WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The new 2024 Rivian SUV R1S - 390 mile range - 7700lbs tow package - 3 Feet of water.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I liked the Rivian truck until I actually saw one. This looks better

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Unbelievable! Up 50% in one week..

F83537CC-5DFA-4F11-9E68-66F37BD6882C.png

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Dude loves his Rivian, but the things he hates about it are pretty wild

Taboma

Reaction score
Serious question what is a 6 Handle main ??
Six breakers, so requiring a main ? I know my dad's house prior to us upgrading the main, only had five and as such hadn't required a main and there wasn't one.
Otherwise I'm not sure what he means by that term.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I’m in relatively early and cheap on a few EV, li-metal battery development and North American lithium mining stocks, except Rivian for which my averaged buy in is $17.80. I’m in positive territory (overall) at this point.

Like it or hate it, this is where the world will be 10 years from now so.. might as well try and make a buck ot two out of the transition.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I’m in relatively early and cheap on a few EV, li-metal battery development and North American lithium mining stocks, except Rivian for which my averaged buy in is $17.80. I’m in positive territory (overall) at this point.

Like it or hate it, this is where the world will be 10 years from now so.. might as well try and make a buck ot two out of the transition.
I’ve got some Rivian calls that are in the money now. I also started buying BLNK last month and got ChargePoint @ $9, and think they both some room to move up this year as well, beyond what the treasuries are doing.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Oh there is going to be money to be made. Keep an eye on Utilities, as they start to fail under the weight of electrification, start selling.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I’ve got some Rivian calls that are in the money now. I also started buying BLNK last month and got ChargePoint @ $9, and think they both some room to move up this year as well, beyond what the treasuries are doing.
Probably going to pick up a position in Wall Box next week. A friend from work was the Construction Manager on their new plant in Texas. They are making a ton of universal EV chargers.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I gotta imagine an electrician specializing in panel upgrades and charger installations should be a pretty lucrative niche to be in right now and in the coming future.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I gotta imagine an electrician specializing in panel upgrades and charger installations should be a pretty lucrative niche to be in right now and in the coming future.
Every garage will need one, if they charge at home.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
More tales of towing woe…

160 miles of range towing 3800 lbs to and from racetrack. It made it after cobbling a couple charges together to get home.

Remember these are rated at 410 mile range.

Longer trip from LA to Walnut Creek to pick up a electric Fiat. Had to drop the trailer to charge, took an average of an hour to charge just 90kwh (2/3 battery capacity) because the charging infrastructure is immature or non functional.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
My buddy ordered one of these and paid cash about a year ago. I know it was north of 100K but he wont disclose!

He hates it! Software updates every week.

The kicker was over this Labor Day, he drove from Vegas to visit San Diego family. Charged in Barstow. No problem. Gets to SD and notices a screw in his tire. Figures he would just go to tire shop to replace, NOPE! Noone will touch it, plug it, or patch it. They dont want anything to do with it, or even replace it. Its some funky size and offset. He had to make an appt at Rivian for that Tuesday and stay an extra day!

No thanks!

NicPaus

Reaction score
My buddy ordered one of these and paid cash about a year ago. I know it was north of 100K but he wont disclose!

He hates it! Software updates every week.

The kicker was over this Labor Day, he drove from Vegas to visit San Diego family. Charged in Barstow. No problem. Gets to SD and notices a screw in his tire. Figures he would just go to tire shop to replace, NOPE! Noone will touch it, plug it, or patch it. They dont want anything to do with it, or even replace it. Its some funky size and offset. He had to make an appt at Rivian for that Tuesday and stay an extra day!

No thanks!
Neighbor got a nail in his. He backed it out of driveway. Noticed it was low and pulled back in. They wouldn't patch it. Had to replace. I saw the mobile guy replacing it and asked. $550 for the tire. They told him since he drove it low tire was ruined.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

160 miles of range towing 3800 lbs to and from racetrack. It made it after cobbling a couple charges together to get home.

Longer trip from LA to Walnut Creek to pick up a electric Fiat. Had to drop the trailer to charge, took an average of an hour to charge just 90kwh (2/3 battery capacity) because the charging infrastructure is immature or non functional.

That’s not all that bad. I have about the same range with my Hemi truck.😉

”Tesla Cybertruck Spotted On The Las Vegas Strip With Trailer Hitch”

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That’s not all that bad. I have about the same range with my Hemi truck.😉

”Tesla Cybertruck Spotted On The Las Vegas Strip With Trailer Hitch”

Yea and the Hemi is full and ready to go again in 5 mins. Guy spent over 4 hours charging on a 650 mile trip, unhooking the trailer every time.

This was a 3800 lb low profile car and trailer going 65. What happens with a boat or box trailer that are less aerodynamic and weigh more? 😂

Just towing 3800 lbs (half capacity) reduced range 62%. My truck towing that (3800 lb car and open trailer) only drops about 30%.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

"The best charging rate I experienced was a brief peak of 190 kW, taking the battery from 4 percent to 71 percent in 39 minutes."... ooph... at least he had time to go pee, which I am told is very important for EV drivers. 🤣

sirbob

Reaction score

FWIW…

I just towed my boat 6000 highway miles from Havasu to Michigan and back.

I normally get an around town and freeway combo of 18.9 MPG in my Lincoln. I can drive (not towing) to Havasu from San Clemente with out stopping for gas. It’s about 325 miles. My projected miles with a fresh fill up is often over 400 miles.

While towing on the open road when I don’t know where the next gas stop is I was averaging a stop every 150 miles for gas. The average MPG went down to 8.7 MPG.

My point is the tow range should not be the reason not to like EVs.

There are plenty of other reasons to hate EVs. And too be clear, I am not an EV fan.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
FWIW…

I normally get an around town and freeway combo of 18.9 MPG in my Lincoln. I can drive (not towing) to Havasu from San Clemente with out stopping for gas. It’s about 325 miles.

While towing on the open road when I don’t know where the next gas stop is I was averaging a stop every 150 miles for gas. The average MPG went down to 8.7 MPG.

There are plenty of other reasons to hate EVs. And too be clear, I am not an EV fan.

I agree with you. People keep saying "the towing will get better". This is simply energy in and energy out. Without a battery chemistry change, this EV towing situation will never get any better.

Also what is your boat and trailer weigh? 7000 lbs?

sirbob

Reaction score
I agree with you. People keep saying "the towing will get better". This is simply energy in and energy out. Without a battery chemistry change, this EV towing situation will never get any better.

Also what is your boat and trailer weigh? 7000 lbs?
Weight - yea I’m guessing 7/8k ??

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
FWIW…

I normally get an around town and freeway combo of 18.9 MPG in my Lincoln. I can drive (not towing) to Havasu from San Clemente with out stopping for gas. It’s about 325 miles. My projected miles with a fresh fill up is often over 400 miles.

There are plenty of other reasons to hate EVs. And to be clear, I am not an EV fan.
BUT…you can just pull in and get gas.
That’s why EV towing is a big deal and is absolutely a consideration.
It’s one thing to have a little electric hoopty or even a cool 3 or S to jet around in.
But a truck with a hitch? Nope. Even if the charging was available every 150 miles or so, your trip would be HOURS longer, and frankly, the carbon footprint is no better (worse?) than a fuel vehicle after one considers manufacturing, electricity generation, battery manufacturing etc.
And can anyone tell us what that kind of battery cycling does to battery life? Gotta believe towing accelerates battery deterioration?
Electric cars are just another route down the same old misdirected energy path we’ve taken for over 120 years.
A consumer can save on gas money for commuting for sure.
But that’s really it.

sirbob

Reaction score
BUT…you can just pull in and get gas.
That’s why EV towing is a big deal and is absolutely a consideration.
It’s one thing to have a little electric hoopty or even a cool 3 or S to jet around in.
But a truck with a hitch? Nope. Even if the charging was available every 150 miles or so, your trip would be HOURS longer, and frankly, the carbon footprint is no better (worse?) than a fuel vehicle after one considers manufacturing, electricity generation, battery manufacturing etc.
And can anyone tell us what that kind of battery cycling does to battery life? Gotta believe towing accelerates battery deterioration?
Electric cars are just another route down the same old misdirected energy path we’ve taken for over 120 years.
A consumer can save on gas money for commuting for sure.
But that’s really it.

We are in violent agreement.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Neighbor got a nail in his. He backed it out of driveway. Noticed it was low and pulled back in. They wouldn't patch it. Had to replace. I saw the mobile guy replacing it and asked. $550 for the tire. They told him since he drove it low tire was ruined.
What the heck kind of tire is it that cant be patched? I have Runflats on a BMW and drove it home 50 miles flat and then put a plug in it and drove another 6 months on it. Alot of new cars dont even give you a spare anymore, they throw a 12 volt pump and plug kit in the back and call it good.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What the heck kind of tire is it that cant be patched? I have Runflats on a BMW and drove it home 50 miles flat and then put a plug in it and drove another 6 months on it. Alot of new cars dont even give you a spare anymore, they throw a 12 volt pump and plug kit in the back and call it good.

The truck is like 7200 lbs on low profile 21” tires..

Liability 😂

shan

Reaction score
The more Tesla innovates with stuff like a gigapress that continues to drive costs out of production, the more foolish legacy carmakers look.

Tesla didn’t invent the gigapress. Other carmakers had every chance to jump on a machine that makes 300+ assembly robots obsolete.

They’ve done more to advance automobile manufacture in a decade, than legacy carmakers accomplished in the previous 5 decades.
Elon didn't have the UAW to deal with.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Elon didn't have the UAW to deal with.
Elon has a big problem. His charger network is designed for the driver to back into the charging station. Tesla's charging cord is only 6 ft long.

Tesla chargers don't fit anyone else’s charge ports, because they won't reach.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Elon has a big problem. His charger network is designed for the driver to back into the charging station. Tesla's charging cord is only 6 ft long.

Tesla chargers don't fit anyone else charge ports.

Actually it sounds like every non Tesla EV owner and driver has the big problem.

Orange Juice

Reaction score