WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got fired today...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
This shit happens to me all the time. Whether it’s airline tickets, Uber, Marriott hotels, etc…

Never an issue. The first G/L code when coding my CC expenses monthly is “personal purchase.”

When I’m expensing anywhere between $10k-$20k a month, mistakes happen. Never an issue in my organization.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Well sh*t. This thread just made me realize I need to put together an expense report for a recent work trip to El Paso. I’m missing one of my receipts, not sure what’s going to happen because this has never happened before.

I got laid off in May of 2022. It took me until April of 2023 to find another job. It’s going to suck a$$ if this is something that leads to termination.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Dave,
Here's my story. one of our managers had purchased $2k+ on a personal credit card for training/conference, then, submitted for and was reimbursed. Then, a month or so later submitted for the reimbursement again, it was caught by the accounting staff after the fact. it was repaid by the employee, they claimed they forgot they had already been reimbursed..... Same manager uses a personal card instead of the company card, for obvious reasons (insert: cash back, and airline incentives). I have a problem with it, because being a public entity and public funds, that kickback should be to the advantage of the district. A soda, or avocado mistakenly added to the calcard is forgivable, I think there should be a threashold or time restriction of when the purchase was made and when the mistake was discovered.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I was offered a company credit card years ago or told I could use my card and get reimbursed.
The owner was very clear mistakesdon'tt happen. Only theft and incompetence happen and he fires for both.
10 years no company card but thousands in cash back rewards.
I'd love to be given that line, so I can throw it in their face when they fuck up my check from time to time. "So, theft or incompetence? And, who's getting fired over it?".

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
No shit. That owner is an asshole in my book.
Owners like that fail to realize people who recognize their toxic/controlling traits will go elsewhere. Plenty of competition in my industry people are fighting for solid reps… Including myself, pretty much everyone I know who changed companies was involved in a bidding war with multiple companies in the last few months.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
This shit happens to me all the time. Whether it’s airline tickets, Uber, Marriott hotels, etc…

Never an issue. The first G/L code when coding my CC expenses monthly is “personal purchase.”

When I’m expensing anywhere between $10k-$20k a month, mistakes happen. Never an issue in my organization.
Concur for the win. Lets remember not all companies use sophisticated T& E tools.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Well sh*t. This thread just made me realize I need to put together an expense report for a recent work trip to El Paso. I’m missing one of my receipts, not sure what’s going to happen because this has never happened before.

I got laid off in May of 2022. It took me until April of 2023 to find another job. It’s going to suck a$$ if this is something that leads to termination.
Everyone loses receipts man... I'm certain your mgr can advise you on protocol so don't hide from situation. They'll be glad you called.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
That’s what my employer uses. Occasionally a PITA otherwise best there is..
Love Concur... but the corp finance guys can fuck it up for field personnel with all their penny wise crap regarding what spend they'll allow. If done right I could knock out weeks of reporting in mere minutes not hours.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… You should’ve seen how we did it in the movie industry… with receipts…Eni mini mini mo…all the other departments got our receipts, for who knows what…
….We would go into the big guys office and I think there was five or so different piles for the different departments …as long as it sort of made sense the production office okayed it…Dunno???.,,

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Dave,
Here's my story. one of our managers had purchased $2k+ on a personal credit card for training/conference, then, submitted for and was reimbursed. Then, a month or so later submitted for the reimbursement again, it was caught by the accounting staff after the fact. it was repaid by the employee, they claimed they forgot they had already been reimbursed..... Same manager uses a personal card instead of the company card, for obvious reasons (insert: cash back, and airline incentives). I have a problem with it, because being a public entity and public funds, that kickback should be to the advantage of the district. A soda, or avocado mistakenly added to the calcard is forgivable, I think there should be a threashold or time restriction of when the purchase was made and when the mistake was discovered.

Unless they have changed it that is the same way with the fed gov. My wife had to charge everything and then get reimbursed. Yes a lot of airline miles.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
They fight it and I'm out front with a big ass sign "GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN, THE COMPANY IS MOVING". 😁

Every single person I fired never got unemployment. I always had way to much documentation. Every person I fired knew they were going to get fired before I actually did it. Have clear cut rules and procedures. That makes it easy.

I know that wasn't your case. Your sounds personnel, which should never come into play.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Yeah, the old:
"It's business, nothing personal..," line.

Singleton

Reaction score
When I was working internal audit and responsible for special investigations (fraud), we had the following theory.

- you identify the corporate card misuse, report it and pay company back within 30 days. No issue, no report to file. Shit occurs, but YOU made it right.

- IF I find it during our monthly company credit card audit OR via a fraud special investigation - almost always you are terminated.

Worst cases I had to deal with
1) Sales Rep was processing his BMW lease payment through the expense system. Fired him and his manager for approving the expenses

2) Entire department terminated for abusing the expense system. From staff all the way up to the department VP. 20 people in total. Not only did we terminate everyone, we collected all items purchased and then took them to court for the amount each one charged. Total fraud was over $1M

Last edited:

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I have a problem with it, because being a public entity and public funds, that kickback should be to the advantage of the district.

You just opened another massive can of worms - when the discussion about the current one was doing just fine 🤣.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
Sounds like an "over reaction" to a legitimate mistake that you stepped up to...If you werent "written up" you make have a grievance I'd a least consult council
This is the issue today, always quick to seek legal. How about taking personal responsibility, even if it was a legitimate mistake.

Own mistakes and move on.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Little update here, I've elected not to get back into manufacturing as that's been my life for the last 47 years. I've filed for my SS retirement and have appealed the Unemployment Insurance that I feel is due to me. One can get their SSR and Unemployment at the same time so there's that.
My nephew is a GC doing a lot of work for the last 10+ years in the LB/Naples/Belmont Shore area. I've been busy with him watching over a few of the jobs. Things are looking good with little to no stress as in my previous positions. Life is short and I'm going to enjoy what I do going forward.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Dave. Good to hear that things are working out. It sucks when a person is so close to the finish line and then things are moves for you.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Little update here, I've elected not to get back into manufacturing as that's been my life for the last 47 years. I've filed for my SS retirement and have appealed the Unemployment Insurance that I feel is due to me. One can get their SSR and Unemployment at the same time so there that.
My nephew is a GC doing a lot of work for the last 10+ years in the LB/Naples/Belmont Shore area. I've been busy with him watching over a few of the jobs and he pays well. Things are looking good with little to no stress as in my pinrevious positions. Life is short and I'm going to enjoy what I do going forward.
Wait, so you're getting unemployment or working for your nephew?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Little update here, I've elected not to get back into manufacturing as that's been my life for the last 47 years. I've filed for my SS retirement and have appealed the Unemployment Insurance that I feel is due to me. One can get their SSR and Unemployment at the same time so there that.
My nephew is a GC doing a lot of work for the last 10+ years in the LB/Naples/Belmont Shore area. I've been busy with him watching over a few of the jobs and he pays well. Things are looking good with little to no stress as in my pinrevious positions. Life is short and I'm going to enjoy what I do going forward.
Good for you Dave. FYI. You’re only allowed to make so much $$$ a month once you start collecting SS depending on your age. Ca$h is better. 😝

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Good for you Dave. FYI. You’re only allowed to make so much $$$ a month once you start collecting SS depending on your age. Ca$h is better. 😝
Ya I’ve been told they changed that. Told I was dumb for not taking SS now while working. On friend said he got a retro active check to make up what he didn’t file for.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Ya I’ve been told they changed that. Told I was dumb for not taking SS now while working. On friend said he got a retro active check to make up what he didn’t file for.
I’m only allowed to make $1780.00 a month or I get penalized. Im 63. The amount goes up the older you are.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Little update here, I've elected not to get back into manufacturing as that's been my life for the last 47 years. I've filed for my SS retirement and have appealed the Unemployment Insurance that I feel is due to me. One can get their SSR and Unemployment at the same time so there's that.
My nephew is a GC doing a lot of work for the last 10+ years in the LB/Naples/Belmont Shore area. I've been busy with him watching over a few of the jobs and he pays well. Things are looking good with little to no stress as in my previous positions. Life is short and I'm going to enjoy what I do going forward.
Hell yeah. Great to hear. GL with the unemployment fight. Aa change of scenery and a new challenge can give a whole new perspective on life.

timstoy

Reaction score
Go to the SS in Lakewood in person and they will give you all your options. They have a sliding scale that goes with your date of birth and your maximum benefit. When you reach the maximum benefit you will not be penalized on your income just regular tax rates. As always cash is king!.

cofooter

Reaction score
Go to the SS in Lakewood in person and they will give you all your options. They have a sliding scale that goes with your date of birth and your maximum benefit. When you reach the maximum benefit you will not be penalized on your income just regular tax rates. As always cash is king!.
Never heard of this, did you mean to say once you've reached your full retirement age????

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Wait, so you're getting unemployment or working for your nephew?
He was denied unemployment by his employer and has appealed it. What are you supposed to do, sit on your thumb and wait for the government to do its thing?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Not disagreeing. But isn’t it the age 70 that the limits of income go away. I’m just starting looking into my retirement package and SS. 🤷

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My nephew is a GC doing a lot of work for the last 10+ years in the LB/Naples/Belmont Shore area. I've been busy with him watching over a few of the jobs. Things are looking good with little to no stress as in my previous positions. Life is short and I'm going to enjoy what I do going forward.

Attitude is everything. Well done young man! 👍🏼👍🏼

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I’ve gone to the Brea office, called the 800 # and have waited a hour both times. They were both very helpful. I prefer logging onto my SS account to get most of my info.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
He was denied unemployment by his employer and has appealed it. What are you supposed to do, sit on your thumb and wait for the government to do its thing?
So when he wins his appeal he’s going to quit on his nephew? That’s kind of a messed up thing to do to family. ;)

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Never heard of this, did you mean to say once you've reached your full retirement age????
If you take SS and work you are taxed huge on any amount over like 70?k until you age out.
Buuut , some Friends recently told me the income limit was eliminated. The amount you draw depending on age still applies?
The way I understand it?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
If you take SS and work you are taxed huge on any amount over like 70?k until you age out.
Buuut , some Friends recently told me the income limit was eliminated. The amount you draw depending on age still applies?
The way I understand it?
The way it was explained to me from the SS people a few months ago. At my age of 63 I’m only allowed to make $1780.00 a month. Any amount over that I get penalized $1 for every $2 I make over that number.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
The way it was explained to me from the SS people a few months ago. At my age of 63 I’m only allowed to make $1780.00 a month. Any amount over that I get penalized $1 for every $2 I make over that number.
Which roughly puts you at anything over 20k income while taking SS. Unless over 70 as what I’ve heard.

Best way to know is to do your research and contact SS on your own. As it seems everyone. Or many have and get different info.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Bobby V. Have a question for you being a union guy. I’m not sure if you are already on your pension. So. Bear with me.
I am able to take mine now at 60.( 41 yrs in & 102k hours ) But if I do I cannot take another union job in my local and work over 49 hours a month without penalty.
Is this the same or similar for you.
I can take and make as much as I want I. A non union job.

Last edited:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Which roughly puts you at anything over 20k income while taking SS. Unless over 70 as what I’ve heard.

Best way to know is to do your research and contact SS on your own. As it seems everyone. Or many have and get different info.
Yes. I don’t plan on working any more. I was contacted by SS saying I made more then I said I would by my retirement date I gave them. Hopefully not a problem. My concern I received 2 bonus, commission checks from my company after my official retirement date. I called SS and self reported the extra income. Once you reach FRA your income shouldn’t be a problem the way I understand it. 🤷

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Bobby V. Have a question for you being a union guy. I’m not sure if you are already on your pension. So. Bear with me.
I am able to take mine now at 60.( 41 yrs in & 102k hours ) But if I do I cannot take another union job in my local and work over 49 hours a week without penalty.
Is this the same or similar for you.
I can take and make as much as I want I. A non union job.
We are not allowed to work in our industry at all after retirement. Years ago they allowed us to retire and stay in the industry if we weren’t in a union position. Like an estimator or engineering. To many members didn’t play by the rules and they got rid of that option. There isn’t many members that would be eligible. But I was one of them. 🤷

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
And do not link them to Amazon or Apple Pay etc. 😳
I would buy stuff for the company on occasion through my amazon acct since the company didn't have one. I just grabbed the credit card from my boss and used that, then it was saved in the list of cards on file for purchases. I think it's still there actually and I (nor he) has worked there for 3 years lol. Took a while to train myself and the wife to check what card it defaulted to when making a purchase and making sure it's correct...but it works fine. I can see how the mistake can happen.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I would buy stuff for the company on occasion through my amazon acct since the company didn't have one. I just grabbed the credit card from my boss and used that, then it was saved in the list of cards on file for purchases. I think it's still there actually and I (nor he) has worked there for 3 years lol. Took a while to train myself and the wife to check what card it defaulted to when making a purchase and making sure it's correct...but it works fine. I can see how the mistake can happen.
Why not remove it?

timstoy

Reaction score
Not disagreeing. But isn’t it the age 70 that the limits of income go away. I’m just starting looking into my retirement package and SS.
Used to be 65 and you reached your maximum benefit which is confusing but means you will not be penalized additional taxes if you took SS and continued to work. Now they use a sliding scale from your date of birth in my case it was 66 and 6 months to receive my maximum benefit. Say you retired at 60 and take your SS, you now can only make a certain amount which SS will tell you and anything over that you will be penalized with additional taxes. Maximum benefit is confusing because you can work forever and your SS benefits will keep increasing with years worked. Everyones situation is different that’s why I suggest a one on one at the SS office.

timstoy

Reaction score
Another benefit we found out at the SS office is if you are married whoever has the most benefits it can go to the surviving spouse when the other spouse passes. Say the husband had a higher benefit than the wife she will get his higher benefit when he passes. I prefer dealing one on one with a list of questions. It can be very difficult mainly because we only do this once.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Used to be 65 and you reached your maximum benefit which is confusing but means you will not be penalized additional taxes if you took SS and continued to work. Now they use a sliding scale from your date of birth in my case it was 66 and 6 months to receive my maximum benefit. Say you retired at 60 and take your SS, you now can only make a certain amount which SS will tell you and anything over that you will be penalized with additional taxes. Maximum benefit is confusing because you can work forever and your SS benefits will keep increasing with years worked. Everyones situation is different that’s why I suggest a one on one at the SS office.
Just curious. How can you retire at 60 and be eligible for SS? Isn’t 62 the minimum age to collect when you retire. Unless you’re disabled of course.