WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F26 / Mach 26

JFMFG

Reaction score
i took apart the upper and steering cap. Didn’t see anything wrong. No metal shavings or pits in the gear.

I also did get a quote for the Scx and trying to make it happen. Only problem is I need to take off my extension box and helmet to be powdercoated.
Rich people problems.

Nail It

Reaction score
i took apart the upper and steering cap. Didn’t see anything wrong. No metal shavings or pits in the gear.

I also did get a quote for the Scx and trying to make it happen. Only problem is I need to take off my extension box and helmet to be powdercoated.
You wouldn't be able to see much with the caps off if the clutch shaft broke. Did the drive go into nuetral when it broke?

When you took the lower off could you spin the drive shaft and/or prop shaft? I've eaten quite a few lower gear sets and there was alot of metal on the plug magnet. Your magnet looked like it only had a small amount of metal from the picture.

ChrisV

Reaction score
You wouldn't be able to see much with the caps off if the clutch shaft broke. Did the drive go into nuetral when it broke?

When you took the lower off could you spin the drive shaft and/or prop shaft? I've eaten quite a few lower gear sets and there was alot of metal on the plug magnet. Your magnet looked like it only had a small amount of metal from the picture.
It stayed in forward and free reved.

I could spin the lower unit. Didn't seem like it lost a gear but it did make a clicking noise spinning.

The lower is getting torn apart in the next few hours so hopefully we find nothing. But it does make me wonder what cause the shaft to break? Last week i did jump a wakeboat wave pretty bad and was on throttle.

Nail It

Reaction score
It stayed in forward and free reved.

I could spin the lower unit. Didn't seem like it lost a gear but it did make a clicking noise spinning.

The lower is getting torn apart in the next few hours so hopefully we find nothing. But it does make me wonder what cause the shaft to break? Last week i did jump a wakeboat wave pretty bad and was on throttle.
The lower gears will make some noise when the lower is not bolted to the upper, since there is no preload on the pinion gear.

Jumping wakes while on throttle is exactly what will break clutch shafts. This is how I broke my first XR in 20 hours, the other 2 lasted 40 hours, and the SCX upper has 250hours and counting. My driving style has not changed.

All 3 times I have broken an upper is when getting on plane. I try to keep it under 3k rpms and once it rolls over it's game on. Everyone says you need to be easy on it, but who buys a mach 26 to baby it and drive 30 mph everywhere? Not me!

I'm willing to bet your issue is in the upper. But let us know what you find.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Any m26 that have an Scx with an extension box? Feel like the box makes the porpoise worst imo.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
Doesnt @CammdSS mach have a standoff and scx? I would assume the standoff would reduce the porpoise, but I've never been in one. @Orangegazm would know
A stand off with a Bravo style prop will make the boat porpoise. I have a #6 drive and finding props to test is tough, I thought the boat needed tail lift with the extra weight of the drive/transmission... I was wrong, the boat wanted bow lift. I had a 4 blade cleaver turned into a chopper and the boat absolutely loves it. I want to try a 5 blade cleaver with 18-20* of rake, I think that will be the ticket. I will have more power this time around so a new prop will be a must.

ChrisV

Reaction score
@CammdSS
A stand off with a Bravo style prop will make the boat porpoise. I have a #6 drive and finding props to test is tough, I thought the boat needed tail lift with the extra weight of the drive/transmission... I was wrong, the boat wanted bow lift. I had a 4 blade cleaver turned into a chopper and the boat absolutely loves it. I want to try a 5 blade cleaver with 18-20* of rake, I think that will be the ticket. I will have more power this time around so a new prop will be a must.
Judd been helping me with my boat and we were talking about your build yesterday. Can’t wait to see it.

Side not:
I love the stand off but low key want to take it off.

CammdSS

Reaction score
Doesnt @CammdSS mach have a standoff and scx? I would assume the standoff would reduce the porpoise, but I've never been in one. @Orangegazm would know
@CammdSS

Judd been helping me with my boat and we were talking about your build yesterday. Can’t wait to see it.

Side not:
I love the stand off but low key want to take it off.
I havent driven a 26 without a box so I couldnt tell you whats better. Im with @02HoWaRd26 - through many peoples thousands of hours of testing in the past, having the extension box should decrease the porpoise. But again, I havent A/B split tested it. Thats just from the research I have done as well.

Mine hops from 65ish-75ish but I never stay in the hop. I tried it once, held 70 for about a minute and it was like riding a bull trying to buck me off. I either stay under or over but I never look at the speedo. With the power itll get through it in 3 seconds when my foot is to the wood. I still only have about 10-15 hours on the boat so I really dont have a good baseline, I'm not much help here.

Im sure tab length and drive height has an impact idk every boat set up is different

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I havent driven a 26 without a box so I couldnt tell you whats better. Im with @02HoWaRd26 - through many peoples thousands of hours of testing in the past, having the extension box should decrease the porpoise. But again, I havent A/B split tested it. Thats just from the research I have done as well.

Mine hops from 65ish-75ish but I never stay in the hop. I tried it once, held 70 for about a minute and it was like riding a bull trying to buck me off. I either stay under or over but I never look at the speedo. With the power itll get through it in 3 seconds when my foot is to the wood. I still only have about 10-15 hours on the boat so I really dont have a good baseline, I'm not much help here.

Im sure tab length and drive height has an impact idk every boat set up is different
So mine starts at 60, and goes till 70. There’s some tricks like a jiggle to the steering to help stop it, but really only way is with power.