WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tighten your belts people...

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I saw the last recession coming in early 2006 and tried to prepare...it didn't matter, still lost everything. I see similar signs lately.

What steps did you take to try and prepare?

zhandfull

Reaction score
I'm thinking the dow needs a reset back to about 17k. You have to remember the fed/gov was pumping 80 billion a month into the market for several years, that's almost a trillion a year.
Yeah I'm thinking back to 17-18,000 in the next couple years. Sounds crazy but it's really not.
Look at Facebook it was on sale at 175.00 and now is down to $ 140.00

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Lizabeth..... It's the big one!!!
redd-foxx-5.jpg

Be smart... don't live beyond your means!!! diversify

it's a vicious cycle

HotRod82

Reaction score
Funny how some see the sky is falling, others (like me) see the first quarter of next year being phenomenal. Stock market isn't going anywhere with the jobs numbers being where they are.....I swear the biggest threat to the market is all the nervous nellies panicking every time the market dips 10 points.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
What steps did you take to try and prepare?
Business wise I stopped taking a paycheck in the fall of 2006 to try and keep as much money as I could in the business. Also tried to unload some of the things I had payments on.

EDIT: In hindsight this was a stupid decision. I worked for free for 18 months when I should of pulled money out of the company and closed it down a year earlier.

Last edited:

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Grads knows it all all when it comes to the economy. Grads, how did you do on that FB stock you bought at $178 range?

GRADS

Reaction score
what about your beloved Apple. Do you still own Apple
Yes we do and quite frankly I don't know what to do with it at this point.

GRADS

Reaction score
Grads knows it all all when it comes to the economy. Grads, how did you do on that FB stock you bought at $178 range?
I bought it at $175.63 and sold it at $163.33

GRADS

Reaction score
keep it, my money says they kill it over the holidays and report huge earrings. just my 2 cents
I hope you're right, we got a couple hundy tied up in it and this last month or two it has been hard to see it go down by 20-25%.

J.P.

Reaction score
At least apple pays a nice dividend as long as they are making money..

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No it’s not but that’s pretty much my only payment and my monthly payment is so low I could collect aluminum cans to pay it if I had to.

Good deal. Congrats.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I hope you're right, we got a couple hundy tied up in it and this last month or two it has been hard to see it go down by 20-25%.

Legit question -

Do you worry about having so much into a single company? If your wife still works there I’m sure she is getting ESPP which is why you have a lot of the stock. But a source of income and 1-2 years worth of salary tied up in a single company is something to think about.

On the other hand it is Apple.

I was in a similar situation at the last tech company I was at.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Grads, sell everything including your computers and close all your accounts including RDP and get the fuck out of here before it completely goes to shit man! I heard North Korea was awesome this time of year. I just worry about you buddy and don't want to see you go through this crap.

I see things leveling out quite a bit here already which is good. We watch the real estate market like a hawk and can already see it smoothing out. Of course many want to cut a fat hog on their home etc, but it's bad when it just keeps skyrocketing. We are looking for piece of land to build a home and we want to see prices level or drop a little for sure!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I’m no economist, but wasn’t the last recession due to defaults? People living paycheck to paycheck, getting the axe due to a slowing economy, then not paying their bills? I still see people living way beyond their means, but I don’t see unemployment nor a slowing economy. These people will continue to make the min payment, and go under when the economy slows, which hasn’t happened yet. Imo. Finding good help is extremely hard and expensive right now. Very low unemployment.

dribble

Reaction score
I made money in the last recession. Refinanced my house to a 2.75 percent interest rate and used my savings to load up on stocks when everyone else was selling. Bought sprint for $1.50 a share and Harley for $10.00 a share. Bought an almost new house in a short sale that originally sold for 560K. Paid 275K for it, rented it to my step son and his family for the payment and then took a write off for everything I bought for any home improvement for three years. Flipped that house when he moved out and netted 40K. Used some of that money to buy a one year old Harley for 12K less than it sold for new. Bring on the recession. In the next one, I will be buying some land and building a house with a shop when everyone else needs the work. The key to making money is to zig when everyone else zags.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Recession: a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters.

And your point is?

MSum661

Reaction score
Recession: a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters.

And your point is?

exactly.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It will be worse than 2008...

Thanks Obama!! ;)

GRADS

Reaction score
It will be worse than 2008...

Thanks Obama!! ;)
No shit, Trump takes credit for the prosperity but will somehow blame a recession on Obama. I can see it now.:rolleyes:

GRADS

Reaction score

And your point is?
Thanks for looking that up in the dictionary for everyone else.:rolleyes:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
So does that mean you are shorting Apple?

:confused:;)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The key to making money is to zig when everyone else zags.

Meh..... More importantly.... Being liquid enough to make that zig happen at the time it needs to happen.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

GRADS

Reaction score
So does that mean you are shorting Apple?

:confused:;)
I wish I would of sold a big portion of it 2 months ago...and the thing that kills me is I almost did.:mad:

Lost a little over 8K today alone. FUCK!

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
We're headed for a recession. Nothing like 2008 but it's coming.

Any proof or theory behind your statment. Not picking a keybord fight, just curious to hear you elaborate on your thoughts.

GRADS

Reaction score
Any proof or theory behind your statment. Not picking a keybord fight, just curious to hear you elaborate on your thoughts.
I try not to elaborate on anything.:D

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Obviously you are confusing the nads with someone that knows something of which he speaks... The nads is ALL about spewing his inane banter, just to make waves...

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Did you just call Grads a desperate housewife?

Obviously you are confusing the nads with someone that knows something of which he speaks... The nads is ALL about spewing his inane banter, just to make waves...

Dalton

Reaction score
I’m no economist, but wasn’t the last recession due to defaults? People living paycheck to paycheck, getting the axe due to a slowing economy, then not paying their bills? I still see people living way beyond their means, but I don’t see unemployment nor a slowing economy. These people will continue to make the min payment, and go under when the economy slows, which hasn’t happened yet. Imo. Finding good help is extremely hard and expensive right now. Very low unemployment.

bad mortgages also, in a book I read one instance or example was a mariachi singer getting a huge mortgage, his main proof of employment in the documents was a picture of him in a mariachi outfit.

GRADS

Reaction score
I just posted this thread so in a year from now I can say I told you so.:D

TCHB

Reaction score
I’m no economist, but wasn’t the last recession due to defaults? People living paycheck to paycheck, getting the axe due to a slowing economy, then not paying their bills? I still see people living way beyond their means, but I don’t see unemployment nor a slowing economy. These people will continue to make the min payment, and go under when the economy slows, which hasn’t happened yet. Imo. Finding good help is ext
bad mortgages also, in a book I read one instance or example was a mariachi singer getting a huge mortgage, his main proof of employment in the documents was a picture of him in a mariachi outfit.
Funny thing I was looking for a new RV and salesmen told me that 80% of all RV sales are financed for over 10 years. Here we go again?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Funny thing I was looking for a new RV and salesmen told me that 80% of all RV sales are financed for over 10 years. Here we go again?

But that is typical for RV's I'm sure they are mostly 15 yr and nothing new. The issue now would be that you cant write of trailers as 2nd homes and interest. Will see come tax time.

Reaction score
Only a few folks will be happy with their returns this year.

My home equity is the only category I saw positive gains. (20%)
It will be interesting to see where real estate is headed. If jobs stay strong, I imagine real estate will remain tight.

Our problems in the near future will be labor shortages. All trades have a lack of experienced employees, to scale up and train new employees? Labor problems are bottle necking our ability to grow the economy.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/stock-market-dow-futures-negative-as-tech-stocks-sink.html

Last edited:

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

But that is typical for RV's I'm sure they are mostly 15 yr and nothing new. The issue now would be that you cant write of trailers as 2nd homes and interest. Will see come tax time.

You can get them over 20yrs! Get a motorhome. You can write it off.

GRADS

Reaction score
Anybody looked at the stock market lately...it's coming...