WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The new 2024 Rivian SUV R1S - 390 mile range - 7700lbs tow package - 3 Feet of water.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I don’t understand all the hate for electric vehicles.

Everyone has a different use, but if I owned an electric truck, I wouldn’t care if it only got 50 miles to a tow charge. That would still be more than I need. I put less than 150 miles a month on my ICE car. I would have no range anxiety whatsoever with any electric vehicle.

I use the hell out of my electric low speed vehicle. For me, it is FREE to charge. I just plug it into a 110 outlet that in my parking spot. The reason why it’s free is because my monthly HOA is the same if I am charging or not.

We have also installed electric vehicle charging stations at my building. Again paid for by the HOA (my money too), but no additional increase in monthly HOA costs. Our building did this because like it or not, this is the future. Many other high rise condos in Florida have or are the process of doing the exact same thing. There are also charging stations all over the place. One BONUS, you get rock Star parking for an electric vehicle in many of my local beach towns. Sign says: Electric Vehicle Parking Only

I so rarely go the gas station, I’ve forgotten where it is. Joking

My parking garage is getting a new electric vehicle almost weekly. Both political parties too. That really is ridiculous that some see it as a political thing. It’s not.

The nice thing about charging at home while you sleep, you always wake up to a full tank! Easy Peasy

So for those that think I am part of the green team, here is a pic of my low speed vehicle……

733D5591-3D82-49C9-B955-E82D74840D69.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We have also installed electric vehicle charging stations at my building. Again paid for by the HOA (my money too), but no additional increase in monthly HOA costs. Our building did this because like it or not, this is the future. Many other high rise condos in Florida have or are the process of doing the exact same thing. There are also charging stations all over the place. One BONUS, you get rock Star parking for an electric vehicle in many of my local beach towns. Sign says: Electric Vehicle Parking Only

There could also be local and/or federal subsidies helping to offset the costs.

Andy B.

Reaction score
There could also be local and/or federal subsidies helping to offset the costs.
And where do they get these subsidies?? From us the taxpayers which we agreed to none of this wasted tax money you want electric I have no problem with that but don't use my money! That's what pisses me off about this and all the other shit !!
And bailing out the poorly run automakers also its all fucked up!!!

Rant over..

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
And where do they get these subsidies?? From us the taxpayers which we agreed to none of this wasted tax money you want electric I have no problem with that but don't use my money! That's what pisses me off about this and all the other shit !!
And bailing out the poorly run automakers also its all fucked up!!!

Rant over..
Yeah the point is failed to make is, there ain’t nothing free. No business is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
“Free charging” came free with purchase of $100k solar and battery system 😂.

Why people spend $300k on solar infrastructure and vehicles to tell you they are saving money with “free charging at home” is what I have not yet figured out. This is all while keeping an ICE vehicle for emergencies, recreation, or necessity.
You need to stop watching too mush FOX news. 😜

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I don’t understand all the hate for electric vehicles.

Everyone has a different use, but if I owned an electric truck, I wouldn’t care if it only got 50 miles to a tow charge. That would still be more than I need. I put less than 150 miles a month on my ICE car. I would have no range anxiety whatsoever with any electric vehicle.

I use the hell out of my electric low speed vehicle. For me, it is FREE to charge. I just plug it into a 110 outlet that in my parking spot. The reason why it’s free is because my monthly HOA is the same if I am charging or not.

I so rarely go the gas station, I’ve forgotten where it is. Joking

My parking garage is getting a new electric vehicle almost weekly. Both political parties too. That really is ridiculous that some see it as a political thing. It’s not.

The nice thing about charging at home while you sleep, you always wake up to a full tank! Easy Peasy

So for those that think I am part of the green team, here is a pic of my low speed vehicle……

View attachment 1225463
I’ve been watching these new condos going up. They are all including fast chargers in the plans.

Some are going to use a company like Blink to install and maintain them.
I think the infrastructure is enough to get a car across the country, but next year when the big MFG’s start selling, there could be lines, where the “pipeline” narrows.

EV charging stations, will end up similar to the railroad system, national highways , water, sewer, telephone, gas, internet, Cell Phone, mail services. There will be a use tax. I hope it doesn’t get to the point we’ll be paying toll, like they do in some areas.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Why the hate for electric vehicles?

1) They are trying to force us into them.
2) Yes the charging is free to the customer NOW.
3) They can turn off you electric when ever they want.
4) They are even trying to charge you for electricity based on your income.
5) Look at all the added fees to your electric bill, those are only going to increase.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Why the hate for electric vehicles?

1) They are trying to force us into them.
2) Yes the charging is free to the customer NOW.
3) They can turn off you electric when ever they want.
4) They are even trying to charge you for electricity based on your income.
5) Look at all the added fees to your electric bill, those are only going to increase.

You forgot -
6. Easy to Ls swap

Dan'l

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I guess ya just don’t see it.

Our Edison bill. It says $77.07 Credit. As in nothing owed to Edison.
Edison owes me. Better than free IMHO.

How much was your power bill? How much was you gasoline bill?

View attachment 1224781

All the haters are the same guys that were calling Rzrs golf carts.
I digress. You haters look at price, never value.
I’m no hater, but I do call RZR’s golf carts. 😇

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
You and I are suffering what's commonly referred to as "A failure to communicate" 🤣
You're apparently communicating Service Ampacity as being maxed out, but stating it in voltage.
I'm communicating a surprise with you stating you only had 110V, when essentially most all Services since the 1940's (And earlier) have been 240V (For residential), with ampacity (Capacity) being the variable.

So here's what I believe you're referring to ---- Your 115/230V main service capacity, which I'm now assuming to be 100 Amps, has been maxed out and in order to add a Solar PV system, it would require SDG&E to increase your capacity to 200 Amps, which would require a new UG conduit and service feeders.

That makes sense, and in a similar manner it limited a friend from being able to install a larger solar system than his service would accommodate.
Ya what you said…. Both my houses built 1955 and 1966 have small panels that are maxed out with 100 amp service that is buried. I have several 220 appliances that have maxed out the panel. By maxed out I mean there are no empty breaker bays…

Anything additional would require a major rework.

Now there are much older houses here built before 1940 that have knob and tube and fuses still. They are hopeless

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Are electric car threads the new speed car threads?

Singleton

Reaction score
Are electric car threads the new speed car threads?
Yes :)
Same theme
- Speed cars cant meet any communicated delivery dates
- EV’s can’t meet any range commitments communicated

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I saw this post this morning, a friend put it up and was talking about his concern about his son who will be driving age soon running into something like this and the effects it would have on a new drivers insurance rates.

The push for net zero across the board over the next decade is a lofty goal, I’m a fan of the EV platform but only at price point does it even begin to peek my interest. Still eye fucking the Chevy bolt as it’s almost free to own and operate if I roll one of the other cars in the fleet into it😂

Dave Cole of king of hammers fame has thrown out one hell of a talking point challenge, he will payout $1M to the first guy who can win the 4400 class in an EV at KOH. Reality is it will cost $5M to do it, and double reality is “good fucking luck” trying to make that happen. Someday it will, but not this day is my opinion. However I think the developments that come from racing the EV class out there will 100% show up in production vehicles down the road.

Anyways back to the Rivian shit sandwich I saw posted.
D55202B5-0984-4484-9C33-47A1DAF04D8F.png
61C0E1C4-82B0-44E1-87E8-D589E13FEABB.jpeg
C9F6755E-C2F1-461D-B1DF-64530899FE41.jpeg
4F44C519-8B55-41BF-8674-40C613493757.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I saw this post this morning, a friend put it up and was talking about his concern about his son who will be driving age soon running into something like this and the effects it would have on a new drivers insurance rates.

The push for net zero across the board over the next decade is a lofty goal, I’m a fan of the EV platform but only at price point does it even begin to peek my interest. Still eye fucking the Chevy bolt as it’s almost free to own and operate if I roll one of the other cars in the fleet into it😂

Dave Cole of king of hammers fame has thrown out one hell of a talking point challenge, he will payout $1M to the first guy who can win the 4400 class in an EV at KOH. Reality is it will cost $5M to do it, and double reality is “good fucking luck” trying to make that happen. Someday it will, but not this day is my opinion. However I think the developments that come from racing the EV class out there will 100% show up in production vehicles down the road.

Anyways back to the Rivian shit sandwich I saw posted. View attachment 1225799 View attachment 1225797 View attachment 1225798 View attachment 1225800
And that is how they can afford a 70k sq foot building.....

Taboma

Reaction score
Ya what you said…. Both my houses built 1955 and 1966 have small panels that are maxed out with 100 amp service that is buried. I have several 220 appliances that have maxed out the panel. By maxed out I mean there are no empty breaker bays…

Anything additional would require a major rework.

Now there are much older houses here built before 1940 that have knob and tube and fuses still. They are hopeless
My son who doesn't do solar, but does panel upgrades prepping for them mentioned one problem with most older 100A panels is the rating on the panels Bus Bars that is either prohibitive of or seriously limits the solar system size.
Certainly a couple of members far more qualified to address those concerns and limitations as is this old long retired sparky. 😁
I must admit I'm surprised at the member familiarization with Knob and Tube, I don't think I've seen that since doing some upgrades on a couple of Historical Homes or Tricky Dicky's San Clemente White House, those cases from the mid to late '60's. 😂

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yes :)
Same theme
- Speed cars cant meet any communicated delivery dates
- EV’s can’t meet any range commitments communicated
Aside from having to buy 2 Speed cars worth of gear for your house to charge the EV for “free” in CA and surrounding states - Yes it’s the exact same - lots of whining from the people uninvolved and the actual owners seem happy with their choices.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Mush? That’s what happens to your brain on drugs thinking an EV is “free” to charge at the boat ramp. 😂
Never said it’s free at the boat ramp, fool. That’s what happen when you little brain starts to freak.

There you go, trying to turn every thread into a speed thread. 😜

Orange Juice

Reaction score
My son who doesn't do solar, but does panel upgrades prepping for them mentioned one problem with most older 100A panels is the rating on the panels Bus Bars that is either prohibitive of or seriously limits the solar system size.
Certainly a couple of members far more qualified to address those concerns and limitations as is this old long retired sparky. 😁
I must admit I'm surprised at the member familiarization with Knob and Tube, I don't think I've seen that since doing some upgrades on a couple of Historical Homes or Tricky Dicky's San Clemente White House, those cases from the mid to late '60's. 😂
These older homes will be out of luck, for fast changing at home.
Im going to add $25k to my home value, because it’s wired for 220v in the garage. 😋

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
You know……… The Amish refused to get on board when the internal combustion engine was introduced. Look where they are at now! lol

rrrr

Reaction score

Anyways back to the Rivian shit sandwich I saw posted. View attachment 1225799 View attachment 1225797 View attachment 1225798 View attachment 1225800
And thereya go. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of these stories about wrecked Teslas. There's no nationwide presence of Tesla managed or even Tesla certified body shops. Parts are scarce, there are just a few distribution warehouses across the country.

But the largest and most concerning issue for Tesla owners nationwide with damaged vehicles is that outside large urban centers, there is an almost complete absence of body shops qualified to repair the main aluminum body structure or other hydroformed and pressed parts.

The heat treated aluminum used to manufacture the car has a lower plastic deformation limit and less malleability than the steel used to build most cars and trucks. Applying heat to soften the aluminum so it can be reshaped destroys the factory heat treatment. The properties of the metal requires special skills to properly repair the vehicle, and Tesla owners won't know if the body shop they use is qualified to do so.

Ironically, the best place to take a damaged Tesla for repair is probably a Ford dealership. Their body shops have been repairing aluminum bodied F150s for years, and the techs have attended factory training centers to learn how to perform the work.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And thereya go. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of these stories about wrecked Teslas. There's no nationwide presence of Tesla managed or even Tesla certified body shops. Parts are scarce, there are just a few distribution warehouses across the country.

But the largest and most concerning issue for Tesla owners nationwide with damaged vehicles is that outside large urban centers, there is an almost complete absence of body shops qualified to repair the main aluminum body structure or other hydroformed and pressed parts.

The heat treated aluminum used to manufacture the car has a lower plastic deformation limit and less malleability than the steel used to build most cars and trucks. Applying heat to soften the aluminum so it can be reshaped destroys the factory heat treatment. The properties of the metal requires special skills to properly repair the vehicle, and Tesla owners won't know if the body shop they use is qualified to do so.

Ironically, the best place to take a damaged Tesla for repair is probably a Ford dealership. Their body shops have been repairing aluminum bodied F150s for years, and the techs have attended factory training centers to learn how to perform the work.

With the advent of more and more “gigapressed” parts, these cars are simply going to be throwaways in minor accidents. You aren’t going to replace a single formed part of chassis or structure if it is damaged.

rrrr

Reaction score
By the way, for everyone's edification the power provided to residential electrical services is at 240 volts, not 220.

Think of how knowledgeable you'll appear if you throw out the correct number while you're talking to an electrician about upgrading your service to 400 amps. Keep up that 220 stuff and he'll know you're a rube. That automatically adds $5K to the estimate.

😁

rrrr

Reaction score
With the advent of more and more “gigapressed” parts, these cars are simply going to be throwaways in minor accidents. You aren’t going to replace a single formed part of chassis or structure if it is damaged.
You're correct. Have you seen photos of a completed naked body structure on the assembly line? Crunch a rear quarter up to the rear door latch post or get in a minor t-bone collision and the car is junk.

How much is the annual insurance on a Model S Plaid?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You're correct. Have you seen photos of a completed naked body structure on the assembly line? Crunch a rear quarter up to the rear door latch post or get in a minor t-bone collision and the car is junk.

How much is the annual insurance on a Model S Plaid?

To be fair this is not only an EV problem.. but insurance is going to shoot sky high either way as EVs become more popular on the roads outside the coasts.

Taboma

Reaction score
By the way, for everyone's edification the power provided to residential electrical services is at 240 volts, not 220.

Think of how knowledgeable you'll appear if you throw out the correct number while you're talking to an electrician about upgrading your service to 400 amps. Keep up that 220 stuff and he'll know you're a rube. That automatically adds $5K to the estimate.

😁
Depends where you live --- more commonly 115/230V or 120/240. Mine's actually 123/246v 🤣

rrrr

Reaction score
Depends where you live --- more commonly 115/230V or 120/240. Mine's actually 123/246v 🤣
Where's 115/230 in use? The 120/240 service is just about universal. I excluded the mention of the 120 volt part of the service because I don't want to further confuse the already confused.

As for your service, you know that 120/240 is the nominal voltage, and that variations in primary voltage ahead of transformer reduced medium voltage residential distribution grids and slight differences in the smaller transformers that further reduce the voltage to the 120/240 value that typically serves homes all result in minor differences of actual voltage measured at individual customer meters.

What the voltage is at the receptacle serving your toaster doesn't mean anything.

Taboma

Reaction score
Where's 115/230 in use? The 120/240 service is just about universal. I excluded the mention of the 120 volt part of the service because I don't want to further confuse the already confused.

As for your service, you know that 120/240 is the nominal voltage, and that variations in primary voltage ahead of transformer reduced medium voltage residential distribution grids and slight differences in the smaller transformers that further reduce the voltage to the 120/240 value that typically serves homes all result in minor differences of actual voltage measured at individual customer meters.

What the voltage is at the receptacle serving your toaster doesn't mean anything.

Just wondering, how many years did you perform electrical contracting in Orange County and San Diego ? Oh, you say you started in 1966 ?
Go mentor somebody who needs it rrrr 😁

rrrr

Reaction score
Just wondering, how many years did you perform electrical contracting in Orange County and San Diego ? Oh, you say you started in 1966 ?
Go mentor somebody who needs it rrrr 😁
Uh huh. Who started out being snippy and performing for the crowd?

Taboma

Reaction score
Uh huh. Who started out being snippy and performing for the crowd?
I'm not snippy, I'm telling you I don't appreciate the 3rd degree and insinuation you're the only person who knows how to measure voltage properly.

What makes you think I'd appreciate an interrogation on the subject ? Were you working in Orange county in the mid 70's when they dropped all the voltages ?
Were you replacing all the lamps in a new industrial complex because the Phillips fluorescents the vendor supplied ceased functioning, in unison almost overnight ?
We had to re-lamp the entire project and replaced every one with a different brand (Don't recall over 40 years later) and they unlike the Phillips, did work.
The voltage measured at my father's meter was 115-116v, never higher.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
No complaints here... My little commuter car just keeps rolling along as it approaches 50k miles, no service, no oil changes, no brake jobs, no smog certs, carpool friendly. Just tires, wiper blades and an in-cabin filter. Still just $4 to $5 to charge from empty in communist California. I dig the fact that Tesla's are more American made than any car on the road. The Model Y is USA's number 1car, the Model 3 is number 2, the Model X is number 5, the Model S is in 6th when it comes to using the most resources from the USA, made in Texas and California.

tempImageMLcCog.png

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
No complaints here... My little commuter car just keeps rolling along as it approaches 50k miles, no service, no oil changes, no brake jobs, no smog certs, carpool friendly. Just tires, wiper blades and an in-cabin filter. Still just $4 to $5 to charge from empty in communist California. I dig the fact that Tesla's are more American made than any car on the road. The Model Y is USA's number 1car, the Model 3 is number 2, the Model X is number 5, the Model S is in 6th when it comes to using the most resources from the USA, made in Texas and California.

View attachment 1226005
Worse for the environment then my ice that’s for sure

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
My neighborhood is really old. Lots of pre war stuff. Lucky I have a new home built in 66….. thank god for that…

I am very familiar with knob and tube and also screw in fuses….

Lots of knob and tube here. Matter of fact a lot of small old places are bought as tear downs due to their premium location and replaced with a McMansion. One of the justifications is a modernization of utilities….👍

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
GF already dinged her door on her Tesla. It wasn’t a scratch but a 3 inch tear or rip in the panel. I think the quote to fix is 5k