WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8-71 10-71 12-71 blower?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
If you had a 548 tall deck with 9.3:1 compression what blower would you run and how much boost could you run on 91 octane at havasu elevation with a carb setup.

Richcat861

Reaction score
I have a complete fuel injected quad rotor whipple setup in classifieds $7500.
20180903_184653.jpg

1homeblown

Reaction score
If you had a 548 tall deck with 9.3:1 compression what blower would you run and how much boost could you run on 91 octane at havasu elevation with a carb setup.

Factors need to be addressed. What are you using it for?
Are you running a chiller?
What preference do you have with regard to the age old debate of “spinning an 871 faster as opposed to a 1471 slower”?
Depending on the size of the blower, you may or may not need an offset drive?
If I were you, I’d get with a reputable engine builder and game-plan what you have and what you’re going to use it for then decide what’s best for your application.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted. More engine builds are what keeps some people coming back to these sights. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Im running a 572 inch Bow tie block with Brodix Aluminum heads and a 14-71 with a pair of 1050 Dominators. Im running a 6 inch offset with a Vertex mag. This in a 20 ft Howard Day Cruiser. Makes about 6-8 psi of boost. I think it is actually under driven. I need to count the teeth. The top pulley is a 37 tooth. The bottom is kinda tuff to count on the motor. Stuffed up against the transom. This has a nice whine to it and the BLOWER SURGE makes the girls panties FALL OFF!!!! :)

1homeblown

Reaction score
Are you trying to post with a phone or computer?

1homeblown

Reaction score
Gotta do that on your computer or phone before posting it. At least, that’s how I accomplish that.

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
If I was going to build this motor today. I would set it up with a crank trigger ignition. Then the size of the blower wouldn't matter. This runs super well. I can't take any of the credit for it. Ray Beers kept the boat stored in a garage since 1982. I was just lucky enough to be able to buy it from him two years ago. It was my dream boat that I watched run 111 back in 06 on a radar gun. I run it on premium 90 Ethanol free with 100LL mixed. It has aluminum Brodix heads. The funny part is it is pretty good on fuel for the most part.

MSum661

Reaction score
If I was going to build this motor today. I would set it up with a crank trigger ignition. Then the size of the blower wouldn't matter. This runs super well. I can't take any of the credit for it. Ray Beers kept the boat stored in a garage since 1982. I was just lucky enough to be able to buy it from him two years ago. It was my dream boat that I watched run 111 back in 06 on a radar gun. I run it on premium 90 Ethanol free with 100LL mixed. It has aluminum Brodix heads. The funny part is it is pretty good on fuel for the most part.

Crank Trigger is the only way to fly! Its always dead on.
If you match that up with a Front Drive Distributor you can also pick up a few Ponies by getting the traditional gear drive loads off the end of the cam.

Its good shit!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I love the crank trigger setup on my 440. Fucker always fired instantly. Timing was dead nuts on the light.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
on a BB Chevy?

Yes but you need a multi output ignition box, and a dual signal setup, usually a 4 tooth crank trigger and a single tooth on the cam (a gutted distributor works well and simple for this).

If you aren't doing efi i would stick to a dizzy, but moving the ignition trigger from inside the distributor to the end of the crank shaft has far better timing accuracy as it eliminates all the mechanical slop along with the fact that running a bigger diameter wheel (7-8" vs 2" diameter) means less deviation in the actual manufacturing accuracy, as thousands of an inch mean much more in degrees on the smaller pickup inside the distributor.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yea, mine uses the four magnet deal on the crank wheel and a distributor to send it. Circa 2000. :)

Yes but you need a multi output ignition box, and a dual signal setup, usually a 4 tooth crank trigger and a single tooth on the cam (a gutted distributor works well and simple for this).

If you aren't doing efi i would stick to a dizzy, but moving the ignition trigger from inside the distributor to the end of the crank shaft has far better timing accuracy as it eliminates all the mechanical slop along with the fact that running a bigger diameter wheel (7-8" vs 2" diameter) means less deviation in the actual manufacturing accuracy, as thousands of an inch mean much more in degrees on the smaller pickup inside the distributor.

4Waters

Reaction score

1homeblown

Reaction score
Stack injected, big compression 426 Hemi with EFI in a Belvedere....things my dreams are made of.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Crank trigger is good shit, no doubt. But the cam still needs to drive an oil pump unless you are using an external setup, and that is the load on the cam. ;)

Mopars drive it off the timing chain side anyway, not the opposite end. :) Mopar FTW!!!!

Brian

It also gets takes it off the valve train. Like I said....its good shit! :p

MSum661

Reaction score
Crank trigger is good shit, no doubt. But the cam still needs to drive an oil pump unless you are using an external setup, and that is the load on the cam. ;)

Mopars drive it off the timing chain side anyway, not the opposite end. :) Mopar FTW!!!!

Brian

I know all this.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Nah....looking for an easy 7-10 PSI. No need for race gas. UCH just wants to be into the 60s.

Brian

So now that you have this knowledge are you going to step up and run a 14-71:D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

MSum661

Reaction score
View attachment 646774

Here’s my dads 14-71 with a chiller. MSD clears but a pain in the ass to get too. Cap and distributor can still be removed.

That is tight!! But hey...it flies!! Good!
Back in the mid 90's, we started testing chiller/ 14:71 Blown Gas combo results on the track at about 32-35 lb.s of boost.
Had to resort to an offset to make it work, the Mallory would not drop in any other way.
Same result rotating over to a PSI 206D using the same chiller and completely new blocks.

2nd1995.jpg

If and when another dealeo pans out with a new hull, the one configuration I really like go with is Alan Johnsons 481-X Chevy Motor.
The badass thing about His design is the Mag drops in similar to a Hemi, but, You can remove a cylinder head without pulling off the intake, supercharger/ injector, or the Mag and lift out a fuzzed up rod/piston in a pinch. Thats pretty damn cool.

481-x.jpg

Last edited: