in the past 2 years. the list is as follows:

18 Mastercraft
17 Hallett
16 Howard
12 Cobra
11 DCB
8 Eliminator
6 Hurricane
4 Donzi, Bayliner
1 Nordic,Campbell, Tige, Rinker, Hondo, Mirage, See Doo, Rogers, Kona, Baja, Sleek, Miller, Malibu, Centurion, Bently Crownline, Bryant, Sea Swirl, Grady White, Shamrock

It has been an adventure and am looking forward to the next couple of years. Should prove to be interesting.

very nice list you have there...:thumbsup my ? is do you have enough buisness for 2 trucks?..

dougiebear111

Reaction score
very nice list you have there...:thumbsup my ? is do you have enough buisness for 2 trucks?..
Thanks, The biz is right on the edge of possibly needing some help. Problem is, with the quality of peeps out there, I'm not sure they would do it like I do. Most of my work is repeat customers and referrals from existing customers. I consider every customer a friend and treat them as such. Not sure an employee would give the same treatment. I know at some point I am going to have to pull the trigger on that, but for now I am still doing it myself.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Thanks, The biz is right on the edge of possibly needing some help. Problem is, with the quality of peeps out there, I'm not sure they would do it like I do. Most of my work is repeat customers and referrals from existing customers. I consider every customer a friend and treat them as such. Not sure an employee would give the same treatment. I know at some point I am going to have to pull the trigger on that, but for now I am still doing it myself.

ok, fair enough....you would need to find someone who thinks the same way and would treat the tow as if it were there own.imo..:thumbsup:D thanks and keep up the good work and pics also..:D

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score
Cool thread!

Thanks for taking care of my Daytona Doug. It's in Dustin's shop and depending on what needs fixing and what I decide to do you will be pulling it back in a month or three...

Doug is the man for this stuff.. Super cool and responsive.

Sent from Tappy Tap while I'm probably sittin on the can

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score

What up Holmes Skillet? Nice talking to you yesterday and glad everything is going well for you guys. Remember if you need any help with anything out in the the good'ole I.E. let me know. :D
PS Save room in your yard for my Boat next year!

dougiebear111

Reaction score
I got a call from Wade at Cowboys RV Mart Tuesday night. He needed a boat taken to an exporter in Compton Ca.. I was more than happy to help him out. This 27' Crownline is on it's way to Singapore. Apparently the guy in Singapore buys alot of U.S. boats, ships them overseas and resales them. Must be a market for it.

27' criwnline.jpg

sammiee115

Reaction score

18 Mastercraft
17 Hallett
16 Howard
12 Cobra
11 DCB
8 Eliminator
6 Hurricane
4 Donzi, Bayliner

I have got some pictures of some of your tows you haven't got up here and some really good ones of the Turd Biscuit if you want them. :) I think even some of the old HTM, maybe.

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Yet another happy "new boat owner". Horizon Motorsports of Lake Havasu sold this bad-ass Cougar with a 300 Merc hanging off the back to a guy in Michigan. Found out this guy has like 3 other Cougars of various lengths and power. So I guess this is just added to the stable. I met the new owner in Elkhart Indiana as I had a Sanpan Tri-toon to bring back to Horizon Motorsports. I met the guy at the Hurricane Factory as they also build pontoon and tri-toons. You know, people sure look at you funny when its 20 degrees outside and you get out of the truck in shorts and t-shirt (Havasu attire). Yeah I was fricking freezing. I had to wear a sweatshirt and everything. Hahaha. Great trip looking foward to the next one.

Cougar.jpg

Sanpan 25 tri-toon.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Cool update. Safe and prosperous travels to you !

jack14r

Reaction score
Doug,I heard that you had a bad wreck from Preston,great to hear that you are going wide open again.

CANUCK007

Reaction score
Hey Doug.saw ur post originally and thought u got my dream job.was gonna tell u i know Rob Blair and Preston.Now i see you are hauling my old boat to a happy new owner.i hope your trips are safe and look after that baby!!!

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Hey Doug.saw ur post originally and thought u got my dream job.was gonna tell u i know Rob Blair and Preston.Now i see you are hauling my old boat to a happy new owner.i hope your trips are safe and look after that baby!!!

Your baby is safe in the hands of the new owner. That is a really cool boat. Preston said it goes just over 100 mph, sounds like a good time to me. Dream Job, I can honestly tell you that this job is fantastic. As a boater myself, I have gotten to see most of the lakes on my bucket list. So far my favorites are Lake Powell and Lake Coeur d'Lane in Idaho. You just can't beat boat people. I have not yet run into someone who I would not spend a day out on the water with.

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Doug,I heard that you had a bad wreck from Preston,great to hear that you are going wide open again.

Hey Jack, good to hear from you. Yeah, I rolled my truck and suffered a broken back and sternum. Was hospitalized for 4 days. No surgery, thankfully. Laid on my ass at home for 6 weeks in a neck brace and back brace. Doctor cleared me, and have been going ever since. I think I have already done around 100k since going back to work. I now live in Lake Havasu City, so when you get out hear, be sure to call. Talk to you soon.

jack14r

Reaction score
Thanks,Doug hopefully I will need another boat some day and we will meet again.I might come to LHC in January as I might be in Vegas with my wife for a (UPHA) horse awards banquet.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
That M35 is awesome Doug. I think this is the same boat?.:thumbsup

017.jpg

dougiebear111

Reaction score
So Dave (DCB) calls and lets me know this F-29 needs to get to Havasu from Longview Texas. So I jump in the truck, got to Quanah Tx. (yes Quanah) about midnight and the left front wheel bearing burns up. Sleep in a truck repair parking lot. In the AM I got sent to a tiny little shop about 1 mile down the road. Garza's Repair. This guy was the nicest and most fair auto repair shop owner I have ever met. He put all of his appointment customers on hold and went right to work on my truck. Of course the bearing was welded to the spindle and ruined the spindle. In a town of just over 2000 people a spindle was now where to be found. He called a junk yard in Wichita Falls (about 80 miles away) they had 3. They had to pull it off and then get it to Garza's. It took all day, I also had him replace the right bearings as a precaution. Finally got out of there for just over $500.00 and blasted to Longview. Got there about 10:30, the guys wife lets me in the gate, I hook up and am gone. Got home to LHC about 1:00 AM today. Put boat in storage.

This is the F29 with the 1350 HP package. It is currently FOR SALE, call Dave for details.

F-29 2.jpg

F-29 1.jpg

PokerRun388

Reaction score
So Dave (DCB) calls and lets me know this F-29 needs to get to Havasu from Longview Texas. So I jump in the truck, got to Quanah Tx. (yes Quanah) about midnight and the left front wheel bearing burns up. Sleep in a truck repair parking lot. In the AM I got sent to a tiny little shop about 1 mile down the road. Garza's Repair. This guy was the nicest and most fair auto repair shop owner I have ever met. He put all of his appointment customers on hold and went right to work on my truck. Of course the bearing was welded to the spindle and ruined the spindle. In a town of just over 2000 people a spindle was now where to be found. He called a junk yard in Wichita Falls (about 80 miles away) they had 3. They had to pull it off and then get it to Garza's. It took all day, I also had him replace the right bearings as a precaution. Finally got out of there for just over $500.00 and blasted to Longview. Got there about 10:30, the guys wife lets me in the gate, I hook up and am gone. Got home to LHC about 1:00 AM today. Put boat in storage.

This is the F29 with the 1350 HP package. It is currently FOR SALE, call Dave for details.

View attachment 239991

View attachment 239990

Thats a sweet single F29 Doug. I remember seeing it at the LHC boat show last April.:thumbsup

I wonder why he's selling it so soon?

dougiebear111

Reaction score
This 30' Daytona got delivered to a guy in Yukon OK. He wanted this boat so bad that he waited till 2:00 AM for me to show up. He even had a neighbor with him. He was like a little kid on Christmas. In his barn he was working on the bottom of an old Chris-Craft. More work than I would attempt. He currently has his '03 27' Scarab for sale. Looked to be pretty clean.

30 Daytona.jpg

Then up to Elkhart to pick up another Hurricane for Horizon Motorsports

18' hurricane.jpg

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
Great pictures and stories Doug. How many miles are on your truck? Any major issues? Auto or stick?

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Great pictures and stories Doug. How many miles are on your truck? Any major issues? Auto or stick?

I have about 280k. It is a 6-speed manual and I love it. No issues at all. Just the routine wear stuff, Alt, water pump, wheel bearings, ect. My last one was pushing 400k before it went upside down and did not want to play anymore. It was running better than when I got it.