WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What to do with idle cash right now?

2Driver

Reaction score
Let me get hookers and blow out of the way. :)

Im hesitant to do anything except sit on my hands for the next 6 to maybe 12 months but don’t want to earn zero. I’m letting my hard money loans pay off as they all come due over the next 1-8 months.

I was thinking of laddering T bills?
3 month is .67
6 month is 1.1
12 month is 1.77

Any other super safe ideas?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Buy as much real estate as you can! It will only be up 10yrs from now. Its what the smart money is doing 🤪 .

going T-bill route doesn't [ay much more than some online savings banks. Discover is currently @ 0.5%, capital one is at 0.4%, pretty sure these will tick up once we get another rate hike here soon... at least your money is not locked up and very liquid in these situations.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Wait...purchase property if/when there is a downturn in the market. Best returns on your investment.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
That was true in 1962, 1972, 1982, 1992, 2002, 2012, is still true this year or in 18 months, and will be in 2032.

;)
how many properties have you bought in the last 2 years? or plan on buying this year? (other than your get outa jail relocation)

cofooter

Reaction score
I put mine in 17 month 1.25% CD at my credit union. Prett pathetic, and inflation is kicking my ass, but I don't have a better alternative right now.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
how many properties have you bought in the last 2 years? or plan on buying this year? (other than your get outa jail relocation)

Keep in mind my caveat has always been, if it makes financial sense, buy. It takes due diligence. You wouldn't randomly buy a stock, just as you wouldn't randomly buy RE.

Even if you timed it wrong in RE, with a long enough timeline, you will be OK, if you bought it right with the right plan.

I was going to keep my house in CA and rent it, but it made more sense to sell in this market. RE is a commodity.

2Driver

Reaction score
Wait...purchase property if/when there is a downturn in the market. Best returns on your investment.
Best move was getting your kid that place near ASU. I bet it might pay for his college.

I just need a place to park cash for 6-12.

I think housing is about to take a hair cut and I have 1 house plus 3 more sitting in hard money.

2Driver

Reaction score
iBonds pay 7.25%, I think you can do $10k max a year.

What are those. i heard a guy on the finance channels talking about those and couldnt find anything

When I hear 7% my bs meter starts to go off

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Farm Land or this..something blue.

pc12.jpg

Flatsix66

Reaction score
How about Russia war-related defense stocks? AVAV makes the Switchblade 600 tank buster drone - up 30% in the last 30 days. Raytheon or Lockhead Martin who make the Javillin.

hallett21

Reaction score
City municipality bonds have a tax free return. Not sure how long you need to be tied up for.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I moved all of ours into the bond fund in our different 401k's in the beginning of January. I have earned 1.75% in one and 1.89% in the other. Yes I know I am losing money with inflation, but I think it would be worse in the near future.

I never use to move or try to time the market. I did move it for the first time in the beginning of covid. Got back in when it was pretty low. Not the bottom, but it ended up working really well for us. Those gains will offset anything I miss out on for many years. Hope I am right again, but it is a gamble.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Buy Bitcoin today,
Rich tomorrow,
Broke shortly after,
And if you’re lucky,
Break even just after that

All seriousness, some crypto in a diversified portfolio is not a bad idea.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Buy Bitcoin today,
Rich tomorrow,
Broke shortly after,
And if you’re lucky,
Break even just after that

All seriousness, some crypto in a diversified portfolio is not a bad idea.

my fund i have some money just asked me if I wanted to put some crypto in my portfolio. it was something like 10% of total investments. I said no and bought a boat slip instead. Now I just need a boat to put in it 🤔

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
my fund i have some money just asked me if I wanted to put some crypto in my portfolio. it was something like 10% of total investments. I said no and bought a boat slip instead. Now I just need a boat to put in it 🤔

Sounds like you need to buy some crypto to buy a boat.

Jim

Reaction score
Large Cap aggresive growth Mutuals.
Vanguard...., Fidelity,..... etc.... Pick your favorite Fund House.....
All double digit annual growth.....