WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Also to add the steering input shaft to the rack. The bolt that keeps it tight kept on coming loose and they would go to turn and it would slip and cause a oh shit moment.

The sway bar is a horrible design on these machines. They can’t handle upgraded spring pressured from aftermarket springs and bigger tires.

The problem with the Honda is the whole chassis. Everything is so undersized and small. No way a stock one would handle and keep up with modern rzr, can am or speed UTV

Also the owner wants a pro r now and time to get rid of the Honda

Makes perfect sense.

When you modify something, you have to Expect that things will break from the extra stress and torque/leverage from oversized parts.

IF I break down and get one, it's gonna stay bone stock. My wanna be racer days are behind me. 😜

With age comes a cage as they say!

Thanks for sharing. 👍🏼

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense.

When you modify something, you have to Expect that things will break from the extra stress and torque/leverage from oversized parts.

IF I break down and get one, it's gonna stay bone stock. My wanna be racer days are behind me. 😜

With age comes a cage as they say!

Thanks for sharing. 👍🏼
We’re not talking heavily modified. Just a spring kit, and 30” tires here. The rest is safety stuff like a cage and belts.

I guess there is an ass for every seat. None of us are racers either however we routinely do 200 mile days and you are not going to get it done at 30 mph moving speed

pixrthis

Reaction score
Also to add the steering input shaft to the rack. The bolt that keeps it tight kept on coming loose and they would go to turn and it would slip and cause a oh shit moment.

The sway bar is a horrible design on these machines. They can’t handle upgraded spring pressured from aftermarket springs and bigger tires.

The problem with the Honda is the whole chassis. Everything is so undersized and small. No way a stock one would handle and keep up with modern rzr, can am or speed UTV

Also the owner wants a pro r now and time to get rid of the Honda
I have to disagree, we’ve ridden our Honda with a half dozen different groups and have yet to be left in the dust. We ride desert with recreational SXS’s so nobody in the groups we’ve been in are going 90 mph. We were the only car that volunteered to tow a really nice Baja back to Cal City from the Husky monument, none of the belt cars wanted anything to do with that. We haven’t had any problems other than flat tires yet, knock on wood. We had the Weller do the valving and it’s night and day. Our car gps’s 76 mph, we will turbo it when it needs to be faster but it’s great for what we’re doing now.
69611346631__85B1285D-F800-4F75-9D74-1BEEF45D3CC4.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have to disagree, we’ve ridden our Honda with a half dozen different groups and have yet to be left in the dust. We ride desert with recreational SXS’s so nobody in the groups we’ve been in are going 90 mph. We were the only car that volunteered to tow a really nice Baja back to Cal City from the Husky monument, none of the belt cars wanted anything to do with that. We haven’t had any problems other than flat tires yet, knock on wood. We had the Weller do the valving and it’s night and day. Our car gps’s 76 mph, we will turbo it when it needs to be faster but it’s great for what we’re doing now. View attachment 1259050

Honda has an Amazing reputation for Everything they build. 👍🏼

That Live Valve set up is bomb.

Plus being a midget, I fit in it nicely! 😁

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have to disagree, we’ve ridden our Honda with a half dozen different groups and have yet to be left in the dust. We ride desert with recreational SXS’s so nobody in the groups we’ve been in are going 90 mph. We were the only car that volunteered to tow a really nice Baja back to Cal City from the Husky monument, none of the belt cars wanted anything to do with that. We haven’t had any problems other than flat tires yet, knock on wood. We had the Weller do the valving and it’s night and day. Our car gps’s 76 mph, we will turbo it when it needs to be faster but it’s great for what we’re doing now. View attachment 1259050
Lol 76 mph?

I guess I am fast. Shit we cruise at 70 mph often. I’ve had my rzr at 98. You would be left in the dust. You won’t get lost just follow the dust.

Kidding aside. The Honda is great but needs more power and updated suspension like the Yami

pixrthis

Reaction score
Lol 76 mph?

I guess I am fast. Shit we cruise at 70 mph often. I’ve had my rzr at 98. You would be left in the dust. You won’t get lost just follow the dust.

Kidding aside. The Honda is great but needs more power and updated suspension like the Yami
I’d like to see you go 98 mph thru the trails we ride, not fire roads, trails with whoops, rocks, washouts, and turns. That would be iMpressive at 98 and a car that goes 76 will cruise at 70 if you choose to do so.
I’m also happy you don’t ride where we do so I don’t have to worry about you coming the other way.

sandshark1

Reaction score
Honda's are nice for cruising and do alright in the dunes. I would not complain driving one of the Proctor or Raceco desert race Talons.

Yamaha sounds bitchen when they are on the pipe. Suspension is not very fun in the whoops or rough stuff. Fun in the dunes with a turbo.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Honda's are nice for cruising and do alright in the dunes. I would not complain driving one of the Proctor or Raceco desert race Talons.

Yamaha sounds bitchen when they are on the pipe. Suspension is not very fun in the whoops or rough stuff. Fun in the dunes with a turbo.

Shut your face...

Dave says the Talon is NOT a performance car, and that's that! 😁

Hammer

Reaction score
Not Everyone wants to pretend to be Robbie Gordon Dave.

Some of us want to do extended recreational runs and actually get home un-broken! 😱

I know. It's a crazy concept, and highly unusual with most people. But my priority is reliability.

But to speak directly to Your point...

Do you have a SxS Joe? You keep touting the Talon..... How does yours run/ work?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Do you have a SxS Joe? You keep touting the Talon..... How does yours run/ work?

I don't.

I'm actually just posting links. Can you show me where I've said one thing good or bad about ANY SxS in tis thread?

I'll wait here. 😊

evantwheeler

Reaction score
They don't have to be ugly

View attachment 1259030
LT and cage make it look 1000% better, but i cant stand the front to rear upward rake body line. If the nose was higher and a bit boxier, and the rear was lower and more bed-like, it would be much more appealing. Speed knocked it out of the park as far as aesthetics goes. Best overall looking car on the market by far.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
LT and cage make it look 1000% better, but i cant stand the front to rear upward rake body line. If the nose was higher and a bit boxier, and the rear was lower and more bed-like, it would be much more appealing. Speed knocked it out of the park as far as aesthetics goes. Best overall looking car on the market by far.

Absolutely.

Love the look of the white one. 👍🏼

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’d like to see you go 98 mph thru the trails we ride, not fire roads, trails with whoops, rocks, washouts, and turns. That would be iMpressive at 98 and a car that goes 76 will cruise at 70 if you choose to do so.
I’m also happy you don’t ride where we do so I don’t have to worry about you coming the other way.
I try to stay off fire roads as much as possible.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Do people still go out to the desert to enjoy the ride, or is it just a race to the next drinking spot? If you win, is there a trophy?
i enjoy every ride i do. i did 3000 dirt miles last season, how many did you do? we drink at night not out riding. we cover alot of ground and have been pretty far out there

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Do people still go out to the desert to enjoy the ride, or is it just a race to the next drinking spot? If you win, is there a trophy?

My group does...

We have explored all over Dove Springs, Jawbone, Spangler and lately we have been exploring Death Valley and points east here in SoCal.

We have a bit of experience in Utah, Idaho and Oregon also.

Love to explore new places. In the desert or anywhere else.

20230101_102709.jpg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
i enjoy every ride i do. i did 3000 dirt miles last season, how many did you do? we drink at night not out riding. we cover alot of ground and have been pretty far out there
You’re right sir, I forgot this is RDP so unless you’re the fastest or put in the most miles, your opinion doesn’t count…sorry, hope you enjoy the trophy 🏆 lol

attitude

Reaction score
My buddies camp with two pretty famous off-road brothers, their dunning sessions might as well be races. They’ll door check, bump, spin, and occasionally flip each other. We’re talking 10-20 SXS on these rides, not my idea of fun especially when it’s my wallet on the line lol…

grumpy88

Reaction score
My group does...

We have explored all over Dove Springs, Jawbone, Spangler and lately we have been exploring Death Valley and points east here in SoCal.

View attachment 1259139
I agree . We used to go to Dove Springs with people who have been going there since the early 80s . It was always the same destinations . The wife and I started going on trips alone and just cruising down any old dirt path and we found amazing places are friends had never seen . Sometimes the tortis does win the race !

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I sure made the correct decision to take my vehicles to Robinson Automotive all these years in Lake Havasu City. Phuck dealership service centers. :)

pixrthis

Reaction score
My group does...

View attachment 1259139
We ride the same places with the exception of Death Valley. Would like to tag along next season.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Shut your face...

Dave says the Talon is NOT a performance car, and that's that! 😁

Joe there is nothing talon left on that talon. Lol

I’m a huge Honda fan and wish they’d build a performance sxs.. if they announced tonight my deposit would be in tomorrow.

The talon Jist isn’t a high performance machine like the Canned hams and rzrs

pixrthis

Reaction score

I’m a huge Honda fan and wish they’d build a performance sxs.. if they announced tonight my deposit would be in tomorrow.

Are the cars they’re racing against factory?

Ya I thought so and the Speed cars won’t be either. It’s all relative.

Cdog

Reaction score
So why don’t they put a sequential manual or tap shift gear box in SXS? Seems like it would be much more fun to drive.

I’d like to get into one in the next year or so. First I’m going to sell my Grom & buy a ktm 350 xcf. Then work on a SXS.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Are you trying to say you can go and compete with a stock RzR or Canned Ham??

Pretty sure we both know the answer to this, and it's no, you can't.

My BIL tried to race his Canned Ham and busted just about every suspension part on it. 🙄

None of these cars are built for competition. They are built for the recreational user.

Which car is better?

Ford or Chebby?

Android or iPhone?

Pepsi or Coke?

Everyone had different tastes!

Honda has always built The most reliable products. When I'm 100 miles out there in the middle of nowhere, that's what's important to ME.

If you Want to compete, Any car can be made race ready. Just bring your wallet and have fun.

👍🏼👍🏼

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So why don’t they put a sequential manual or tap shift gear box in SXS? Seems like it would be much more fun to drive.

I’d like to get into one in the next year or so. First I’m going to sell my Grom & buy a ktm 350 xcf. Then work on a SXS.

And again...

Screenshot_20230731_095902_Chrome.jpg

DoughBallin14

Reaction score

You have a grom maybe for sale sometime? Kinda been floating the idea around of having one for around town to the shop at work and back. Pm me when that day comes around.
Ps thanks for the offer on the charger converter this weekend. So far powermax warranty has shipped me one to exchange for free at the moment!

riverroyal

Reaction score
100 mph passing 50 vehicles. 98 in the desert in a one crash and your dead machine....
That BP is one bad mutha fucker.

Reactions: DLC

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

I was like you with my thinking on SXS just sitting back waiting. If you haven’t driven one of the newer can ams or RZRs you should.
I had a car you had to shift and really be on your game and have access and plenty of wheel time behind some very nice off-road cars.
This newer batch of SXS are just smiles for miles on all types of terrain.

Cdog

Reaction score
You have a grom maybe for sale sometime? Kinda been floating the idea around of having one for around town to the shop at work and back. Pm me when that day comes around.
Ps thanks for the offer on the charger converter this weekend. So far powermax warranty has shipped me one to exchange for free at the moment!
It’s a 2018. 9.5 out of 10 condition. 1300 ish miles. Tons of upgrades. Exhaust, clutch, 6 disk clutch plate, clutch springs, clutch cover with oil filter, dyno tuner, turn signals & license plate mods.
IMG_6032.jpeg

IMG_6030.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6038.jpeg

Cdog

Reaction score
I was like you with my thinking on SXS just sitting back waiting. If you haven’t driven one of the newer can ams or RZRs you should.
I had a car you had to shift and really be on your game and have access and plenty of wheel time behind some very nice off-road cars.
This newer batch of SXS are just smiles for miles on all types of terrain.
My dad has a 2018 1000 4 seater Rzr. I drove the shit out of it over thanksgiving. We all camped at Sundance at Parker.

I’d definitely want a turbo model. His was quick but not enough to scare me. 😂

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Are you trying to say you can go and compete with a stock RzR or Canned Ham??

Pretty sure we both know the answer to this, and it's no, you can't.

My BIL tried to race his Canned Ham and busted just about every suspension part on it. 🙄

None of these cars are built for competition. They are built for the recreational user.

Which car is better?

Ford or Chebby?

Android or iPhone?

Pepsi or Coke?

Everyone had different tastes!

Honda has always built The most reliable products. When I'm 100 miles out there in the middle of nowhere, that's what's important to ME.

If you Want to compete, Any car can be made race ready. Just bring your wallet and have fun.

👍🏼👍🏼

I love the Honda. Love the Kawasaki too. The challenge is at they’re both anemic and boring.

It’s all in what you’re looking to do. Are you a Jeep person or a trophy truck person.

No hate for the Honda. That car is underrated but, I’m not a Jeep guy.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
My dad has a 2018 1000 4 seater Rzr. I drove the shit out of it over thanksgiving. We all camped at Sundance at Parker.

I’d definitely want a turbo model. His was quick but not enough to scare me. 😂
You need to try one of the turbo 72 wide models!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I love the Honda. Love the Kawasaki too. The challenge is at they’re both anemic and boring.

It’s all in what you’re looking to do. Are you a Jeep person or a trophy truck person.

No hate for the Honda. That car is underrated but, I’m not a Jeep guy.

So that's it??

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world? 😁

RD wants a trophy truck with AC and heated seats, and a banging sound system! 🤣

I'm perfectly ok with boring. 😎

20210805_191521.jpg

SeanRitchie

Reaction score

I wish they all would. Then I would have enough business to offer a RDSUX discount.

One of the reasons the Polaris and Can-Am are popular is because the belt makes them easy to drive. When the Yamaha came out with the manual gearbox I thought a good number of people with Polaris/Cam-Ams were going to trade in for the Yamaha and the "sportier" feel the manual gearbox would offer, but that wasn't the case. A good number of people I have talked to that had the Yamaha and went back to a Polaris/Can-Am was because they did not care for having to shift too much.

I also thought that the gearboxes in the Yamaha were going to be having lots of issues, specifically with engagement dogs on the gears getting chewed from bad/mis-timed shifting, since we have seen our fair share of beat up dogs on the big sand car sequential transaxles from people who don't know how to properly shift them. But, Yamaha was smart and put in quite a bit of safety and logic into the ECU to make them shift properly through the electronics rather than relying on straight manual inputs from the driver (props to them).

This is one of the conversations I had with RG and why the Speed UTV is a 3-speed. 95% of drivers will only ever need to put them in high gear and let the belt do the work (I was not a part of the belt discussions, so I won't comment on the issues they are having with them). But, the ability to shift from Low-High-OD on the fly is a concern of mine, and something the user needs to understand how to properly operate them, otherwise be prepared to have your name added to the Weddle customer account list.

Cdog

Reaction score
I wish they all would. Then I would have enough business to offer a RDSUX discount.

One of the reasons the Polaris and Can-Am are popular is because the belt makes them easy to drive. When the Yamaha came out with the manual gearbox I thought a good number of people with Polaris/Cam-Ams were going to trade in for the Yamaha and the "sportier" feel the manual gearbox would offer, but that wasn't the case. A good number of people I have talked to that had the Yamaha and went back to a Polaris/Can-Am was because they did not care for having to shift too much.

I also thought that the gearboxes in the Yamaha were going to be having lots of issues, specifically with engagement dogs on the gears getting chewed from bad/mis-timed shifting, since we have seen our fair share of beat up dogs on the big sand car sequential transaxles from people who don't know how to properly shift them. But, Yamaha was smart and put in quite a bit of safety and logic into the ECU to make them shift properly through the electronics rather than relying on straight manual inputs from the driver (props to them).

This is one of the conversations I had with RG and why the Speed UTV is a 3-speed. 95% of drivers will only ever need to put them in high gear and let the belt do the work (I was not a part of the belt discussions, so I won't comment on the issues they are having with them). But, the ability to shift from Low-High-OD on the fly is a concern of mine, and something the user needs to understand how to properly operate them, otherwise be prepared to have your name added to the Weddle customer account list.
We run a SADEV sequential 6 speed in my FE2. No lift shift and no real need to blip on the downshift but it can be programed into the ECU. They're about to release a paddle shift upgrade that will have the auto blip. The tech is out there to do it. I hear so many complaining about the belt system. But I don't have one to speak from experience. Yet. From a racer’s perspective I felt the belt drive was kinda numb feeling on power in my dads 1000 Rzr.

8BA6DB21-5385-408B-AE51-06262998CD35.jpeg

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
So that's it??

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world? 😁

RD wants a trophy truck with AC and heated seats, and a banging sound system! 🤣

I'm perfectly ok with boring. 😎

View attachment 1259378

I’m only saying that I’m not a Jeep person. Appreciate them immensely but not my favorite. It’s not any more complex than that.

I can however appreciate a good chair and good view lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m only saying that I’m not a Jeep person. Appreciate them immensely but not my favorite. It’s not any more complex than that.

I can however appreciate a good chair and good view lol

I'm right there with you. 👍🏼

sandshark1

Reaction score
My group does...

View attachment 1259139
Jawbone/Dove Springs/Spangler areas are lots of fun. We go out there for 100+ mile day rides and will camp for the weekend every so often. We do a huge loop starting in Jawbone and working our way to Trona.

Last edited:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
They went from a 5 speed to a 6 speed for 2024, and first gear is supposed to be 40% lower than previous years.
Unfortunately that still doesn’t work for any real rock crawling. The crew I go with have needed 4 low many many times on trips. Big mistake for Yamaha not to have it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Jawbone/Dove Springs/Spangler areas is lots of fun. We go out there for 100+ mile day rides and will camp for the weekend every so often. We do a huge loop starting in Jawbone and working our way to Trona.

Awesome. Trona is our base camp for Death Valley.

I used to do rides like that on my quad back in the day. We would have the girls meet us for lunch at Randsburg (mainly to bring us more gas), and then loop back to DS again.

So much cool shit to explore out there! All kinna fun to be had. 👍🏼

Your group ever do Kennedy Meadows and Monanche?