WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Team JBB Headquarters Expansion..

Bigger shop, or Swimming Pool

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Director...
Reaction score
Curious......It's looking like I can afford a larger shop to work in, or a swimming pool....If you wanted both, and could swing only one.....which would you go with?

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In your climate, shop hands down.. In Havasu.. Having to make that choice right now and it's looking like pool. Lol. In carlsbad I'd go with the shop again..

RD

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Shop, my pool is nothing more than a burden to me. Not to mention I had a dog drown in it and I can't stand to look at it. I know you have little dogs........

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Shop.

I wonder how your wife would view this decision? :D :D

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Shop. Pools are a pain east of the rockies. I am just finishing my 40 x 90. final inspection next week. I can't wait.

Director...
Reaction score
Keep in mind I already have a 26 X 30 shop....I have run short of space however...

dego_red

Reaction score
You'll run out of space with a bigger shop too...

red

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind I already have a 26 X 30 shop....I have run short of space however...

My 26 x 32 shop is full of the shit that won't fit in the 22 x 26 shop. :D

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
i have thought about the pool thing but 99% of the people i talk to with pools hate them unless they are retired now i want a spa and a bitchin outdoor kitchen

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I want both. But if I really had to choose I'd go with a big shop. I have a pool in Havasu already. :thumbsup:D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Shop. Pools are a pain east of the rockies. I am just finishing my 40 x 90. final inspection next week. I can't wait.

Yup, I only know a few people with pools "back east" and they all hate them.
That's why community pools are so popular.

I'd go with a shop for sure.
Make it large enough, and put a jacuzzi in it :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Pool. I couldnt live without mine.

You already have a shop. How bout you spend less time cleaning up dog poop and more time cleaning up your shop!

:D:D

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
I'd go with a shop for sure.
Make it large enough, and put a jacuzzi in it :D

This is a good option that might satisfy the wife.
If you entertain a lot, go with the pool.
And look at the tax and insurance costs for each as well. The pool will raise your property taxes. Unlees of course, you take an above ground pool and bury it halfway, and build a deck around it. It would be a lot cheaper, so you could afford both. ;)

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I have a pool now and I say go for the shop. You would use the hell out of the pool for the first couple years, then it would become a burden. I get so sick of brushing, checking chemicals, fixing things, back washing, buying chlorine etc and then nobody uses it. If you lived in a Havasu, Phoenix, vegas type climate I wold tell you go for the pool.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Pool hands down, then we get lots of fun threads from JBB about fixing pool shit. He already has a shop and a forum for what goes on there and the lack of updates tells me he's really not interested in that anymore. :D

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
I've had a dozen homes with pools and a couple with shops. There is no way on earth the pool will get the use or provide the service of a shop. The shop doesn't eat chemicals, need a weekly cleaning, evaporate, need a safety fence and it never needs to be skimmed, back-flushed or replastered. The pool can't keep your vehicles safe, out of the weather & storms. It can't store your crap, provide a work place for your projects or easily be closed up and secured when needed.

IMG_0208-1.jpg

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
shop....I am filling in my pool to build a shop....nuff said!!!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Shop for me.....Pool for the wife. Let the war begin!:skull

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Definetly Shop.

We don't have a pool but my next door neighbor has a pool and they are always out of town and they let us use their pool and my kids water their plants and watch their house etc...so it works out just fine for us :champagne:

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Shop. Pool is a money pit

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
I've had a dozen homes with pools and a couple with shops. There is no way on earth the pool will get the use or provide the service of a shop. The shop doesn't eat chemicals, need a weekly cleaning, evaporate, need a safety fence and it never needs to be skimmed, back-flushed or replastered. The pool can't keep your vehicles safe, out of the weather & storms. It can't store your crap, provide a work place for your projects or easily be closed up and secured when needed.

IMG_0208-1.jpg

Who dented the Tahoe Bobby?:D I think you had more boats in that garage last time I was there? or at least a Shiada I remember. Miss seeing you guys and won't make Fireturd this year, have to go back to Atlanta for product training that week. Probably be in Feb though since they are moving it.

and since I don't want to be a total thread jacker, I would go with the shop as well, like said, pools are more work and less enjoyement from the work.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
How many half nekid women have you ever seen in a shop??

I think all you guys that voted for the shop must be :gayfight

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I voted shop.... mainly if it is your source of income and it will make you more money, then you can just save up for a pool again.

But if it's not going to make you too much more money, I'd go pool!

yeah they're a pain in the ass sometimes, yeah they're maintenance, yeah they cost money.... but on those days that you do enjoy it, they're worth all the money in the world! :champagne:

H2O

Reaction score
The question is....

Will you come home several days a week to find your wife (or girlfriend, or both) floating around the shop naked???

DickieB

Reaction score
Shop...........hands down! About 5 years ago I spent 13K to redo the pool and tile, etc. Wish I would've filled it in. Can't stand to see it not sparkly clean so just about every day, I'm brushing, skimming leaves and emptying skimmers. Kids are gone, dog is gone, wish the pool was!:grumble:

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I'm going through this right now, and the shop is winning. I'm getting plans drawn for a 50x50 garage/shop right now.

Wavemaker

Reaction score
:hmm Expand or build a bigger shop if that will solve your need for more room. In a cold climate area, an enclosed, and heated pool area will be a costly proposition. Maybe get the wife a large kiddy pool and pool raft to float around on with the pool being placed in a nice set aside relaxing area of the shop. This might prevent her grumbling for awhile.

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
Who dented the Tahoe Bobby?:D I think you had more boats in that garage last time I was there? or at least a Shiada I remember. Miss seeing you guys and won't make Fireturd this year, have to go back to Atlanta for product training that week. Probably be in Feb though since they are moving it.

and since I don't want to be a total thread jacker, I would go with the shop as well, like said, pools are more work and less enjoyement from the work.

The Tahoe paint was just going away, but it is long gone! It went through four different kids before getting sold. The boat and car in the shop have since been finished along with many other vehicles. Do they look the same to you?

IMG_2391.jpg

newpaul.jpg

kgt

Reaction score
shop…..cobra needs more room…ya know in case ya wanna work on it…!!

flatnutz110

Reaction score
I have 11000 feet under roof only 4500 house math works for me.:champagne:

ks2socal

Reaction score
I priced a 60x100 Morton yesterday, so I say shop:thumbsup

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Just ask my wife. In our wedding vows she had to say that a house is simply a life support system for a garage. Twelve years later our garage is now three times larger than the house. A man needs his prioritys.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

How do u get any work done in something the size of a closet? Bigger shop. Lol

RD

Reaction score
How do u get any work done in something the size of a closet? Bigger shop. Lol

RD
It's tough, but I built an airplane in a 20x30 metal building. I really could have used the extra 6 foot width. One thing for sure, in Arizona, you need to have an a/c unit. Mine is cooled by a 220volt window unit I install in the wall. I can get it down to 68 degrees when its 118 degrees outside. I normally set it too 90, unless I'm working out there.

I'm kind of spoiled living in Phoenix, we have 5 lakes in the vicinity. For 6 months a year, our lakes are naturally heated. :thumbsup:D

For all the reasons listed in all the other post's, I would not own a home with a pool, (maybe consider renting one with a pool:hmm), but it better have a 3 car garage boat deep.

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
The best pool to have, is a neighbors pool. :D :thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Shop first, bring in a little more green and get the pool later with the profits the shop brings.
My shop is about 1350 sq.ft. and i thought i could never again run out of room...I have...
go big, Brian.

Director...
Reaction score
Shop first, bring in a little more green and get the pool later with the profits the shop brings.
My shop is about 1350 sq.ft. and i thought i could never again run out of room...I have...
go big, Brian.

To clarify...shop is just for side jobs, It is not where I earn my living....Cat 953 is here right now knocking down trees for the shop and pool, and digging the basement for the shop

IMG00247-20110922-1233.jpg

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Stop that expensive site preparation work and put the money into HPV vaccine for the whole family. :thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Cool, big dozer making new space is always cool...

keep the pics coming..

Director...
Reaction score
Got all the trees yanked out of the ground, and the shops baesment dug today....Heavy equipment is cool!

Pool & Shop 001 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 002 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 004 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 005 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 009 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 016 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 017 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 020 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 027 (Medium).jpg

Pool & Shop 030 (Medium).jpg