WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

sandshark1

Reaction score
Look into the Keller Ball joints they are rebuildable w/ new internals! Life Time warranty super ATV ! No pounding and no snap ring to mess with
They also sell rebuild kits….

1 1/4 socket removes the gold cap pop in new stud & ball cap - thread in the gold cap & adjust the tension on the stud 45 -1 hour tops !

View attachment 1439947
View attachment 1439948
Those Keller ball joints are nice, but you have to keep on top of them to make sure everything is tight. My friend broke two of them in Glamis.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave what was the actual electrical issue they found, and what was the fix?

The guy who blew the belt in 10 miles with a new engine. Did he have any more belt issues? If so he needs to see if the motor trans alignment is right. I have not done an alignment on a turbo S and it uses shims. Im told it’s very important to follow a bolt pattern sequence and torque on the rear cover and use an alignment bar to make sure it does not change when tightening everything down.

As far as ball joints, I made my own portable press using a modified C clamp, and a piece of tubing. I’ve never broke a ball joint, or changed one in the field, but I did use my homemade tool at home to make sure it worked and it worked like a champ! Without any other damage, I’m guessing 45 min in the field to swap it out.

I went through about 3-4 inches of water at like 80 mph.. there is a connection to the boost sensor behind the rear seat.. somehow salt water got in it. They took it apart and sprayed some brake clean and put it back together. We didn’t have any grease or I would have added that for a permanent fix. I’ll grease it when I get home.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What broke on the Can Am? The owner has an interesting tire and wheel choice. Must have horrible steering feedback with those wide off-set wheels.

That’s my father in law he bought it at government auction out of Puerto Rico for like 25k.. it’s got a monster stereo and more bullshit on it than any car I have ever seen.. lol. Bypass exhaust you name it.. electric windshield it’s actually pretty fine for a Florida or PR special.

The wheel and tire are mexi special for sure but I gotta admit they have done exceptionally well in the sand down here!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just want to say we haven’t wrenched in my shit like this! @Bpracing1127

Keep on hating turbo.. if you were here I’d tow you too!

IMG_6782.jpeg

Albacore

Reaction score
Damn, it kinda looked like fun.
I assume you’re thinking very highly of the oil cooler and anything else you did. I’m more curious to hear about that stuff.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
What broke on the Can Am? The owner has an interesting tire and wheel choice. Must have horrible steering feedback with those wide off-set wheels.
First thing I noticed. Have to wonder what how the car is maintained when you see that.

riverroyal

Reaction score
First thing I noticed. Have to wonder what how the car is maintained when you see that.
Holy offset. I had 3/2 methods and switched to 4/1 offset.
Those must be 1/5 or something. Lot of weight out there...
That thing must have had some sweet mariachi music with those speakers

DLC

Reaction score
Those Keller ball joints are nice, but you have to keep on top of them to make sure everything is tight. My friend broke two of them in Glamis.

I had over 6,000 miles on my original set !

I keep a full set in the car as back up ! 2 upper & 2 lower, red lube, anti sieze & a KITCHEN SINK W/ disposal… JIC !! [

Ball joint spares
IMG_0529.jpeg

Lube capsules anti sieze & red tacky grease
IMG_0532.jpeg

sandshark1

Reaction score
That’s my father in law he bought it at government auction out of Puerto Rico for like 25k.. it’s got a monster stereo and more bullshit on it than any car I have ever seen.. lol. Bypass exhaust you name it.. electric windshield it’s actually pretty fine for a Florida or PR special.

The wheel and tire are mexi special for sure but I gotta admit they have done exceptionally well in the sand down here!
LMAO!!! I was going to ask if the owner hit every accessory isle at Pep Boys.

That tire combo is awful and will put more stress on those ball joints. He would be much better off ditching the wheels for 6" wide wheel with a 5+1 offset and a 32" tire of his choice. Those wide tires will do great in the sand as they provide lots of flotation.

I can't believe he is not complaining about the steering wheel feedback with the wheel/tire combo.

sandshark1

Reaction score
I had over 6,000 miles on my original set !

I keep a full set in the car as back up ! 2 upper & 2 lower, red lube, anti sieze & a KITCHEN SINK W/ disposal… JIC !! [

Ball joint spares
View attachment 1440196

Lube capsules anti sieze & red tacky grease
View attachment 1440197
That is a slick way to store the ball joints. The Keller ball joints work as long as you are on top of them maintenance wise.

I had almost 8,000 miles on my stock ball joints on my first X3. Replaced them all and the next trip - Barstow to State Line (Vegas) my frame said no more and broke with about 50 miles from the hotel. LOL!