Reaction score

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Throwback to 1964.

Spico Boats Ad 1964 small.jpg

DC-88

Reaction score
Went out a few mornings ago with the boys and someone took a vid when I happened to be the one skiing that got posted somewhere and sent to me . Just my 2nd time in a wrap but a friend just gave me one of my own and some rope so it’s time to make the switch

Romans9

Reaction score
My buddy in high school had a 1970‘s Arrow Glass Cheetah.

We wore that poor boat out.
It would pull a skier 25-27 mph with a full boat.
Took many friends out on that boat.
Lots of girls in bikinis that we grew up with and saw them like that for the first time.
Gave me a different appreciation for “boating” as a teenager.

I guarantee we had more fun with that boat than I will with a twin engine 100 mph boat today.

One just like this;

IMG_3513.png

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So long ago, after I bought my MasterCraft, I couldn’t afford a waterski, the guys at the shop taught me to barefoot. Once I got a ski, I was being towed on some short lines and throwing some nice sprays out around the buoys.

I have not waterskied for years, but been talking about getting after it maybe at one of our lake powell trips this summer.
🤔

I think I am gonna need to try a bigger ski!

Hammer

Reaction score
So long ago, after I bought my MasterCraft, I couldn’t afford a waterski, the guys at the shop taught me to barefoot. Once I got a ski, I was being towed on some short lines and throwing some nice sprays out around the buoys.

I have not waterskied for years, but been talking about getting after it maybe at one of our lake powell trips this summer.
🤔

I think I am gonna need to try a bigger ski!
Connelly Big Daddy for the win!

draggin904

Reaction score
Do you guys kinda miss the older days? i know i do.. i was seventeen and a water ski instructor on the Columbia river in Pasco WA. Got all the gas I could burn in a 1973 tahiti with a 80hp merc. and only worked till 1 pm.. chicks..DANG!

Roosky01

Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter wants to get into it. We are snow skiers, but I know it probably doesn't translate one bit. I don't even know where to start? :(

draggin904

Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter wants to get into it. We are snow skiers, but I know it probably doesn't translate one bit. I don't even know where to start? :(
We have grown up snow skiing as well growing up in Washington...have always loved both , but growing up on
the Colombia River and having access at any time when i was a kid was so cool. I would encourage you guys to take the leap and start water skiing.. Its so fun and such a cool family thing..

4Waters

Reaction score
Single with a training rope is the way to go. I learned at 11 on doubles and hated it, so much so that I didn't even try to ski again for 9 years and I skipped doubles and went straight to a single and never looked back.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Lake Perris Monday. I’ll be back with a better photo before summers end. It’s tough getting a good shot when you’re the guy who takes the pics. I had a boater safety card ready to go, but they didn’t ask for it.

IMG_4986.jpeg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Lake Perris Monday. I’ll be back with a better photo before summers end. It’s tough getting a good shot when you’re the guy who takes the pics. I had a boater safety card ready to go, but they didn’t ask for it.

View attachment 1407580
According to the website they start asking in 2025.

Unfortunately we’re going to Perris Saturday but not early enough to ski.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
According to the website they start asking in 2025.

Unfortunately we’re going to Perris Saturday but not early enough to ski.

We were there at 10:00 am sharp and the water was far from good ski water. Hugging the damn is your only hope. I’m sure you know that. My wife’s 80 year old Dad was bad ass on the tube. 😂

I don’t think I would brave a weekend day. 😳😂

546A4896.jpeg

poncho

Reaction score
We have grown up snow skiing as well growing up in Washington...have always loved both , but growing up on
the Colombia River and having access at any time when i was a kid was so cool. I would encourage you guys to take the leap and start water skiing.. Its so fun and such a cool family thing..
Skiied the Columbia with my family from Crescent Bar to Chelan Falls and everything in between, pretty much find glass water somewhere. 👍

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I need one of the Connely wide body skis to get my fat ass out of the water.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

Had a 62 Spico shared with my Dad for many years. Tried to get it back several years ago.
I was working for an engine builder out of High School and built a decent motor for it. That boat would scare people and it really wasn't anything special.
People thought they were going 100 mph because the engine was screaming just a couple feet away. Likely more like 70. It had a Velvet Drive which made it easy to maneuver coming to shore or the fuel dock.

Skied behind that boat countless times and even my Dad took the handles (old school) a few times.

This pic on the Parker Strip in front of Echo one year after the flood.
1722881747473.png

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
I need one of the Connely wide body skis to get my fat ass out of the water.
x2 - I tried to get up 5 times at Mead behind my 30 and couldn't do it on my HO TX. I was pissed. I got out of the water but needed to hold on another 10 seconds and couldn't do it. I have been working out for a month and a half to be able to ski on a regular slalom...

I'm sure I need to work on my technique though. It used to be easy...

cofooter

Reaction score
x2 - I tried to get up 5 times at Mead behind my 30 and couldn't do it on my HO TX. I was pissed. I got out of the water but needed to hold on another 10 seconds and couldn't do it. I have been working out for a month and a half to be able to ski on a regular slalom...
try
If you're letting your arms out at all coming out of the water, the boat will pull you over and out the front. Chest proud, handle to your sternum, and ski almost vertical til you begin to plane. I get up easiest by dragging my back foot /leg until I'm planing, seems to stabilize while also providing more surface area for planing out. Also could be to slow/fast. Good luck next time.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Had a 62 Spico shared with my Dad for many years. Tried to get it back several years ago.
I was working for an engine builder out of High School and built a decent motor for it. That boat would scare people and it really wasn't anything special.
People thought they were going 100 mph because the engine was screaming just a couple feet away. Likely more like 70. It had a Velvet Drive which made it easy to maneuver coming to shore or the fuel dock.

Skied behind that boat countless times and even my Dad took the handles (old school) a few times.

This pic on the Parker Strip in front of Echo one year after the flood.
View attachment 1412778

Bad ass little ski boat!! 😎

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

I feel like a hot start helps me.

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
Anybody have info on this... what year? Dick Pope Jr?
20240805_131133.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
If you're letting your arms out at all coming out of the water, the boat will pull you over and out the front. Chest proud, handle to your sternum, and ski almost vertical til you begin to plane. I get up easiest by dragging my back foot /leg until I'm planing, seems to stabilize while also providing more surface area for planing out. Also could be to slow/fast. Good luck next time.

I have always skied hands out front starting, knees bent, rear heel to my butt.. I wasn't getting pulled over the front.... I tried dragging my back leg once, the TX I have is a double binding, not able to do that with this ski.....
I feel like a hot start helps me.

I think I just need to lose more weight. I can get up on a big daddy.

Last edited: