WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8-71 10-71 12-71 blower?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
That's already a proven fact Brian. I have a couple of stories I can tell you when I am not running off to Foxs to meet friends, one about dyno comparison of an engine with a small blower before and after chiller, and another of a 516 cu in Whipple engine I did (no dyno)

Story time???!!! Would like to hear about that 516.

aaronschiada

Reaction score
ive always been told that if you are thinking about buying an 8:71, buy a 10:71. better efficiency.

aaronschiada

Reaction score
then you are good to go buddy! ive got a brand new 60 over 502 blower motor for sale, ready to run. dyno'd at 840HP with 7lbs of boost.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Yes. :)

Sounds like the 10 clears anyway. A 12 will clear with a chiller.

This is a 12-71 by Mooneyham.

IMG_20171224_123622_594.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Lets hear the stories OB1kanobi. :)

That's already a proven fact Brian. I have a couple of stories I can tell you when I am not running off to Foxs to meet friends, one about dyno comparison of an engine with a small blower before and after chiller, and another of a 516 cu in Whipple engine I did (no dyno)

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Brian may have missed it but more details about your hypathetical "build" , boat size,weight,heads, valves ,exaust type , carbs, drive operating altitude, compression, type fuel your prepared to run intended use etc all factored in

PS "add on to current engine or "purpose" built engine

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Purpose built sir.

24 foot Howard vdrive. Puttinsomeasstoaschoolbus. ;)

5k?

990 heads

Hardin manifolds.

full build, whatever it needs.

Studs, shaft rockers, roller cam.

Mead or Havasu, primarily, 500 to 1000'

Id prefer pump gas, 7:1 static prolly, 10PSI max boost.

Brian

Brian may have missed it but more details about your hypathetical "build" , boat size,weight,heads, valves ,exaust type , carbs, drive operating altitude, compression, type fuel your prepared to run intended use etc all factored in

PS "add on to current engine or "purpose" built engine

Last edited:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My last most recent personal boats have been as follows 20' Eliminator cruiser 256 marine blower ran 85+ (v drive) , two 18' jets (one tunnel one V bottom) both over 90 mph all were 454+ all were iron heads 8.5 to 1 all ran 91/110 mix all at sea level none were dyno
eliminator 1.jpg
ed

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Too lazy on the bottom?

How much static/boost can I run with pump gas and still be safe?

Brian

7-1 static compression is "old school" in my opinion. My logic is to use more static compression and a bunch less boost.

milkmoney

Reaction score
12 pages. Any answer or jus bullshit like usual [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
I built a Whipple engine for board member "Stokerwhore", tops out the 120 GPS speedometer with 7 lbs boost, 516 cubic inches. I don't have the link saved, but it might have been put together 9 years ago, give or take?

almost exactly 9 years ago. But it doesn't have that big cam lope/surge, extra weight and heat loss that a roots blower has. Brian wants it ALL :D

https://www.facebook.com/jason.beck...504089792/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

on a serious note i do wish you luck with whatever route /build you go with

Last edited:

Slats

Reaction score
Since its blower talk. What recommendations for a blower on a stock 496 FI motor. Not looking for a drag boat. Just a nice family cruiser that's dependable with a bit more power and all under the hatch.

sintax

Reaction score

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Since its blower talk. What recommendations for a blower on a stock 496 FI motor. Not looking for a drag boat. Just a nice family cruiser that's dependable with a bit more power and all under the hatch.
If your motor is a 8.1 496 mag / Ho, the answer is no blower. They can be made to live but they are very fragile when boosted. It will also kill your resale value. If you do whipple it, have Alexi @ Boostpower do it, he will tune it safe and give you the best shot

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
In my research...I have found that a bigger blower is not always better..like have been mentioned the rest of the engine specs all factor in when supercharging..you can have small stock heads and a tiny cam and bolt on a 177 and make 10 lbs or put ported heads big cam and a chiller and make 2 lbs but more power...boost is just a measure of restriction on the intake charge....you also have to stay in the efficiency range of the blower..a severely underdriven 14-71 might actually make less power than a properly driven 8-71...also it does factor in the amount of power to turn such a big blower....if its taking more power to turn the big blower and the efficiency is at rock bottom what are you really gaining?? if you want just the "cool" factor and don't care about performance then build a custom manifold and bolt on 2 8-71s side by side with a custom drive...that would be cool as hell but probably not make power for shit....my build is consisting of 454 bored .030 over, dart iron heads, decent cam, 6-71 without a chiller, 8.4:1 comp, eagle rods, JE pistons, shooting for 5-7 lbs and the motor builder gaurenteed me reliable turn key 700 hp easily on pump gas....all depends on what you want to achieve I suppose

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Single 4500 series carb? Do you recall what size blower this was?

did you ever dyno this combo?
was? it IS a 3.3L. single 1150 (1050?) dominator. never did dyno it. we did use a digital a/f meter to dial it in though

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
was? it IS a 3.3L. single 1150 (1050?) dominator. never did dyno it. we did use a digital a/f meter to dial it in though
I think it's a 1050, and tuning with the a/f meter was certainly the way to go with your engine. Who cares what the actual horsepower number is if the boat will peg the GPS speedo?

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ok 14 fucking pages. [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sherpa

Reaction score
"god supplied us with 14.7PSI of boost........."

that's worthy of a bumper sticker right there.,,

--Sherpa

1homeblown

Reaction score
Two videos. The only thing I changed was the flywheel. Went from aluminum to steel. Got rid of the surge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1homeblown

Reaction score
Nice, Now we are talkin. Iron headed, iron block.

Why no chiller with free 70 deg water?

Yes sir...iron headed and iron block. Aluminum heads would have been nice just to save a little weight but at this point, I can’t swing it. Heads were ported by Juan Mendoza and came out awesome.
I wanted the old school look without the chiller and without having to run methanol. I decided to run e-85 and have been extremely happy with it thus far.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Nice.

I should have included ethanol, my bad.

I dig the turn out exhaust too.

I love me some Mopars in boats. ;)

Yes sir...iron headed and iron block. Aluminum heads would have been nice just to save a little weight but at this point, I can’t swing it. Heads were ported by Juan Mendoza and came out awesome.
I wanted the old school look without the chiller and without having to run methanol. I decided to run e-85 and have been extremely happy with it thus far.

1homeblown

Reaction score
Nice.

I should have included ethanol, my bad.

I dig the turn out exhaust too.

I love me some Mopars in boats. ;)

Thanks. It’s been quite the ride to get this to where it is.
Exhaust was originally built by Leach. When they first were mounted up, they pointed right at the tanks. Ended up buying a 4” 180* bend from Jegs and scallop cutting it on a band saw. Welded the tips onto the headers and had them recoated. I’m pretty happy with how they came out.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Looks subtle and bad ass.

When I did my first RB in a boat, I had a hard time finding headers, Bassett was MONTHS out, happened to be cruising a Jegs/Summit catalog and came across swept back dragster style headers......hmmmm, that looks pretty cool....in stock....Im SO IN!!!

At the time, I had never seen anyone else run swept back style dragster headers, and now they are pretty common to see.

Brian

Thanks. It’s been quite the ride to get this to where it is.
Exhaust was originally built by Leach. When they first were mounted up, they pointed right at the tanks. Ended up buying a 4” 180* bend from Jegs and scallop cutting it on a band saw. Welded the tips onto the headers and had them recoated. I’m pretty happy with how they came out.

1homeblown

Reaction score
Looks subtle and bad ass.

When I did my first RB in a boat, I had a hard time finding headers, Bassett was MONTHS out, happened to be cruising a Jegs/Summit catalog and came across dragster headers......hmmmm, that looks pretty cool....in stock....Im SO IN!!!

At the time, I had never seen anyone else run swept back style dragster headers, and now they are pretty common to see.

Brian

That’s cool! I’ve had my share of exhaust woes with this as well. Not only did the headers pictured take some work but I have two other sets that won’t work.
The I have are for aftermarket heads (I didn’t know the bolt pattern was different from “street Hemi heads). Learning lesson right there. The other Leach set have Borla mufflers on them but won’t clear the rocker covers when mounted up.
Someday I’ll “fix” those headers and buy a set of zoomies that fit. Just time and money. I have plenty of time. [emoji16]
IMG_6612.JPG