WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck into crowd at Glamis drags

77charger

Reaction score
And I’m pretty sure it was the 90s.
think it was 2001-2002 it started.2000 it got out of control.i know we were there in 2000 but always came in thru dunes and parked on the outside parts never attemted to drive thru crowd

69hondo

Reaction score
Been going to Glamis all my life and take my kids there now. I stay away from holidays. Its just like the river on Memorial day out of control.
Glamis is crazy but you should of seen it in the early 2000s. Like somene else said if you stay away from the popular ares its great.

sirbob

Reaction score
I haven't been to Glamis in years but some of my favorite trips were in the summer. It was empty and we would ride all night and early morning then sleep during the heat of the day.

Loved it.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I haven't been to Glamis in years but some of my favorite trips were in the summer. It was empty and we would ride all night and early morning then sleep during the heat of the day.

Loved it.
I think it was 96ish...I had just got my JSC running with a 1641 dp and single weber, old bus trans with boxes and axles changed out and trashed used paddles...we got real creative, loaded 2 buggies, chassis resting on 2x4 across front beam, on a borrowed single car hauler. Me, my friend, and his dad...so we had a motorhome with AC. It was late June, but full moon. One other group of fools, no rangers...all ours. It was my first time driving a rail, probably only my 4th or 5th time to Glamis. Simple times, good times. I quit going about 2000. Buddies built long travel rockets, I bought a house. I was jealous for a long time, missed going. Really happy with the choice now. I can build another buggy, would have had a hell of a time starting with a house later. Besides, sounds like it just got worse with credit commandos and general pricks.

nrbr

Reaction score
People are digging trenches to cause crashes and fight the occupants? First I've ever heard of that. Why????

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
think it was 2001-2002 it started.2000 it got out of control.i know we were there in 2000 but always came in thru dunes and parked on the outside parts never attemted to drive thru crowd
I originally posted that I thought it was late 90s or so but early 2000s sounds about right. It was about the same time the LEOs stopped each tow vehicle near the canal to check registration/green stickers on your OHVs before you even reached the dunes.
Same spot I first saw the sign saying Comp closed Fri&Sat nights.:eek:

wallnutz

Reaction score
7358144F-9ED0-4C09-B3F2-BF41FC8780E8.jpeg
756663F2-741B-4141-B8D8-FAA54BA3924F.jpeg
We go every big holiday weekend, it’s really the only time our family and friends can go at the same time. I actually enjoy the shit show, it can be really entertaining at times. You just have to be ready for the stupidity and have an exit strategy. We were there from Wednesday through Sunday this weekend. We could go duning and only see one or two groups, we were also able to find some virgin sand. It was packed, camping was a little interesting . We were packed in like sardines, the kids were calling it the rv canyons. If I knew how to compress a video I could show how tight the rv’s were parked. As always I didn’t take pictures.

spark2678

Reaction score
Glamis 1.jpg
Glamis 2.jpg
Glamis 3.jpg
Glamis 4.jpg
Glamis 5.jpg
Glamis 6.jpg
Glamis 7.jpg
Glamis 8.jpg
Glamis 9.jpg
Glamis 9.jpg
Glamis 11.jpg
glamis 12.jpg
Glamis 13.jpg
Glamis 14.jpg
Glamis 15.jpg
We used to go on off weekend before kids. Tougher now with kids that are in school so we make do. We stay away form the drags and when we go to Olds we never shoot the hill, just watch the craziness from a distance. Less than 5% make the bad apples. If you use common sense and are smart, you can still have a great time. Here are a few pics from Wed-Sunday. Stayed on Gecko Lower Loop about 7 rigs. Saw Robby Gordon Saturday launching huge off the top of Olds and also at the Ledge.

Last edited:

spark2678

Reaction score
I have a few videos of RG but they are .mov files and RD won't let it load.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have a few videos of RG but they are .mov files and RD won't let it load.

We don’t host video on here (yet) it’s one of the things I’m looking into. You currently have to upload to YouTube and just post the link and it will automatically show up.

getch

Reaction score
Man some of you guys make Glamis sound horrible, but imo its no different than the river. Holidays are going to be busy and more dangerous, off weekends are no different than any weekend that would be had at the river, and off season is the best if you can stand the heat. Olds is no different than going to copper canyon, the channel, or the sandbar and just people watching. The crowds are all avoidable, just like site 6 is avoidable.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Man some of you guys make Glamis sound horrible, but imo its no different than the river. Holidays are going to be busy and more dangerous, off weekends are no different than any weekend that would be had at the river, and off season is the best if you can stand the heat. Olds is no different than going to copper canyon, the channel, or the sandbar and just people watching. The crowds are all avoidable, just like site 6 is avoidable.

Until the idiots in the crowd cause enough chaos that results in these areas being closed down and ruining it all for those who don’t partake in the madness....

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
People are digging trenches to cause crashes and fight the occupants? First I've ever heard of that. Why????
I'm gonna have to go through my garage but I'm almost positive I still have the old sandsluts/ glamis gone wild DVDs that showed this. Lol

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Mototrig

Reaction score
It was reccless abandoned back then. Trenches were dug and gasoline was soaked into the trench. Then when the vehicles would get stuck the trench AND the vehicle were set ablaze. Completely inhumane people with complete disregard for respect. It's not like that anymore. And if stuff like that happened today the people causing it would likely get beat down by REAL dunner's.

wayniac

Reaction score
I remember hearing a story of another truck getting stuck in dug out trench, where a crowd pulled occupants out and then lit it on fire.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Crazy stuff. I came down comp, and when I got to the bottom, they had already rolled a truck with paper plates and lit it on fire, and there was a guy next to it that had pulled out a gun and was shooting it. It was a lot more fun, when we would ride around comp with topless chicks on the back...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Crazy stuff. I came down comp, and when I got to the bottom, they had already rolled a truck with paper plates and lit it on fire, and there was a guy next to it that had pulled out a gun and was shooting it. It was a lot more fun, when we would ride around comp with topless chicks on the back...

My and my pal coobie, used my truck, to pull a stuck motorhome out of the washes. As we were driving away, all the girls in the group pulled up their tops and flashed us! SOP back then. ;)

I've been to glamis too many time to count, but I've been to the drags only once, and Olds maybe two or three times, and only when it was empty. Kinna like the channel, I've only been there once I can remember, and I've been to the river, well hell...

I'm 61 now and have been going since I was 16.

Everything in life, is what you make it to be!

D19

Reaction score
In my opinion there's a lot more idiots at the river/lake than at the dunes. You can learn/ try to avoid them or you stay home where your safe.

At the end of the day, I feel safer in the sand/dirt or on the water than I do at a major sporting event or amusement park where I'm likely to get shot nowadays.

Defiantly praying for those involved in the wrecks this past weekend.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Dunes and river are about the same...Some people have more money than brains. I was always of the belief that 5% of humanity are useless. Some days it feels like 70%, but I digress... Anytime you have a large amount of people, 5% turns into a large number. Think about it, 1 in 20....20,000 people now means a 1,000 idiots! Of that, there are bound to be the very best, of the bottom of the barrel. May help explain why I moved from an area of high population, and avoid crowded weekends anywhere. It's one thing to look out for yourself, another entirely when you have a family. Besides, river is nicer with less people, just like the sand used to be.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Funny I was just talking to ole rd about it last nignt

If I go I'll just go and camp out.. I don't think I'd bring my Ranger out etc.. I don't think it would do well in the sand, and I really don't feel like going and buying helmets and all the other crap you need to offroad there.

RD

Backlash

Reaction score
Intentionally avoided sand sports for lack of FU money. We've always spent our free time and money at the river (Which we love!). I'm afraid I couldn't afford another expensive hobby! :D

Always wanted an old school Mazzone car with a decent amount of power just to cruise around. I'm easy and easily entertained.

So what ever happened to the folks who were injured in this ordeal? Any updates on their condition or what happened with the driver?

Icky

Reaction score
If I go I'll just go and camp out.. I don't think I'd bring my Ranger out etc.. I don't think it would do well in the sand, and I really don't feel like going and buying helmets and all the other crap you need to offroad there.

RD
Just need helmets and goggles. Lower your air pressure, a good leader and a heavy foot and you'll be fine. You can hit all the spots as long as you take the right routes to get there.

From the washes there's a mellow route straight to olds going straight out from 2-4. From gecko there's a mellow route to the flag pole and swing set. From there China is easy to make and will dump u back out in the washes about wash 24-26

wallnutz

Reaction score

RD
If I don't sell my car, you have a seat at least for a few rides.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Same Dave you have a seat with me too. Mamma and kiddo can’t ride yet

wayniac

Reaction score
Intentionally avoided sand sports for lack of FU money. We've always spent our free time and money at the river (Which we love!). I'm afraid I couldn't afford another expensive hobby! :D

Always wanted an old school Mazzone car with a decent amount of power just to cruise around. I'm easy and easily entertained.

So what ever happened to the folks who were injured in this ordeal? Any updates on their condition or what happened with the driver?

It looks like everyone else is going to be ok based on that instagram post. The family was from out of state.

https://www.gofundme.com/sand-drags-accident

the 3 people that died were from a road accident in ocotillo on sat night.

As for mazzone cars. they are great. spent a few years of trips out there with the man. He built a great car, and was a hell of a driver... It was a sad deal when he died in the plane crash.

Wayne

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've only been to Glamis once and fractured my wrist going down China wall at like 60mph on my banshee (whoops at the bottom were not my friend).

Just playing devils advocate here - What's so wrong about "ghost camping"? First come first serve right? Isn't Glamis like GIANT with endless sand to camp on? Is it just everyone wants to be all crammed in at the cool spot or what? Don't get me wrong, I don't do it. I don't know anyone that does it. Just curious.

Fuck big weekends in the sand or at the lake. I learned a few years back, amateur weekends are no fun, too many idots.

I do like how some posters on here are like, "too many cops" and others are like, "not enough enforcement". LOL Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The rule is campsite must be occupied and a max of 30’ - 15’ front 15’ behind your rig may be held. If you can get your RV door open is all that you are allowed on your flanks.

Pad 2.5 is 10 acres and one guy had it entirely taped off two weeks before Thanksgiving. A dozen other HUGE locations along Gecko and the loops were entirely taped off too.

No place left to camp. Gigantic sections sit there empty for weeks.

Some people never leave. Their unoccupied shit sits there all season long holding space, fucking a lot of people that are following the first come first served rules.

Camping space is extreme limited.
Annual pass was $120 last I bought one.

DUMONT dunes camping is wide open and no trouble at all.
That’s why we go to DUMONT.

Last edited:

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
The rule is campsite must be occupied and a max of 30’ - 15’ front 15’ behind your rig may be held. If you can get your RV door open is all that you are allowed on your flanks.

Pad 2.5 is 10 acres and one guy had it entirely taped off two weeks before Thanksgiving. A dozen other HUGE locations along Gecko and the loops were entirely taped off too.

Some people never leave. Their unoccupied shit sits there all season long holding space, fucking a lot of people that arefollowing the rules.

Pull yer rig right in there through all the tape and set up shop. When the guy comes over talking shit, tell him to call the rangers and let him complain that he had that space saved and you parked there! LOL

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Has anyone been out to the tubes? I think it's part of the closed area now. What about the water fountain or the tank graveyard? Anyone been to the hot springs on the bombing range? Anyone ski the aquaduct? Glamis used to have some really cool things to do back in the day.the

D19

Reaction score

Some people never leave. Their unoccupied shit sits there all season long holding space, fucking a lot of people that arefollowing the rules.

I know people that do this and did it for this past weekend.

They all put there stuff out 1-2 weeks early then take turns guarding the pad. They’ll have few plus rigs on the pad and 1 person sleep there each night til the big weekend.

I wonder how they find the time to orchestrate all that.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Has anyone been out to the tubes? I think it's part of the closed area now. What about the water fountain or the tank graveyard? Anyone been to the hot springs on the bombing range? Anyone ski the aquaduct? Glamis used to have some really cool things to do back in the day.the
I saw Murphy ski the canal once.

Reactions: TPC

4Waters

Reaction score

It was said earlier, Dumont is closed :D

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I started going to Glamis in the mid eighties with my ex wife.
We were coming home from Boardman Ville one night but couldn't find that wash you could ride under.
Found a VW sand rail that it looked like it was hit by a train.
Ran back to the '78 Winnebago and grabbed the 35mm.
Took a couple photos. Went back the next morning and the rail was gone.
The next year we took a framed pic to the woman who ran the bar. She said she had cut the driver off that night so he had a friend buy a sixer to go. They went down to the train tracks and drove the buggy on them. A train came and they couldn't get the car off so it got kicked like a football.
The dude went back the next morning and picked up the buggy and sat behind the bar for the rest of the weekend drowning his sorrow with said buggy on trailer behind his camper.
She said she asked him if he learned anything and he replied "Yes I did, NEXT YEAR IM BRINGING TWO BUGGIES!"

I think my picture hung on the wall by the pool table until they closed in around 2009?

cofooter

Reaction score
I saw Murphy ski the canal once.

MY BIL used to kneeboard in the canal behind a sand rail back in the day, til one time he hit a rope going across the canal, caught him in the gut and took him out. Think that was the last time.

TCHB

Reaction score

RD
Dave if you want to go out for the day give me a yell. I will show you around Glamis. It only takes a couple hours to get there from Havasu.

Helmets are a good thing Dave.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I would do a day trip from Havasu. It makes for a nice day - get plenty of miles in and be home for dinner. I have a buddy that owns and runs the storage concessions. He is pretty fun to follow around.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
6D3A2749-D81E-4A4E-80F4-EA719DB26764.jpeg
Dunno of this pic has been posted - (not gettin pix on my phone) but here’s the guy that was driving the truck just after he hit the crowd and came to a stop.

Reported by members on Glamis dunes he was arrested then released. Evidently blew a zero but this is all people posting, nothing official from the LEOs that I’ve found yet.
May be more info out there.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
View attachment 705301 Dunno of this pic has been posted - (not gettin pix on my phone) but here’s the guy that was driving the truck just after he hit the crowd and came to a stop.

Reported by members on Glamis dunes he was arrested then released. Evidently blew a zero but this is all people posting, nothing official from the LEOs that I’ve found yet.

I have seen something similar, blew zeros and there was a mech failure to the vehicle. Still should have gotten out of the gas way sooner than he did.

wayniac

Reaction score

Its been a lot of years since ive been to glamis, but a ton of my friends still go. My friends still camp on pad 2.5 and I actually spent 17 days once to watch the groups stuff. Never less than 3 of us there had to commute 2 days back for work.. Anyways in that amout of time you find a lot of things. Not sure of the tank graveyard, but there is a graveyard across the street from the glamis store. The hot springs are great too.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...827b5d4692263!8m2!3d32.9513313!4d-115.2844441

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Those places are all closed now. Nothing to see here. Move along citizens...

Mototrig

Reaction score
View attachment 705301 Dunno of this pic has been posted - (not gettin pix on my phone) but here’s the guy that was driving the truck just after he hit the crowd and came to a stop.

If you're correct and this picture was taken AFTER he went into the crowd then it blows my mind that he would have a smile on his face even for a moment while knowing that he's hurt people in the crowd.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
J
If you're correct and this picture was taken AFTER he went into the crowd then it blows my mind that he would have a smile on his face even for a moment while knowing that he's hurt people in the crowd.
Thats what is also pissing people off.
Haven’t yet got any more info on the guy.
No LEO report yet as of yesterday

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score

You sure that wasn’t before he went into the crowd? Looks to me as though that whole “after the accident” deal may be a little far fetched internet story going on... as if that ever happens. Looks like someone is giving him the horns or maybe the shocker. Don’t really see someone doing that after he plows into a bunch of people either. Always a lot of speculation in a situation like this, myself included.

Reactions: TPC