WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New SXS Laws in Az

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
So in the first post it says the course in "intended to be free." Go to the AZ Fish & Game website and it says that you can go to one of the third-party websites, or attend an in-person event. No in-person events planned anywhere in the state at this time. Fine, so I go to both of the third-party websites and the course is $35. 🤔 I'm thinking the owners of these sites helped get the bill passed. Our pass renews in early Dec.

Riddle me this, and I apologize if this has already been addressed, though I did half-heartedly check, if the SxS has a street plate, isn't it classified the same as a Jeep? or do Jeeps fall under this also? I thought I read they did not, this was for UTVs and motorcycles. Do Jeeps need to get the off-road pass also? We don't have one for our Colorado that we sometimes take off-road, should we?

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
So in the first post it says the course in "intended to be free." Go to the AZ Fish & Game website and it says that you can go to one of the third-party websites, or attend an in-person event. No in-person events planned anywhere in the state at this time. Fine, so I go to both of the third-party websites and the course is $35. 🤔 I'm thinking the owners of these sites helped get the bill passed. Our pass renews in early Dec.

Riddle me this, and I apologize if this has already been addressed, though I did half-heartedly check, if the SxS has a street plate, isn't it classified the same as a Jeep? or do Jeeps fall under this also? I thought I read they did not, this was for UTVs and motorcycles. Do Jeeps need to get the off-road pass also? We don't have one for our Colorado that we sometimes take off-road, should we?

UTVs are not a street legal vehicle by design. They DO NOT comply with the same airbag, bumper, side impact, emissions, etc standards that a 2012 Kia does. Certain states register UTVs for on road use.
Although I've never, EVER seen a RZR or such going down Interstate 40. Why not? If it's legal?

Also case in point, the Roxor, a revamp of a Jeep CJ7, made in India, and is probably safer than my AMC Jeep CJ7, is considered a UTV. Roxor is a 2020 something model. Mine is a 1979.

I have a street plate for my XR600R. Been all over with it. (Even I-40) Never had an OHV sticker. I didn't ask. I don't think I need one.
Same with the Jeep. Street legal and unsafe at any speed.

Dan'l

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score

UTV's in Arizona are plated with MC plates. Motorcycle etc...
That's also why there is no need for emissions testing on them in Maricopa and Pima counties. Motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
AZ already has that.
Help me understand, would like better clarification, maybe I missed something… a non AZ resident already needs a non-resident OHV sticker?/ course/ permit? Where do they get that from?

Floaterboat

Reaction score
Help me understand, would like better clarification, maybe I missed something… a non AZ resident already needs a non-resident OHV sticker?/ course/ permit? Where do they get that from?

So in 2019 AZ started requiring out of state people the get a visitor permit. CA followed suit after that.

Get the registration decal here

Now if you are a non resident with a AZ plated OHV, who knows. In the dirt I’d show my AZ ID.

On the street in AZ, this is irrelevant because you are not off-road, so show your home state DL obviously.

Be aware CA now has the same policy and requires out of state OHV registration and registration is no longer reciprocal between AZ and CA. As a CA resident with an AZ plated OHV, you would still need to buy a CA non resident registration. See here.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
So in 2019 AZ started requiring out of state people the get a visitor permit. CA followed suit after that.

Get the registration decal here

Now if you are a non resident with a AZ plated OHV, who knows. In the dirt I’d show my AZ ID.

On the street in AZ, this is irrelevant because you are not off-road, so show your home state DL obviously.

Be aware CA now has the same policy and requires out of state OHV registration and registration is no longer reciprocal between AZ and CA. As a CA resident with an AZ plated OHV, you would still need to buy a CA non resident registration. See here.

Good to know. Im spoiled as an AZ resident so never paid attention to that change. Thx

Singleton

Reaction score
AZ OHV plated RZR’s. They were plated for OHV use only.
When I am out and about in the dirt, I show my AZ ID, even in CA.
I also have the non-resident stickers for CA.

I will need to monitor this, but I was told the safety course was only needed when SXS is plated for on-road usage not off road. Time will tell, but this is another example of passing a law and not thinking about the ‘how’