WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The demise of the Republic

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
No statistic, you said YOU don't want to work hard, as in ME (a white American).. Show a little respect for your "FELLOW" Americans. Lazy or not we as Americans regardless of our ethnic background should be working together to make this country great again. Maybe you should read the OP's post again....

I don't know what u do and won't comment because I'm sure all the posts I've read are just fun and games [emoji13]

Hammer

Reaction score
I sold weed to a union guy and his son also union. I got let go from ups over a failed drug test. They asked if I wanted a real job. I showed up the next morning they sent me to the union and I joined up.

Did you go to work at the same company as those who referred you ?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Did you go to work at the same company as those who referred you ?

Yup for 8 months then I got w the company I'm with now and it's been 5 years. He got me in and I've never called him looking for work. He respects that. He got me in I made my way

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
How would you know non union quality is shit ? Because "the all mighty union" didn't teach them they must be incompetent ? All you know is what the union taught you. You probably use the term "scabs" as well.

You come off as a union snob sometimes that thinks he's "above" the non union carpenter, don't hate I hard workers in the trades because they are non union.

I respect that you are working hard to earn a living and get yours. Have some respect for the guys that don't need a union to get theirs...

May I ask how you got into the union ?

Yea V is starting to even piss me off with all the union cheer leading. :grumble: :)

Hammer

Reaction score
Because I've worked with several non union companies and non union guys. I've had non union contractors brag to people about how they have union guys doing the work. Non union isn't offered the training union guys are. I'll put my union pay check on the line against anyone that wants to race and put up quality work. I'll back up what I say

I'm not questioning your work, just like you shouldn't question non union guys work. Hell the house you live in was probably built buy a non union carpenters, better sell it before the "shit work" falls apart. If it was, you wouldn't be able to afford it. Lol

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'm not questioning your work, just like you shouldn't question non union guys work. Hell the house you live in was probably built buy a non union carpenters, better sell it before the "shit work" falls apart. If it was, you wouldn't be able to afford it. Lol

I've said numerous times how poor the quality of work is in my house. I'll re do it all but slowly it's expensive [emoji2]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407537120.782075.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407537128.708211.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407537136.349107.jpg

[emoji2] ugly

Hammer

Reaction score
I don't know what u do and won't comment because I'm sure all the posts I've read are just fun and games [emoji13]

All my post are fun in games but I take comments like you and us seriously.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You are missing my point. Just because you read a book in a union classroom doesn't mean you know your shit. It goes both ways, just because a guy didn't read a book in a union classroom doesn't mean he doesn't know his shit.

I understand that but there's more to it. [emoji2] I didn't mean to offend you if I did I apologize I can promise u I'm far from a racist but that's for you to decide

Hammer

Reaction score
I understand that but there's more to it. [emoji2] I didn't mean to offend you if I did I apologize I can promise u I'm far from a racist but that's for you to decide

You didn't offend me, I'm not going to judge you by what you say, just for the quality of work you do. :p

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Our new building had one non-union contractor, among many union contractors.

So a particular union decided to picket our building for three months...using scabs - the picketers weren't even union workers.
I have no idea how this was supposed to make a "hire union" point.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Our new building had one non-union contractor, among many union contractors.

So a particular union decided to picket our building for three months...using scabs - the picketers weren't even union workers.
I have no idea how this was supposed to make a "hire union" point.

It doesn't help at all. Most construction unions are not to happy with this one union. BTW its more a demonstration then a sanctioned picket line.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Unless shit has changed, carpenters don't hang drywall or do "laborer" jobs.

Or what people now call carpenters has changed to be "politically correct"

Brian

He's nothing but a "Dumb Drywaller" that happens to belong to the carpenters union.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I'm pretty good at gfrg columns too [emoji4]

Taking your post count into consideration it appears that you're really good at multitasking or you just fuck off all day at work. :yikes

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Taking your post count into consideration it appears that you're really good at multitasking or you just fuck off all day at work. :yikes

I'm not working right now I'm taking time to watch my son. Doing odd jobs here and there for pocket change at night time. The boat will b done this week I'm taking my last long weekend vacation and then it's back to it. I've taken a summer vacation every year and love it [emoji2](probably has a lot to do w my post count I play mr mom all day)

Wheeler

Reaction score
I'm not working right now I'm taking time to watch my son. Doing odd jobs here and there for pocket change at night time. The boat will b done this week I'm taking my last long weekend vacation and then it's back to it. I've taken a summer vacation every year and love it [emoji2]

Does your union allow this type of activity? We had a word that we used for our union guys worked on non union jobs. :hmm

Ps: don't let these guy get to you, I can still hang 5/8 12 by myself.

Hammer

Reaction score
View attachment 358374
I'm pretty good at gfrg columns too [emoji4]

Is a skill or table saw part of your tools ? How about a nail gun?

I'm willing to bet your bags consist of yellow tin snips, vise grips, some pan head and drywall screws, and a screw gun. Plus a trusty ole chop saw to cut the studs.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Does your union allow this type of activity? We had a word that we used for our union guys worked on non union jobs. :hmm

Ps: don't let these guy get to you, I can still hang 5/8 12 by myself.

I'm not really doing construction work. Weird shit like filling vape juice bottles and putting labels on them

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
you are 'scabbing' on the side ? Unemployment by choice ? I think I would have purchased a better built house (union labor ?) for my family, way before I bought a new boat. "Priorities of the old and young".

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Is a skill or table saw part of your tools ? How about a nail gun?

I'm willing to bet your bags consist of yellow tin snips, vise grips, some pan head and drywall screws, and a screw gun. Plus a trusty ole chop saw to cut the studs.

I have a skill saw for cutting plywood and a nail gun I never use. Everything else you're right on except I like red snips and I usually have a laser. Trying to walk around w just a chalk box and prints though [emoji106](yellows are great for corner bead)

Wheeler

Reaction score
I'm not really doing construction work. Weird shit like filling vape juice bottles and putting labels on them

That reminds me... What was that juice that all the Realtor's were selling back in '08? :D

Wheeler

Reaction score
I have a skill saw for cutting plywood and a nail gun I never use. Everything else you're right on except I like red snips and I usually have a laser. Trying to walk around w just a chalk box and prints though [emoji106](yellows are great for corner bead)

Don't listen to hammer, he doesn't even know what the color or the handle indicates much less the proper name of the tools. :D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Nobody in my union company is lazy or they db at the hall. I've never said any coworker was lazy. I've never said non union guys a lazy I said their quality is shit

Wow this thread has really blown up while I was out having fun most of the day:)

I have a question on the above I quoted.
Does this pertain strictly to your trades..construction.Or just in general?

Hammer

Reaction score
Don't listen to hammer, he doesn't even know what the color or the handle indicates much less the proper name of the tools. :D

If memory serves. Red snips=right green snips=left

Hammer

Reaction score
Wow this thread has really blown up while I was out having fun most of the day:)

I personally don't to think he is qualified to answer. He only has 5 years of union experience. He's 26, he's only been out of high school for 8 years, 5 or 6 of which he's been working union. That leaves 2 years of "non union" experience, depending on how long he worked at fed ex or ups...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Did your union schooling not teach you that sometimes wood isn't "true" or straight. It can also warp if out in the weather. :rolleyes: :D

The cracks are from trying to fill gaps w mud. Even if that 3" door leg is out of square (framing and drywall) the corner bead and some good floating would fix it. But this house was probably a piece work job blow and go.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

It's kind of an unfair generalization on my part

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
There are some non union custom home builders that do some crazy shit I wouldn't even know where to start.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Product... the labor is the same... When some says I'm going to give you two dollars for every sheet u hang guess what. Production will go up but quality will go down.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Product... the labor is the same... When some says I'm going to give you two dollars for every sheet u hang guess what. Production will go up but quality will go down.

And once again I ask,does this apply to your trade or in general?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'd say general if u were paid by the number of boats sprayed u might speed up or take shortcuts right? (I'm asking) I take too much pride in my work which is y I can't do piece work I wouldn't survive

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Someone is paying me good money for something i have a hard time walking away from something that's not right.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'd say general if u were paid by the number of boats sprayed u might speed up or take shortcuts right? (I'm asking) I take too much pride in my work which is y I can't do piece work I wouldn't survive

And there it is.

I hate to break it to you pal,but by your logic you paid Cobra a bunch of money for a product that,by your logic is shit.
Trust me,the guy that sprayed your boat is piece work,as am I.
The laminators,assembly guys,carpet guy,every single person who had a hand in building your boat is non union,so it must be shit,right?

Most boat shops pay piece work for gel and lamination,many even pay riggers piece work.
The other side of the coin here is if things are slow an hourly guy can make a 4 hour job an 8 hour job.
I can't speak for any other Gelcoater only my experience.Know what happens when I fuck up a little? The cost to fix my fuck up,ie;paying a repair guy comes right off the top of my invoice amount.
Know what happens if I fuck up big?
The boat gets blown out,meaning I literally blow the gel out if the mold,spend hours and hours retaping and re spraying the part to get it right.
I quote a price to spray the boat,it doesn't matter if I nail it the first time or blow that bitch out 3 times,the price quoted is the price quoted.

Disclaimer***I do not agree with the logic V has put forth.
I believe Cobra and most all So Cal builders produce a quality product,and do so without holding hands with a union.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
And there it is.

I hate to break it to you pal,but by your logic you paid Cobra a bunch of money for a product that,by your logic is shit.
Trust me,the guy that sprayed your boat is piece work,as am I.
The laminators,assembly guys,carpet guy,every single person who had a hand in building your boat is non union,so it must be shit,right?

Most boat shops pay piece work for gel and lamination,many even pay riggers piece work.
The other side of the coin here is if things are slow an hourly guy can make a 4 hour job an 8 hour job.
I can't speak for any other Gelcoater only my experience.Know what happens when I fuck up a little? The cost to fix my fuck up,ie;paying a repair guy comes right off the top of my invoice amount.
Know what happens if I fuck up big?
The boat gets blown out,meaning I literally blow the gel out if the mold,spend hours and hours retaping and re spraying the part to get it right.
I quote a price to spray the boat,it doesn't matter if I nail it the first time or blow that bitch out 3 times,the price quoted is the price quoted.

Disclaimer***I do not agree with the logic V has put forth.
I believe Cobra and most all So Cal builders produce a quality product,and do so without holding hands with a union.
Is there even a gelcoaters union. :)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Forgive me if I am wrong, I view that as more of a design job, where you are working more with your mind, than your brawn.

You have my respect in that regard, I just don't have that gene.

Brian

Sorry man,I missed this post earlier.
I would say yes and no.
Sometimes I'm just handed a rendering and told "make it look like that",others we have a hand in design.
As far as brawn,meh...Depends on the day.
Once the first pot gets catalyst your in it till its done,be it 2 hours or 12,two pots of gel or 25 gallons.
There's no A/C in the booth.If it's 40 degrees you're working in it,if its 112 you're working in it.Through a mask,and layers of clothing.

Hammer

Reaction score
I would say yes and no.
Sometimes I'm just handed a rendering and told "make it look like that",others we have a hand in design.
Once the first pot gets catalyst your in it till its done,be it 2 hours or 12,two pots of gel or 25 gallons.
There's no A/C in the booth.If it's 40 degrees you're working in it,if its 112 you're working in it.Through a mask,and layers of clothing.

You should get your gel coating brothers together and strike 'till you get fair working conditions and a reasonable hourly rate with benefits. Lol :D

500bbc

Reaction score
I would say yes and no.

Safety goggles hardhat steel toed boots long pants long sleeved shirt earplugs and a "water" break every fifteen minutes and then you strike once a year, right?:D

500bbc

Reaction score

You're not a carpenter, I don't think you really know what a carpenter is.:D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I make double that bud close to triple... Tell me how stupid I am for being union lol

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but this post by you makes my point about sustainability.

Near $60.00 an hour for hanging drywall is not a sustainable outlay in a well balanced economy.
You are an expendable tool for making money for those who sign your check.
I applaud your efforts and your work ethic, but if you don't realize what is happening in Your entire State (My State as well) you may be in for a rude awakening.
You are living in a bubble that will burst eventually...just like the unsustainable housing bubble that you're boys created not too long ago...

80% non- white workers is a telling stat...but not the way you may think.
You are in a regional phenomena. The Country and the World DO NOT rotate around your zip code.

I also know several Latino (Mexican) rig workers who are roughnecking at 60 YO and older. Hard working?? Fuck yes they are...is it a smart thing to be doing at 60 YO? Fuck no it isn't.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Lol I'm union that can't happen that's up the union is so important

LOL!!!!!

Sidenote: Have you seen the commercial where the pro Golfer said he started aching and got diagnosed with Sariatic Arthritis?

I was an athlete my entire life, even when I got fat and older I could still do most of what I always did.
Football scholarships, baseball all star, HS wrestling, all of it.
I even was a bowling shark who made a living in local scratch and no tap tournaments...I have 3 perfect games to my name.

Until a year ago I could run all day, work on my boats, wash and wax everything I own, fix our riding mowers, lay sprinkler systems, paint the house, you name it.

I'm 53. 8 months ago I was diagnosed with the same thing the Golfer has, and now take the same medicine he take...it is the only reason I can move at all.
Your body WILL betray you, make no mistake.

Oh yeah, I used to ski a little bit too!

backflip2.jpg