WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Titanic Tour Submarine Missing.

rrrr

Reaction score
I read that the mission had some "issues" and were trying to come back up when the tragedy occurred. I imagine the carbon fiber was making some disturbing noises? Is there a transcript of the last communications with the vessel?
There weren't voice communications between the sub and surface. Water doesn't reliably conduct radio waves. Information transmission was limited to a numbered list of generic phrases, and by generating a code of sorts with pulses of sound, the desired message could be sent and received.

There has been no confirmation "OH SHIT!" was one of the choices available.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
358049140_10160673797499931_925114368422818681_n.jpg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I read that the mission had some "issues" and were trying to come back up when the tragedy occurred. I imagine the carbon fiber was making some disturbing noises? Is there a transcript of the last communications with the vessel?

Yeah, James Cameron is pretty convinced that the Carbon Fiber was coming apart and the passengers knew what was going on by the noises it was making.

hallett21

Reaction score
Doesn’t make sense that they are communicating in full sentences at 700+ ft.

Only way to do that is through Morse code with sonar. Unless there’s another way?

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Doesn’t make sense that they are communicating in full sentences at 700+ ft.

Only way to do that is through Morse code with sonar. Unless there’s another way?
I watched the James Cameron voyager deep documentary and he was communication with the mother ship at 35K down.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
With the crazy fast descent rate and the fact that they couldn't ascend when they tried makes me wonder if there was a leak or something in the rear controls compartment and it took on water from the beginning?
The sub wasn't very large and you would think within 20-30 min of being submerged you could tell there was water in the cavity. Assuming the transcripts are real, then perhaps they were overweight with occupants and gear causing them to descend at a faster rate and then not being able to ascend at the same rate...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I believe the Tik Tok transcript from a Pakistani source has NOT been validated. But, by the way the commentator speaks, he leads you to believe his time line suppositions are facts. Potentially very misleading.
The commentator stated many times in the video that his comments are assumptions based upon the un-verified transcripts. If someone is mis-led then they are only partially listening or watching the video.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The commentator stated many times in the video that his comments are assumptions based upon the un-verified transcripts. If someone is mis-led then they are only partially listening or watching the video.
Partially listening or watching is likely the unfortunate norm for many.

Here's a video on the DSV incidents dating back to 1960. Note, it does not include military submarines. Entanglement seems to be the most common incident.

FWIW, deep submergence exploration has become the playground of some of the super rich. Paul Allen, one of the founders of MicroSoft, did it very well with his S/V Petrel. I believe Petrel used a state of the art ROV? The Petrel's list of findings is very impressive. Allen passed in 2018. In 2020 the Petrel ceased operations and was laid up in Leith Scotland, near Edinburgh. It was purchased by the US Navy. Recently, about 6 weeks ago, it rolled about 45 degrees onto its side while in drydock in Leith. There were injuries. I don't know the cause of the accident.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

Looks like the transcript video with commentary may have been taken down. I did find this, as posted 7 hours ago. It is the preface to the video, now without commentary, of the alledged 'actual transcript'. The first sentence pretty much speaks for itself. Although, nothing has been validated. IMO - it remains misleading.

IMG_1426.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
Very interesting .... so my take away was basically a quick way to go.
Yeah. And this demo was actually child's play compared to an implosion in actual ocean pressure. Not only is the pressure greater, but the pressure is relentless. The hydraulic ram can't maintain the same pressure after the "break" and throughout the whole implosion, and also there's only a limited amount of "extra" water in the system in this test that can fill the void once it implodes. In the ocean, there is an unlimited amount of water.

In other words, in the demo, once the carbon cracked and extra space opened up, the water rushes to fill it in, but they're only so much water in the system and the pressure tapers off immediately after implosion since it can't be pumped in fast enough by that hydraulic pump to maintain the same pressure during the few miliseconds that the pressure is dropping and the thing is imploding. In the ocean, the pressure never tapers off and it'd be an even more violent implosion. Not sure if that makes sense?

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Interesting to note, perhaps the most famous oceanographer of our times was Jacque Cousteau. He did invent SCUBA. When it came to ocean exploration, it really wasn’t the deep ocean. Most remember his surface vessel, the Calypso. But, how many recall his submarine, Denise. That sub’s depth limit was only 1,300 feet. He likely successfully sold more of his explorations, thru National Geographic Society etc, than even Cameron or Ballard. Manned DSVs - The Mariana’s Trench/Challenger Deep was first visited by man in 1960. They used a full titanium sphere to house the people, much like the numerous, successful Deep Submergence Vessels of today. What has advanced tremendously is ROV (tethered) and AUV (untethered) capabilities. Each are unmanned and keep people out of harms way. 58 years separate the Wright Brothers first flight from the first manned space flight, 1903-61. Yet, 63 years separate man first visiting the deepest part of the ocean from today’s deep water explorations, 1960-2023. Much of the deep water methods remain the same.

How many realize even most modern day torpedoes are a sort of ROV? They are ‘wire guided’ (tethered). There are MANY thousands of miles of that tiny wire laying about on the ocean bottoms.

How did the victims of the Titan perish? It’s somewhat like coming upon a charred, totally demolished, 5 person, solo vehicle wreck, in the middle of the desert. What was the actual cause of their deaths?

DSV regulation. It is an industry which, prior to OceanGate, had successfully self regulated for many years. They bring in expert ‘classification societies’. A fancy term for expert regulatory organizations. Not typically the USCG. Although the USCG may have some jurisdiction over the surface support ship, I do not believe they deal with submersibles. Perhaps the near surface subs which carry passengers for hire?

May the victims of the Titan, R.I.P. Given time, most, if not all of the current questions and speculations will be answered. The international deep submergence community will demand it.
Well I'll be damned.... wire guided torpedoes... never heard that.

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
I would assume there is a black box recording of the events attached to the vehicle, including internal voice recording?

My morbid curiosity wants to hear those recordings. I still think this event happened slower than the common belief. I would bet that the occupants were aware that something was quite wrong in the final moments. (whether those moments were minutes or seconds is the variable)

wallnutz

Reaction score
Has it been determined what the depth was when it imploded? If it wasn't very deep the implosion would be much different than it would be at maximum depth.
If it wasn't to deep it might have just started leaking and slowly filled up making it impossible to go back up.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yeah. And this demo was actually child's play compared to an implosion in actual ocean pressure. Not only is the pressure greater, but the pressure is relentless. The hydraulic ram can't maintain the same pressure after the "break" and throughout the whole implosion, and also there's only a limited amount of "extra" water in the system in this test that can fill the void once it implodes. In the ocean, there is an unlimited amount of water.

In other words, in the demo, once the carbon cracked and extra space opened up, the water rushes to fill it in, but they're only so much water in the system and the pressure tapers off immediately after implosion since it can't be pumped in fast enough by that hydraulic pump to maintain the same pressure during the few miliseconds that the pressure is dropping and the thing is imploding. In the ocean, the pressure never tapers off and it'd be an even more violent implosion. Not sure if that makes sense?
Makes sense to me. The pressure from outside tube/ submersible and inside will become equal very fast and seek neutral. Thus every piece of matter unable to withstand that pressure will be pulverized. Thats my take as a non scientist keyboard jockey.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yeah, James Cameron is pretty convinced that the Carbon Fiber was coming apart and the passengers knew what was going on by the noises it was making.
Yeah his ass needs to shut up and dribble right about now.... too soon.... he's just working his next movie concept. Sheesh. I don't truthfully care about dumb wealthy people wanting to risk their lives like this but dudes like Cameron need to be quiet just yet. Rant over thanks.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I believe all other prior and current successful manned deep submergence vessels have housed the people in full titanium spheres. With the ability to open and close them from the interior. The Titan was not that.

hallett21

Reaction score
Yeah his ass needs to shut up and dribble right about now.... too soon.... he's just working his next movie concept. Sheesh. I don't truthfully care about dumb wealthy people wanting to risk their lives like this but dudes like Cameron need to be quiet just yet. Rant over thanks.
He’s a pretty big deal in the deep submersible world.

Agreed there’s a time and place for public speculation (here included lol).

Boatles

Reaction score

James Cameron knows more about submersibles and deep diving than the CEO of the Death Sub ever did. His take on what happened is insightful

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Has it been determined what the depth was when it imploded? If it wasn't very deep the implosion would be much different than it would be at maximum depth.
If it wasn't to deep it might have just started leaking and slowly filled up making it impossible to go back up.
Trans script apparently says it was at 3,433m = 11,263ft. Descended way to fast then could not ascend back up. This guys explains it well.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Has Cameron made recent statements? I saw him interviewed early on along with Ballard. They were calm, clear and to the point. They didn’t seem to be ‘selling tickets’ to anything.

Believe neither Cameron nor Ballard need to gather and market “likes” on the Internet. That’s not the case with some others.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned.... wire guided torpedoes... never heard that.

Most wouldn’t know but before rdp I prototyped weapons of tomorrow today..

All the torpedos I worked on weren’t wire guided and that was 12 years ago.

One of my main projects was wing deployment kits for torpedos. What you could find online would be something similar to “long shot” but a lot more advanced.

RD

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

One of my main projects was wing deployment kits for torpedos. What you could find online would be something similar to “long shot” but a lot more advanced.

RD
I Google Wired Torpedoes before responding and boy did that take me down a rabbit hole for an hour. Torpedoes are cool apparently.

Boatles

Reaction score
"Titan sub only reached the depth of the Titanic on 13 out of 90 dives"

90 dives - with that many dives it was a ticking time bomb

"The Titan sub reached the depth of the Titanic wreck on 13 of 90 dives, per the passenger waiver.

This meant OceanGate's success rate might have been as low as 14% on its deep-sea expeditions.

The Titan failed a test dive in 2021, and other trips were scrapped in the three years prior."

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

RD

Some torpedos are wire guided and some aren’t. If interested, the info is there. Apparently, there is a very small quantity of valuable rare metal used in those tiny wires. There has to be many thousands of miles of that wire laying all over our oceans. There was once a guy trying to put together a plan to recover some of those. Don’t believe it ever happened.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
They all still dead, right?
But they will still be voting...

Some torpedos are wire guided and some aren’t. If interested, the info is there. Apparently, there is a very small quantity of valuable rare metal used in those tiny wires. There has to be many thousands of miles of that wire laying all over our oceans. There was once a guy trying to put together a plan to recover some of those. Don’t believe it ever happened.
I read somewhere that there were rare metals in the antennas used for the old nuke silos, and some were still left miles from the silos themselves. Big money apparently. It would make sense, being all developed during the cold war, that the same types of conductors would be used.
Torpedo research time.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
But they will still be voting...

I read somewhere that there were rare metals in the antennas used for the old nuke silos, and some were still left miles from the silos themselves. Big money apparently. It would make sense, being all developed during the cold war, that the same types of conductors would be used.
Torpedo research time.
The antenna I had from a missile site had no rare metals that I know of. My dad designed it and I was used in testing. Put under many many tons on ANFO and blown up to test it. They simulated nuclear explosion that way. I gave it to the March air base museum.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
The antenna I had from a missile site had no rare metals that I know of. My dad designed it and I was used in testing. Put under many many tons on ANFO and blown up to test it. They simulated nuclear explosion that way. I gave it to the March air base museum.
New meaning to "destructive testing"! That thing must be incredibly stout. Very cool that you had a personal link to it, and extremely cool you gave it to the museum.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
This event even gave a whole new meaning to a Sub Sandwich !
God rest there souls.😎