WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The new 2024 Rivian SUV R1S - 390 mile range - 7700lbs tow package - 3 Feet of water.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I've never understood why some people think it's impressive an electric vehicle can "beat" any ICE powered vehicle in a quarter mile run. It's like the pony that can do addition by pawing the ground after the trainer asks it what's two plus two.

A cute trick, but really meaningless.
Race on Sunday, sell on Monday😉

BigQ

Reaction score
Our Sierra EV Denali has a estimated delivery date in 11 months:
754HP / 785 Torque/400 mile range
Fun to drive, insane power and free charging at home is my motivation.
View attachment 1224514 View attachment 1224515
How did you get free charging at home? I take it this is based on the hummer chassis? I like the looks, but that is a big battery to charge.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I can see the appeal, but it’s short-lived.
With so many hyper-quick EVs, it’s not a differentiator anymore.

I’m not often requesting all of the beans from our 5.3L trucks very often, so all of that acceleration isn’t something I’m really looking for in a vehicle.
We drove several new gas Chevy Truck Demos. Our local dealer is over-flowing with them.
The 4 cyl turbo and the big V8's have spectacular power we didn't expect.
But, still Dmax for towing has them beat.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Do we really think Rivian is going to be around in a year or two?

Unless the Biden administration steps in and saves the fucking day by heaping more shit on taxpayers, I doubt it.

They had a market cap of $150B, and now IMHO it’s over-valued at $12B

I don't see them surviving.
Long waiting list for the Hummer EV Pick up at our local GMC dealer.
A Rivian Exec (maybe former) lives in our neighborhood. Rumors are not good.

As as Ford and GM release 3500 HD and F350/F450 EV Trucks that'll finish them off.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
How did you get free charging at home? I take it this is based on the hummer chassis? I like the looks, but that is a big battery to charge.

“Free charging” came free with purchase of $100k solar and battery system 😂.

Why people spend $300k on solar infrastructure and vehicles to tell you they are saving money with “free charging at home” is what I have not yet figured out. This is all while keeping an ICE vehicle for emergencies, recreation, or necessity.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Where do you folks live where you've only got 110V service to your homes ?? Are these 1930-40's built homes ?

They mean they do not have an extra circuit for charging the car.

Singleton

Reaction score
Where do you folks live where you've only got 110V service to your homes ?? Are these 1930-40's built homes ?

Coastal Carlsbad. House was built in 1974. We did a remodel in 2014 that maxed out existing panel.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

48 AMP solar with power wall and we're now running a $77 monthly credit with Edison. We charge free 24/7.

IMG_2726.jpeg

Wife drives over 105 mile a day. Our gasoline bill is less than half of pre EV/solar.

The new EV trucks charge at 80 AMPs home, 350 AMPs on the road. Rolling to Grandma's in Vegas wife gets 120 miles in a 8 minute walk-the-dog free charge in Baker.

Electrify America keeps re-crediting her account 1000 hours free charging as she burns through it. A full 300 mile range charge is $14 anyway.

The bigger the battery pak the longer the charge time and ya want 800 volt architecture for fast charging. Wife’s car is 800 volt/72 KW pac = fast charging.

We're not advocates, just enthusiasts. The wife could take it or leave it though. The kids hate it. Best to drive on ECO mode with some people. Normal and sport mode pin people to the seat even barely on the “gas.”
AUFI92v.jpg

Last edited:

BigQ

Reaction score
48 AMP solar with power wall and we're now running a $77 monthly credit with Edison. We charge free 24/7.

Wife drives over 105 mile a day. Our gasoline bill is less than half of pre EV/solar.

The new EV trucks charge at 80 AMPs home, 350 AMPs on the road. Rolling to Grandma's in Vegas wife gets 120 miles in a 8 minute walk-the-dog free charge in Baker. Electrify America keeps re-crediting her account 1000 hours free charging as she burns through it. A full 300 mile range charge is $14 anyway.
We're not advocates, just enthusiasts. The wife could take it or leave it though. The kids hate it.
AUFI92v.jpg
Oh ok, I thought it was some program GMC had for home charging, like a reimbursement or something. We have the base Tesla 3 and that thing is the biggest electric user in the house. Using the Tesla fast chargers the cost is about 50% what my Mustang EB was so still worth it, except for the wait at the station, so many Tesla.s now,lol.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
“Free charging” came free with purchase of $100k solar and battery system 😂.

Why people spend $300k on solar infrastructure and vehicles to tell you they are saving money with “free charging at home” is what I have not yet figured out. This is all while keeping an ICE vehicle for emergencies, recreation, or necessity.
There ya go again. Come on LOF, get real.
images

Our solar system was $22k.
The car was $43k $7.500 back on taxes.
Most fun to drive car I’ve ever driven.
Saving over $400 a month on fuel and another $300 a month on electricity for the house - it's good value.

I digress reasoning with you.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
They mean they do not have an extra circuit for charging the car.
BTW: Ford originally set their Lightning to home charge at 90 AMPS. But code requires a 110 AMP breaker so Ford re-set it to 80 AMP home charging requiring only a 90 - 100 AMP breaker.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW X 2: Shell is jumping into the EV charging game. Beware. $5 hook up fee 50 to 60 cents a KWH cost. Brutal.
Cleverly Shell has located them where a driver has no choice. Like sections of the Nevada I 50.
1682866973779.jpeg

Getting like when Pay Phones were scarce as cell phone popularity rose. If you could even find a pay phone it was a $8 a minute scam phone.

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We drove several new gas Chevy Truck Demos. Our local dealer is over-flowing with them.
The 4 cyl turbo and the big V8's have spectacular power we didn't expect.
But, still Dmax for towing has them beat.

There’s a massive reckoning that’s coming for full-size trucks.

Dealers are sitting in 100+ days of inventory (or more) and are still holding out, hoping people will pay added markups…many dealers are hiding trucks at offsite lots so it appears there’s still a supply shortage.

Meanwhile, a significant percentage, around 1/3, of customer trucks ordered when there actually was a supply shortage, have cancelled their orders.

Expect deep discounts, it costs a fortune dealers to sit in cars for so long.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
There’s a massive reckoning that’s coming for full-size trucks.

Dealers are sitting in 150+ days of inventory and are still holding out, hoping people will pay added markups…many dealers are hiding trucks at offsite lots so it appears there’s still a supply shortage.

Meanwhile, a significant percentage, around 1/3, of customer trucks ordered when there actually was a supply shortage, have cancelled their orders.
They couldn't stick one more truck on their lots out here.
Astonishingly fast and powerful, all of them, all engines.
I'll do a thread on our latest purchase in the truck section.

Taboma

Reaction score
Coastal Carlsbad. House was built in 1974. We did a remodel in 2014 that maxed out existing panel.
I understand maxing out the panel. What I'm a bit confused about was your statement in regards to the home's incoming service only being 110V (One hot phase and one neutral) and not the customary 220V or 240V.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Oh ok, I thought it was some program GMC had for home charging, like a reimbursement or something. We have the base Tesla 3 and that thing is the biggest electric user in the house. Using the Tesla fast chargers the cost is about 50% what my Mustang EB was so still worth it, except for the wait at the station, so many Tesla.s now,lol.
GM most likely will offer something. They're installing EV chargers around the country as well.

NicPaus

Reaction score
1920s my neighbors. It was the og farm house on the block. Celery and popcorn farm. Half acre lot surrounded by 5k lots.

boatpi

Reaction score
Only a lot of vehicles in the new Ford lightning. There is a place for an electric vehicle or truck SUV and mini household, and always with a nice vehicle along.

Best is if you have a solar powered house now everything is free

Rivian makes some great designs, but they have some quality control issues and software issues that have to be resolved before I would buy one.

I’m hopeful the next year to the big three will come out with Tahoe size SUV that will do 400 miles without towing if they can do that and make it tow 200 miles with a 15 minute charge which I think is possible that will be the bigger game changer for people wanting an electric SUV.

Remember, not everyone toes or toes a long distance like 240 miles they may tow shorter distances.

This is never going to replace an ice vehicle or diesels for towing, but in mini household that have 2 to 4 vehicles, an electric vehicle, especially the newer ones that go exceptional range, really has a place.

I own many cars, trucks and SUV’s, even more in the past like many here on the boards. I think you have to be a little open minded on this and understand no one‘s pushing this on me, or anyone. I like it because of the efficiency and technology, not because Biden or any other donkey Dick in Washington tells me I have to buy it. That’s never gonna happen.

Singleton

Reaction score
I understand maxing out the panel. What I'm a bit confused about was your statement in regards to the home's incoming service only being 110V (One hot phase and one neutral) and not the customary 220V or 240V.

Have had more than one electrician and Palomar Solar confirm it. Panel is maxed, would have to pull a new line that would require a large portion of hand digging (gas line runs below electrical lines).

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There ya go again. Come on LOF, get real.
images

Our solar system was $22k.
The car was $43k $7.500 back on taxes.
Most fun to drive car I’ve ever driven.
Saving over $400 a month on fuel and another $300 a month on electricity for the house - it's good value.

I digress reasoning with you.

Don’t you have a battery wall to charge the thing at night? Was that “free” too?

😂 Enjoy the “free charging”.

It’s America, you can buy whatever you want. I’m happy you are so happy but let’s take the blinders off here. You’ve got a expensive truck sitting there to tow, and talking about buying an electric truck that costs an excessive amount more than a regular ICE truck, and you can’t use it as a truck, so it’s basically just an expensive large car.

What about customers that are now forced on NEM 3.0 making solar far less attractive? What will that do for EV sales?

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
They couldn't stick one more truck on their lots out here.
Astonishingly fast and powerful, all of them, all engines.
I'll do a thread on our latest purchase in the truck section.
Not that an EV would serve our needs, but my single gripe with GMC and Ford truck EV's, (Just speaking of those two truck brands for now) is I'm struggling to accept the appearance of the front ends on either one. It's as if the designers do fine until they get to the grille area, then just throw up their hands and scream "Ah fuck it", just blank it off. 🤔

Free charging at home, that's a joke right ? So the mega-watts of solar panels, power walls and wiring were all for free ? At best, your investment in solar is allowing you to charge at home with substantial savings.

Because my son's Tesla is used for his business and he's also got solar and a power wall at home and at his shop, it certainly pencils out, especially with his business write-offs.

But "Free" is like me bragging that thanks to our solar pv and solar water heating installed when we built the 100% electric home in 2010, we've never paid an electric bill, hence power is free.
Ahhhh, no, but with the huge rebate and tax credit, the ROI was sure realized quickly. So is it free now, well past the ROI ?
Not unless our current system lasts forever, don't think so, I'm just hoping it outlasts me. 😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not that an EV would serve our needs, but my single gripe with GMC and Ford truck EV's, (Just speaking of those two truck brands for now) is I'm struggling to accept the appearance of the front ends on either one. It's as if the designers do fine until they get to the grille area, then just throw up their hands and scream "Ah fuck it", just blank it off. 🤔

Free charging at home, that's a joke right ? So the mega-watts of solar panels, power walls and wiring were all for free ? At best, your investment in solar is allowing you to charge at home with substantial savings.

Because my son's Tesla is used for his business and he's also got solar and a power wall at home and at his shop, it certainly pencils out, especially with his business write-offs.

But "Free" is like me bragging that thanks to our solar pv and solar water heating installed when we built the 100% electric home in 2010, we've never paid an electric bill, hence power is free.
Ahhhh, no, but with the huge rebate and tax credit, the ROI was sure realized quickly. So is it free now, well past the ROI ?
Not unless our current system lasts forever, don't think so, I'm just hoping it outlasts me. 😂

So you mean I’m not the only one that sees that charging an EV is far from “free”?

Taboma

Reaction score
Have had more than one electrician and Palomar Solar confirm it. Panel is maxed, would have to pull a new line that would require a large portion of hand digging (gas line runs below electrical lines).
You and I are suffering what's commonly referred to as "A failure to communicate" 🤣
You're apparently communicating Service Ampacity as being maxed out, but stating it in voltage.
I'm communicating a surprise with you stating you only had 110V, when essentially most all Services since the 1940's (And earlier) have been 240V (For residential), with ampacity (Capacity) being the variable.

So here's what I believe you're referring to ---- Your 115/230V main service capacity, which I'm now assuming to be 100 Amps, has been maxed out and in order to add a Solar PV system, it would require SDG&E to increase your capacity to 200 Amps, which would require a new UG conduit and service feeders.

That makes sense, and in a similar manner it limited a friend from being able to install a larger solar system than his service would accommodate.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I don't care how good EVs become. I will never buy one on the simple fact the liberals led by fucking Biden handlers are forcing people into them! Fuck liberals and their green agenda!

BasilHayden

Reaction score
No they misuderstand. Singleton has 240v, I have seen the panel. But he is limited at 125A as we speak, and many think that since they have 12 breakers in their panel the panel is full. I Slim some breakers or add a sub panel. However when we have folks wanting to add the 2nd EV to their 100A panel I start laughing and they dont get the joke.

boatpi

Reaction score
I’d like to clarify the $7500 some people consider a rebate on IRS taxes for the large battery powered vehicles

That’s not the case it’s actually a $7500 federal tax credit so if you and the 25% income tax bracket you actually save much more.

Taboma

Reaction score
No they misuderstand. Singleton has 240v, I have seen the panel. But he is limited at 125A as we speak, and many think that since they have 12 breakers in their panel the panel is full. I Slim some breakers or add a sub panel. However when we have folks wanting to add the 2nd EV to their 100A panel I start laughing and they dont get the joke.
Initially he had me thinking "Knob and tube" 🤣

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Geez I have 200A service and am contemplating an upgrade at some future point…we couldn’t run our home with 100A service.

boatpi

Reaction score
To clarify that charge at home for free if you have solar and let’s say you spent 25 or 30,000 for your house and now you get a 30% federal tax credit on top of that. When I did my huge system on my Las Vegas house a few years ago, I did the math and even with the lower rates in Nevada at 7 1/2 years it would be a push. So after that point of time that I’m four years into it now, in theory, every bit of electricity is free although I have a basic hook up fee of $10.50 a month. EV charging is free really now as I don’t pay kilowatt hours for any electricity

Singleton

Reaction score
Initially he had me thinking "Knob and tube" 🤣

Had that at the family log cabin built by my great grandfather in 1913. That was a huge PIA to rewire. Family replaced it all in the 80’s when we could not get insurance anymore due to it

BasilHayden

Reaction score
To clarify that charge at home for free if you have solar and let’s say you spent 25 or 30,000 for your house and now you get a 30% federal tax credit on top of that. When I did my huge system on my Las Vegas house a few years ago, I did the math and even with the lower rates in Nevada at 7 1/2 years it would be a push. So after that point of time that I’m four years into it now, in theory, every bit of electricity is free although I have a basic hook up fee of $10.50 a month. EV charging is free really now as I don’t pay kilowatt hours for any electricity
If in fact your system produces that much overage then your looking good. But take this scenario...
Customer "You sold me a system last year and now I have a $4k true up bill, you suck."
Palomar "...Umm Skippy,Your system was only sized for 90% of your needs, we covered every inch of roof we could, but $4k? What did you do buy an EV?.."
Customer "Yeah so, we got 2, and since we have solar we charge them every day as we commute 120 miles each day both ways!"

No lie, he couldnt understand he added an average 80kw per day to his usage and why the hell does he owe so much. We see this every day. In So Cal an EV cost just as much if not more to operate unless you truly have a huge PV system, and yes you payed for it, but the extra 20 panels really arent all that much if they are paying for your fuel bill for years. Now if you thing your 20kw battery on your wall charges your car, did you know your EV battery is 100kw? How much are you really charging with that battery, biggest lie told my competitors today.
@TPC I love your adventures and know your a great guy, but your understanding of PV is based on the stories you were told by Tesla. Elon has my respect for what he has built and for his stand for free speech, but his solar company could be a bit more honest. I just hope you are truly oversized so you dont end up like one of many who got sold a bill of goods. Stay on top of your usage and your true up, because what you have said about your system really doesnt add up. Make sure you are on the EV rate TOU and only charge in the EV period, usually midnight to 6AM.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Stay on top of your usage and your true up, because what you have said about your system really doesnt add up. Make sure you are on the EV rate TOU and only charge in the EV period, usually midnight to 6AM
So tell me what doesn't add up? We're not even into summer yet and I've posted the facts. Your post is what doesn't add up.
Your take is ridiculous. You have no basis to state that. None what so ever.

You're talking thru your ass making shit up as you roll along.

Lets start with our EV battery is 72KW, not 100KW as you stated. So everything else you state is a fairytale as well.
You don't know what size system I have, you know nothing.
You don't know the draw on our house, the KW we trade with Edison, our power bank capacity.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Just arrogance talking.

I'm not even going to respond to you - you're so full of baloney.

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
Don’t get it twisted, this is so far from a truck.

I watched that dude Rory on YouTube recover one of these out in Moab. It bent a tierod, when he got under there, it looked smaller than the tie rods on a Honda Civic. It’s a lifted car, if anything

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If in fact your system produces that much overage then your looking good. But take this scenario...
Customer "You sold me a system last year and now I have a $4k true up bill, you suck."
Palomar "...Umm Skippy,Your system was only sized for 90% of your needs, we covered every inch of roof we could, but $4k? What did you do buy an EV?.."
Customer "Yeah so, we got 2, and since we have solar we charge them every day as we commute 120 miles each day both ways!"

No lie, he couldnt understand he added an average 80kw per day to his usage and why the hell does he owe so much. We see this every day. In So Cal an EV cost just as much if not more to operate unless you truly have a huge PV system, and yes you payed for it, but the extra 20 panels really arent all that much if they are paying for your fuel bill for years. Now if you thing your 20kw battery on your wall charges your car, did you know your EV battery is 100kw? How much are you really charging with that battery, biggest lie told my competitors today.
@TPC I love your adventures and know your a great guy, but your understanding of PV is based on the stories you were told by Tesla. Elon has my respect for what he has built and for his stand for free speech, but his solar company could be a bit more honest. I just hope you are truly oversized so you dont end up like one of many who got sold a bill of goods. Stay on top of your usage and your true up, because what you have said about your system really doesnt add up. Make sure you are on the EV rate TOU and only charge in the EV period, usually midnight to 6AM.

My sister in-law went this route...

Solar panels, batteries, all EV vehicles.

They are always bragging about how they don't spend any money on gas.

I can only imagine what their payments are though. No possible way they will break even in this lifetime.

🤦‍♂️

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
So you mean I’m not the only one that sees that charging an EV is far from “free”?
I guess ya just don’t see it.

Our Edison bill. It says $77.07 Credit. As in nothing owed to Edison.
Edison owes me. Better than free IMHO.

How much was your power bill? How much was you gasoline bill?

IMG_2726.jpeg

All the haters are the same guys that were calling Rzrs golf carts.
I digress. You haters look at price, never value.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

View attachment 1224781

if you can’t acknowledge you paid a wheelbarrow of cash up front to hopefully trickle back the savings over the rest of your lifetime in the name of value, we can’t have much of a conversation. Are you going to keep your EVs for 10 years? Likely not, you are going to be swapping them out every few years. So you are going to take losses on depreciation for newer ev cars that cost more and more than their ICE counterparts over and over again.

My gas and home electric bills were less than your EV car payment(s) solar panel and battery wall payments, and diesel truck and fuel payment.

My power is under 6 cents a KWH fixed. No tiers, no TOU, no BS. I don’t need solar or a battery wall to get the value out of an EV.

I’m all for cheap transportation.. but a $90k truck that can only tow 80 miles is useless unless I’m never going to tow with it.. at that point why I am I spending $90k for an non truck, truck and then telling everyone I can charge it for “free”? I can buy a new truck and put gas in it for 10 years before I’ve spent as much as you have on the electric truck, the diesel truck, diesel fuel, solar panels and a battery wall.

No one is hating on EVs.. the entry costs are high, the current tech is finite, and charging them is far from “free”. That’s it.

If they were a value, and free to charge you’d see EVs parked in and around every apartment complex in town, right?

hallett21

Reaction score
Geez I have 200A service and am contemplating an upgrade at some future point…we couldn’t run our home with 100A service.
I’d have someone do a legitimate load calculation for you. The only people I’ve seen truly exceed 200 amp services, are the ones that have 2–3 Teslas, are cooling 5k+ square foot homes and running 3 pool pumps.

That’s not to say a 400amp (320 continuous typically) service won’t open up options for you. But even running 2 5ton ACs will maybe pull 100amps upon start up. They’ll draw way less once on, like 20-30 amps.

Tesla wall chargers pull 50 amps on the max setting.
Too many people just add everything up and come up with a number. I’ve never heard of anyone heating a floor while air conditioning the house for instance.

Taboma

Reaction score

View attachment 1224781

We have 100% electric home we build in 2010, and haven't paid SDG&E an electric bill in 13 years ---- but I don't consider it FREE, because even though we paid cash and got a healthy rebate and a nice tax credit, we were paying it forward and eventually the system will require replacing.

So unless you got your extensive system, including Tesla Power walls for free, then please explain how it's FREE power.
Our system is dialed in pretty tight, although we're certainly living comfortable. We're also grandfathered in at our original rating --- but if we started charging EV's, we'd be paying something, although not much.

In 2010 when we installed ours, because of the generous rebates, SDG&E limited the system output to your anticipated load calculations. They weren't going to hand out rebates for systems much larger than your requirements. In our case, we loaded the calcs with as much as they'd approve. For us it's worked perfectly.

Glad yours is working out for you 👍

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We have 100% electric home we build in 2010, and haven't paid SDG&E an electric bill in 13 years ---- but I don't consider it FREE, because even though we paid cash and got a healthy rebate and a nice tax credit, we were paying it forward and eventually the system will require replacing.

So unless you got your extensive system, including Tesla Power walls for free, then please explain how it's FREE power.
Our system is dialed in pretty tight, although we're certainly living comfortable. We're also grandfathered in at our original rating --- but if we started charging EV's, we'd be paying something, although not much.

In 2010 when we installed ours, because of the generous rebates, SDG&E limited the system output to your anticipated load calculations. They weren't going to hand out rebates for systems much larger than your requirements. In our case, we loaded the calcs with as much as they'd approve. For us it's worked perfectly.

Glad yours is working out for you 👍

I used to know several undocumented pharmaceutical distributors and ended up spending more time with them than I probably needed to. The reasons why are a discussion for another thread. Anyway, they would buy shit one week. Use it a bit, then sell it the next week for a loss.

They called the money in their hands after the sale profits. I remember asking how it was a profit when you bought a Grand National for $20k and sold it for $15k the next week. They looked at me like I was from outer space. 😂 I knew what they were doing, but looking back I probably should not have asked :)

This whole “free” charging discussion reminded me of those guys… minus the money laundering :).

rrrr

Reaction score
I’d have someone do a legitimate load calculation for you. The only people I’ve seen truly exceed 200 amp services, are the ones that have 2–3 Teslas, are cooling 5k+ square foot homes and running 3 pool pumps.

That’s not to say a 400amp (320 continuous typically) service won’t open up options for you. But even running 2 5ton ACs will maybe pull 100amps upon start up. They’ll draw way less once on, like 20-30 amps.
I helped out a friend who had been told by an unscrupulous electrical contractor his 200 amp service and panel was overloaded and he was required to upgrade it per the National Electric Code.

The guy had recorded the operating amperage of every connected device in the home, totaled them, and told my friend since that exceeded the service capacity, his house was in danger of catching fire. The guy also used slick talk and quick flips through the NEC to confuse him about connected loads, continuous loads, and non-continuous loads.

Then he turned on all of the lights, appliances, and the pool equipment. A clamp on ammeter was placed on the incoming service conductors, showed the load was something like 80 amps, and claimed that when the A/C unit started, the 100+ amp increase that showed on the meter plus the running load showed how dangerously overloaded the service and panel were.

The cost to "fix" the "violation" was something like $25K. Fortunately my buddy called me. I went to his house, did some investigation, and of course none of what he had been told was true.

There are some real shitbags out there.

hallett21

Reaction score
I helped out a friend who had been told by an unscrupulous electrical contractor his 200 amp service and panel was overloaded and he was required to upgrade it per the National Electric Code.

The guy had recorded the operating amperage of every connected device in the home, totaled them, and told my friend since that exceeded the service capacity, his house was in danger of catching fire. The guy also used slick talk and quick flips through the NEC to confuse him about connected loads, continuous loads, and non-continuous loads.

Then he turned on all of the lights, appliances, and the pool equipment. A clamp on ammeter was placed on the incoming service conductors, showed the load was something like 80 amps, and claimed that when the A/C unit started, the 100+ amp increase that showed on the meter plus the running load showed how dangerously overloaded the service and panel were.

The cost to "fix" the "violation" was something like $25K. Fortunately my buddy called me. I went to his house, did some investigation, and of course none of what he had been told was true.

There are some real shitbags out there.
This is my experience and why I have an issue upselling a client on an “easy upgrade”. Eventually someone who knows what they are doing is going to say “wait a minute”. It’s just not worth it for me. I try to educate customers the best I can. But chit chat with friends and neighbors tends to lead them down a path they never had to travel. 🤷🏼‍♂️

BasilHayden

Reaction score
So tell me what doesn't add up? We're not even into summer yet and I've posted the facts. Your post is what doesn't add up.
Your take is ridiculous. You have no basis to state that. None what so ever.

You're talking thru your ass making shit up as you roll along.

Lets start with our EV battery is 72KW, not 100KW as you stated. So everything else you state is a fairytale as well.
You don't know what size system I have, you know nothing.
You don't know the draw on our house, the KW we trade with Edison, our power bank capacity.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Just arrogance talking.

I'm not even going to respond to you - you're so full of baloney.
You misunderstand my point

I wasnt talking specifically about your EV battery, it was a generalization and that part of my post wasnt to you, my point there was EV batteries are in general aprox 100kw and the average home battery is less than 20kw so how much charge are you really putting into your EV from your wall, very little especially since the point of the wall is generally to save during TOU periods (arbitrage) or to protect againsts power outages.

I truly was telling you many folks think they are good to go only to find that at year end they owe a ton. This time of year you produce the most power (very good sun) and you use the least (Its not hot out yet, hence little AC and pool use). It is very rare for Tesla to sell systems that will overproduce like yours apparently does, in fact they tend to undersize as it is easier to sell that package. Maybe you found a rare great salesperson when you bought, or maybe you knew what you needed and asked for a system size for your needs, if thats the case, congrats. So again if you reread all I was trying to do was say "Hey TPC, please stay on top of it and make sure you are in the right program as it can help protect you either way." Everything above your name was not related to you, in fact it was a customer who lives far south of you. Sorry you felt I was calling you out, it was not my intent.