WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The 21' and under 70+ mph Boat pic thread

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
What's with the mufflers?
Flowmasters?

Dan'l

A time when Long Beach required boats to have mufflers when racing at the Stadium.

Race Boat April 78.jpg

Race boat oct 77.jpg

bodegricha.jpg

georgeNa.jpg

ss39.jpg

k-17.jpg

Clank123

Reaction score
How can i truly find out ?? Would love to find out i have a gem …thanks
From the pictures sure looks like a drop chine gull wing to me.
This bottom design was right before Sanger added the center pad like the Hondo.
Our old friend Grich told me the gull wing Sanger Hobbit that he drove was about the most ill handling circle boat he’d ever been in . Crashed it and broke his back if I remember right.
I have a picture somewhere, I know Jerry has it.
Be fun to work with your boat and get it handling well.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Boat is called OutKast and yeah it was owned by Steve Earl.
Oh yeah. I thought that seat looked familiar! Lol👍 Is that the deck with the space(?) mural?
Do you know who owns it now and where his other boats went

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I thought that seat looked familiar! Lol👍 Is that the deck with the space(?) mural?
Do you know who owns it now and where his other boats went

I posted the deck above with the star wars air brushing.

I don’t know who are the current owners or locations, but I’m sure Billy B knows.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

I don’t know who are the current owners or locations, but I’m sure Billy B knows.
DOH! I blew right by it. Always liked that boat. Thanks. RIP Steve, you were a cool dude.

Clank123

Reaction score
Our old friend Grich told me the gull wing Sanger Hobbit that he drove was about the most ill handling circle boat he’d ever been in . Crashed it and broke his back if I remember right.
Here’s Grich in the Drop Chine Hobbit…Bob Long went on to do pretty well with the next Hobbit.
Not sure what the bottom was but probably real close to Liberty that Gordy Jennings Sr. drove.
To see him and Julian run were a thing of beauty.
85A51AFA-A1ED-46BD-9A30-62068EEAAF78.jpeg

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
If you really want to play with one my dad has one here in Havasu that I've tried to get him to take out more. It's a straight deck though, not a bubble, but definitely a gullwing bottom. It's been a good family boat for us for almost 40 years!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Here’s Grich in the Drop Chine Hobbit…Bob Long went on to do pretty well with the next Hobbit.
Not sure what the bottom was but probably real close to Liberty that Gordy Jennings Sr. drove.
To see him and Julian run were a thing of beauty.
View attachment 1106046

I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed Liberty was a gull bottom. In this ad they called it a 19" which I don't believe. It doesn't look like a 19 to me. Gordy said he doesn't know, but he said the boat was in Orange County and he knew where it was 20+ years ago. Maybe it will resurface someday.

Liberty 001.jpg

It doesn't look 19 here and I don't think there was more than one.

Untitled-Scanned-06.jpg

It's too bad this pic doesn't show a little lower on the hull.

Liberty 1.jpg

In this photo the bottom looks like it has a slight V like the family ski.

Lib dig.jpg
Untitled-Scanned-05.jpg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed Liberty was a gull bottom. In this ad they called it a 19" which I don't believe. It doesn't look like a 19 to me. Gordy said he doesn't know, but he said the boat was in Orange County and he knew where it was 20+ years ago. Maybe it will resurface someday.

View attachment 1106067

View attachment 1106068

View attachment 1106069

View attachment 1106070 View attachment 1106071

View attachment 1106067

View attachment 1106068

View attachment 1106069

View attachment 1106070 View attachment 1106071
I know where liberty is at, just saw it last Thursday. Motor was pulled but boat looks good otherwise

Clank123

Reaction score
I know where liberty is at, just saw it last Thursday. Motor was pulled but boat looks good otherwise
Wow!
That’s fantastic!
That boat for sure is one of the “Holy Grail” boats of boat racing history.
If you weren’t around when Liberty and Cold Fire battled every race, it’s just hard to describe the battles they had.
Gordy Sr. was one talented driver for sure.
Two questions SOCALCRICKETT…
Does the current owner have any desire to restore/display the boat?
I am part of the Team putting together the Long Beach Marine Stadium wing of the Lions Dragstrip Mueseum and Liberty would be an awesome addition to the BFF Panic Mouse and BFH Shockwave(I hope to have it back from Billy soon so I can rig it) that will be displayed there along with some other “guest” boats.
I’d do the labor to restore it for free just to get it out for people to see.

If there is no interest in doing that, I’d buy ya lunch if you could arrange to meet there and let me get the measurements off of it.
I keep a form on every boat I build and many that I haven’t(including a few done in the dark of night), so I can replicate set ups as needed from boat to boat. It would take about a half hour to complete.
There has never been a better working Sanger circle boat and the knowledge gained from documenting that legendary boat could help Sanger owners a bunch to get their boats working better.
Let me know.
Appreciate it.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score

I believe Outcast became Steve's Center Steer capsule boat. Which John Grijalva now owns and campains in PS/GPS100 if they get enough capsules. Oops, I was wrong about Outcast. Will update if i hear more.

Last edited:

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
So I will stop by the shop liberty is at later. I'll check to see if the owner is ok with the information being put out there, ill send a pm to clank here in a minute

DC-88

Reaction score
Speaking of Liberty , I ran into Ron Woodruff’s son the other day and he told me his dad had passed away - rip

timstoy

Reaction score
Fun story about your trailer. Jerry Hanger installed three axles on the dolly trailer to match the three axles on the enclosed trailer and because no one else had done it before. Larry Dahlhoff and I went to Jerry’s shop and the first thing Larry said to Jerry was do you think the trailer will float with six tires. The look on Jerry’s face was priceless as he didn’t think of that! Turns out the trailer did not float but one person could lift back of the trailer to the surface in the water so it was close! I miss those days, good times!

timstoy

Reaction score
Someone got a good picture of my rear putting Jerry Hanger’s K17 on the trailer! Thank you Jerry and others who posted these photos on this site. Brings back great memories and fun time’s in my fifty plus years of boat racing. I have been fortunate to make friends with many drivers and race crews over the years. It also makes me sad to see many great drivers and crew members that have passed over the years. Godspeed.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Someone got a good picture of my rear putting Jerry Hanger’s K17 on the trailer! Thank you Jerry and others who posted these photos on this site. Brings back great memories and fun time’s in my fifty plus years of boat racing. I have been fortunate to make friends with many drivers and race crews over the years. It also makes me sad to see many great drivers and crew members that have passed over the years. Godspeed.

I shot that photo but I do have photo archives from Grich, Gordy, The Arizona Navy and few from Gottaminute. The Ewald pics I had a hand in restoring so I have a fair amount of those too.

The old pics are fun to look at for those of us who love nostalgia.

I’m not sure I know who you are. Have we met?

timstoy

Reaction score
I shot that photo but I do have photo archives from Grich, Gordy, The Arizona Navy and few from Gottaminute. The Ewald pics I had a hand in restoring so I have a fair amount of those too.

The old pics are fun to look at for those of us who love nostalgia.

I’m not sure I know who you are. Have we met?
Yes we have met. I’m Tim Garland, Larry Dahlhoffs brother in law and we were partners in Motor Magic Racing Engines. I worked on all of Larry’s boats PC98, K18, K17 and GN369. Larry moved to Big River and semi retired but still did machine work and build motors. After Larry passed our nephew Heath Hebert bought the Motor Magic assets and opened Advanced Racing Engines and began racing GN369. My son Gary raced GN 27 for several years and then Heaths daughter Kaylee started racing GN18. We built hundreds of boat motors and machine work for many racers and customers over the years.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Yes we have met. I’m Tim Garland, Larry Dahlhoffs brother in law and we were partners in Motor Magic Racing Engines. I worked on all of Larry’s boats PC98, K18, K17 and GN369. Larry moved to Big River and semi retired but still did machine work and build motors. After Larry passed our nephew Heath Hebert bought the Motor Magic assets and opened Advanced Racing Engines and began racing GN369. My son Gary raced GN 27 for several years and then Heaths daughter Kaylee started racing GN18. We built hundreds of boat motors and machine work for many racers and customers over the years.

Oh good grief! How did I not piece that together? Sorry Tim! All I can say is I'm an idiot! 😊