WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New iPhone reveal

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
apple-fanboy.jpg

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I am still rocking my s3 mini. Does everything I want and need it too do. My charging port is finally not holding plugs in any more so I have been looking for a new phone. I am shocked at the number of phones that you can not repalce the battery on. Given how my current phone is 5 years old and on battery number 3, thats a very big deal with me.

I still don't the appeal of a 1000 dollar phone, hell I won't even spend 300 on one.

Maybe its just my nature too "drive it into the ground" .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ooooooor you can buy an unlocked phone that's out of the realm and far superior than a Samsung or iPhone that won't come with any factory bloatware lol

The unlocked smartphone category is in it's league of it's own

BNAG....

My son bought this one. He Fucking loves it. And there are reviews out there that back up the fact its probably the best phone out there right now...

https://oneplus.net/5

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/review-oneplus-5/

I have my sights set on this one. It's from the guy who invented Android...

https://www.essential.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLjc89Ki1gIVkYdpCh1mcglREAAYASAAEgJxwfD_BwE#order?

of course, my son says that oneplus phone he has is better. :rolleyes

Both of these phones are far superior to both the Samsung and IPhone offerings, and the price is Very attractive. But now that Apple raised the bar on pricing, they might not be cheap much longer...

:grumble:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Chicks dig the iPhone.....enough said. :D

C-2

Reaction score
BNAG....

My son bought this one. He Fucking loves it. And there are reviews out there that back up the fact its probably the best phone out there right now...

https://www.essential.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLjc89Ki1gIVkYdpCh1mcglREAAYASAAEgJxwfD_BwE#order?

Both of these phones are far superior to both the Samsung and IPhone offerings, and the price is Very attractive. But now that Apple raised the bar on pricing, they might not be cheap much longer...

Wow, those are bad ass. Thanks guys, I never knew there are "choices." :thumbsup

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, those are bad ass. Thanks guys, I never knew there are "choices." :thumbsup
You also have Huawei, Nexus, even Google makes a really nice seamless smartphone.

C-2

Reaction score
You also have Huawei, Nexus, even Google makes a really nice seamless smartphone.

Thanks.

I just logged on to my Verizon account and can't make heads or tails out of what I owe...

F* that, I'm done playing their rent-a-phone game.

It also showed the Note at $960 :eek

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I was looking at the Google Pixel too, but the specs didn't even come close to those other two. And.........................

NOW you can only get the Pixel with a Google wireless account! You could get the Nexus through anyone, but those days are over.

The Google Wireless actually isn't a bad deal. My nephew has it. He says he gets good service with it.

https://fi.google.com/about/

LB247XS

Reaction score
so a little off topic but my wife and I have had our iPhones for quite sometime. it does everything we ask it to. Sometimes even more. But it's definitely time for us to upgrade our phones as the capacity has reached our max and with our baby, we are constantly taking videos and pictures and having to run to upload them to the cloud etc etc.

So i get this att eligibility email that we can both upgrade! so I'm pumped! New phones just got released, plenty of storage! Wifey will be happy!

So I call att! yada yada yada ... speaking to a rep.. Hi Ma'am! just got the best email! we can upgrade! she's like yes yes! you sure can! I'm ready to have her give me a deep discount... So what I would like ma'am is 2 phones, hard cold cash! ready to upgrade! what's "my cost" ..... long pause.... well your eligibility is for $40.75 for 24 months per phone... " no no ma'am, I've got the hard cold cash, I'm ready to upgrade, I want to pay for the 2 phones, I don't want no stinken, monthly bills" "well sir, the price of the phone is $749.00 each" so I pause... "no no ma'am.. you don't understand, that's the normal price, that's the price people have to pay with no upgrade eligibility, but remember! I got the email! i can upgrade!" oh ya sorry sir.... Your eligibility is to have a phone at $40.75 a month for 24 months...... "so let me get this straight, I would like to pay up front for a phone as I always have and got a DEEP discount, but today, there's really no eligibility of anything" My option is to pay $749.00 or $40.75 a month for 24 months....

What happen to the good ol' days, when you called in with an upgrade, they waved the phone price? now you're locked into a 2 year contract? I mean ok, I get it, technology has advanced and phones are a bit more then $200 each. But even being a att customer since 96, I get 0 love. NO vip treatment, no customer appreciation discount.. I just pay full price regardless of my "eligibility email" .

So to all wanting to "upgrade, buy a new phone" doesn't really matter anymore. You can go in at anytime and buy whatever you want because you are going to pay the full price. That eligibility email means nothing..... 0..... zilch....

Guess my wife and I will be waiting for Best Buy to do their trade in sales to buy a couple "newer" phones to us.

And this isn't an iPhone thing, this is all smart phone thing.... Eligibility doesn't help get me a Samsung either. Just a small discount is all I ask. Just so I feel special I have been with att since 96 and been a loyal customer stayed in contract for 2 decades.

Rant over...
All the companies all going to the device payment plans. I wanted to do the same with Verizon but they wouldn't do that on my upgrade so I just end up doing the monthly payment plans.. it works out

LB247XS

Reaction score
Just got home from the Best Buy mobile store, Was checking out my account to see what upgrades I had coming up, The sales guy showed me the Samsung Note 8 and it's so bad ass! They are running a special if your with Verizon and you get all kinds of promotions and the 2 year deal works out to be about $18 a month. The IPhone 10 is about $45 a month.

The Note is a hell of a machine and save a bunch of money over 24 months.

Now I'm just confused.
I just recently got the LG v20 which is a pretty badass phone huge screen does a lot of shit great pictures I wanted to wait for the Note 8 but I couldn't wait cuz my previous phone completely crashed and I needed to get a phone right away so I'm kind of bummed I couldn't get the 8 so in about four or five months I'll pay this phone off and go get the Note 8 but I still can't complain about this LG v20 it's a kick-ass phone

GRADS

Reaction score
Funny how some of you guys are "Buy American" cheerleaders until it comes to phones.:rolleyes

GRADS

Reaction score
Name one phone, besides the jitterbug, that's made in America. Don't worry, I'll wait.

How many Samsung employees do you know that work in the U.S.? I don't know one. I know tons of Apple employees.

mbrown2

Reaction score
BNAG....

I will keep spending my money with an American company that makes phones which I think are better and more useable than the phones above. These are just Chinese versions of Samsung phones...they are still running droid you have all the security and compatibility issues you get with droid phones...layer on that these are jailbreak type phones....kids and techies are cool with jailbreak type phones..I used to do it to my iphones.....but my phone is part of my life...not a science project..:) When I have a problem with it, I go to an apple store...where you going with this a website or alibaba?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Funny how some of you guys are "Buy American" cheerleaders until it comes to phones.:rolleyes

Tell me one part of the iphone made in the usa.

Did you know apple moved all its intellectual property to ireland? Why you ask, too not pay us corporate tax

This is you just trying too stir the pot, but you did a good job making yourself look like a fool.f

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
How many Samsung employees do you know that work in the U.S.? I don't know one. I know tons of Apple employees.
You don't seem to know a lot of shit really. You "knowing" apple employees that probably make hand over fist doesn't justify apple outsourcing production, that would feed hundreds if not thousands of families, out to China for pennies on the dollar. In the end, you'll still have a Chinese phone made with Korean (read Samsung) parts lmao

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I will keep spending my money with an American company that makes phones which I think are better and more useable than the phones above. These are just Chinese versions of Samsung phones...they are still running droid you have all the security and compatibility issues you get with droid phones...layer on that these are jailbreak type phones....kids and techies are cool with jailbreak type phones..I used to do it to my iphones.....but my phone is part of my life...not a science project..:) When I have a problem with it, I go to an apple store...where you going with this a website or alibaba?
This is laughable. You know why apple created the iPhone right? It's for people that don't know how to set the time on their microwaves.

That'll probably fly over your head lol

GRADS

Reaction score
Tell me one part of the iphone made in the usa.

Did you know apple moved all its intellectual property to ireland? Why you ask, too not pay us corporate tax

This is you just trying too stir the pot, but you did a good job making yourself look like a fool.f

How do I look like a fool? Samsung has under 11,000 employees in the U.S., Apple has over 50,000. You're the fool still using a flip phone.:point

GRADS

Reaction score
You don't seem to know a lot of shit really. You "knowing" apple employees that probably make hand over fist doesn't justify apple outsourcing production, that would feed hundreds if not thousands of families, out to China for pennies on the dollar. In the end, you'll still have a Chinese phone made with Korean (read Samsung) parts lmao

You guys are already complaining about a $1000 phone. You want to pay $5000?:rolleyes

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
How do I look like a fool? Samsung has under 11,000 employees in the U.S., Apple has over 50,000. You're the fool still using a flip phone.:point
How many employees does Foxconn employ? I'm gonna save you a Google search.....it's in the millions. Millions of unamerican jobs. But hey atleast you know the developer that makes 6 figures to come up with an animated emoji right?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
You guys are already complaining about a $1000 phone. You want to pay $5000?:rolleyes
And no I'm not an idiot, I wouldn't pay 1k let alone 5 for something that's going to be obsolete in a year. I'd rather put that 1k a year towards apple stock and capitalize on the stupidity of the masses like buffet did

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Jesus fucking christ. Samsung employs way more Americans than Apple.

You have to consider all of their subsidiaries like Harman Audio as just one example.

They just don't happen to be in Silicon Valley...about 10k are in the great state of Texas [emoji4]

WhatExit?

Reaction score

You don't hesitate to show how ignorant you are and/or how far your Apple Fanboi head is up Tim Cook's gay ass.

Just at their SEA location in NJ, they have over 2,600 employees (2.3 million SF). Samsung has numerous locations in the US and North America. They are the largest TV mfr in the world and their largest TV production plant is in Tijuana where they employ thousands of people.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/samsung_electronics/us_divisions/

WhatExit?

Reaction score

You don't look like a fool. You look like a dumbass. Use your fucking iPhone to Google (or Safari) the info before you show how dumb you are...

Samsung has more employees than Apple, Google, and Microsoft combined. At 275,000 employees, Samsung (just Samsung Electronics) is the size of five Googles!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ees-than-google-apple-and-microsoft-combined/

Samsung-headcount2-640x480.jpg

mbrown2

Reaction score
This is laughable. You know why apple created the iPhone right? It's for people that don't know how to set the time on their microwaves.

That'll probably fly over your head lol

Funny you don't get it........think about alexa, echo, and every other usability technology on the forefront right now....it is not about speeds/feeds/tech jargon it is about how to make things easy. Today's consumer does not care about gigabytes and tech for tech sakes...they care about ease of use and things being done for them....but you probably know all that being you know everything about streamboxes :)

GRADS

Reaction score
You don't hesitate to show how ignorant you are and/or how far your Apple Fanboi head is up Tim Cook's gay ass.

Just at their SEA location in NJ, they have over 2,600 employees (2.3 million SF). Samsung has numerous locations in the US and North America. They are the largest TV mfr in the world and their largest TV production plant is in Tijuana where they employ thousands of people.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/samsung_electronics/us_divisions/
Tijuana is in the U.S.?:headscratch:
You don't look like a fool. You look like a dumbass. Use your fucking iPhone to Google (or Safari) the info before you show how dumb you are...

Samsung has more employees than Apple, Google, and Microsoft combined. At 275,000 employees, Samsung (just Samsung Electronics) is the size of five Googles!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ees-than-google-apple-and-microsoft-combined/

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit.....United States jobs.:rolleyes Only 3.9% of those 275,000 jobs are in the U.S......I'll let you do the math, maybe use the calculator on your phone.;)

mbrown2

Reaction score

They actually have 308K people across 70 countries...a very small percentage of those are in the US. I actually like Samsung and support their products as they invest in the US and many of their design centers are in the US and competition helps drive innovation. Can't say I feel the same for the Chinese phones that were posted earlier.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Funny you don't get it........think about alexa, echo, and every other usability technology on the forefront right now....it is not about speeds/feeds/tech jargon it is about how to make things easy. Today's consumer does not care about gigabytes and tech for tech sakes...they care about ease of use and things being done for them....but you probably know all that being you know everything about streamboxes :)
Oh I get it, I just don't subject myself to groupthink. In regards to what today's consumer wants, wow are you out of touch lol.

First world problems are the best problems.

Any luck on updating your os from 4.0? Push the red button! Lol

mbrown2

Reaction score
Oh I get it, I just don't subject myself to groupthink. In regards to what today's consumer wants, wow are you out of touch lol.

First world problems are the best problems.

Any luck on updating your os from 4.0? Push the red button! Lol

I guess you are a visionary of one..school us on your crystal ball...

I am pretty spot on...IoT, smart appliances, robots, AI, blockchain, self driving cars, digital personal assistants....people want ease, want it fast and want it secure..

I am sure your Nostratreamus crystal ball has all kinds of things on horizon that are burning down the doors at the local consumer electronics conferences...:)

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I guess you are a visionary of one..school us on your crystal ball...

I am pretty spot on...IoT, smart appliances, robots, AI, blockchain, self driving cars, digital personal assistants....people want ease, want it fast and want it secure..

I am sure your Nostratreamus crystal ball has all kinds of things on horizon that are burning down the doors at the local consumer electronics conferences...:)

Crystal balls were so last year.

Android based magic 8 balls are whats in.....

640x960.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

You are joking right???

That is more or less the story of OnePlus, the Chinese company founded in 2013 to produce premium smartphones. But don?t call it a startup: OnePlus is a subsidiary of BBK Electronics, the world?s second-largest smartphone manufacturer (it also owns Oppo and Vivo.) That means OnePlus can tap a vast supply chain and manufacturing operation. Yet while Oppo and Vivo produce handsets for every consumer, OnePlus offers just one device, targeted squarely at the high-end.

You really thing the iPhone and Samsung phones are made here in America????

At present, Samsung Electronics is running six mobile phone manufacturing facilities in the six countries of Vietnam, China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and Korea. The two plants in Vietnam have a combined annual production capacity of 240 million units

majority of Apple's iPhones in its Shenzen, China, location though Foxconn maintains factories in countries across the world, including Thailand, Malaysia, the Czech Republic, South Korea, Singapore, and the Philippines. Pegatron is a relatively recent addition to the iPhone assembly process

And when was the last time you had a problem with ANY cell phone???

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Keep posting Grads - it only illuminates your ignorance...

From Forbes:

Although Samsung is globally headquartered in South Korea, it contributes significantly to the U.S. economy each year. In Texas alone, where Samsung has a major manufacturing facility, the company has provided the state?s largest foreign investment to date. Samsung?s semiconductor operation in Austin, Texas, constitutes a $13 billion investment in the state and this number is expected to exceed $15 billion at the end of 2014. The facilities employ more than 5,000 people and generate $1.5 billion in revenue annually, as Congressman Pete Sessions (R-TX) and Texas State Senators Ken Paxton and Kirk Watson recognized in public comments to the ITC in June.

Another Samsung subsidiary, Samsung Telecommunications America, headquartered in Richardson, Texas, employs more than 1,100 workers in the state. Samsung also recently broke ground on a new 1.1 million square foot development, which will serve as the company?s R&D headquarters in San Jose. The company?s plans were highlighted in Gov. Jerry Brown?s State of the State speech earlier this year, in which he noted that the facility is expected to provide 2,500 high-skill and wage jobs.

Such significant U.S. investment from a foreign-based company makes clear why it?s so tough to plant a flag on any single company anymore. And, that is exactly why we shouldn?t want our government to favor one group of companies over another. A foreign-based company doing business in the U.S. is not a rival. It is something we want to encourage more of to enhance economic growth. This global dynamic is important to remember when it comes to choosing sides in the marketplace.

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...sung-is-a-very-american-company/#1be8cf2a55c2

mbrown2

Reaction score
You are joking right???

You really thing the iPhone and Samsung phones are made here in America????

And when was the last time you had a problem with ANY cell phone???

I said American company; not American made phone; I know where electronics are made. I support Samsung as well...lots of investment in US.....I don't know of any BBK investment in the US...:)

Using Apple...I don't have issues..:)

GRADS

Reaction score
Keep posting Grads - it only illuminates your ignorance...

From Forbes:

Although Samsung is globally headquartered in South Korea, it contributes significantly to the U.S. economy each year. In Texas alone, where Samsung has a major manufacturing facility, the company has provided the state?s largest foreign investment to date. Samsung?s semiconductor operation in Austin, Texas, constitutes a $13 billion investment in the state and this number is expected to exceed $15 billion at the end of 2014. The facilities employ more than 5,000 people and generate $1.5 billion in revenue annually, as Congressman Pete Sessions (R-TX) and Texas State Senators Ken Paxton and Kirk Watson recognized in public comments to the ITC in June.

Another Samsung subsidiary, Samsung Telecommunications America, headquartered in Richardson, Texas, employs more than 1,100 workers in the state. Samsung also recently broke ground on a new 1.1 million square foot development, which will serve as the company?s R&D headquarters in San Jose. The company?s plans were highlighted in Gov. Jerry Brown?s State of the State speech earlier this year, in which he noted that the facility is expected to provide 2,500 high-skill and wage jobs.

Such significant U.S. investment from a foreign-based company makes clear why it?s so tough to plant a flag on any single company anymore. And, that is exactly why we shouldn?t want our government to favor one group of companies over another. A foreign-based company doing business in the U.S. is not a rival. It is something we want to encourage more of to enhance economic growth. This global dynamic is important to remember when it comes to choosing sides in the marketplace.

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...sung-is-a-very-american-company/#1be8cf2a55c2

Now go look up the numbers on Apple.:point

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Now go look up the numbers on Apple.:point

No. You do it on your iPhone.

Samsung makes way more products than Apple. How much manufacturing does Apple do in the US or North America? And Samsung? (Samsung does way more manufacturing worldwide and in NA than Apple).

But who the fuck cares?! This thread is all about you and your Apple Fanboi love for their products.

We all know the devices we have (and had) typically can do way more than 90% of users need! Most of those who buy the latest-greatest are caught up in having the latest-greatest for no reason other than they have it. Right Fanboi?