WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

John Force has huge crash in qualifying

Roosky01

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re talking about Romain Grosjean’s F1 crash.
Not a single person watching thought he was alive.
Then after over a minute or whatever he comes up out of there like a fucking miracle.
I don’t know about any lotto ticket, but he did announce his retirement shortly thereafter…

That crash video absolutely unfuknbelievable. I remember watching that and thinking "He's dead, Jim".

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That crash video absolutely unfuknbelievable. I remember watching that and thinking "He's dead, Jim".
Same here.
The uncut video shows just how long he was in that burning car.
Much much longer that the edited version shows.
It seemed like forever. It seemed completely incomprehensible when he stood up out of the flames.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Surely encouraging news. I have been looking for updates daily. My question is why do they add all the extra comments into these updates? Just give us the update, we know he crashed at over 300mph, he is a hall of fame driver, we know how many championships and he is 75 years old. Just write the update!!

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
When is the havasu drag strip opening, you know the state of the art baddest mofo place ever.

Oh wait.... 😁
Just trying to keep the arguing going
Lol, I still have a couple shirts from that debacle. I was living there at the time and very hopeful of it coming to fruition

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Long term care facility specializing in TBI clearly tells us his driving years are behind him now. Lets just hope he can live out a happy life outside of the seat going forward.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I'm with a few of the others here, just hope he can recover well enough to be happy.
Honestly, this will be his toughest challenge yet. He's talking, and from the sound of it able to walk with help. These are huge things. Confusion and cognitive function issues though are big hurdles. What will make it hard on both him and the family, are those breaks. When you are doing good for a few minutes, hours or days, then those moments where the words won't come, or a memory eludes you, it feels like the walls are caving in.

Yes, I'd love to see him race again, haven't crowded around his pits in years. That's a selfish thought though. Honestly, I really want him to continue to be a grandpa and a father. His legacy is more than a warehouse full of Wally's.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Progress… 👍🏼

82380A43-9988-46CD-8F86-BDE9E18F22FD.jpeg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I hate to see him, or any other racer, racked up and in the hospital bed. He's awake and surrounded by family though, and that's huge.

There's a rehab place, Casa Colina, not a mile from the lanes at Pomona. Supposed to do really well with brain and spinal injuries. One of my cousin's friends was there for a few months after a surfing accident. My insurance wouldn't foot the bill for me, but I think John may have better coverage ;) . There may be better places these days, but 10-20 years ago, this was the go-to for Hollywood people and such. Not a bad drive for the family either if still in OC.

rrrr

Reaction score
Progress… 👍🏼

View attachment 1397830
Brings tears to my eyes. The greatest drag racer of all time is facing a challenge more daunting than any he bested in his career, and that smile, along with the demonstrated love of his family, gives me hope John will be able to retire from racing yet still lead a productive life.

May God bless him with love and healing.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I hate to see him, or any other racer, racked up and in the hospital bed. He's awake and surrounded by family though, and that's huge.

There's a rehab place, Casa Colina, not a mile from the lanes at Pomona. Supposed to do really well with brain and spinal injuries. One of my cousin's friends was there for a few months after a surfing accident. My insurance wouldn't foot the bill for me, but I think John may have better coverage ;) . There may be better places these days, but 10-20 years ago, this was the go-to for Hollywood people and such. Not a bad drive for the family either if still in OC.

A friend of mine was at Casa Colina after a gnarly t-bone intersection crash that pitched him off his Harley when a car ran a red light. He flatlined four times and they had to take his leg. He was at Casa Colina for a year but is doing well. He attributes most of it to Casa.

Clank123

Reaction score
Brings tears to my eyes. The greatest drag racer of all time is facing a challenge more daunting than any he bested in his career, and that smile, along with the demonstrated love of his family, gives me hope John will be able to retire from racing yet still lead a productive life.

May God bless him with love and healing.
Mine too!
Been doin this long enough to have known so many guys I can’t even count that have been killed or suffered massive life changing injuries.
I’ve always been that driver that hoped and prayed for the best to come out of these situations.
I’m no Pollyanna, but I refuse to think any other way.
My prayer for a John is the same as most, to recover quickly and completely. Enjoy his life, legacy and family.
If I could write a script for his final exit as a Driver, and I know I’ll get hammered on this, is that when fully recovered, he straps into his funny car at Pomona on a Sunday Morning at one of the 2 races(a year (or Indy) right after the National Anthem, they fire the car, he rolls through the water box and does a 1/8 mile burn out, backs it up and stages and then shuts the car down and takes a bow..,there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the facility.
Far fetched? I hope not.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Mine too!
Been doin this long enough to have known so many guys I can’t even count that have been killed or suffered massive life changing injuries.
I’ve always been that driver that hoped and prayed for the best to come out of these situations.
My prayer for a John is the same as most, to recover quickly and completely. Enjoy his life, legacy and family.
If I could write a script for his final exit as a Driver, and I know I’ll get hammered on this, is that when fully recovered, he straps into his funny car at Pomona on a Sunday Morning at one of the 2 races(a year (or Indy) right after the National Anthem, they fire the car, he rolls through the water box and does a 1/8 mile burn out, backs it up and stages and then shuts the car down and takes a bow..,there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the facility.
Far fetched? I hope not.
You and I (and many others) have been scared for the last two weeks. The camaraderie of racing, the competition, the people, are wonderful. But when the bad happens, it's horrible. Everything is OK one minute, the next is unimaginable.

I've been hoping and praying for someone I don't know, but I do know. You know him too. I want him to come back to us.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Mine too!
Far fetched? I hope not.
Doubt most here followed bull riding, but Tuff Hedeman at the 1995 NFR. Not too long before, "Bodacious" had smashed his face pretty good, reconstruction needed and near killed him. At the national finals, he drew Bodacious again. He laid his rigging over the bull, straddled him...and when the chute was pulled he was yanked off and the bull took off riderless. Tuff stood on the rails, and tipped his hat to the bull. It was pretty epic, and the arena gave him a standing ovation. He'd promised his young son he'd never try to ride that bull again.

John has already made legend status. He's had one of the best careers in racing history I think. I'm so happy to see him smiling and awake. Hopefully he gets to come back to a place near home soon.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I love this picture.

IMG_4843.jpeg

Force, 16 time FC world champion. 157 Wally’s

Ashley…back to back US Nationals Indy FC winner. 4 Wally’s

Courtney…29 final rounds, 12 Wally’s, 29 semi final rounds.

Britt…2 time TF world champion, 16 Wally’s, 35 final rounds. Owns both ends of the TF world record, and has set the top speed world record 11 times.
47 time number one qualifier, 12 track top speed records, 11 track ET records.

Laurie…mother to those 3 stunning girls, and married to John like 43 years or something crazy. No easy feat that.

That is what’s known as a pedigree. 😎

Get better John!

Last edited:

OC Mike

Reaction score
Mine too!
Far fetched? I hope not.
Well Said.
My eyes are watering up thinking about it.....

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I love this picture.

View attachment 1397914

Force, 16 time FC world champion. 157 Wally’s

Ashley…back to back US Nationals Indy FC winner. 4 Wally’s

Courtney…29 final rounds, 12 Wally’s, 29 semi final rounds.

Britt…2 time TF world champion, 16 Wally’s, 35 final rounds. Owns both ends of the TF world record, and has set the top speed world record 11 times.
47 time number one qualifier, 12 track top speed records, 11 track ET records.

Laurie…mother to those 3 stunning girls, and married to John like 43 years or something crazy. No easy feat that.

That is what’s known as a pedigree. 😎

Get better John!

Don't forget his 1st daughter Adria (far left)!

This man is tougher than most. If anybody can make a "full pass" out of this it's John Force.

rrrr

Reaction score
Don't forget his 1st daughter Adria (far left)!

This man is tougher than most. If anybody can make a "full pass" out of this it's John Force.
Thanks for that. I knew she is his daughter but couldn't recall her name.

boatpi

Reaction score
About 12 years ago I met him while waiting to board a flight at JWA. He had his Castrol jacket on. I wandered over to him, wished him best luck for the racing season. he smiled and acknowledged, polite. No one recognized him, I bet he liked it that way. Starting up a new company, and now running it with huge almost instant growth, I can look back, and now relate, and see how he had so much to handle as his career accelerated. It is a lot, and hard to sleep at times. I have the utmost respect for him and what he has built. Hoping for a full recovery.

Reaction score
John has a fractured sternum as well, had to be some hellish lateral G forces in the crash.

Clank123

Reaction score
Good video from Alan Reinhart explaining the chute failure.

You tree’d me by 30 seconds!
Thanks for posting.
Changes will be made for sure.
That must’ve been a real boomer inside the car to do that kind of damage.
I got oiled down and a flash fire in my front motor car at 170 plus, at night in the lights at Fomoso, so with no vision it’s a handful for sure, got the chute out and just reacted to what the car was doing by feel.
Can’t imagine what it’s like at near 300!
He has come a long way in the last week!
So great to see👍

Last edited:

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Being lazy and not reading 238 previous posts, could someone advise John's prognosis? Partial paralysis? Something worse?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Being lazy and not reading 238 previous posts, could someone advise John's prognosis? Partial paralysis? Something worse?
He’s doing fine except when his squash suddenly shifts into neutral for a spell once in a while. Other than that he’s probably his fast talking self. He was diagnosed with TBI. And has a broken sternum and some other bruises.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
At least give the guy some time to read through. John has given us so much entertainment through the years, he deserves our attention to his well being.

thmterry

Reaction score
I hope nothing but the best for John and want him back at the track soon, but once again being the Goat doesnt mean you should be in a 12000 horsepower car when your reactions and physical health are a little slow, Has anyone been listening to his interviews after round wins lately? He just isnt as sharp as he once was, watch him get out of the car after a race. Just a couple signs that age is a real thing in these cars. Plus as many booms he has already been in, TBI might have already been there a little.
I watched a 70 year old on Americas Ninja Warriors last night. This guy was awesome and in fantastic shape, 5th in the world at his age in a track event. He didn't make it past the 2nd obstacle. Once again age is a bitch.

Just my .02

rrrr

Reaction score
About 12 years ago I met him while waiting to board a flight at JWA. He had his Castrol jacket on. I wandered over to him, wished him best luck for the racing season. he smiled and acknowledged, polite. No one recognized him, I bet he liked it that way.
I had totally forgotten the same thing happened to me in the 00s at a crowded DFW gate. He was even wearing a leather jacket, one that said "Thirteen Time NHRA Funny Car Champion" on the back. John was very nice to this fan, we chatted for a couple of minutes before I left him alone. I didn't want to attract attention to him.

The recent photos of him with Courtney are wonderful. Keep fighting!

Last edited:

oldman

Reaction score
Gawd Damn,
I remember the trucking Co, I remember going to car shows and BBQ's at Don Steve's back when they were a sponsor. Long before he had the big shop in Yorba Linda. Having him hang out and tell typical "John" stories and just having a great time. The guy loves life.

I'm not saying he needs to hang it up, but I don't want him to become a racing footnote either.

This from a fan, and a local that would run into him.

Oh ya, BTW, did you guys here Boyd died??🤣🤣🤣

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Gawd Damn,
I remember the trucking Co, I remember going to car shows and BBQ's at Don Steve's back when they were a sponsor. Long before he had the big shop in Yorba Linda. Having him hang out and tell typical "John" stories and just having a great time. The guy loves life.

I'm not saying he needs to hang it up, but I don't want him to become a racing footnote either.

This from a fan, and a local that would run into him.

Oh ya, BTW, did you guys here Boyd died??🤣🤣🤣
… Who Jimmy Boyd died???…