WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

John Force has huge crash in qualifying

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Claiming a helmet did not "do it's job" is a bit of a reach. The helmet itself, and helmet, can only absorb a certain amount of energy. The varying density of the foam and other materials is intended to slow the transference of energy, absorb some, but not mitigate it's effects entirely. The human brain sits within it's own, natural, helmet, the skull. The brain itself is isulated within, suspended buy a liquid. A person can suffer a brain injury without the skull itself being broken. Rapid acceleration of deceleration can do these things.

Muldowney herself I can't remember making a 300mph pass. She was already fading out when the top teams started those. Bell was a big name, possible the only name, when she started. Since then many things have changed, and many lives have been saved by other manufacturers as well. I think I'd trust my brain to the engineers at a large helmet manufacturer over the opinion of a racer retired years ago.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
449685936_867666305405350_9090217070401697618_n.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
According to his wife in a post crash interview John was "talking to his team, giving directions" etc. Is that consistant with a severe head injury/TBI?

rrrr

Reaction score
Obviously the helmet failed its job, and Simpson has had issues with rushing their products to market without fulling testing all their features. This was a race helmet built for force. It failed its job. How hard is to test a chin strap?

How much of Simpson does Force own? It’s all about the money now. They are protecting the company stock price.

I think what Shirley did was not allow Simpson to cover this up. 😉

Their entire safety program is a disaster. It all started with the chutes, and then the entire system failed. That’s pretty messed up.

Waiting to see Holly’s response.
From Simpson's website regarding their OTW helmet:

Not SFI rated for competition use
Not DOT rated for street use

The shorty OTW helmet was not a "race helmet." Like the original, its replacement doesn't meet SFI 31.1 standards for racing or DOT standards for street use. It's worn by fat race officials on pit lane and won't do much to protect in the event of any moderate impact.

And what's your comment about chute failure in reference to? Are you talking about the failure of Force's parachutes to deploy? Do you have even the remotest idea what occurs when a race car hits a wall at speeds near 300 MPH? Have you ever packed a chute? Know how the cable release system works? Have knowledge of the automatic deployment system on an NHRA funny car or fueler?

1000002136.jpg

Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous. A single helmet tested by a third party failed two tests, which the manufacturer couldn't duplicate.

Simpson Performance Products has issued a recall on its Shorty Over The Wall helmets for multiple issues discovered during independent testing on behalf of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). According to documents published by NHTSA, all examples of this helmet manufactured after March 1, 2017, are included in the recall, a total of 3,752 helmets..

During a random sample test at an contract testing lab, examples of this helmet failed in three different ways. One was a simple labeling issue, but the other two were more serious. The helmets failed the penetration test, which tests how well the helmet resists penetration by foreign objects in a crash. The helmet retention system, which is what holds the helmet in the proper position on your head, also failed.

Strategic Sports, the Chinese manufacturer that supplied the helmets to Simpson, was unable to duplicate these results in their own testing. They believe that a manufacturing change occurred when the workshop responsible for fiberglass molding was reorganized and re-staffed in late 2016, which could explain the penetration test failure. They have no explanation for why the retention system failed in NHTSA's tests but not during their own extensive in-house testing. In an abundance of caution, NHTSA has decided to recall all helmets manufactured after the molding and staffing changes took place.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

The shorty OTW helmet was not a "race helmet." Like the original, its replacement doesn't meet SFI 31.1 standards for racing or DOT standards for street use. It's worn by fat race officials on pit lane and won't do much to protect in the event of any moderate impact.

And what's your comment about chute failure in reference to? Are you talking about the failure of Force's parachutes to deploy? Do you have even the remotest idea what occurs when a race car hits a wall at speeds near 300 MPH? Have you ever packed a chute? Know how the cable release system works? Have knowledge of the automatic deployment system on an NHRA funny car or fueler?

View attachment 1394817

Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous. A single helmet tested by a third party failed two tests, which the manufacturer couldn't duplicate.

Simpson Performance Products has issued a recall on its Shorty Over The Wall helmets for multiple issues discovered during independent testing on behalf of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). According to documents published by NHTSA, all examples of this helmet manufactured after March 1, 2017, are included in the recall, a total of 3,752 helmets..

During a random sample test at an contract testing lab, examples of this helmet failed in three different ways. One was a simple labeling issue, but the other two were more serious. The helmets failed the penetration test, which tests how well the helmet resists penetration by foreign objects in a crash. The helmet retention system, which is what holds the helmet in the proper position on your head, also failed.

Strategic Sports, the Chinese manufacturer that supplied the helmets to Simpson, was unable to duplicate these results in their own testing. They believe that a manufacturing change occurred when the workshop responsible for fiberglass molding was reorganized and re-staffed in late 2016, which could explain the penetration test failure. They have no explanation for why the retention system failed in NHTSA's tests but not during their own extensive in-house testing. In an abundance of caution, NHTSA has decided to recall all helmets manufactured after the molding and staffing changes took place.

:rolleyes:

Orange Juice

Reaction score

View attachment 1394817

I'd rather hear what Shirley knows about the quality control and testing at the Simpson factory. Its of oblivious there are quality control problems, and it appears to be an ongoing issue, if you listen to Shirley, and watch John Forces last race.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
His helmet was intact. You can see it in the footage of him climbing out of the car. Shirley is just doing what she does....talk shit.

The cage was intact. There is absolutely no room for your head to move any way but forward in a AA/FC. And yiur Hans covers that movement. The side load on his head had to be some serious G's there is only about 11/2 inches of high density foam to slow the movement.

Loony Toon

Reaction score
His helmet was intact
No helmet can stop the movement of the brain inside the skull. The helmet helps lessen the damage to the Skull.
Happy to hear that he's coming around. We may not see him behind the wheel any time soon. But he's not the type to give up easily.

God's speed in your recovery John

and Shirley Cee You Next Tuesday Bitch!!!!

playdeep

Reaction score
I'd rather hear what Shirley knows about the quality control and testing at the Simpson factory. Its of oblivious there are quality control problems, and it appears to be an ongoing issue, if you listen to Shirley, and watch John Forces last race.
Cute rants...bro.
Where's your sources the helmet failed?
What type helmet do you use while racing...
Bell I'm assuming.
Reason I ask is few years ago buddy of mine pitted next to me.We ran side by side almost the entire feature. He got me at the end(last lap).
One of the most fun nights I ever remember.
Afterwards we're both celebrating, few cocktail's then we load up&get ready to leave.
My buddy who was a bit sauced left his helmet on the roof of his car.
Backs up,pulls forward kinda rapidly &his helmet goes flying off the car.Bounced couple times broke the visor.
I pick it up hand it to him&off he goes.
Next day he sends me a picture.
Helmet cracked right behind the visor.
That was the last Bell helmet he ever bought.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Cute rants...bro.
Bell I'm assuming.
Reason I ask is few years ago buddy of mine pitted next to me.We ran side by side almost the entire feature. He got me at the end(last lap).
Afterwards we're both celebrating, few cocktail's then we load up&get ready to leave.
Backs up,pulls forward kinda rapidly &his helmet goes flying off the car.Bounced couple times broke the visor.
… I can’t remember exactly how long ago it was… most likely after the 60s as I wore a bell helmet in the 60s …but Bell Helmets got into serious problems over helmet failure… They resorted to manufacturing their helmets in Tijuana. I believe it was…. And that was way before everybody for everything could legally manufacture in Mexico… Anybody know when the Bell helmet debacle was???…

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score

View attachment 1394817

That's the helmet people are bitching about? That's ridiculous. That isn't even a race helmet, which is what the real issue would be, if it was indeed an issue.
Yes, TBI can take on many many different levels.
I was awake, and talking with paramedics 30ish hours after sustaining skull fractures and a ton of other stuff. I remember a little bit of the helicopter (smelled like diesel and was loud) and the guys talking to me...but not much of what was said. The following 7 days were blank. Bad headaches. For a long time it effected my temper and emotions...I wasn't the sweetheart I am now 🤣

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Cute rants...bro.
Bell I'm assuming.

I’m here talking about the equipment that failed. We Know the Chutes didn’t deploy, and now we know the helmet system failed too. All of that is on Simpson. I could give a shit about Bell, unless you know something to add.

Shirley spoke up, and obliviously knows something. I want to know what went wrong. Has it happen before, how many times. How often has Simpson shoots not deployed “correctly”.
The force family has indicated head injury today.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I’m here talking about the equipment that failed. We Know the Chutes didn’t deploy, and now we know the helmet system failed too. All of that is on Simpson. I could give a shit about Bell, unless you know something to add.

Shirley spoke up, and obliviously knows something. I want to know what went wrong. Has it happen before, how many times. How often has Simpson shoots not deployed “correctly”.
I'm going to ask a question here. Have you ever raced a car in a class requiring a current SGI tagged fire suit and helmet? I'm guessing not.

How do you "know" the helmet failed? Because he had a head injury? Physics is a real thing. I'm sure you understand
-Vf-Vo÷T ...since you seem to have a fine grasp on all this. Please, explain to the rest of us how an exocranial device can slow down the inertial energy of the human brain within the cranium.

I'll give you some time, I have to leave for work now, but I'll check back this afternoon. I'm curious as to your pedigree in both physics as well as neurology, and obviously dabbling in safety equipment testing and research.

Muldowney must be related to you. I lost respect for her with that comment. She now strikes me as a bitter woman trying to remain relevant in a world that has moved on. Sad really. She has no knowledge of what she speaks of, she's just an autograph now, and not much more.

Tom Slick

Reaction score

First of all, Shirley doesn't know shit. The NHRA, nor JFR have not released any information about ANY failures...PERIOD. Not a single person has released any information about John's safety equipment failing...PERIOD. The safety system on the race car is NOT manufactured by Simpson. The safety system is the Leahy system developed at Electrimotion. This system had a failure likely caused by the massive engine explosion and nobody has stated what that failure is. Do yourself a favor and stop your ridiculous posts that you very obviously know nothing about. You're making yourself look dumb.

bonesfab

Reaction score
And the chutes failed to deploy is Simpson's fault?? With a crash that violent, How does anybody know what caused what already? And like the chutes deploying in this case would have really mattered.

Brian

Reaction score
And the chutes failed to deploy is Simpson's fault?? With a crash that violent, How does anybody know what caused what already? And like the chutes deploying in this case would have really mattered.
Maybe...... If his injuries occurred during the impact(s) with the wall then those hits could of been lessened if the chutes did come out. If his injuries were from the explosion then no it wouldn't of helped.
I think Hagan is on to something about not tying the bodies down so much. If his body would of blown off with the explosion, it would of pulled the chutes out and definitely slowed the thing down before it hit the walls.

dread Pirate

Reaction score

Chutes dropping when the engine popped would have slowed him down before he hit the wall. They are rigged to drop immediately when this happens. We'll never know if it would have kept him from being injured, but that's the question I have. Why didn't the chutes drop? There are sensors all over nitro cars to trigger shutoffs and chute deployment yet they didn't work.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Chutes dropping when the engine popped would have slowed him down before he hit the wall. They are rigged to drop immediately when this happens. We'll never know if it would have kept him from being injured, but that's the question I have. Why didn't the chutes drop? There are sensors all over nitro cars to trigger shutoffs and chute deployment yet they didn't work.
Having not been around the stuff for a while, is the automatic system piggybacked onto an old school system, or is the "manual" release lever now activating the a parachute operating system? Also, is the system powered by solely by an electrical system, or is it a hybrid using voltage to operate a solenoid to pressurize an actuator. Not that this means much to most, just my own curiosity.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Having not been around the stuff for a while, is the automatic system piggybacked onto an old school system, or is the "manual" release lever now activating the a parachute operating system? Also, is the system powered by solely by an electrical system, or is it a hybrid using voltage to operate a solenoid to pressurize an actuator. Not that this means much to most, just my own curiosity.

Good questions. They can shut the car off from the tower if needed. You have me thinking cause I do not believe there are any actuators on the chutes. Just a cable and spring release, but I have never packed a chute for cars at this level. I've wrapped a few up on the top end though,

I'll ask a couple folks that will know and get back.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
If the air hoses either burnt or were yanked when the body recieved the initial damage from banging the motor that would defeat the auto deploy.

There is an air cylinder that connects to the chute handles via a small cable. When the signal is sent, the throttle is disengaged, fuel is shut off and chutes are deployed. With the roof hanging before the contact with the wall. I am fairly certain that's the scenario that caused the lack of chutes.

At 1/4 mile the chutes will also auto deploy.
The crew has "the box" that can abort a run and deploy the "shut down sequence" described above.
MRW_5627-1.jpg

Something similar to this made of sheet not billet

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
That's the helmet people are bitching about? That's ridiculous. That isn't even a race helmet, which is what the real issue would be, if it was indeed an issue.

I was awake, and talking with paramedics 30ish hours after sustaining skull fractures and a ton of other stuff. I remember a little bit of the helicopter (smelled like diesel and was loud) and the guys talking to me...but not much of what was said. The following 7 days were blank. Bad headaches. For a long time it effected my temper and emotions...I wasn't the sweetheart I am now 🤣
That’s so interesting when my brother had his accident. One of the things he talked about was the smell of fuel when he was in the helicopter getting life flighted out.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Grosjean mostly crashes and runs into other drivers. The last time he won a race was in the 2011 GP2 Series, a now defunct feeder for F3.
To be fair, he did drive for crap teams in F1. And ya, he did crash a lot in F1.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
… I can’t remember exactly how long ago it was… most likely after the 60s as I wore a bell helmet in the 60s …but Bell Helmets got into serious problems over helmet failure… They resorted to manufacturing their helmets in Tijuana. I believe it was…. And that was way before everybody for everything could legally manufacture in Mexico… Anybody know when the Bell helmet debacle was???…
Most dirt bike helmets now-a-days (those are the only ones I have experience with to speak about) are designed to break upon impact. Its part of the force mitigation strategy that the helmets are designed with. When that first started becoming pretty common place about 15 years ago (again, this is offroad... no idea if or when this was implemented into race helmets meant for caged vehicles) people were freaking out thinking the helmets failed from poor design. It look a lot of PR work to calm those nerves.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score

How many TBI's have you had? Reading this makes me think MANY!!!! WTF!?

Tom Slick

Reaction score
After Eric Medlin's death, JFR created the Eric Medlin Project to work towards increasing drag racing safety. One of the things that JFR implemented right away was a larger roll cage in order to beef up the padding in the head area of the cage. With the type and amount of padding in a current Funny Car cage, John's included, I highly doubt that there was any issue with his helmet. I don't know what the actual G-force number of Force's impact, but would venture to guess that it was pretty high. With that kind of lateral hit, John's brain would smack the inside of his skull pretty hard regardless of the helmet and padding.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
That’s so interesting when my brother had his accident. One of the things he talked about was the smell of fuel when he was in the helicopter getting life flighted out.
By any chance was he airlifted by the LA County Sheriff's Korean War Era bird? Maybe it's just a helicopter thing?

When I met majority of the crew a couple years later at an event, they said she was old, and leaks, but was still able to do her job. They remembered the incident, and me. Emotional deal for me, shaking their hands. They said they never know what happens after their job is done, rarely do they meet survivors or hear of those lost.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Something I remember about Alexis Dejoria's accident in Sonoma where she fractured her pelvis. My wife and I were on the line and were leaning against the wall watching her pass. We could feel the impact through the wall and she was well past half track. I mean actually feel it like it knocked us off the wall feel it. My wife looked at me and all I said was that was really bad.

Glad to see her back in a car. She has always been very pleasant to talk with.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
After Eric Medlin's death, JFR created the Eric Medlin Project to work towards increasing drag racing safety. One of the things that JFR implemented right away was a larger roll cage in order to beef up the padding in the head area of the cage. With the type and amount of padding in a current Funny Car cage, John's included, I highly doubt that there was any issue with his helmet. I don't know what the actual G-force number of Force's impact, but would venture to guess that it was pretty high. With that kind of lateral hit, John's brain would smack the inside of his skull pretty hard regardless of the helmet and padding.
Well, at 60mph a 200lb person generates in the neighborhood of 24,000ftlb of kinetic energy and an impact force of 63,000lbs when coming to a stop in a few milliseconds. I don't know how much speed was scrubbed by that impact with the wall, but "bug on a windshield" comes to mind.

Boat 405

Reaction score
By any chance was he airlifted by the LA County Sheriff's Korean War Era bird? Maybe it's just a helicopter thing?

When I met majority of the crew a couple years later at an event, they said she was old, and leaks, but was still able to do her job. They remembered the incident, and me. Emotional deal for me, shaking their hands. They said they never know what happens after their job is done, rarely do they meet survivors or hear of those lost.
This was up in santa Barbara. My brother went back and bought all the guys on the bird lunch. They said the same thing they typically never know what happens to the person.

rrrr

Reaction score
Well, at 60mph a 200lb person generates in the neighborhood of 24,000ftlb of kinetic energy and an impact force of 63,000lbs when coming to a stop in a few milliseconds. I don't know how much speed was scrubbed by that impact with the wall, but "bug on a windshield" comes to mind.
Based upon John's weight, my guess of a roughly 80 g impact implies a force of 16,000 lbs.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Based upon John's weight, my guess of a roughly 80 g impact implies a force of 16,000 lbs.
Was it Amato that said he suffered vision issues from years of launches? I can't imagine what repeated high G acceleration could do, let alone the occasional rapid deceleration. The human body is amazing, and really incredibly resilient despite it's soft appearances.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Was it Amato that said he suffered vision issues from years of launches? I can't imagine what repeated high G acceleration could do, let alone the occasional rapid deceleration. The human body is amazing, and really incredibly resilient despite it's soft appearances.
Yes, Amato, Bernstein and others had problems tearing the retna in their eyes from deceleration. Basically their eyes were popping out of their heads when the chutes hit.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, TBI can take on many many different levels.
I had a full on conversation with my dad in the back of the ambulance when I responded to the wreck that paralyzed him. 45 minutes later at the hospital he went into a 3 day coma while talking to the nurses. The body does some crazy things right at trauma to keep you alive and able to fight or flight before the effects start to manifest.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I had a full on conversation with my dad in the back of the ambulance when I responded to the wreck that paralyzed him. 45 minutes later at the hospital he went into a 3 day coma while talking to the nurses. The body does some crazy things right at trauma to keep you alive and able to fight or flight before the effects start to manifest.

Holy shit!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Yes, Amato, Bernstein and others had problems tearing the retna in their eyes from deceleration. Basically their eyes were popping out of their heads when the chutes hit.
… Damn… I just thought of some thing I had never thought of before… Somewhere along the line …I lost the central vision In my right eye…With the Fueler that I drove when you reached across your body and pulled the ring connected to the cable that would release the pilot chute and then the main chute… When the main chute would blossom…it would actually pick the back of the car up …then bam…the car was back on the ground🤷🏽‍♀️…I certainly wasn’t going anywhere close to 300 miles an hour,…but I wonder if that would have been enough G forces to partially detach the retina???…

renodaytona

Reaction score
Personal friend of mine was a bull rider from 18-28 years old and had a 90% detached retina in one of his eyes from that.

Hoping John recovers from this to enjoy the rest of his life.

Clank123

Reaction score
Thank you for this!
You and a few others understand the issues at hand here.
To your point, Force was given a special award by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) for the work he did on the Eric Medlen Project to improve Funny Car Safety.
To even think that Force would wear a helmet not designed on the cutting edge of safety is plain stupid.
My experience in racing (which includes running over 190mph and a tick over 7 seconds on the asphalt 1/4 mile) is that the guys that run at those speeds, for the most part, by the best equipment they can.
I was a Simpson guy from their latest helmet to 5 layer suit and boots.
It was the best I could afford.
It’s insane to think with the budgets these guys have that driver safety isn’t one of the highest priorities for any team at that level.
I think it’s time we get back to praying for John’s recovery.
Oh, and to put the helmet debate to rest, Force was wearing and is sponsored by one of the leading edge helmet manufacturers in the world…Stilo.
Look it up.
A19F1F84-13AA-49A2-A299-93D2D1FFF07C.jpeg

02B2927D-2E71-4C0A-8401-AED8349FD560.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
Thank you for this!
You and a few others understand the issues at hand here.
To your point, Force was given a special award by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) for the work he did on the Eric Medlen Project to improve Funny Car Safety.
To even think that Force would wear a helmet not designed on the cutting edge of safety is plain stupid.
My experience in racing (which includes running over 190mph and a tick over 7 seconds on the asphalt 1/4 mile) is that the guys that run at those speeds, for the most part, by the best equipment they can.
I was a Simpson guy from their latest helmet to 5 layer suit and boots.
It was the best I could afford.
It’s insane to think with the budgets these guys have that driver safety isn’t one of the highest priorities for any team at that level.
I think it’s time we get back to praying for John’s recovery.
Oh, and to put the helmet debate to rest, Force was wearing and is sponsored by one of the leading edge helmet manufacturers in the world…Stilo.
Look it up.
View attachment 1395635
View attachment 1395636
Thanks for the comments.

Stilo makes the best motorsports helmets. Period.