WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed cars hit the assembly Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Robby should take a picture of all 100 or 50 of his speed cars that now need to be fixed so everyone can see he is not bullshitting cause I bet there isn’t even 20 in a warehouse somewhere.

For someone that says they don’t want one you sure are worried about these things :)

They don’t need to show “everyone” anything. The customers are the only ones that matter at this point.

Demlockian

Reaction score
Untrussed dana 44 upfront with no bypasses or hydro bumps. I am going to call BS on the 70 mph whoops. After 10 min that axle would look like a banana.
As mentioned, in the post, that was mid-build photograph. In has DSC IBP shocks and hydro bumps. I will dig up a photo later on the Dana 60…

Thinking of what it takes to get a truck/Jeep/SUV or whatever you've got, to make a run through Barstow Main at 70MPH, is a huge undertaking. That isn't happening in a Jeep, even with a custom long arm kit and 1 ton axles. Period. Not saying that particular Jeep isn't a capable off-road rig, but it is NOT a high-dollar luxo prerunner or trophy truck. That's essentially what you would need to do that, and not wad your sled up like a wet noodle. Sorry to be "That guy," but that claim is BS. 🙄
The suspension hard points on that Jeep were designed by a King of the Hammers / Baja 1000 race team. Since they designed it, it only got improved upon while I was in Alaska.

No, it is NOT a pre-runner. I never said it was. The ONLY statement I made is that the Jeep performed better in my particular whoops available in Alaska than my RZR. Would it do the same/better than a Can Am in Barstow? If I didn’t sell it, I would be 100% down to find out. But considering my RZR pretty much got tossed out immediately….

For the sake of fairness, he said 70 through a trail. Not Barstow main, or whoops for that matter.

Carry on.
Did say whoops, but these are Alaskan whoops. Comparison was to the highest end RZR and said Jeep.
Pretty sure he said if he still had it he would race down Barstow main?
I did, it’s still written up. I’m willing to try something to prove myself wrong. No shame in that.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
The attack was on the person that bought yours new. :)

To be fair and to your point....my budget had me in an older rzr or a pretty much brand new Talon still under factory and extended warranties and to be even more fair...after adding the cage and now having to do suspension work...I will probably be into it for more then a new rzr....

My only shining light is that its a Honda, and I have always been a Honda fan both on and offroad, and it's different then everything out there, I don't like to have the same thing everyone else has...

pixrthis

Reaction score
Aren’t
Not to be a jerk, but this statement tells me the Speed car is not for you (really want to clarify, not a personal insult). Have you ever dropped $10,000 on shocks? $12,000 on custom built axles? $6,000 on suspension hard parts? As I mentioned briefly above, Polaris/Can Am/Honda/Kawasaki are all "quads" that have been upscaled to be larger and hold more people. The performance of these vehicles is still very much on the "toy" level. My Polaris RZR Turbo S 4 could never hold a candle to my old Wrangler, in any scenario. Yes, that includes running fast through whoop style terrain. Its shocks simply couldn't handle the abuse, nor could the suspension geometry.

Suspension geometry does not have a life cycle, it cannot become outdated. Simply put, suspension geometry/tuning/design on ALL side by sides is absolute garbage and nothing to be proud of. The only "benefit" to current side by sides from mainstream manufacturers is availability and better infotainment (i.e. Ride Command). With that said, I will be installing a 6-8" car style radio in my Speed, which would have access to Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and all related apps. That alone is 10x beyond what the competition offers.
Aren’t some of these “toys” finishing desert races in front of many high dollar race only vehicles with superior suspension geometry?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To be fair and to your point....my budget had me in an older rzr or a pretty much brand new Talon still under factory and extended warranties and to be even more fair...after adding the cage and now having to do suspension work...I will probably be into it for more then a new rzr....

My only shining light is that its a Honda, and I have always been a Honda fan both on and offroad, and it's different then everything out there, I don't like to have the same thing everyone else has...

Agreed. I think you got a good car, and will get many years of enjoyment out of it. You are just seeing the cost/benefit of running a different platform, and the cost of building one. I will agree Honda is among the top as far as quality.

Im not a huge fan of buying anything UTV new off the showroom floor these days. I only did with the Speed because of the significant discount. There are tons of well cared for cars with next to no use sitting in garages for nice discounts.

I wish Honda, Yamaha and to some degree Kawasaki. would take the gloves off in the market though. They could have really made some cool products.

Of the 3 I think Kawi has done the best job making a car for the current market that is unique. I think it would have been a total home run with another 80 HP.

Demlockian

Reaction score
Aren’t

Aren’t some of these “toys” finishing desert races in front of many high dollar race only vehicles with superior suspension geometry?
Pending on the race, the courses are modified. The majority of the ones racing are highly modified, to the point it’s not even a RZR anymore. A lot also has to do with the driver. You can put a great driver in a lightly modified Can Am and beat a poor driver in a trophy truck.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Aren’t

Don’t tell that to the golf cart haters, they will cry.

To your point, you can tip one of these radius rod cars over doing a 5MPH donut if you aren’t aware of the physics involved.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Pending on the race, the courses are modified. The majority of the ones racing are highly modified, to the point it’s not even a RZR anymore. A lot also has to do with the driver. You can put a great driver in a lightly modified Can Am and beat a poor driver in a trophy truck.
Exactly why Robbie should let average joes get there hands on a couple! He can give rides all he wants but until he puts a few in the general publics hands he won’t know shit about the car. Go back and watch the cave men at the sand show slamming doors and jamming it in and out of gear for a prime example of real world abuse!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Exactly why Robbie should let average joes get there hands on a couple! He can give rides all he wants but until he puts a few in the general publics hands he won’t know shit about the car. Go back and watch the cave men at the sand show slamming doors and jamming it in and out of gear for a prime example of real world abuse!

Seems like that is exactly what the plan is.. why don’t you let him round out the cars for then gen pop and deliver them? 🤣

Heylam

Reaction score
For someone that says they don’t want one you sure are worried about these things :)

They don’t need to show “everyone” anything. The customers are the only ones that matter at this point.
So I assume potential future customers mean nothing? Boy, that’s a great business model.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Agreed. I think you got a good car, and will get many years of enjoyment out of it. You are just seeing the cost/benefit of running a different platform, and the cost of building one. I will agree Honda is among the top as far as quality.

Im not a huge fan of buying anything UTV new off the showroom floor these days. I only did with the Speed because of the significant discount. There are tons of well cared for cars with next to no use sitting in garages for nice discounts.

I wish Honda, Yamaha and to some degree Kawasaki. would take the gloves off in the market though. They could have really made some cool products.

Of the 3 I think Kawi has done the best job making a car for the current market that is unique. I think it would have been a total home run with another 80 HP.

Yeah I am seeing some nice cars come up for sale, that I am like damn if I would have just waited a bit....but my financial advisor gave me the green light at the time to buy something and that green light could turn yellow or red at anytime...so I had to do something fairly quick...lol

I am happy with the car....I love the fit and finish, I think the cage turned out great...ordered my chase light last week, was going to order an exhaust and tuner, but figured I would save that money and put it towards suspension down the road...

daytona man

Reaction score
You’re correct it isn’t for me. I don’t buy the first if anything. I’ll let others work out the kinks then buy it once it’s been out a few years.
All everyone that has deposits can hope is that the "first" Speed cars aren't the last !

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So I assume potential future customers mean nothing? Boy, that’s a great business model.

Future customers will be sold by the current ones with their cars, not by Speed. That was always the business model.

If the current customers aren’t happy with their product, there won’t be future customers will there?

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Aren’t

I'm not sure if there are different classes for the UTV's but I do know these are not toys and are extremely high dollar. The BDI/Geiser can am team is a friend of mine and he probably has close to $200k into his can am. Call bullshit all you want but we custom built them shelves and ovens for the carbon fiber bodies they built for their can ams. I think the bodies alone are $30k or something. I love offroading and offroad racing but I look at these race UTV's and just think WTF? you can have a badass 10 car for the amount of money they are putting into them

renodaytona

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there are different classes for the UTV's but I do know these are not toys and are extremely high dollar. The BDI/Geiser can am team is a friend of mine and he probably has close to $200k into his can am. Call bullshit all you want but we custom built them shelves and ovens for the carbon fiber bodies they built for their can ams. I think the bodies alone are $30k or something. I love offroading and offroad racing but I look at these race UTV's and just think WTF? you can have a badass 10 car for the amount of money they are putting into them

Yes a bad ass 10 car is sweet but no factory support or sponsorships. I believe that most of the top teams are $80K-$150K for their current cars.

I helped the Murray team for years starting back in the Can-am Commander days. I know that they thought about the trophy truck and class 1 sides of the sport but the factory support from Can-am they receive is a huge factor for them to stay in the UTV class.

Also I believe the rule for factory suspension mounting points is that they can't be moved, just re-enforced. So the geometry is basically the same, they can move shock mounting points from what I remember that is within the rules for the UTV class.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m gonna say this again.

The reason the cars aren’t out yet is because they have discovered a major or multiple small QC problems that were not spec’d by Speed but created after the fact at Hisan by them cutting corners.

Speed probably has been fighting tooth and nail to get these resolved and my guess is Hisan flexed by showing a Hisan only car at the Mexican plant opening as a fuck you we will make it in this spec to speed stunt.

Robby made a deal with the devil and he is probably trying his hardest to not let him ruin his name for the long term.

Covid zero policy is just a chance to blame something else to allow him time to try and fix these issues.

The broken sand rail blue car is one of these problems. Soft metal or not really is9000 machining like promised kind of deal.

What is is9000? Are you referring to ISO 9000?

I don’t believe the Covid shit down in China is “an excuse” by any means.. I’d be more apt to believe it’s more of an “in addition to” situation.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

EmpirE231

Reaction score

pixrthis

Reaction score
Do they beat class 10 cars? I hear the Honda Talon has been kicking ass in Baja and doubt there was a spending limit to do so. I know a guy who put over $100K into a RZR to race Best in the Desert so excessive spending doesn’t surprise me.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Prices are definitely dropping

not a high caliber UTV... but cool to see prices on these going back down to being realistic

good fun for 15K .... once these start to hit closer to 10k might be the time to get something like this for the kiddos

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
someone's losing some $ on this deal

My old car didn’t have the motor work, but it was a 2021 rr that I think was comparable.. I sold the damn thing right before Covid for 45k. Lol

That is a nice car.. :). I’ll let the wife see it tonight.

I need a new interior / bench seat and seat heaters and my bougie bullshit I like..

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Do they beat class 10 cars? I hear the Honda Talon has been kicking ass in Baja and doubt there was a spending limit to do so. I know a guy who put over $100K into a RZR to race Best in the Desert so excessive spending doesn’t surprise me.
I’m not sure, I know my buddy has difficulties finishing the races because he drives like an animal and thinks every race is the 1000 lol

dirtslinger2

Reaction score

In a nut shell, NO they do not.

On the right course (Technical) not high speed, they for sure can beat a 10 car, but a wide open desert race, not happening.

DLC

Reaction score

On the right course (Technical) not high speed, they for sure can beat a 10 car, but a wide open desert race, not happening.
What are the Typical Times?

we ran a 5-1600 for several years

then

jumped up to 7S Ford ranger ( double the cost to Prep ) to average 6-8 mph faster!

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
What are the Typical Times?

we ran a 5-1600 for several years

then

jumped up to 7S Ford ranger ( double the cost to Prep ) to average 6-8 mph faster!

They're getting closer in times, but last year at the KOH desert race there was a 10/SXS race, and the 10's swept it.

Reactions: DLC

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
If I didn't sell it almost two years ago, you would be on. I took this Jeep and my Polaris RZR Turbo S 4 down the exact same trail days apart. The Polaris was being tossed around and couldn't even stay in the whoops. Meanwhile, the Jeep cruised at 70+ MPH as if nothing was happening. That's what almost $10,000 in suspension buys you. That's 1/3rd (or more) the cost of a Can Am. Nothing about that Jeep was stock. The suspension was all one-off custom, not something you can buy from Rough Country.
You are starting to sound like mr orange

702sandman

Reaction score

At KOH 22 this year Mitch beat all but 1 class 10 in the class 10 VS SXS race. And that was a class 10 course for sure. But then again the Pro R is almost a class 10 now lol

702sandman

Reaction score
They're getting closer in times, but last year at the KOH desert race there was a 10/SXS race, and the 10's swept it.
The did NOT sweep it ….Mitch definitely took second place

5E9217D8-D45F-4C30-8DED-707FC8F36455.png

dp70

Reaction score
Can someone show me these used cars with low miles for substantial discounts? 😍😍

I am on the hunt
@RiverDave
2018 low miles decked out, even has a bench seat for you....might sell low $40 range??

Attachments

• IMG_5736.jpg
    IMG_5736.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5743.jpg
    IMG_5743.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5759.jpg
    IMG_5759.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 87

Albacore

Reaction score
I got a buddy that wants a four seater if anybody wants to sell their spot at cost.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What do you want? Another Can Am?

Can Am / Bad Ass Rzr / Ranger Crew North Star / Can Am Defender (enclosed)

Prefer something with the bench in the back already done. Love suspension mods, will not buy anything with motor mods outside of maybe a tuner.

Basically looking for about what I sold. LOL, but I haven't seen anything that remotely resembles a discount?

I sold my car for 45K, built 2021 Turbo RR.. If I could find something like that I'd be all over it.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave
2018 low miles decked out, even has a bench seat for you....might sell low $40 range??

I'd really like to stay in the 2021-2022 range.. I'm coming to the realization that I just sold my car waaayyy too cheap. Well that and the prices skyrocketed right after I sold it I guess.

RD

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I'd really like to stay in the 2021-2022 range.. I'm coming to the realization that I just sold my car waaayyy too cheap. Well that and the prices skyrocketed right after I sold it I guess.

RD
Why did you even sell it? That was a cream puff super nice can am

Status
Not open for further replies.