WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB M35 Rollover... THE TRUTH!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What are we gonna do with the truth?

We want rampant speculation followed by summary judgement ;)

Summary is if you drive a big boat like a small outboard sooner or later you are gonna get bit.

These big ass boats don't like a lot of positive trim.. You cross a wake and lift the bow up and then fill it up from the prop wash of the boat in front of you and you are going up and over.. This boat didn't actually blow over. It went up, stood on the tail came back down and then started walking. It actually settled down for a half a second but he never got out of the throttles and it went back up again and ended up sideways and eventually upside down.

Cold hard truth is it was nothing but driver error. Too much trim and then when it all went sideways he never got out of it. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to throw the guy under the bus, I actually like the guy from my limited experience with him. But he made a mistake, shit happened. Nobody got hurt so it all ended up ok. There's always next year.

RD

milkmoney

Reaction score
Summary is if you drive a big boat like a small outboard sooner or later you are gonna get bit.

These big ass boats don't like a lot of positive trim.. You cross a wake and lift the bow up and then fill it up from the prop wash of the boat in front of you and you are going up and over.. This boat didn't actually blow over. It went up, stood on the tail came back down and then started walking. It actually settled down for a half a second but he never got out of the throttles and it went back up again and ended up sideways and eventually upside down.

maybe by not getting out of the throttles, might be due to the fact that he was out of the seat, or hangin on?????

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Lol

I was trying to make a funny. Not being serious. ;)

I stop trying to make sense of events that I have no first hand knowledge of years ago. :D there is nothing to learn from second, third and fourth hand knowledge. Lol

I'm just glad the passengers are OK and hope this incident doesn't give the poker run a black eye in the future so it can continue being a fun event for everyone

Cold hard truth is it was nothing but driver error. Too much trim and then when it all went sideways he never got out of it. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to throw the guy under the bus, I actually like the guy from my limited experience with him. But he made a mistake, shit happened. Nobody got hurt so it all ended up ok. There's always next year.

RD

Last edited:

tkrrox

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367265312.923445.jpg here it is being taken out of the water. Is was helping get the bags off it and pulling the plugs. If this is where it was remedied and it didn't get moved by anyone from the time of recovery to the ramp I would definitely say it was trimmed to the moon

tkrrox

Reaction score
I will say its hard to tell but in the pic when it's in the air it doesn't looked trimmed this high

Singleton

Reaction score
View attachment 266846 here it is being taken out of the water. Is was helping get the bags off it and pulling the plugs. If this is where it was remedied and it didn't get moved by anyone from the time of recovery to the ramp I would definitely say it was trimmed to the moon

Once water gets into the electronic I would say they are not moving. Those are at the position they were at when it went over. Way too much trim and if you are in trouble you trim down and throttle off.

Not to spread rumors, but I will. I heard this same driver had issues at the Lake Cumberland run last year and was fined for reckless driving and blackballed from future events.

hallett21

Reaction score
View attachment 266846 here it is being taken out of the water. Is was helping get the bags off it and pulling the plugs. If this is where it was remedied and it didn't get moved by anyone from the time of recovery to the ramp I would definitely say it was trimmed to the moon

It's almost hard to believe that the props could get a good bite on the water trimmed that high.

tkrrox

Reaction score
It's almost hard to believe that the props could get a good bite on the water trimmed that high.

That's what I would think. Maybe he saw wave and trimmed up instead of down on accident. Purely speculation though as I have no idea what went down. I'm glad they are alright and this doesn't effect future events.

eddie

Reaction score

These big ass boats don't like a lot of positive trim..

RD

2007 Lake Cumberland PR I was throttling a 35 Baja with 700/NXT running next to a cat 96 GPS went over a 330 Formula SS wake stood boat on end. I was pitched into cuddy had life jacket and kill switches on. Very humbling experience, same issues: skill level, speed and trim.

Glad all are ok.

Last edited:

Blubyu

Reaction score
This wan't the only M35 to have issues this weekend either.. There was one up at Pirates that was taking on water like a mofo.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I'm not getting into any speculation on the accident, but I can tell you that boat was not driven with the drives at that trim angle.

CHAD1

Reaction score
Once water gets into the electronic I would say they are not moving. Those are at the position they were at when it went over. Way too much trim and if you are in trouble you trim down and throttle off.

Not to spread rumors, but I will. I heard this same driver had issues at the Lake Cumberland run last year and was fined for reckless driving and blackballed from future events.

Not true. Boat has never been to Lake C

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I know the truth!! Someone told me at the after party. ;)

Patyacht

Reaction score
Guessing they raised the drives to keep the air bags from slipping out and keeping props away from air bags when they floated the boat.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
That was my guess too Pat. Is there a way to rise the drives after the boat was under water? Assuming the switches to rise the drives wouldn't work?

Yeah. Batteries and DC electrical systems will work for quite a while after being submerged.

Maybe someone trimmed the drives before loading the hull onto the trailer?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

That boat should never run that kind of trim. That's insane. Unless its shallow and your at idle avoiding grounding a prop.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Here's another thought though. The drivers hand could have been holding the throttles and trim button during the crash. He could have just been holding on for the ride and squeezing the switch.

Deano

Reaction score
No way they were trimmed liked that under power..

You didn't hear that armchair quarterbacks can drive a surface prop above the surface and completely out of the water?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Here's another thought though. The drivers hand could have been holding the throttles and trim button during the crash. He could have just been holding on for the ride and squeezing the switch.

... or maybe one of the zip ties was too tight, shorting the up trim controls, and caused the whole thing with excessive rigging excellence.

Cajun

Reaction score

If the boat is aired out, nearly vertical at say 70mph and the first thing that touches the water are a pair of drives, could the water have enough force to rip the drives into that position?

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score

Yes

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I'm not getting into any speculation on the accident, but I can tell you that boat was not driven with the drives at that trim angle.

And if it had been, the blades of the prop would have been tossed.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Btw, where is the original thread. It had some good educational reading in it!

Duffster

Reaction score
Wonder if insurance is going to cover the damage to a now very used F35. I'm pretty sure that's why none of the video footage has not been posted. Got to keep that shit on the down low.

Also the owner of the boat and DCB should be thanking their lucky stars that no one got killed. I know first hand how those court trials go.

Singleton

Reaction score
The question I have, is why were they on that side of the lake. Maybe the photos and videos are making the angle bad, but both Bob and Jim stressed multiple times, stay on the Cali side when heading south and the Az side when going north.
If you followed those rules, why were all the big boys running on the Az side and not taking that turn wider.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
If the boat is aired out, nearly vertical at say 70mph and the first thing that touches the water are a pair of drives, could the water have enough force to rip the drives into that position?

I don't know, but I was thinking the same thing. On my boat which is not a cat, the only way the drives are getting that high is with trailer trim..

Cajun

Reaction score
That video although missing some of the footage just before most should be able to figure out what happened.

That was very neat seeing how most everyone turned around for help.

milkmoney

Reaction score
That was very neat seeing how most everyone turned around for help.

how many cats have you driven and have they had jets or outdrives...?...................................bnag:)lol

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
The question I have, is why were they on that side of the lake. Maybe the photos and videos are making the angle bad, but both Bob and Jim stressed multiple times, stay on the Cali side when heading south and the Az side when going north.
If you followed those rules, why were all the big boys running on the Az side and not taking that turn wider.

Staying to left is the shortest way around the lake. It's illegal...but the shortest way around that turn.

skav

Reaction score
Guessing they raised the drives to keep the air bags from slipping out and keeping props away from air bags when they floated the boat.

The salvage crew stated that they killed power first thing and never touched anything. That was made very clear.

Cajun

Reaction score
how many cats have you driven and have they had jets or outdrives...?...................................bnag:)lol

What does your question have to do with the kudos I gave about the helicopter video showing everyone turning around that you quoted me on?

Go Big

Reaction score
The salvage crew stated that they killed power first thing and never touched anything. That was made very clear.

Guys, Lets get off the trim question. There is no way that boat was operating at that trim level. Its a boat not an airplane. The props need to be in the water.

milkmoney

Reaction score
What does your question have to do with the kudos I gave about the helicopter video showing everyone turning around that you quoted me on?

it didnt, i jus quoted you so you knew i was jabbin at ya.....:)

Cajun

Reaction score
it didnt, i jus quoted you so you knew i was jabbin at ya.....:)

Ya, because my phone goes "ding", I look at the message box and it reads
"Milkmoney has quoted you..." And I get about that far and I think, oh hell. :D

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ya, because my phone goes "ding", I look at the message box and it reads
"Milkmoney has quoted you..." And I get about that far and I think, oh hell. :D

i would too...lol:)

Go Big

Reaction score

maybe by not getting out of the throttles, might be due to the fact that he was out of the seat, or hangin on?????

Are you kidding me?? At no point was that boat back in control. When it came down it hit the right side of of the sponson digging in and causing it to roll. It practicly landed sidways and continued over.

hp1050

Reaction score
If the drives were at that angle which is way past the max angle for an SSM VI there would have been no drive the universals would have been smashed to pieces.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?? At no point was that boat back in control. When it came down it hit the right side of of the sponson digging in and causing it to roll. It practicly landed sidways and continued over.

I never said it was under control. I said it settled down for a half a second.. Implying that if the guy was on his A game he might've been able to save it.

RD