WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The new 2024 Rivian SUV R1S - 390 mile range - 7700lbs tow package - 3 Feet of water.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
This EV SUV is on my radar. Rivian started taking orders w/ $1000 deposit.

A5B3692B-D16E-40BC-9A75-287C410CD8CB.jpeg

Now all I need are a few charging stations at the boat ramps. šŸ˜‰

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The EV builders need to offer a down-market version of they are going to survive. Rivian is on pretty shakey financial ground right now.

Point being that most people aren't going to knocking down multiple hour/day road trips in these cars. Case in point I see a number of Rivians around town, but never see them out on the expressway so they are essentially local runabouts.

So how about knocking it off with the 32 way adjustable front seats, aniline leather and open pore wood trims? You can skip the panoramic sunroofs while you are at it. Maybe the kids can do without heated and ventilated second row seats as well.

The very base model comes in a $78k, I could imagine stripping the car down could knock 10-15k off that price, and still have a very nice daily driver.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
50% is what most are reporting.
So 200 miles.
Only the quad motor has the towing capacity. estimated price when I built one was 100k

Those are numbers for towing a stand up jet ski šŸ¤£

Figure 1/4 to 1/3 range towing something like a boat or car

dribble

Reaction score
People think they're being soooo green going electric little do they know it destroys more land than oil drilling getting the rare earth minerals for the batteries!
Or for some people buying an EV works for their situation. Iā€™m all for people choosing one if thatā€™s what they want. Iā€™m all against the enviro Nazis dictating what weā€™re supposed to buy.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The EV builders need to offer a down-market version of they are going to survive. Rivian is on pretty shakey financial ground right now.

Point being that most people aren't going to knocking down multiple hour/day road trips in these cars. Case in point I see a number of Rivians around town, but never see them out on the expressway so they are essentially local runabouts.

So how about knocking it off with the 32 way adjustable front seats, aniline leather and open pore wood trims? You can skip the panoramic sunroofs while you are at it. Maybe the kids can do without heated and ventilated second row seats as well.

The very base model comes in a $78k, I could imagine stripping the car down could knock 10-15k off that price, and still have a very nice daily driver.

These EV makers know their target market.

The EV MFGs canā€™t compete at that discounted price point, and know EVs are basically just novelty or secondary transportation for the well off.

It would take massive government intervention to get EVs to Camry pricing.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
These EV makers know their target market.

They MFGs canā€™t compete at that discounted price point, and know EVs are basically just novelty or secondary transportation for the well off.

It would take massive government intervention to get EVs to Camry pricing.
The EV makers are chasing Elon.

Who said anything about Camry pricing? I just.dont want a high zoot trim level and the associated price tag.

Wonder if they'd sell a private individual the fleet trim level?

Weren't you the one telling us that we can buy cheap pickups if we just uncheck a few options boxes?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The EV makers are chasing Elon.

Who said anything about Camry pricing? I just.dont want a high zoot trim level and the associated price tag.

Wonder if they'd sell a private individual the fleet trim level?

Weren't you the one telling us that we can buy cheap pickups if we just uncheck a few options boxes?

They are chasing Elon because that is where the money is.

The ā€œfleet levelā€ Lightning only has a range of 230 miles.. think 60-80 miles towing.

Starts at $56k

And yes, you can get a gas powered 4 door truck for $50k.

NicPaus

Reaction score
50% is what most are reporting.
So 200 miles.
Only the quad motor has the towing capacity. estimated price when I built one was 100k
My neighbor 2 doors over recently bought 1. 95k He is not very happy with it. Biggest problem was the 220 power he thought he had is 110. Needs a sparky to run new lines. Takes 2 days to charge it. So it sits in driveway every other day and he drives his old truck. The bed is small and so is the truck. He had some wood in it few weeks ago. 2x4 look like they were halfway hanging out. Definitely not a work oriented truck.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
People think they're being soooo green going electric little do they know it destroys more land than oil drilling getting the rare earth minerals for the batteries!
Most are not thinking green. They are thinking $5-$10 a gallon fuel, and $200 synthetic oil changes. This has 3rd row seating. Iā€™m not sure if $78k EV pencils out to = $55k f-150 and fuel.

I talked to the service advisor at Dodge about their service department ramping up to EVā€™s, he said they have a ways to go, but improving. The Dodge EV Charger is on my radar as well.

Im 62. Im still working, and making good money. 200 miles is more than enough tow range, to haul my 21ā€™r boat and trailer to the lake and back, with 50 gallons of fuel onboard. If it fits in my garage, itā€™s even more of a plus.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Most are not thinking green. They are thinking $5-$10 a gallon fuel, and $200 synthetic oil changes. This has 3rd row seating. Iā€™m not sure if $78k EV pencils out to = $55k f-150 and fuel.

I talked to the service advisor at Dodge about their service department ramping up to EVā€™s, he said they have a ways to go, but improving. The Dodge EV Charger is on my radar as well.

Im 62. Im still working, and making good money. 200 miles is more than enough tow range, to haul my 21ā€™r boat and trailer to the lake and back, with 50 gallons of fuel onboard. If it fits in my garage, itā€™s even more of a plus.
Yore close to retirement. Why would you throw yore money away?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
People are wising up to the scam that electric vehicles are right now . I canā€™t wait to see what chaos will ensue when the deadlines arrive ! Anarchy will prevail !

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
People are wising up to the scam that electric vehicles are right now . I canā€™t wait to see what chaos will ensue when the deadlines arrive ! Anarchy will prevail !

Deadlines will evaporate in a couple years

gqchris

Reaction score
My buddy has one. He seems to like it. Says it has a computer glitch once a month and he has to get it fixed.

He sent me this pick last week. Wife took it to get food. Car only has a few hundred miles on it. You can guess the rest. Lol. He was livid.
17168243-4893-4994-92A3-73444C57FA72.jpeg

Andy B.

Reaction score
Or for some people buying an EV works for their situation. Iā€™m all for people choosing one if thatā€™s what they want. Iā€™m all against the enviro Nazis dictating what weā€™re supposed to buy.
Exactly just like forcing people to get the shot! We don't live in a free country anymore thanks to Liberals,dems and rhinos.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
For launching a boat, an EV should have an easier time with a slick ramp than an ICE vehicle.

An ICE vehicleā€™s traction control might be able to make adjustments a few times per second.

An EVā€™s traction control can make adjustments hundreds or more times per second.

But yeah, I want simple vehicles that donā€™t have a lot of shit that will break. Thatā€™s why older Toyotas still have value.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Our Sierra EV Denali has a estimated delivery date in 11 months:
754HP / 785 Torque/400 mile range
Fun to drive, insane power and free charging at home is my motivation.
IMG_2693.jpeg
IMG_2672.jpeg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Love the looks except for the headlights.
For some odd reason reminds me of:
IMG_2723.jpeg

As we speak the Rivian charging network is free and available to all EVs.

Of the half dozen EV charging companies with locations all over the US none are simple, easy to use, reliable nor anywhere near as good as the Tesla network.

They just seem to get more complicated, frustrating to use and broken.

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
For some odd reason reminds me of:
View attachment 1224530

As we speak the Rivian charging network is free and available to all EVs.

Of the half dozen EV charging companies with locations all over the US none are simple, easy to use, reliable nor anywhere near as good as the Tesla network.

They just seem to get more complicated, frustrating to use and broken.

The more Tesla innovates with stuff like a gigapress that continues to drive costs out of production, the more foolish legacy carmakers look.

Tesla didnā€™t invent the gigapress. Other carmakers had every chance to jump on a machine that makes 300+ assembly robots obsolete.

Theyā€™ve done more to advance automobile manufacture in a decade, than legacy carmakers accomplished in the previous 5 decades.

Singleton

Reaction score
My neighbor 2 doors over recently bought 1. 95k He is not very happy with it. Biggest problem was the 220 power he thought he had is 110. Needs a sparky to run new lines. Takes 2 days to charge it. So it sits in driveway every other day and he drives his old truck. The bed is small and so is the truck. He had some wood in it few weeks ago. 2x4 look like they were halfway hanging out. Definitely not a work oriented truck.

I have same issues. 110 Panel at house is maxed. Pull new line and new panel is 25k ish, since city box is 3 houses down.

My paid for Yukon, Jeep and 350 are not moving from my garage anytime soon

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The more Tesla innovates with stuff like a gigapress that continues to drive costs out of production, the more foolish legacy carmakers look.

Tesla didnā€™t invent the gigapress. Other carmakers had every chance to jump on a machine that makes 300+ assembly robots obsolete.

Theyā€™ve done more to advance automobile manufacture in a decade, than legacy carmakers accomplished in the previous 5 decades.

Begs the questionā€¦ how much have unions hindered innovation for legacy automakers?

pronstar

Reaction score

And some guys want a a different take on a truck that can also embarrass a Ram TRX heads-upā€¦and quite a few exotics šŸ‘

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

With that tech & just a nod of the head Musk will dbl production.

Theyā€™ve taken most the copper out of their motors and fazing-in elimination of rare earth and lithium in their batteries.

No Union, no advertising, his own charging network that works, the other mfgs will have to offer different designs other than Teslas to survive. - and drastically cut employees.

Elon is a Tony Stark.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
And some guys want a a different take on a truck that can also embarrass a Ram TRX heads-upā€¦and quite a few exotics šŸ‘

Have to keep the speed under 150 or get kicked off the track so the Tesla drivers sandbag when they take and just keep the lead.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How far will it tow?

It wonā€™t be towing. Our 2024 Dmax 3500 does the towing.

But since you asked the same distance towing in its rated trailer weight class as our Dmax when towing in its rated trailer weight class.

This from the reports from the GM proving ground testers according to TFLEV who added itā€™s probably very accurate tests.

Last edited:

Javajoe

Reaction score
I think most people who buy EVā€™s could give a shit about going green and just like the cars. My wife has a 3 and I have a diesel truck. She is not a greeny at all

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My buddy has one. He seems to like it. Says it has a computer glitch once a month and he has to get it fixed.

He sent me this pick last week. Wife took it to get food. Car only has a few hundred miles on it. You can guess the rest. Lol. He was livid. View attachment 1224397

Common problem Iā€™ve read. Needs tires that bulge out more goes the tales.
Out of Spec YouTube channel mentioned it too in their tests.

Iā€™d never get worked up at the wife for that.
Her EV6 has tech that keeps her distance from everything anyway.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think most people who buy EVā€™s could give a shit about going green and just like the cars. My wife has a 3 and I have a diesel truck. She is not a greeny at all

I agree, none of them really care. Itā€™s America - Buy whatever you want.

The cars and charging infrastructure are decidedly worse for the environment and for humanity.

pronstar

Reaction score
Do we really think Rivian is going to be around in a year or two?

Unless the Biden administration steps in and saves the fucking day by heaping more shit on taxpayers, I doubt it.

They had a market cap of $150B, and now IMHO itā€™s over-valued at $12B

Last edited:

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Consensus is a pretty strong buy. Heck, their cash reserve is bigger than their market cap.

I own a few hundred shares and Iā€™m going to play it out. Likely wait until 2024 to see what happens.

rrrr

Reaction score

I've never understood why some people think it's impressive an electric vehicle can "beat" any ICE powered vehicle in a quarter mile run. It's like the pony that can do addition by pawing the ground after the trainer asks it what's two plus two.

A cute trick, but really meaningless.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
They are chasing Elon because that is where the money is.

The ā€œfleet levelā€ Lightning only has a range of 230 miles.. think 60-80 miles towing.

Starts at $56k

And yes, you can get a gas powered 4 door truck for $50k.

The more I thought about; the reason the EV makers are only doing high end vehicles is because of their limited production capacity. Rivian can realistically produce a car once a half hour. They need to get down to about a car every 10 minutes, at least, and they can't. Rivian would be over-run if they lowered the price to compete with the Ford Lightning. Even Elon realized what was going to happen with a $30k Model 3 and nixed that trim level.

I've never understood why some people think it's impressive an electric vehicle can "beat" any ICE powered vehicle in a quarter mile run. It's like the pony that can do addition by pawing the ground after the trainer asks it what's two plus two.

I can't decide if you are kidding or not. I'd venture that most on the guys on this board are more interested in straight line performance over any other metric when it comes to a vehicle. It's one reason we all love muscle cars, that feeling of getting squished back in the seat when you stand on the gas. EV performance in a quarter mile is a huge reason people buy them.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

He sent me this pick last week. Wife took it to get food. Car only has a few hundred miles on it. You can guess the rest. Lol. He was livid. View attachment 1224397
Why was he livid? I thought there was an expectation that a wife would do that. Mine did it to her Tesla is the first week of ownerships. šŸ˜¢šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I have same issues. 110 Panel at house is maxed. Pull new line and new panel is 25k ish, since city box is 3 houses down.

My paid for Yukon, Jeep and 350 are not moving from my garage anytime soon
Where do you folks live where you've only got 110V service to your homes ?? Are these 1930-40's built homes ?

pronstar

Reaction score

I can see the appeal, but itā€™s short-lived.
With so many hyper-quick EVs, itā€™s not a differentiator anymore.

Iā€™m not often requesting all of the beans from our 5.3L trucks very often, so all of that acceleration isnā€™t something Iā€™m really looking for in a vehicle.