WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB M35 Rollover... THE TRUTH!!!!

skater40

Reaction score
The pic of the drives when the boat was put on the trailer tells the story.I saw it up close at Verns shop when he pulled the drives and the drive was trimmed so high that he hit the swim platform and bent the aerator tube.The swim platform was his trim stop-once the aerator hit it, it was as high as it would go.

Go Big

Reaction score
The pic of the drives when the boat was put on the trailer tells the story.I saw it up close at Verns shop when he pulled the drives and the drive was trimmed so high that he hit the swim platform and bent the aerator tube.The swim platform was his trim stop-once the aerator hit it, it was as high as it would go.

There is no way that boat drove with the drive in that position. The props have to at least touch the water. The prop is above the bottom of the boat.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Is it possible that as the driver decided to cross behind the 41 that he might have accidentally raised the drives instead of lowering them? How long has the driver owned this boat?

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Is it possible that as the driver decided to cross behind the 41 that he might have accidentally raised the drives instead of lowering them? How long has the driver owned this boat?
That was test test drive - it wasn't even his boat yet

Blubyu

Reaction score
That was test test drive - it wasn't even his boat yet

Yep... Pretty much a hand shake deal that wasn't final yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Allegedly. :D
55134610151260295070303.jpg

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
That was very neat seeing how most everyone turned around for help.

You know everyone has their opinions about cause, effect, etc.; but that is the one thing that sticks out to me. I'm trying not to be judgmental, but that is a pretty stiff character statement there, he just keeps on going and appears to still be concerned about first to the card stop even in the aftermath.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
You know everyone has their opinions about cause, effect, etc.; but that is the one thing that sticks out to me. I'm trying not to be judgmental, but that is a pretty stiff character statement there, he just keeps on going and appears to still be concerned about first to the card stop even in the aftermath.

My buddy in his 32 was right behind the first boats and he said he never saw it. He said he ended up 3rd to the card stop and didn't know there was any kind of accident. I'd imagine Tony had no clue what was going on behind him either.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
We were parked under the power lines at the CA intake, the 41 was ahead of the rest by about 30 seconds maybe a full minute. Yes it's possible he was not aware.

racered

Reaction score
I just watched the Raylar video of the crash, and the overall chaos of cross traffic during a full on race,and realized it is exactly what I see when I'm at the local dirt track races here in Texas. The shaky video, the tire kicking in the pits after the show, it's all here with this deal. This f$%king thread would really blow up if someone would throw some punches. Yea a full on f$5cking good ole boy race. Bitch:finger

drtywhat

Reaction score

You don't think the impact of landing on its ass end after being airborn pushed the drives up? To me that seems like a lot of force and it could have done that to the drives.?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You don't think the impact of landing on its ass end after being airborn pushed the drives up? To me that seems like a lot of force and it could have done that to the drives.?

No way the drives got lifted from the impact of water.. And no way the drives were in that position when the boat was under power. Boat would not even run with drives up that high.

That being said he was still over trimmed and under experienced.

Reactions: TBI

CHAD1

Reaction score
Dave, Why do you keep assuming he had no seat time? I agree you can have your opinion on whether or not he made a mistake but you question his experience .

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, Why do you keep assuming he had no seat time? I agree you can have your opinion on whether or not he made a mistake but you question his experience .

How much seat time could someone have in a boat that has been sitting in the showroom of OCM forever?

RD

F26

Banned
Reaction score
Let me preface this with a few statements/observations...

1. Everybody who witnesses any sudden event sees sees things differently. Single event, multiple stories, sometimes VERY at odds with each other.

2. Even if you are the driver that is involved in an "incident" you will have a very different and also very narrow perspective of what actually happens.

That said, here is what actually happened from my perspective, viewed from the air, in the helicopter that was probably less than 100 feet away and directly on top of the rollover. Unfortunately, due to some stupid technical problems I was unable to capture any of this on video. Jay Nichols/Naples Image has a great still sequence of the entire event from start to finish however that if he so chooses will share and will corroborate the narrative that follows...

The silver DCB's were running together, side by side at about 75 MPH behind the pace boat, with the 41 that Tony was driving to the right and about 3/4 of a boat length ahead of the 35. The first group was running very organized, all together in what is probably one of the best starts that I have ever witnessed at Desert Storm. Nobody jumped or even tried to jump the start. Absolutely GREAT cooperation and driving from the first group.

When the first group made it to the natural left turn at Pilot Rock the boats were released and had just started spooling up. Very shortly after being released, the boats were probably running about 80 - 90 MPH, Tony had to make a very slight course correction to the left to avoid another boat ahead of him that was on the lake either as an unaware lake user or as a tardy spectator. Tony, in the 41, bore slightly to the left, just enough that I could see that the spacing between the 41 and 35 was narrowing. He did nothing out of the ordinary and certainly did not cut anybody off or unnecessarily cause anyone to take evasive action. Just a very gentle left drift to avoid an obstacle ahead.

The 35, rather than bearing left in parallel with the 41 and the rest of the group for that matter, chose to back out of the throttles and bear RIGHT, crossing fairly close, about 15 or 20 feet, behind the 41 and over the wake of the 41.

Once the 35 hit that wake the whole program got loose. The nose of the boat was rising and the boat started to "tail walk" for lack of a better term. The 35 chined side to side on the tail several times, perhaps 5 or 6 times, with the nose progressively rising higher and higher with each chine... Left, right, left, right, nose higher, higher, higher until the boat was pretty much vertical... sponsons pointed to the sky.

Once vertical, the rear right corner hit the water and pulled the boat back down, perfectly on its right/starboard side.

The boat then rolled to the left bringing the boat upright and going straight on its original course having slowed down significantly. Both the driver and the navigator were still in the boat at this point and we in the helicopter were actually thinking that he was going to actually save the boat from rolling. We even had time to verbally say to each other over the onboard intercom system, "Holy shit!!! He's gonna save it!!!"

At that point the boat pulled hard to the left and hooked, rolling the boat hard over to the right and at that point the driver and navigator were pitched out of the boat and the boat crashed upside down on the water surface, wherein it then swamped and sank to a sponsons up attitude. The whole sequence took several seconds to develop. It was not a fast crash. One thing led to another over the course of some time, enough so that we in the helicopter were able to have our own commentary along the lines of "Whoa!!! Whoa!!! WHOA!!! WHOA!!! HOLY SHIT HE'S GONNA SAVE IT, OH SHIT!!! QUICK, LET'S GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Almost all of the first group boats stopped and circled around the 35 in a protective and aid rendering mode. The DS rescue & safety helicopters and boats were on top of the 35 within seconds, with one rescue diver deployed and another ready to go in. Both the driver and the navigator were accounted for and safe with only cuts & bruises. Once the safety of the driver and navigator was ascertained everybody that didn't have an immediate involvement in the rescue/salvage process was released and proceeded on with the rest of the poker run. The safety plan that has been in place for all of the years of DS worked perfectly and the people involved were safe and the boat had been recovered and on its trailer by late afternoon.

Everybody is safe, priority number 1. And THAT'S the truth....
... Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.14.03 PM.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not sure what point you are trying to illustrate in that screen shot?

RD

F26

Banned
Reaction score
No way the drives got lifted from the impact of water.. And no way the drives were in that position when the boat was under power. Boat would not even run with drives up that high.

That being said he was still over trimmed and under experienced.

... TRIM.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I will wait for you to illustrate whatever point it is you are trying to make. :)

RD

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it the first day of winter already? It's one day past the last poker run of the year and the drama queens are firing on all cylinders :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is it the first day of winter already? It's one day past the last poker run of the year and the drama queens are firing on all cylinders :D

Well I don't know that I'd call it "drama queens" I do know the owner of the m35 feels very confident that he was cut off etc.. In some of the videos if you take still shots, you might even be able to illustrate that point. I have watched every video, even before a lot of them were taken offline, and I believe what I believe.. But I'd always listen to something else if nothing else to just see where they are coming from.

RD